Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Crans Montana at Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Found a good deal through directski.

Anyone been? Snow at Christmas??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been at Christmas, but the twice I've been (last week of Jan on both occasions) there's been too much snow!!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elizabeth B,

What did you think of the resort? Is it expensive?

I can get a hotel Chrimbo week for £580 incl flights and ski boot hire
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnboy, I was there in summer about 8 years ago and it was horribly expensive. I skied there in the early 80's and liked the domain, and they've probably only improved it since then. Hated the ambiance in summer though - very snobby!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, I was there last Christmas and have skied there a number of times each season for the last 8 years. Where are you looking at staying? Crans is more up market than Montana.

You shouldn't have too much problem with snow and there is extensive snowmaking, but you can't be certain. Given the sun is at it's weakest at that time of year the southerly aspect of the resort doesn't make too much difference.

Like all of switzerland it's as expensive as you want to make it, but I can go out for an evening of pizza, wine and beer and not spend any more than I would in Brighton.
latest report
 brian
brian
johnboy, if you go and fancy a day trip to the Anniviers, give me a shout snowHead
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

hotel Chrimbo week for £580 incl flights and ski boot hire

Is that half-board? If yes, then book it before someone else takes it!!

There is a small glacier area so some skiing is virtually guaranteed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the ice perv,

Yes H/B 3* Hotel on the outskirts of Montana
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv, in two weeks in Crans, I've only managed to get upto the glacier on one day...it's been shut the rest of the time....so I wouldn't book a holiday based on that!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, I think I know the one, is it through Inghams? It's a 15/20 minute walk into town from there. OK if you don't mind a stroll into town in the evening. The hotel does run a bus during the day to the lifts and there is a regular free navette service in the town.

the ice perv,
Quote:

There is a small glacier area so some skiing is virtually guaranteed.

sadly the best bit on the glacier was closed all last winter as the ice levels have fallen so much that you would need a ladder to get up to the lift. I don't know if they are doing some work on it over the summer. It would be a real shame if it's gone for good.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

the best bit on the glacier was closed all last winter

Bummer. It's been years since I've been there but the views from the top were crackalackin!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I had a good Christmas skiing there a couple of years ago - but the snow only just came in time that year, most of the slopes were apparently green the week before.

I wouldn't rush to spend _another_ week there, but it was good for one week and didn't get too busy. Nice place IMO.

(+ the all important gluhwein at the lift on xmas day)
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steve Sparks, I skied on the glacier at C-M in Jan 06. Not sure which lifts were shut, all seemed to be running.
Elizabeth B, The 2 trips I have had to C-M the glacier access has remained open throughout my stay.

johnboy, Hotel De la Foret perhaps?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snow_rat, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I can get a hotel Chrimbo week for £580 incl flights and ski boot hire

unless it's an extremely flash hotel you can probably get a better discount by waiting for a last minute booking, when the snow outlook is clearer.
snow conditions
Steve Sparks, snowbunny,

Yes, it's Hotel de la Foret. Do you have experience of it?

Is the first lift up a Cable Car? Don't like cable cars. Always get too hot while queing
snow report
johnboy, Have not stayed there personally, but I have been past it loads of times, and seen their shuttle minibus running to/from the Violettes Gondola, which is the nearest lift. Never queued there for more than a couple of minutes Very Happy
ski holidays
johnboy, the three uplifts from the village are all gondolas.
latest report
johnboy, based on my experiences of Switzerland, a long weekend in Wengen and a week and a bit in Zermatt (where we are going for xmas on the 23rd Dec), if you are used to skiing in France, Switzerland can seem a relative bargain.

We tend to base most of our comparisons by:
a) A pint
and b) A decent meal (BBQ spare ribs or such like)

and while the food has been around the same price as France, massive savings are to be found on drink. Whereas being used to paying E5.5 - E7 (£4-£5.50) for a beer in France, the most we paid in Zermatt was Chf5.5 (about £2.60). While I've never been to Crans Montana, b4 we went to Zermatt we'd heard stories about how expensive it was, as was Switzerland in general, we found it FAR better value than your average french resort.
snow conditions
Crans was way cheaper than Zermatt...but it's a few years ago since I went there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

A decent meal (BBQ spare ribs or such like)

I suppose that would count as haute cuisine to a scouser... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
Charlatanefc, yep. The cost of living in French resorts has rocketed past the Swiss over the last 10 years or so.
snow conditions
the ice perv, after a full days skiing, I tend to leave the salads for the rabbits Wink Tried Moose when we in Zermatt last Jan, very nice it was too, almost like a pre-peppered beef, but a lot more tender. Better than a cockney's idea of a gourmet meal anyway, a doner kebab or pie and mash Wink

brian, aye. I almost had a heart attack a year last xmas when I bought a round in La Mine in Plagne 1800. Good job we never went to Courchevel altiport Shocked
snow report
Moose Charlatanefc? Ha! I can trump that:- I had ostrich in Les Crosets at easter, and very nice it was too. Doesn't really taste like poultry at all. I was less keen on the horse steak tho, I wouldn't recommend it over beef, except for novelty value.

Couldn't find a kebab shop anywhere. Now there's a business opportunity: a chain of mountain-top kebab shops! You would coin it in in Andorra.....

Anyway don't you Everton fans:
"look in dustbins for something to eat,
you find a dead cat and call it a treat,
in your Everton slums"??

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 brian
brian
the ice perv, naw, it's a rat, not a cat.

And it's Weegie slums, not Everton ones Laughing

You are a weegie, a smelly weegie
You're only happy on giro day
Your Ma's a stealer, your dad's a dealer
Please don't take my hubcaps away

repeat ad infinitum
ski holidays
brian, you'll have to let me know who the "Weegies" are I'm afraid! As you're from Edinburgh I'd guess either Hearts or Hibs..........?
latest report
 brian
brian
the ice perv, Weegies == Glaswegians, so either half of the Old Firm.
ski holidays
Weegie is usually followed by the word Scum wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spent a day in Crans at half term February so can't comment on the hotels but there seemed to be plenty of them. I particulalry noted the Best Western very close to the Crans cable car. I thought the skiing was excellent and the glacier was open. A few challenging blacks and lots of high speed wide open reds. The area is essentially 4 linked villages and you can get a long way. Have thought about revisiting for a longer stretch next winter and I guess if you've got transport then you can nip across to Portes du Soleil on the other side of the valley.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy