Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Years ago I went down the Arete as part of a fairly intermediate group (with a guide).
Roped up, no crampons.
The guide thought I was the most competent (?!) and asked me to go first.
"If the person in front falls and goes over to one side you must jump over the other side without hesitation!"

The next day I couldn't hold a spoon in my right hand...I had such muscle pain from having maintained an iron like death grip on the rope Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rungsp wrote:
Years ago I went down the Arete as part of a fairly intermediate group (with a guide).
Roped up, no crampons.
The guide thought I was the most competent (?!) and asked me to go first.
"If the person in front falls and goes over to one side you must jump over the other side without hesitation!"

The next day I couldn't hold a spoon in my right hand...I had such muscle pain from having maintained an iron like death grip on the rope Very Happy

I was like that on this rope snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@BobinCH, ah that makes sense. Some balls skiing that side of it Bob, it feels like death up there to the left, a great big yawning death

Interesting re conditions. I think with the freezing level so low was a great chance to ski more mellow stuff on lower resorts. I would have been delighted safely lapping hearse and Italian bowl in those conditions but you have that on tap in Verbier so of less interest.

@Chamwow, yeah I was surprised that day because the guide was super cautious about everything else, stopping and looking around observing conditions etc, but didn't bother with crampons. On the other hand its really very safe with a handrail and roped to other people so its probably more the tourist's illusion of more safety.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is anyone doing any run on Vallee Blanche between Sunday 29th - 3rd that I could potentially join in with?

My partner is pregnant and the group in travelling with aren’t experienced enough for it?

I can offer great banter and promise not to slow the group up !

15+ years of back country off piste skiing experience, including in India
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wrighty1994 wrote:
Is anyone doing any run on Vallee Blanche between Sunday 29th - 3rd that I could potentially join in with?

My partner is pregnant and the group in travelling with aren’t experienced enough for it?

I can offer great banter and promise not to slow the group up !

We won't arrive until the 4th, but if you're still there then, lets talk. We're a couple with 20 years of backcountry experience living in Banff. Currently on a month long European trip.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

We won't arrive until the 4th, but if you're still there then, lets talk. We're a couple with 20 years of backcountry experience living in Banff. Currently on a month long European trip.

Mon 23 Jan, 23
16:04

Oh no @TOLOCOMAN I'm leaving the day your arrive Sad

Im desperate to do the Vallee Blanche but can't pay £400 for a guide on my own
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wrighty: have you looked at Evo2?
https://evolution2.com/en/chamonix/vallee-blanche-en
You might get lucky with hitting minimum group numbers (4x) on Tuesday 31st?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wrighty1994 wrote:
Quote:

Mon 23 Jan, 23
16:04

Oh no @TOLOCOMAN I'm leaving the day your arrive Sad

Im desperate to do the Vallee Blanche but can't pay £400 for a guide on my own

Too bad. We're kind of in the same boat for ourselves. Hope it works out for you!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
8611 wrote:

@Chamwow, yeah I was surprised that day because the guide was super cautious about everything else, stopping and looking around observing conditions etc, but didn't bother with crampons. On the other hand its really very safe with a handrail and roped to other people so its probably more the tourist's illusion of more safety.

I think they do it that way because if someone has never worn crampons before they’re quite likely to trip, and so that’s not the best place to start learning to use them.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Possibly yeah. Plus I assume its a lot of faff putting crampons on boots for a fairly short hike.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wrighty1994 wrote:

It looks like clear weather on 29th. And it hasn’t snowed for a while so all the main routes will be like pistes. If that’s the case and you’re experienced in glacier travel I’d reckon you’d be ok to do it on your own. If you go early (lift opens 8:10 - be there by 7:45 for a ticket for the first non) there will be lots of groups going. Once you’re at the top ask the experienced looking groups if you can tag along with them in return for the first round of beers at the end. I doubt you’ll be waiting long. There are crevasses lurking on the classic route so good to have someone looking out for you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@BobinCH

It looks like clear weather on 29th. And it hasn’t snowed for a while so all the main routes will be like pistes. If that’s the case and you’re experienced in glacier travel I’d reckon you’d be ok to do it on your own. If you go early (lift opens 8:10 - be there by 7:45 for a ticket for the first non) there will be lots of groups going. Once you’re at the top ask the experienced looking groups if you can tag along with them in return for the first round of beers at the end. I doubt you’ll be waiting long. There are crevasses lurking on the classic route so good to have someone looking out for you.
[/quote]

I've booked onto a group on 31st (tuesday) with Evo 2. Courtesy of Mr. Chips Recommendations. 130euros, which seems pretty steep, but although I'm comfortable skiing almost anything, I wouldn't know where to start navigating a glacier, and I ideally wouldn't like to fall into a crevasses if I can help it!

I've realised I'm clogging the CHAM Snow report thread up with my desire to Ski Vallee Blanche so I shall Skullie Skullie (Shutup!) and we can all go back to someone actually reporting on how good the snow is again in Cham ATM!

P.S if anyone is doing Valle Blanche on the week, message me and I may try and change my day! I'm praying the group i've been put with have skiied some hard off-piste before!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Wrighty1994, mostly old soldiers in these threads, precious little skiing being done so no need to worry. I haven't been in Chamonix for prob 8 years but always pop back to the thread to see what's going on, this and the Arlberg thread usually good for escapism via others exploits
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheap passes here if you’re quick:
https://buyclub.ch/lausanne/deals/chamonix-ski-dec2022/?aff_id=100&mc_email=bobnmillsy@gmail.com&utm_source=BuyClub+Lausanne&utm_campaign=3dbf2d96ab-Chamonix+-+LSN+-+Jan+2023&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_27c68343e0-3dbf2d96ab-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How is the snow at the moment then folks? Just on piste skiing for me, usually at Les Houches or Le Tour.

I was in Chamonix the week before last and just booked flights for Wednesday to Saturday this week on a whim.

Bloody addictive isnt it? Laughing
snow conditions
@PortSki, cold and firm apparently
ski holidays
Better than hot and wet Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Today was spring skiing on anything south facing. Will likely be VERY crunchy after the temperature drops tonight.
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Cheap passes here if you’re quick:
https://buyclub.ch/lausanne/deals/chamonix-ski-dec2022/?aff_id=100&mc_email=bobnmillsy@gmail.com&utm_source=BuyClub+Lausanne&utm_campaign=3dbf2d96ab-Chamonix+-+LSN+-+Jan+2023&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_27c68343e0-3dbf2d96ab-%5BLIST_EMAIL_ID%5D

If you book here at least 3x days in advance then Chamonix lift pass is ~40 euros (compared to 60 at the desk).

https://www.chamskideal.com/en/products/chamskideal-1-day?type=1&start_date=2023-02-07
latest report
Yeah. The problem with that plan for this month though is you book your days, then they go on strike.... Almost feel like they shouldn't be selling that option when they don't know 3+ days out if a stike will impact them. Seems kind immoral to take your money when they don't know what they can provide.
snow report
@TOLOCOMAN, have the strikes actually affected any skiing yet though?
ski holidays
40 euro a day does seem a very good deal
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@TOLOCOMAN, have the strikes actually affected any skiing yet though?

Well I guess you could argue it got me extra skiing (and a bunch of walking) yesterday when they closed Montenvers... Eh oh!

On a positive note, Grand Montets was actually kind of chalky and pleasant skiing offpiste as long as it had seen enough traffic to break the wind crust.
ski holidays
How are the pistes holding up with the last few days of warmer weather? I ski'd Les Houches and Le Tour last week (thursday and friday) and it was great but Iv seen that its been very warm this week

Im back in Chamonix next Saturday 25th Feb and hope the forcast snow next week materialises. My little one likes to ski at Vormaine so hoping that is still open?
ski holidays
BobinCH wrote:
Brevent snowHead
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmWv5mMI7XA/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Great skiing! I have heard all about the lack of snow but that looks like amazing conditions and you are shredding it.
ski holidays
So hot
snow report
We had a very fine bbq up Flegere yesterday. Pistes reported ok but it did look very springlike!
ski holidays
Charles-Bozon closed to anyone without a guide:
https://www.chamonix.net/english/news/brevent-access-summit-closed-for-unaccompanied-skiers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’m out to see my daughter again Les gets on Friday for 5 days . Her day off Wednesday we are contemplating driving to chamonix , has any one got any feed back on conditions at Argentiere or La tour ? How’s the offpiste on the north faces?
Also thinking maybe valley Blanche again, is it now open ?
Thanks
ski holidays
@mrchips, We were up there about 4 weeks ago to access the Hotel Face and the first part from the cable car was horrible. Bumps the size of cars. Decided to give it a miss from then on.

Can't imagine what it is like now.
latest report
@bigtoe, I suggest that you read the Mountain Conditions page on the Chamoniarde website for the VB and make your decision.
snow conditions
@bigtoe, I was there at the weekend - North facing off piste at Argentiere is still nice. Packed but chalky, takes an edge well. Very small changes in aspect give quite a big change in conditions; a slight dip can be beautiful, but the rises either side might be refrozen. Once you learn where is best there's lots of great skiing.

Left side of the triangle was lovely, as were a few lines in the Lavancher bowl. Lots of people on the skin track to the top, but it was just a chilling trip for us so I didn't bother checking it out.

I'd recommend arriving early tho' - Paris vaccances week so the car park gets full early on. No big queues on the mountain, and the new Bochard gondolas have a higher practical capacity.

Wouldn't bother with Le Tour; snow not so good and crowded - new gondola brings people up too fast for the Autannes chair to handle.
snow conditions
Quote:

I'd recommend arriving early tho'

@snowdave, yep, long queue on autoroute (at least as far as Bossons, double deep) as we left at 08h45 for Annecy ... all car parks pretty full in town when we got back at 13h10 (e.g. 10 spaces in Grepon)
ski holidays
@under a new name, time to go the Zermatt option, with a big car park in Passy Happy

I'm dreading the rebuild of the GM, as it looks like the "new" car park will be much smaller.
ski holidays
@snowdave, but that would conflict with M. Fournier's obvious plan* to reduce car traffic by making it impossible to use your car.

Despite being a little smaller, the new Le Tour parking seemed to be working better - with attendants actually shepherding drivers into sensible parking. That said, it's a bit embarrassing when the Flégère overflow turns out to be the green of the 10th hole of the golf course.

I'm not entirely sure quite what the rationale is. Buses (well certainly not the ones currently used) are not an adequate substitute.

* I have heard a somewhat apocryphal tale that the Prefet was invited up in the summer to admire the new (and unusable**) cycle lanes and responded with a rather forceful, "and just where the f*ck are the tourists supposed to park?"

** per some very keen cyclists I know, they are dangerously laid out and mostly occupied by runners and babies in buggies. It is not, anyway, as if Chamonix gets snow in town, ever rolling eyes

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 21-02-23 15:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@under a new name, agreed re the cycle lanes - I tried them out and think they're a lot more dangerous than the old, reasonably wide, shared road. I'll take the back road through town rather than the cycle lanes, or just ride the main road...
snow conditions
Surely at some point they’ll look at the parking mess they‘ve created and decide the best way to manage demand is to start charging for parking …
snow report
@hold_my_biere, They already do in town. But I have heard tourists complaining that it's a bit rich to charge for parking, when that's how they got there ... not saying it's wrong but there the available options aren't great (back to the great big car park in Passy?)
ski holidays
Trying delivering stuff to Chamonix! Especially cham sud now the parking is all gone... there are 2 delivery bays that people now just use as parking. I saw one car there the other week at 2pm with ice still on the window!

I've now taken to just parking in the middle of the road/pavement or whatever and if it pisses people off, not my problem. My clients want their beer delivering and I want to be able to get as close to the bars as possible so I'm not having to carry/wheel 40kg kegs across sheet ice.

That's another thing, do chamonix not believe in ice/clearing pavements? Cham sud was like an ice rink
snow conditions
Big car park in Passy, toll the road beyond Servoz (sticker based, maybe E50/yr, so it doesn't impact the locals too badly) and invest the proceeds in 2-4x the capacity of trains and buses.

Oh, and enforce the wood burning stove "ban".

Then the valley would be a much nicer place for all concerned.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy