Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at lift passes, this seems to be a cheap day pass, CHAMSKIDEAL - 1 Day (Brévent, Flégère, Grands Montets, Domaine de Balme)

Is it possible to just buy that for each day 4 days @ the variable rate appears to total Euro 167 vs a 4 day pass at Euro 224?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@kitenski, it is the cheapest way to do things. Bit of a pain if you don't already have a chamonix (or Courmayeur, or maybe Verbier, or Evasion) physical pass. Cos then you need to buy 4 new ones.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski wrote:
@snowdave, that's very kind thanks!! Typical student, been talking about going out for weeks and left it all last minute! Is your apartment in Argentiere?

Yep, an estate agent would call it "ski in ski out" but that requires a snowy carpark.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, thanks, so they'd also pay for a physical card on top of that (but only once?)
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kitenski wrote:
@under a new name, thanks, so they'd also pay for a physical card on top of that (but only once?)

Unfortunately unless you already have one in your hand then you'ld need to buy 4no per person (as you'll not know the number of any of them to recharge).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@kitenski, friends just did exactly that over Christmas. Do you want me to see if they brought a whole fistful of cards back with them? You would then only need to buy 1no each of them and charge 4 times onto that one card (as you'ld know the number). They're local to you (unless you've moved).

PM me if you want me to find out.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@midgetbiker, thanks, she is still dithering about where to go!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@kitenski,
FuBar is popular with the youth and quite fun, my son is doing a bit of dj'ing there! Other than that it's The Office Bar or popping down to Chamonix.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski wrote:
@midgetbiker, thanks, she is still dithering about where to go!!

You're set if you do need them, she came back with 20no! rolling eyes rolling eyes

They're in Thorner, so that's near you right?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@midgetbiker, Shocked
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
No snow in France?

Chamonix Valley is proper firing this week
Le Tour village yesterday

Little people did well up Grands Montets today. Mixing up some kiddie piste laps with side stashes of the magic forrest and bochard.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski wrote:
Looking at lift passes, this seems to be a cheap day pass, CHAMSKIDEAL - 1 Day (Brévent, Flégère, Grands Montets, Domaine de Balme)

Is it possible to just buy that for each day 4 days @ the variable rate appears to total Euro 167 vs a 4 day pass at Euro 224?

Has the exact same issue.... It is a total pain that dynamic pricing makes individual day passes cheaper than x4 day passes rolling eyes when is your trip? Can maybe post your some cards (so long as you send them back)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@midgetbiker, yeah that's just around the corner, thanks!!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Haggis_Trap, It was proper lovely up the Grands today.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We left Chamonix on Saturday - bloody typical!! Laughing

On the bright side, Im back there on the 23rd Cool

Does anyone know if La Vormaine has had enough snow to open? Also, is Les Houches fully open now?

Wanted to take my little person to both last week but conditions didnt allow so hoping to get them there when we come back
snow report
@PortSki, don't know about vormaine but doubt it. Les Houches rejoicing today that they can open two chairlifts atnthe top ...
snow conditions
Did a couple of runs up Flégère with the niblings this morning, thankfully truncated by tennis lessons as light getting rather flat. Snow on piste perfectly excellent. Side piste traversed off Floria red a rather weird windblown thing. Defo not yesterdays smoke up the Grands.
snow conditions
Quote:

We left Chamonix on Saturday - bloody typical!!

Same, 10 days of super warm April style conditions and I leave the day before the dump. Oh well, 5 weeks until the next trip Happy
snow report
What is the word on the street re: the next big dump of snow? I find the forcast and what actually happens tend not to tally up too well
snow report
PortSki wrote:
What is the word on the street re: the next big dump of snow? I find the forcast and what actually happens tend not to tally up too well

I'd be happy with even HALF of what's forecast next week. Snow-forecast.com is saying a metre plus.
snow conditions
@Georgert, personally I find nosnow-forecast rather crap. Meteoblue.com is a lot more reliable and for Chamonix valley, Le Tour as reference most sensible. (To an extent, who cares if it’s raining in town if it’s snowing at 1,460?) e.g. https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/14-days/le-tour_france_2999138

And, of course, for short forecasts, Chamonix Meteo
latest report
Popped over to Vallorcine yesterday to ski Le Tour area. Much improved on piste, we could even ski back down Foret Verte to the train station.
I noticed that Retour Pendant on GM is still not open - does anyone know why, I'd have thought there must be enough snow by now?
ski holidays
@philipb,
Quote:

ski back down Foret Verte

Shocked That's good.

Pendant? discouraging skiing Lavancher? technical issue? coverage on lower pistes? Anyway you just need not to ski lower than the tunnel Twisted Evil
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@philipb,
Quote:

ski back down Foret Verte

Shocked That's good.

Pendant? discouraging skiing Lavancher? technical issue? coverage on lower pistes? Anyway you just need not to ski lower than the tunnel Twisted Evil

It's fine to ski lower than the tunnel, as long as you don't mind getting the bus back from Lavancher. I'd imagine that's a little rocky and rooty right now tho Happy
ski holidays
@snowdave, haha! well, quite!! (And probably).
latest report
@snowdave, it's fine to ski lower than the tunnel, so long as you packed your skins. Cool
snow report
@midgetbiker, that too, of course!
snow report
My daughter and neice have had a great time today skiing Le Tour.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dunc999, I bet.
snow report
Skied GM today. Nice if heavy pow but wind scoured in places. Plenty of large rocks out there. Pity of flat light to mess with stuff. Loads of snow at the higher elevations, the steeps off the top of the Bochard were as filled in as I've ever seen them. Pir Ric was firm man made snow, but fine for the run home.
snow report
Quote:

Anyway you just need not to ski lower than the tunnel

Indeed - we skied Lavancher a couple of days ago and I was surprised how far down we could get and still traverse across to the tunnel, never tried before as Pendant is normally running.
Did a wee tour up to the Loriaz refuge today - pretty decent conditions and the Croute was as good as ever!
snow conditions
For those who were there, if you don't mind explaining for CHAMSKIDEAL, without the RFID card, do we just need to purchase a card when we are there? How much is that?
latest report
@ad1, (Welcome to snowHead s)

No. It's the usual crappy CdMB website designers hard at work.

Instructions are here https://www.chamskideal.com/en/products/chamskideal-1-day-brevent-flegere-grands-montets-domaine-de-balme?type=1&start_date=2023-01-13

Hard to find and hard to interpret.

If you don't have a "keycard" you have to at least buy one online and you get your keycard with its WTP (whatever, probably short for "unique ski card code" in German) number on it which you can then use for future purchases (but you then need to register it to your account, despite having bought it through your account).

So if you want more than one card and don't have one already, you need to buy a new one for each day.

It's a nice concept and e.g. my bro saved quite a lot of money last year (and we always have a few cards floating around which made it easy) but someone didn't think the workflow through on this one Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
under a new name wrote:

So if you want more than one card and don't have one already, you need to buy a new one for each day.
It's a nice concept and e.g. my bro saved quite a lot of money last year (and we always have a few cards floating around which made it easy) but someone didn't think the workflow through on this one Shocked rolling eyes rolling eyes

Here is the interesting thing... If you pick up a ticket for an under 5 (free) from ticket office they give you a paper ticket which works with the RFID turnstiles.
snow report
Haggis_Trap wrote:

Here is the interesting thing... If you pick up a ticket for an under 5 (free) from ticket office they give you a paper ticket which works with the RFID turnstiles.

… and (at least when mine were under 5) it alerts the lifties that you’re an under-5 through a different bleep and light flash combo so they can tell that the scummy seasonaire is trying it on!
snow report
@Haggis_Trap, the rfid chip doesn't need a robust plastic wrapper
latest report
Well, it's snowing pretty well at town level and settling ... snowHead
latest report
Let the games begin....
ski holidays
Does anyone have info on today's avalanche of cornu chair towards liason
latest report
@Wallski, only that it spread onto the piste
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy