Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked for 5th March. This place has been on my radar for years, a bit more expensive, but hopefully worth it! Just back from a fairly average week in Andorra and need a good fix!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wam15, We were there last week and also enjoyed restaurant Novez- it is marked 5A on the map- it is above Crest. To get there you need to get a gondola up from Crest and ski down the red piste on your right. Nice food and even better dessert!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks all will add them to the list. Staying in champolouc but have 1 non skier so will come back to meet for lunch somewhere on some days!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frantze isn’t doing lunches, although if you get a chance to go up for a meal in the evening, it’s well worth it but you have to book. The Cre Forne was a disappointment this time round, lunch not as good as previously and quite a restricted selection. If you have to lunch down in town, Le Sapin is great (not sure how much skiing you’d get in afterwards..!) but always busy and you might need to book. Lo Bistrot not doing pizza in the evening, it has gone somewhat ‘upmarket’ and an evening meal in there is now quite pricey. Don’t know about lunchtimes though.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name wrote:
@Bella2015, there is a very simple solution to anyone’s disappointment …

How to organise a group (ski) holiday in one simple step:

1. Announce you are going on holiday, on these dates, to this location and that anyone who wishes to join you, may do so.

Job done.

Ha, my approach exactly for the last 10y. Folks from my “guys only week” pester me each Sept-Oct of where I am planning to go in January Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@_sam_?,
Quote:

not doing pizza in the evening, it has gone somewhat ‘upmarket’ and an evening meal in there is now quite pricey

And, IMO, not nearly as good as it was.

On the other hand, Andrea at the "Essential" is as good as ever. The Breithorn is (well it was in August) much better than its menu suggests. And the "Sans Souci" across the road does realy nice burgers and salads.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@wam15, your non skier can reach Novez by foot from Crest gondola- there is an easy walking pass. We met there with my friends nonskier parents who are in their 70s but was easy enough for them
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Bella2015, I was wondering where Novez was. Just looked it up. iirc it had been closed for years (or it had fallen out of favour with us) , good to see it re-open although I am astonished it's apparently bee open for 3 years Shocked - handy spot for vile days when you can't see a thing, can't be bothered going too far and need a hearty lunch. Menu has a few more interesting things on it too Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, it was recommended to us by a ski instructor and we ended up going there a few times during the week
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
_sam_? wrote:
Frantze isn’t doing lunches, although if you get a chance to go up for a meal in the evening, it’s well worth it but you have to book. The Cre Forne was a disappointment this time round, lunch not as good as previously and quite a restricted selection. If you have to lunch down in town, Le Sapin is great (not sure how much skiing you’d get in afterwards..!) but always busy and you might need to book. Lo Bistrot not doing pizza in the evening, it has gone somewhat ‘upmarket’ and an evening meal in there is now quite pricey. Don’t know about lunchtimes though.

We had an excellent dinner at Lo Bistrot in February which I though was very good value for the quality. Not expensive at all in my view. The evening service is downstairs, quite a nice ambiance. We will return for sure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@zikomo, they've changed it for this year... Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@_sam_?,
Quote:

not doing pizza in the evening, it has gone somewhat ‘upmarket’ and an evening meal in there is now quite pricey

And, IMO, not nearly as good as it was.

On the other hand, Andrea at the "Essential" is as good as ever. The Breithorn is (well it was in August) much better than its menu suggests. And the "Sans Souci" across the road does realy nice burgers and salads.

Never tried the Essential, we will give it a go on the next trip
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@_sam_?, it's a little more "adult" - as in the menu is a lot more creative than your usual mountain fare, can be quite fishy (the prawn carpaccio is lovely if it's on) but really rather excellent and civilised.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
@zikomo, they've changed it for this year... Sad

When do you think they changed it? In Feb they were not doing pizzas in the upstairs after about 6. We went downstairs for dinner where it was a bit more formal, but still good value.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@zikomo, I’m guessing for the summer season. We certainly had pizzas on the dinner table downstairs in mid March last year. Defo no pizzas when we popped over in August.
latest report
So 1st days skiing today, stated cloudy but cleared quickly. Stayed quite warm until about 2:30 when the wind picked up. Some dark clouds coming in when we finished but no snow is forecast.

Snow on piste is good, few hard packed bits but gernally pretty good. Didn't go off piste so can't comment on that.

Edit: meant to say was very quiet today no lift queues at all and often empty pistes.
ski holidays
Today's update. Much busier than yesterday but only 1 notable queue which was for the 4 man chair up from Frachey.

Snow was very good on the blues above Alagna and on the reds back towards gressonay. Otherwise thin cloud and a gentle breeze today.
latest report
@wam15, thanks! Hope your are having fun. Please keep up updating us on your fun. Where did you go for lunch and how was it?
snow conditions
Stopped at Bedemie at the bottom of the 2 man chair on the way to Gressoney. Lunch was simple but good. 8 euro for a nice bowl of pasta. The cake for pudding was very good.

Having a very good weekend thank you!

Also forgot to say above did black V1 to Alagna today and the snow at the bottom wasn't great! White ribbon through green fields.
ski holidays
Had a very good day today. There had been the smallest of dusting of new snow and the pistes above Frachey were in great condition. Given the wind at the top we decided to not go much further. This morning was thin patchy cloud. After lunch cloud thickend up and about 2/230 it started very lightly snowing. We went over towards Champoluc which was a mistake as that put us in the cloud.

Lunch was great at Lo Retsignon at the top of the Frachey funicular. Had a very good venison and chips. Others had the homemade tagliatelle which was very good.

Edit meant to say tried a few bits off the side of the piste and the snow was quite crusty. Been enough wind though I'm sure there are some good wind blown pockets a guide could find.
ski holidays
@wam15, sounds like you are having a great time!

We also ate at Lo Retsignon a couple of times and also thought it was good. The only problem I recall was there was only one non-meat option I think. Not sure if you noticed if this has changed?
snow report
We are. Last morning today and on way home. Weather was better fist thing but by 11 the was snowing lightly above champoluc. At the top it was quite snowy so if that keeps up will be good for the area!

Didn't really look at the non meat options myself but seemed to be a few. The non meat eater in our group had the mozeralla and tomato salad which looked lovely!
snow report
Anyone know much about DIY transfers from Turin to Champoluc?

I had one quote which was 390euro return for me and son ... I laughed, no thanks.

Looks like I can hire a car for £40 for the week which seems like the smarter option. Anyone know if you can park for free in town? we're staying up the hill in Crest.
ski holidays
I didn't find parking a problem when I went last year. Big car parks near the lifts. Most hotels have parking too.

Even when I picked up some skis I parked right out the shop.
snow report
@Adamski, The mian car park is just beyond town (about a 5 minute walk to the lift).

But beware Turin diesel, it's probably not treated for winter temps overnight ... buy additive and put it in as you leave Turin so it mixes and makes its way through the fuel lines.
latest report
Hello
Heading to Gressoney on Tuesday for a few days. Can anyone tell me what the offpiste conditions are like at the moment? From the snow reports and webcams it seems to be artificial snow on piste and lots of rocks off-piste. Don't fancy carting all the extra hardware over for no reason.
thanks
snow conditions
@Lachlan, Hope you have a good time, please report back on conditions (and any restaurant or other tips). We are flying on Friday, staying in Champoluc. I am also disappointed at the lack of snow!
snow report
@Lachlan, welcome to snowHead

From where I'm sitting (next door to Lo Bistrot) doesn't look like much off piste! Mrs U will report tomorrow ...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Hello
Heading to Gressoney on Tuesday for a few days. Can anyone tell me what the offpiste conditions are like at the moment? From the snow reports and webcams it seems to be artificial snow on piste and lots of rocks off-piste. Don't fancy carting all the extra hardware over for no reason.
thanks

Just back from Gressoney today.
On-piste is a mixture of real & artificial, and while generally OK still is starting to struggle without some new snow to freshen/top it up, with a fair amount of hard packed areas appearing during each day - it's been quite windy with the links and upper lifts shut for nearly half of the week, which has been blowing loose snow off the pistes, and a couple of areas suffering from stones being blown on to the pistes during the day (eg either side of the top of lift 17, the bettaforca chair).

Can't comment much about off-piste as we didn't do that, but it does look quite bare and we didnt see many people there, and the hire shop at staffal were very explicit that we should not take their skis off piste due to the poor coverage. The Indren lift was generally open whenever the links were open.
latest report
That sounds just what I suspected. Forecast suggests a few cm of new snow in a couple of days so hopefully that'll help the pistes. Webcams certainly suggested that to go off-piste you'd have to have no concern for your bases!

Think we'll leave the shovels etc at home and pack more layers for the cold weather that's also predicted!
snow conditions
@Lachlan, "a few cm of new snow in a couple of days so hopefully that'll help the pistes"

It won't. Not enough. Not nearly enough.
snow report
It’s been very cold for periods but it’s clear they are not running the snow cannons to top up the pistes. I will see what I see when I am there next week but there is really no excuse for the pistes not to be in good nick.
ski holidays
@zikomo, per Mrs U the pistes are fine, but that's only due to having run cannons.

Quote:

there is really no excuse for the pistes not to be in good nick

There are many excuses! Out of energy budget? Not enough water?* Not cold enough? It's often just bloomin' marvellous that they are in as good nick as they are! Also, you should have started skiing when Mrs U did, no snow cannnons precious little grooming. You never had it so good!

* It was a dry summer across Europe and if the reservoirs didn't fill up, sooner or later you'll run out. I understand, as an example, iirc that Brevent-Flegere have only a few days reserves of operation, at any one time.
snow conditions
i should emphasize that we still had a really good time with getting on for 200km skiing over the week (not a lot for some, but it broke our previous record), the hard pack we came across was a minor irritant, and even the links/upper lifts being closed wasnt a real issue, except on the saturday when the jolanda & seehorn lifts both had 30 min queues due to the weekend visitors
snow report
@paul.71, Glad you had a good holiday, and thanks for the update.

@under a new name, I get where you are coming from. And as a Scottish skier I know exactly what Mrs U will have experienced in her youth! That said, lift passes are now quite expensive.....

And I am just frustrated as seem to have had a run of pretty poor conditions (mostly too warm) in the half-term week. And while I will manage a few short trips, the Easter family trips have been binned due to kids having exams. That all started last year and we will now have at least one kid with exams for the next 5/6 years. So the February week has become even more precious!
snow report
@zikomo, I learned in Scotland in the 70s-80s, Mrs U learned in Champoluc, a few years later.

By "learned", of course I mean, started to learn. I reckon it took me my first season before I was even half decent, whereas she just hung out for a couple of seasons with the Spanish national team.

Sadly the season before last was pretty splendid ... but closed, obvs.
latest report
@under a new name, Murphey's law strikes again! Same happened here!
ski holidays
It is the eve before. We fly to Milan tomorrow morning then drove to Champoluc. Weather looks warm as per usual every half term for us! Thanks for all the inputs and advice. I will try and post regular updates. And anyone else around feel free to give me a shout.
snow report
wam15 wrote:
Thanks all will add them to the list. Staying in champolouc but have 1 non skier so will come back to meet for lunch somewhere on some days!

How did your non-skier friend get on in Champoluc?

Got friend heading there for half-term and was thinking of joining them with my non-skiing partner, but I fear her options seem very limited.

In hindsight, she should have come to Interlaken with me because the Jungfrau area is very foot-friendly.
snow report
Keep the updates coming. I'll be there in 3 weeks, sounds like it could do with a good top up, but not much on the horizon in next 7 days. Seems to have had a pretty dry season!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy