Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Borovets

Poster: A snowHead
Hi
We’ve booked our first skiing holiday in Borovets Bulgaria on January 21st.
Wondered if anyone had any tips for this particular resort?
We’ve learned to ski in Chillfactore so know the basics. Have booked with Iglu Ski with equipment and lessons.
Getting a bit worried as there does not seem to be any snow in their forecast and they have put back the resort opening. Just assumed there would definitely be snow in January but getting a little concerned now.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're also getting worried as we're supposed to be going there on 7th January. Sad

Our trip on 21st January 2022 was amazing though so you should be ok.

Not sure what tips you are after, it's a fairly small place. The Rila Hotel terrace was a nice place to hang out for drinks during the day with a nice view of the slopes.
Soft drinks are nearly as expensive as the local beer! The bars tends to give free voka shots if you around.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you. Think I was more looking for re-assurance on the snow than anything else.
We are booked in to the Hotel Lion which is just under a mile outside the main town I believe.
Was looking for recommendations on where to eat or where to avoid eating. We don’t really know very much so just wondered if people who’ve been before hand tips that could save us time and money.
Very excited, will be a lot more excited when I see the resort open.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, Hotel Lion is quite a long way out of the main resort. We've only stayed in resort on our 3 trips.

Last Jan, these were the places we ate at that we liked, Pizza Bar&Grill Grizzly and Titanic Bar &Dinner. The places to the side of the main gondola were also decent for lunches.
Buzz Bar had live bands and was quite lively after the lift closed. Black Tiger was ok but we preferred the atmosphere at Buzz.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It’s far too early to be worrying about snow. snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
NeddySkiGoon wrote:
It’s far too early to be worrying about snow. snowHead

For end of January it is too early to be worried about, but the weather forecast is 10C up until the end of the year so start of January is a problem! Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 18-12-22 15:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks so much for that. Gives us a good starting point. The hotel has a free shuttle in and out of town through the day and we are hoping to rent a locker to keep our hire gear in overnight so we can spend time in town then walk back to hotel.
Also thinking of giving the night skiing a go as long as my knees are holding up!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fj2k wrote:
Thanks so much for that. Gives us a good starting point. The hotel has a free shuttle in and out of town through the day and we are hoping to rent a locker to keep our hire gear in overnight so we can spend time in town then walk back to hotel.
Also thinking of giving the night skiing a go as long as my knees are holding up!!

I tried it, wasn't worth it. The night skiing in Canada were miles better.

Mind you, if you've never done it before, it's probably worth giving it a go.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. As a matter of interest how many ski suits do you take?
We are planning on taking 2 ski jackets and 2 salopettes each. Take it that should be ok for 7 days?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fj2k, seems plenty for skiing but it really depends what else you are planning to do in them. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fj2k, As ster said, 2 each is plenty. I never needed more than 1 set of outer wear for a trip, even the 14 days ones.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fj2k wrote:
We are planning on taking 2 ski jackets and 2 salopettes each. Take it that should be ok for 7 days?

I take a variety of layers, but never felt the need to take more than 1 Jacket with 1 pair of Ski Pants. Spare Gloves and spare Goggles with a different lens also a good idea.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
fj2k wrote:

That's enough for doing a season. One of each per person should suffice, and you have to consider your baggage allowance.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all I’ll just take one of each then. First trip do trying to make sure don’t get there and end up short of stuff.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
plenty of base and mid layers so you find the right combo for the temperatures, as beginner you need less layers than you think as you are working hard learning.

spare gloves in case some idiot loses one or they get soaking wet is wise, as is spare googles in case they break etc.

my mate was very grateful to find out I'd packed a spare buff for a ski weekend when he'd left his at home....
snow report
For your first trip, I'd make sure you have booked lessons in the resort. I wouldn't be worried about snow conditions.

If you have young kids you are better not staying in Town.
snow report
We stayed in the Lion several years ago, 2009 and enjoyed the hotel.

Free shuttle bus to and from the lifts so that's fine, its a decent walk up after dinner for beers etc.

The hotel pool was too cold to use.

Katies steak bar was a good shout for a group of us for my wifes birthday whilst we were there. Not sure if it's still open.
ski holidays
Take your own paracetamol and ibrophrophen they charge a fortune for it there.
You'll have a good time as a beginner. The night life can be a bit sketchy though
ski holidays
Quote:

spare gloves in case some idiot loses one or they get soaking wet is wise, as is spare googles in case they break etc.

Shirley if you break/loose your goggles you visit a ski shop and buy replacements. Why fill your luggage with stuff you don't need. Take one pair of goggles and one pair of gloves. Better to have a single quality pair than two poorer ones.

Similarly with clothes for skiing: one jacket, one pair of trousers, one thin mid layer, one thicker, one or two base layers and some leggings, one or two pair of socks, a hat. A few clothes for going out in the evening. What more do you need?

Why do people want to take so much stuff with them?
snow conditions
I always take 2 pairs of gloves (5 finger and mittens [unless it's spring and too hot for mittens]) and 2 pairs of goggles (dark and light lens) but rarely 2 pairs of pants/jackets.
snow report
johnE wrote:

Shirley if you break/loose your goggles you visit a ski shop and buy replacements. Why fill your luggage with stuff you don't need. Take one pair of goggles and one pair of gloves. Better to have a single quality pair than two poorer ones.

The reason to bring spares, is it's often much more expensive to buy them in resort, than source them cheaply from the likes of TK Maxx (£24 Goggles/£20 Rossignol Gloves/55% off Reusch Gloves) and Sport Pursuit.
snow report
@Old Fartbag, perhaps, but when was the last time you broke any goggles. My gloves and goggles have now gone, perhaps 250 days without incident (well I stuck some new leather on the gloves last year). That's dozens of trips when I could have carted around unneeded spares. Perhaps I am just not a "I'll take these just in case" type of person.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
@Old Fartbag, perhaps, but when was the last time you broke any goggles. My gloves and goggles have now gone, perhaps 250 days without incident (well I stuck some new leather on the gloves last year). That's dozens of trips when I could have carted around unneeded spares. Perhaps I am just not a "I'll take these just in case" type of person.

I was really coming at the issue by having 2 different lens options (as well as being a spare).

I'm paranoid about my kit - but I know those who aren't and regularly appear to break and lose their stuff.

I have had Gloves stolen. When staying in Mottaret, I literally walked out of the Boot Locker, realised I had left my Gloves on the seat and walked back a minute later. They had been stolen in that time. I informed reception, in case some good Samaritan had handed them in - but no luck. More likely though, is Gloves get wet through.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy