Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
@timlongs, Yep, I have no idea what your solution would be. other than that!

@snowdave, The train's a massively under-used resource, to the extent that I wonder whether Transdev's contract forbids its development.

And small buses. These full size ones are literally too big for the roads.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@snowdave, many thanks, I think we will give Argenteire ago then, it’s our favourite place any how .
We can leave Les gets around 7.00am so should be there around 8.00 .
@HammondR, Thanks I’ll check that out as well
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I realise this isn't exactly weather-related, but didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but...

We arrived in Les Houches yesterday afternoon and on every bit of snow in town, there seems to be dog poo-poo. And lots of it.

I've never noticed it before on my visits to the area. Is this a French half-term thing?!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Is this a French half-term thing?!

It's a "no snow has fallen recently to cover it up" thing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Most of it looked fresh though. Some of it appearing between our walk to the tourist office and back. Not to mention the stuff on the pavement sections, where the lack of fresh snow excuse definitely doesn't cut it.

Absolutely disgusting either way. Makes our dirty little part of Brum look like the sparkliest streets of Switzerland!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jebroni3_16 wrote:
I realise this isn't exactly weather-related, but didn't want to start a new thread just for this, but...

We arrived in Les Houches yesterday afternoon and on every bit of snow in town, there seems to be dog poo-poo. And lots of it.

I've never noticed it before on my visits to the area. Is this a French half-term thing?!

No, I've lived in the valley since 2010 and it's the worst it's been in ages. Peak poo is always when the snow melts but for some reason it's felt much worse than usual (possibly because this is the first busy winter since 2020, who knows)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was in Chamonix last winter and was struck by the amount of dog poo on the streets and the same in Montpellier last autumn, seems to be a French thing. Whether it is better or worse than leaving it hanging from a tree in a plastic bag, I don't know
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s absolutely disgusting and a nightmare with young kids. I’m praying for rain not snow just to wash some of it away. I’ve no idea what the solution is. The police obviously don’t care. I think half the poo in the Japanese Garden is from their own dogs.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@jebroni3_16, it's Parisien half term, and IME, that's the worst week. Although it is, at any time, shocking. But not at all unique to Cham.

I have yelled at people who are letting their dogs poo-poo in the street.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is it law that they should bag it and it just isn't enforced? Its a cliche but true I think, the French and their dogs and the consequent merde everywhere
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perhaps, like the Brits, French people now think 3 dogs is the norm. 3 times the shite. 3 times the nuisance when they're walking on an extending lead. And people who rent out accommodation aren't even allowed to say no to the damn things wiping their bums on the sofas.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have to say I never noticed that issue last week in StG & as a dog owner who we take over to StG it is the sort of thing I look out for because if you have a dog, you have to clean up after it.
StG has impressed me over the year with this as they have poo bags free to use in holders at various places throughout town & they are always stocked, something I feel would be emptied in seconds by unruly teenagers' if in the UK
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The French just don't seem to have the cultural expecation that you pick up your dog's turds. It's certainly disgusting. We didn't have a dog when I was a kid but my memory is that we were no better in the 70s and 80s but that it became socially unacceptable by the 90s. The French don't seem to have got the memo yet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Jonny996,
Quote:

poo bags free to use in holders

So does Chamonix. The Chamonix (at least) Mairie could do itself a big financial favour by enacting a by law (if there isn't one) fining dog owners who foul some number of €s. Also by enforcing parking on non-residents (they tend to only ticket local plates, to avoid discouraging the tourists).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never mind the dogs. I saw a parent helping their kid poop on the side of the pavement in Paris Shocked
latest report
Good, we're definitely blaming it on the Parisians then!

under a new name wrote:
The Chamonix (at least) Mairie could do itself a big financial favour by enacting a by law (if there isn't one) fining dog owners who foul some number of €s. Also by enforcing parking on non-residents (they tend to only ticket local plates, to avoid discouraging the tourists).

We spotted a British registered Porsche getting ticketed in Chamonix yesterday. Had parked half up the kerb near the swimming pool.

And someone getting done for speeding by the gendarmerie in Les Houches too. Didn't catch sheet département that vehicle was registered in though.
snow conditions
Some season this has turned out to be. We are now finding more relevance in the depth of dog muck than snow.

I did however notice what a filthy mess the streets were in as the snow retreated last week. Plenty there before Paris holiday week.
snow report
@jebroni3_16, speeding is gendarmes, parking police muni ... presumably a difference in management?

@HammondR, it's ALWAYS the Parisiens fault wink
snow report
HammondR wrote:
Some season this has turned out to be. We are now finding more relevance in the depth of dog muck than snow.

Early candidate for quote of the season there!
latest report
8611 wrote:
HammondR wrote:

Early candidate for quote of the season there!

Which also means I don't feel quite so bad about the thread drift!

Missus is flying home in a few hours and I'll then get 4 days on the slopes, so will attempt to add something more relevant once that happens.
snow report
@jebroni3_16, please do!

Meanwhile we were up till 03:45 chit chatting and are wondering "Castel" or "Tennis"?
snow report
Im out next weekend with mates (intermediate) & looks like StG is going to be terrible. Ashamed to admit it but in the 7 years i have been skiing , i have only ever skiedthe StG or LC areas. So reccomendations appreciated . We have a car.
ski holidays
@Jonny996, LCs not so good?

Got to be GMs really then.
snow conditions
Cham ski tour conditions???

Thinking of heading out next weekend for a few days, how are conditions on the ski tour routes? Valley Blanche, pointe ronde, Les houche, col du noir - Argentiere, etc etc
snow report
Coming next monday on my own and just wondered how the piestes are doing would like to try get off piest but if not ill be happy to just get on the board lol
ski holidays
Was at plannards today with my daughter getting some practise in. Very pleased that I managed to get her up on to the blue slope there. Pistes there were actually spot on if a bit slushy by the afternoon in the sun.

We were at Vormaine yesterday and it was pretty poor to be honest. Very icy and bare piste in places, especially near the top.

Going to Le Tour or Les Houches tomorrow so will report back on what we find at either of those.
ski holidays
Hi Everyone, heading our to Chamonix in a couple of weeks. This website seems to say you can buy day passes at €40 per day (6 days = €240), as opposed to €300, might be a faff to pick them up every day but is there any issue with doing this?

https://www.chamskideal.com/en/products/chamskideal-1-day?type=1&start_date=2023-03-11
latest report
@Sheddy, no issues, plenty of people have used the chamskideal system. Ideally you have a card then you can charge it with multiple days, first time you use it though you have to end up with multiple cards (which is crackers). It's flexible pricing, to generally the earlier you buy the cheaper it is, starting at €26.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Sheddy, PS, even if you do have to have 5no cards for 5no days the first time you use the site then you can at least collect them all in one go sfaik.
ski holidays
Update on Courmayeur (OK I know it's not Chamonix but we went through today)

Between 6 and 9 inches of fresh snow over crunchyness high up from the Youla/Arp.

The ski down to the Val Veny road = fresh tracks for much of the way.

Anyone going I would strongly recommend taking the skiers left gullies to get down to the road. Very nasty steep section down the right hand finish for 25 feet.

Skin track in place over towards Mont Fortin. I suspect a great (by current conditions) descent to be had.
snow report
kitenski wrote:
Looking at lift passes, this seems to be a cheap day pass, CHAMSKIDEAL - 1 Day (Brévent, Flégère, Grands Montets, Domaine de Balme)

I was in the area last week and stumbled across a way to get cheap tickets up until the night before here .

I definitely didn't qualify to use it, but was able to reload my Grand Massif card (numbered in the format A1234567-BC8-DEF, NOT a skidata one like Courmayeur use) and buy a new card for the missus so we could do the Aiguille as pedestrians without any issue.

You basically have two options:

* one day Chamonix Le Pass for €43.40 (Brévent - Flégère, Grands Montets, Balme: Le Tour - Vallorcine, but NOT Les Houches)

* one day Montblanc Unlimited pass for €60.80 (you can load multiple single days, but you still won't qualify for added extras that come with multi-day passes like use of Courmayeur etc)

To order and allocate to your lift pass, or but a new one, follow this link :

Choose OFFRES Partenaires CSE

In "Entrer le nom du programme" field, enter:
CSE - COS74 (space before and after the dash)

In "Mot de passe" field, enter:
COS74-23 (no spaces)

Hit CONNEXION and scroll down. You then have the two options of product (produit):

COS 74 CLP - one day Chamonix Le Pass

COS74 MBU - one day Montblanc Unlimited pass

Enter your card numbered in the format A1234567-BC8-DEF (so NOT a skidata one) or request a new card and off you go the next day to the lifts / nearest card collection point.

The link above is actually to the offer when it was originally introduced last summer, but they seem to have run it over to this winter too. That's why, upon first glance, it doesn't appear to be valid for the winter season, but it allows you to pick dates until start of May, so it definitely still is at the moment.

Obviously, strictly speaking none of you using this will presumably qualify to do so, and at some point I assume they'll realise this offer has been used by people not resident in France associated with the company concerned, so use at your own risk.

But like I said, it worked for me without incident.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 4-03-23 10:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Oh and just to clarify, my missus and I used the above to do Aiguille du Midi and grotte de glacier as pedestrians one day on the MBU one, and I used it again to board at Brévent - Flégère and Les Houches a couple of days later.

I didn't have reason to try using the Chamonix Le Pass option, but can't see why that wouldn't work as intended.

When I went to Courmayeur, I bought lift passes direct from ticket office (using a SKIDATA card which I'd also taken with me, just in case) on a daily basis on arrival, which was basically the same price as the MBU offer anyway.
ski holidays
Long time lurker, first time poster. Contemplating a last minute UCPA Argentiere trip for next week, 11th - 18th, looking at the Grand Montets course which is supposed to be off-piste with a bit of touring (e.g. skinning up to Col des Rachasses).

Based on the current forecast, I can't decide if it's going to be powder heaven, or if winds + avy risk + poor visibility will make for a frustrating week with very limited possibilities. What does the collective wisdom of the Snow Heads think?
snow conditions
@DonSheaf, welcome to SHs Happy

Errr, yes, it will be one or the other, or somewhere in between. Currently raining ... the forecasts have been all over the place. looks like snow level at or below 2,000m out till Monday, which will be good but forecast very murky all next week.
latest report
I might have missed this before, (for the last 8yrs or so!), as usually look on my iPhone, but the MBnaturalresort lifts page has a new? link to a decent snow report, which seems to be updated nightly on link below.

https://bulletin.lumiplan.pro/bulletin.php?station=chamonix&region=alpes&pays=france&lang=fr
snow conditions
Heavy snow last night in Argentiere - maybe 20cm of wet stuff on the car this morning. Almost didn't make it up the hill from Cham last night at 1.30am, even with winter tyres.

Spent today at Le Tour, where the only lift running was the shiny new Charamillon gondola. It was doing a good trade taking tourers up the hill.

Skinned from the gondola station at 1800m up to the top of Autannes chair (2200m), where the weather was pretty brutal. 1800m-2000m was the sweet spot in descent, above this the snow was quite wind-affected, and below it was cement, but in the sweet spot the skiing was reasonably enjoyable.

Lapped the 1800-2000m zone a few times, until the skins refused to stick any longer, which we took as our cue to head home.

Raining hard at 1400m...
latest report
Decided that skiing > no skiing, so currently at Manchester Airport and Argentiere-bound. Let's see how the next few days play out Smile.

Thanks for the update snowdave, I'm hoping once the wind dies down things will look better. Will probably try GM tomorrow if it's open.
snow conditions
@DonSheaf, I’ll probably be up GM tomorrow as well. Given the amount of rain and cool temp in Argentiere, it should be dumping up there. Enjoy!
snow conditions
How's the snow at Grand Montets? I was up at Flaine yesterday and it was raining up until about 2000m, and some of the wettest powder i've ever seen over that to the top. Lots of snow, but impossibly heavy. Wondering if it got any lighter up high at GM.
snow report
I have a day pass available if someone wants it. It's on an email QR code that i can forward, simply scan it at the gondola to get the day pass.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy