Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rescued from the roof of the world

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Myles Osborne for SummitClimb and his team were extremely surprised to find a half-naked man apparently sunbathing just below the second step on Everest. He had his suit unzipped to the waist, his arms out of the sleeves, was wearing no hat, no gloves, no sunglasses, had no oxygen mask, regulator, ice axe, oxygen, no sleeping bag, no mattress, no food nor water bottle.

In a Stanleyesque bit of understatement he told the startled climbers that "I imagine you're surprised to see me here". The man was Lincoln Hall. He had been left for dead by Sherpas the day before after they could get no response from him. The sherpas had climbed down with his backpack. Hall was delirious and very close to death, apparently believing himself on a sailing boat. He had already been passed by other teams keen to push on with their summit bids.

For Myles and his team there was no question of leaving the man to die while he snatched glory. They fed him snacks, and hot water and juice and gave him their oxygen to breathe and put his clothing back on. Hall was unable to stand or speak clearly, but over a couple of hours he began to warm up and talk. Sherpas from his team arrived with his rucksack brought up from C3 and they started rigging him for the long hard trip down. Later that day he reached the North Col and later ABC due to the herculean efforts of the Sherpas and other teams. With time slipping the rescuers gave up their hope of summiting "after years of fundraising, and months of training and climbing".

http://www.everestnews.com/Summitclimb2005/lincolnhalleverest06112006.htm
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
And in my veiw they did the right thing! If you can't feel proud of having saved somebodies life - think of it this way - lots of people have summited Everest - very few have successfully rescued someone from above 8000m.

I've got to admit the previous thread on the guy left to die on everest had annoyed me massively, but I had not felt able to comment as I have never climbed at altitude so had no real handle on what was possible. I have taken part in other dangerous sports though,including caving and cave diving including expeditions to find explore and map previously undiscovered caves. I can't imagine not dropping everything to help out on a rescue even if it meant abandoning our own objectives.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Theres a really interesting article I just read (yep me- reading!) in one of the sunday supplements, about how Everest is pretty much becoming a high end tourist attraction and its roped all the way up to the summit! I always assumed it was hardcore experienced enthusiasts only, but it would seem alot of money and you can buy your way up there!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Theres a really interesting article I just read (yep me- reading!) in one of the sunday supplements, about how Everest is pretty much becoming a high end tourist attraction and its roped all the way up to the summit! I always assumed it was hardcore experienced enthusiasts only, but it would seem alot of money and you can buy your way up there!

While you can buy your way up there you also need good fitness, an experienced guide who will make the right decisions not necessarily connected to his paymasters' wishes, a certain degree of selfishness/drive (which in part explains why walking past a dying man when physically exhauste dis not unusual) and above all probably a lot of luck with the weather and your body's response to altitude
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
davidof, my hat off to Mr Osborne.

Without casting any opinion, I read last year an account of an Everest summit, during which (and I apologise to the author should I get this terribly wrong, this is my interpretation) their group passed a woman clearly in distress, but carried on as they believed they couldn't assist (and presumably had a mountain to climb).

I do not want to suggest in any way whatsoever that theirs, as reported/interpreted might have been a morally wrong decision but I am delighted to discover that sometimes circumstances occur that do allow true altruism to shine. Well done Summitclimb. Moving article too...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I could not carry on knowing someone behind me was dying, especially if I was with a group who could help and take them down. I would hate to carry those memories around wondering what if I had helped.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
David Murdoch, making a decision not to aid someone is the very definition of morally wrong and compounded if that decision is made for the aggrandisement of self.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Russell, Masque, Nor could I. The circumstances may well have meant that there was literally nothing that could have been done...I'll re-read the article if I can find it...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There was a TV documentary about a group who left one of their members to die in order to summit. It was extremely distressing to think that people are so incredibly selfish. They made a good case for the lack of oxygen etc affecting the brain, but regardless, it's nice to read that not all Everesters (new word?) are like that. Thanks davidof, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
There was earlier discussion of this particular case on this thread, towards the bottom of page 2, and especially interesting comments from Powderhound
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cathy wrote:
There was earlier discussion of this particular case on this thread, towards the bottom of page 2, and especially interesting comments from Powderhound

Yes Powderhound's comments were very interesting. I guess every case is different but there are also similarities with David Sharp. As far as I can tell from reports Sharp was below the first step when he was found so was in a better position for rescue, if, he had recovered enough to walk. Inglis reports him as being close to death but other reports say he was coherent and responded to questionning. It sounds similar to Hall who was unresponsive when the Sherpa's abandonned him but had recovered later. Removing clothes seems to be very common with distressed climbers at altitude. Sharp had removed his gloves I believe. Hall seems to have had a more organised support team and was not climbing alone and maybe, along with the actions of his fellow climbers, ultimately saved his life.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I still think that if you haven't been in the situation, then you don't have the right to second guess those who have.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kramer, I think that people have the right to try to influence the moral climate, so that people in a similar situation in the future are more likely to take the "right" decisions, albeit that their moral compass might be wonky due to extreme physical conditions, etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer wrote:
I still think that if you haven't been in the situation, then you don't have the right to second guess those who have.

What the Hall and a few other rescues show is that under certain circumstances it is possible to revive and save people from the so called "Death Zone" although at the risk of sacrificing years of effort and training.

Anyway things evolve, if you got into trouble 50 years ago on Mont-Blanc during the winter months you were as good as dead, now leaving someone to die on Mt Blanc would not be acceptable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy