Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix Valley 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Wallski wrote:
Does anyone have info on today's avalanche of cornu chair towards liason

3 of my work mates (Megeve Ski Patrol) drafted in to help just as we were going to lunch. No one burried, but they were not sure at first. Dog team sweep + probe line big group of Pisteurs (Ski patrol). AFAIK came down from above onto piste Charlanon (off the col cournu chair).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
On BBC news a British woman has been killed in an avalanche in Chamonix on a glacier. It was on the Argentiere glacier. Looks like it was on Saturday, a group of three one a guide. They were doing the Col du Tour Noir.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jbob wrote:
On BBC news a British woman has been killed in an avalanche in Chamonix on a glacier. It was on the Argentiere glacier. Looks like it was on Saturday, a group of three one a guide. They were doing the Col du Tour Noir.

Sad news. That lower section looks pretty steep. Warm temps to blame?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’ve been up there a couple of times it’s a pretty mild pitch.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's very sad. It's not immediately obvious from the reports what happened. As @Chamwow says, the route itself is pretty mellow. It's one of the easiest and safest things in the basin.

It may not be a skier triggered incident. That's my immediate suspicion given the route and timing. It may just be extreme misfortune.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BobinCH wrote:
jbob wrote:

Sad news. That lower section looks pretty steep. Warm temps to blame?

Report is wrong. Accident was on col du Passon!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That's journalism! Col du Passon looks pretty steep on the south side.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
j b wrote:
That's journalism! Col du Passon looks pretty steep on the south side.

I’ve done that one. The couloir you climb up is certainly steep although sees a lot of traffic so surprised if that went?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Idris, ah. Well I guess that explains that.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Idris. I didn’t think the col du tour noir was particularly avalanche prone. On the col du passion the pitch to the col is steep and the slope below quite steep, I’ve also been in a tricky situation at the bottom of the decent above le tour.
https://chamonix-meteo.com/snow/avalanche/BRA_MONT-BLANC.pdf
Level 4/5 tomorrow!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.data-avalanche.org/avalanche/1673786392279

If I’ve read this correctly, the avalanche was quite low down 2500m and the time is 17.30 which is most strange, I can’t imagine if that is correct they were still ascending.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So with the appalling visibility and 15-20cms in the garden we headed up Le Tour. Nice new gondola, rubbish positioning top and bottom. Snowing heavily all day and we grabbed some nice mellow lines. Managed quite a bit untouched but as expected, quite a bit of chop.

Snow pretty awesome to be honest. Probably 60-70cms in places as a result of drifting, obviously in one of the places I managed to fall down in, shuffling backwards Embarassed and opposingly windscoured at the top. Generally well over knees in sheltered fresh lines.

Arguably the best morning of the season.

Bitter on way home though, wind had got up, felt very sorry for the line of folks who hadn't got on the Tête de Balme before it closed. Quite Scottish, weather wise.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fantastic day at Grands Montets, knee deep blower pow. Visibility was a challenge early, then it somewhat cleared mid-morning to about 1pm whence ot closed in again and a front flattened the place and closed the upper lifts, skied down at about 2pm.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Chamwow, well done you, I really can't stand poor vis and the Grands has few trees
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like an end of week visit to the Aiguille is in order!!!
latest report
Any locals got space for a couple of visitors on Thursday night? Reciprocals in Verbier on offer.
snow report
@BobinCH, sorry, we're couch surfing these days ourselves Shocked (renting/buying in Chamonix is a nightmare).
snow report
Was this really the last time I skied in Chamonix with the late (great) Rémy Lecluse!
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=62011
latest report
Hi folks. Any recommendations for a guide for the Vallee Blanche on Sat 28th Jan? We're a group of 5 (3 skiers / 2 boarders). Thanks
snow report
Any word on the Vallee Blanche being ‘open’ next week?
snow report
sbooker wrote:

We’re going tomorrow so certainly hope so! Why wouldn’t it be open?
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
sbooker wrote:

I was lead to believe it doesn’t open until “late January”. Something about the walk down the path.
Anyway. Great news. Thanks.
ski holidays
What an astonishing day it was up there today. Only had four hours, but an early start got me onto Cornu just as it opened (at about 10ish). Never snowboarded on powder like it (the chute under the lift and then off the back in the direction of Flegere). Still smiling about it now... and likely will be for weeks to come.
ski holidays
Good morning Chamonix!
latest report
Georgert wrote:
What an astonishing day it was up there today. Only had four hours, but an early start got me onto Cornu just as it opened (at about 10ish). Never snowboarded on powder like it (the chute under the lift and then off the back in the direction of Flegere). Still smiling about it now... and likely will be for weeks to come.

I also managed to sneak in an extra day at Brevent today, en route to Austria. absolutely fantastic, skiing on my own but just kept doing ‘one more’
Always nice to ski down Les Nants to finish, and only regret was that family spent two weeks here at Christmas and obviously didn’t get any days like today. Brilliant.
ski holidays
Quote:

BobinCH wrote:
sbooker wrote:

I was lead to believe it doesn’t open until “late January”. Something about the walk down the path.
Anyway. Great news. Thanks.

When are you looking to do it mate?
ski holidays
Next week. Perhaps Thursday or Friday.
snow report
@sbooker, there was a Facetwat post yesterday chatting about the arete being "constructed" so if it's not "open" today, it's imminent.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, thanks.
snow report
@sbooker, here https://www.facebook.com/ChamonixFans - and reading the original post, without the arête equipped headingout to the vallée is "reserved" to "experienced skiers" (which probably means carrying crampons and glacier rescue kit) and parties with a guide. So it's "open" ...
latest report
It’s open and in great condition. We skied the Cosmiques and Grand Envers yesterday

http://youtube.com/v/9txOJaLQ1PM

It’s a much longer hike out than it was 10 years ago due to the glacier melt Sad
latest report
Someone post a video of one of the nutjobs skiing the arete

There's actually one where Remy demonstrates jump turns on it, 2000m odd drop if it goes wrong
snow conditions
@8611, some old clients of mine had some fine pix from the early 90s of the bunch of them doing back flips off it onto the North face Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 22-01-23 8:45; edited 1 time in total
latest report
8611 wrote:
Someone post a video of one of the nutjobs skiing the arete

There's actually one where Remy demonstrates jump turns on it, 2000m odd drop if it goes wrong

It’s fine. We did it yesterday. We’ll take you next time Eh oh!
snow report
@under a new name, the new generation of extreme athletes are woke diluted, the real heroes are the dayglow lucozade VHS vintage. Helmets? Off piste skis? Pfft

@BobinCH, did you ski the actual arete? No thanks but big kahoonas if you did. I suppose the snow was probably super soft...
snow conditions
8611 wrote:
@under a new name, the new generation of extreme athletes are woke diluted, the real heroes are the dayglow lucozade VHS vintage. Helmets? Off piste skis? Pfft

@BobinCH, did you ski the actual arete? No thanks but big kahoonas if you did. I suppose the snow was probably super soft...

They walked. We skied. Give me 190cm of ski edge over a ski boot every time!

ski holidays
Fair point. When we did the vallee blanche the guide had us roped but without crampons, one of the group slipped in his ski boots and I think it took him weeks to get over it.

Second shot is a stunner - I'm confused though, do they ripe down that side of the arete too? I thought they just roped the bit down to the launching site for the voie normale on VB? Maybe I've misremembered the whole layout.

Good day either way?
snow report
They also cut out a zig-zag on the north face of the arete, it's less steep than going straight down the ridge and also alleviates a bit of traffic.

My regular guide trusts me to go down the ridge unroped but with crampons, but when I've gone up there with other guides I've gone with their requirements, usually roped which is fair enough. Guided groups will do the zig-zag roped but without crampons, but as I have them I always use them on the arete.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:

Second shot is a stunner - I'm confused though, do they ripe down that side of the arete too? I thought they just roped the bit down to the launching site for the voie normale on VB? Maybe I've misremembered the whole layout.

Good day either way?

That pic was taken from the bridge. This is from the other side. They have just put a rope on the arête so you can walk down holding it. We skied round the north side - was fine apart from one patch where the northerly wind has blown the snow off so it’s down to ice. Needed good edges for that bit! Second time I stayed closer to the arête to avoid it.

It’s an amazing place. I loved it. However the snow in the Cosmiques was affected by the northerly wind. The middle section was lovely but the ski down to the valley was long and tiring. The Grand envers on the other side has much more protection from the northerly and the snow was in much better condition up high. Skiing through towering séracs is a mind blowing experience. It was extremely cold and my buddy has frostbite on his big toe Sad
snow report
@BobinCH, great pics!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy