Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort for last ski holiday, odd requests, sorry!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Geneva - Verbier or Zermatt are where I would go for the purposes you’ve mentioned.

If budget is not a big issue Verbier could work. Private car transfer eg Tesla transfers will be comfortable and approx 1h45. W hotel is top notch and next to the main lift (big comfortable gondola with seats). 3 good on mountain restaurants accessible by the lift and a couple of others in and opposite the hotel.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi. We’ve definitely narrowed it down to either Ischgl or St Anton - my preference is St Anton as I’ve been there many times before but haven’t taken the boys - they would love the snow park there. Just working on accommodation/bespoke package options - sadly Snow Wise can’t book flights from Birmingham, so currently trying Ski Solutions - I don’t have the energy to book it all myself separately and as we want a private transfer the big companies don’t really do that!
Nearly there, I hope Eh oh!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
From experience Ski Solutions are a great company.

I hope you have a wonderful trip.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, hope that all works out well, @LucillaP. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:

A big +1 snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
j b wrote:
That Tschuggen place sounds perfect if the budget is large enough, love the idea of the private funicular though I couldn't see anything showing where it connects into the pistes. Is there a cafe at the top for @LucillaP to watch the skiing world go by when she isn't venturing herself?

The transfer might be a bit of a challenge, since from Zurich airport you need to change trains at Zurich Hbf and then at Chur. But the final stretch on the mountain railway to Arosa is spectacular, you need to be sure to do it in daylight. (In fact, even going for a private transfer I would be tempted to take it just to Chur and then do the final stretch on the train, it would all be part of a truly memorable trip).

[url=https://www.google.com/maps/@46.7806831,9.6634282,3a,75y,3.98h,93.76t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1sQROdOa-vV4gjoBtOpZVnzQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i33][/url]

For reference if anyone comes back to the thread, the top of the funicular is very close to the Tschuggenhutte cafe, either walkable or short ski down. Link above to google maps at a point where you see both (red flag is top of Tschuggen express). Then either walk back up to Tschuggen Express or ski down to chair lift at Inner Arosa which then take you back higher than TE to enable a ski back to it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arrived on this late regretfully.

If ever there was a case for a Club Med this might be it

Ski In/Ski out, boys returning for lunch to meet you with the potential of a trip out.

Much love and strength
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@LucillaP, yup, agree with @NoMapNoCompass, Ski Solutions are a great company. Very helpful.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cacciatore wrote:
pam w wrote:

A big +1 snowHead
+ another one!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
if it helps Inghams has the option to book private transfers with their packages.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I tried Inghams, no, only coach transfers. I tried Ski Solutions, only 3 options 2 in Ischgl, one on a hill and then only one option in St Anton B&B when I specifically asked for half board in case I needed to leave. Bit frustrated and upset as back to square one - I’d kind of set my heart on going back to St Anton for my last holiday and show the boys why I loved it so much. Think I’m going to need to summon up the energy to book everything separately.

Has anyone used booking.com to book their accommodation? Are they reliable? Thanks again everyone
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@LucillaP, have you considered more of a bespoke travel booking company? I often see the owner of this company, Andrea, on a Facebook page I'm on and she seems very helpful:

https://colubristravel.com/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@LucillaP

As someone else has mentioned it and you are back to square one, I suggest you have a look at Club Med especially the one at Samoens as that's just over an hour away from Geneva. I've just checked and you can depart from/to Luton. Transfers are generally by Mini Bus or taxi, so none of the faff with dropping off and you should have some space.

Samoens is directly on the piste. Its also fully inclusive so the boys will be back to see you at lunch time. They will also be fully catered for if you unfortunately need to head home - With ski instruction/guiding (if they want) you won't need to worry about that either.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@LucillaP, do Ski Safari do Austria? We used them for Switzerland several times and they put the package together for us.

Otherwise, if the Arosa suggestion is on the cards (though I hate to think what that hotel costs) I am sure Jason at Snow Motions could sort you out.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@LucillaP, if you think you need to book it all separately, and feel that might be difficult to do yourself, I’d be happy to help with practical advice direct.

I’m just a keen and experienced skier and traveller. Not an agent. No connection to, or axe to grind, with anyone connected with travel industry. Not interested in getting anything out of it personally.

I’ve been to St Anton about 6 times and loved it. Been a while since my last trip there but with the knowledge and support of snowHeads that’s not a problem.

Sounds like you live within striking distance of Birmingham, as you mention preferring flights from there. Me too.

Obviously, if you prefer the reassurance that comes with a bona fide package, that’s what to look for first before going ‘off piste’ as it were. If package options were completely exhausted, with nothing suitable emerging, then putting the jigsaw pieces together should be fine, in my experience.

If I can help just PM me.
snow conditions
@PeakyB,
That is such a kind offer. I’m just trying another lady that someone else has suggested and she did 9 ski seasons in St Anton so hopefully we can work out something together.

Thanks again
Lucilla
snow report
@LucillaP, if you have a local travel agent, it is the sort of thing that they would do for you too.
ski holidays
@LucillaP, you can’t beat that detailed resort knowledge, so hope that works well for you Smile
snow conditions
Here are some hotel suggestions in St Anton based on the OP requirements. There are lots of St Anton regulars on this forum so there might be other good suggestions.

Closest to Galzig/Gampen lifts:
https://www.ullrhaus.at/en - new mid-sized hotel opened last year, I've not stayed here yet.

https://www.skihotelgalzig.at/en - smaller hotel, modern, B & B only so good if you prefer to eat out, underground car park with lift directly into hotel. I've stayed here lots of times. Very close to Jennewein ski rental.

https://www.hotel-post.co.at/en.html - Big, traditional hotel, still very close to lifts, you can walk through the old railway subway to the gampen lift. Good food, convenient parking (outside). I've stayed here twice.

All 3 of the above hotels are owned by the Alber family who own various hotels and shops in the town.

https://www.mooserhotel.at/en/info/mooserwirt/ - this is a bit different, it's a luxury hotel actually on the slope owned by and next to the most famous apres spot in St Anton, the Mooserwirt bar. Easy to meet up with the family for lunch (the food is good in the bar), and apres-ski.
latest report
@LucillaP, there is a good chance that you may have to put it together but don't b let that intimidate you.

The basics are quite straightforward. I've had a look for 1-8th April and both the Post and Sport Hotels have rooms (I looked for two rooms for 4 people).

On the flights front, I struggled a little bit and only really got good options from Heathrow (BA) or City (Swiss). I looked to keep the flights to reasonable times eg after 10.30 and before 16.20. All the outbound flights are around 12.00 and Heathrow returns are 15,35 and 1⁶.00. city Return is at 11.00.

As for transport to get there. I'm sure the girls would arrange it for you, otherwise Der Lecher do private transfers. As people mentioned, the train works be a great option, if that works for you.

Similar to @PeakyB, very happy to help if that makes life easier... Just DM.
snow report
Hi
It looks like we are finally sorted, thank goodness. Just got to put the final package together but the Hotel Ullrhaus have very kindly put a 2 bed suite on hold for us for a week just to get everything else in place.

Thanks again everyone. Have a good weekend.
Lucilla
latest report
Brilliant news @LucillaP. I'm hoping all the last pieces drop into place to give you a fantastic trip.
snow report
That’s great @LucillaP, genuine best wishes for a fantastic holiday.
ski holidays
@LucillaP, Glad it's coming together, well done Very Happy

@JohnS4, first I'd known about Mooserhotel...learning point of the day. If money is ever no object, looks a shoo-in. They seem to offer apartments too but I couldn't quite work out details from their website. An entertaining view from a piste side window, for sure, of the wacky races style mayhem of the home run for the Mooserwirt apres table dancing crowd Laughing
snow report
@LucillaP, I am delighted your plan is coming together and hope you have a fantastic time.

I didn't suggest where I would like to go, as it literally meets none of your criteria.

The top (2551m) decommissioned Cable Car station on Solaise (Val D'Isere) - which I was in many times when using the Cable Car - has been turned into a 5* Hotel. Once the Bubble closes, you are up there for the night. https://en.lerefuge-valdisere.com/

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/france/rhone-alpes/hotels/le-refuge-de-solaise-hotel/
ski holidays
rambotion wrote:
@LucillaP, IMO you get a better choice of resorts with short transfer times from Innsbruck, 1 hour 20 minutes roughly to either Ischgl or St Anton. Late season Iscgl is probably one of the best resorts in the alps

The only problem with Innsbruck is that there are not daily flights in case the holiday has to be cut short.

However, from Innsbruck - otherwise an excellent choice as a small airport, if somewhere a lot easier than Ischgl is required, and still with some height for April, then try Obergurgl. Lots of 4 star hotels, not at all crowded anywhere, and lots of Gondolas (which may be easier for uplift) very close to hotels. About the same transfer time as Ischgl.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy