Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour Operators

Poster: A snowHead
That's a fair point @pam w but I guess I sort of trust in the TO that they're in control of the situation and their sole aim is to get the transfer to where it's supposed to be going. Maybe that's too much trust to place in them though!

Maybe I should have placed more emphasis on my fear of the unknown / unfamiliar.

I'm very familiar with flying in / out of Geneva and was relieved that my French (and German) meant that the complete closure of the train line out of Geneva didn't result in me ending up stick in the middle of nowhere last season.

I'm also pretty familiar with the transfer companies there, so was hoping @ukoldschool might have had experience of going to destinations I was not familiar with.

I don't like not being able to communicate in the local language, so I guess having no knowledge of the transfer companies in Italy is my biggest concern and why I'd probably lean towards a TO for there.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 4-12-22 16:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I got a really good solo deal last Jan with Crystal to Sauze, Hotel Gran Baita, the snow conditions weren’t great but the hotel was really good, super helpful with good food, I’d have no issues going back with with good conditions.

First trip to Sauze we stayed in the Gran Baita. Smashing little hotel I'd recommend it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I don't like not being able to communicate in the local language, so I guess having no knowledge of the transfer companies in Italy is my biggest concern

Yes, I understand that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
geoffknight wrote:
I got a really good solo deal last Jan with Crystal to Sauze, Hotel Gran Baita, the snow conditions weren’t great but the hotel was really good, super helpful with good food, I’d have no issues going back with with good conditions.
I’ve got a deal to LaThuile in Jan with Crystal

How good a deal are we talking, Geoff? And how late did you book it?

I usually do 1 or 2 solo DIY trips in January, but was considering waiting to see if any decent last minute TO offers came up to take me somewhere new this year.

I assume this year's deal was reasonable enough to book it earlier than last year's?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jebroni3_16, When I was looking for a TO holiday earlier this year (aug/sept), I noticed a distinct lack of holidays compared with previous years. This persuaded me to get on with my booking.....!
One thing I did notice was that prices could change on a daily basis (with Crystal) - sometime by as much as a £100 !! (Dynamic Pricing ??)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@jebroni3_16, Google translate is your friend. I had to have a conversation in Spanish...in London...about an important delivery of silver for a Banquet. We just typed it in. I do the same in Austria with my german speaking hausmeister. (Talking into the app doesn't work well for me...it can't understand my accent!)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@jebroni3_16, Jan 22 £565 HB to Sauze booked 2 weeks before, Jan 23 £560 BB to LaThuile, booked in October which included £150 reduction for early booking, I booked because there didn’t seem to be as many options, of course it may/will change nearer the time, who knows, ultimately I was happy with the price, Dynamic pricing is a big factor, the week after I travel the same holiday was £200 more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
halfhand wrote:
Quote:

First trip to Sauze we stayed in the Gran Baita. Smashing little hotel I'd recommend it.

It’s now run by the owners niece Bianca and her partner, really lovely couple, I forgot my phone charger cable, I asked if they had a spare, “sorry we don’t, but I will buy one for you when I go shopping in the valley tomorrow” said Bianca, she wouldn’t accept any payment, saying she would keep it for other guests, buying them a couple of drinks was the least I could do.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We went with Crystal last year to Austria. They just did not have enough staff and all of the elements organised by Crystal were dreadful to the extent I will not travel with any TUI Group company again.

Going diy this year so fingers crossed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
geoffknight wrote:

As you know, I'm always looking for recommended hotels - but when I check this hotel with Crystal, it doesn't take singles. Were you on your own for that holiday with Crystal?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Old Fartbag, Yes I was solo, I think they had two single rooms, and I have seen it come on up some searches I have done this year for single use. I do know that last year they were exclusively booked out by Crystal, this season they were only going to be selling part of there availability to Crystal.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffknight wrote:
@Old Fartbag, Yes I was solo, I think they had two single rooms, and I have seen it come on up some searches I have done this year for single use. I do know that last year they were exclusively booked out by Crystal, this season they were only going to be selling part of there availability to Crystal.

Thanks.

I suspect Single rooms get booked out early.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
geoffknight wrote:

Thanks.

You could do worse than ask them if they will do a twin (or better still) double for sole occupancy. If yes, and you so choose, would they allow Crystal to take over the booking.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nemisis wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
geoffknight wrote:

Thanks.

You could do worse than ask them if they will do a twin (or better still) double for sole occupancy. If yes, and you so choose, would they allow Crystal to take over the booking.

At the moment - I'm only logging ideas for future use, especially if on my own......but that sounds like a good idea.

Crystal Ireland is really knowledgeable and helpful - but their office is much smaller, with only a handful of staff that have been there for years and know their stuff.

I usually go with my Daughter, who is a Vegan - which always seems to add a whole extra layer of complication. I suspect a family run hotel, especially one that goes the extra mile, is more likely to accommodate her.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
holidayloverxx wrote:
@jebroni3_16, Google translate is your friend. I had to have a conversation in Spanish...in London...about an important delivery of silver for a Banquet. We just typed it in. I do the same in Austria with my german speaking hausmeister. (Talking into the app doesn't work well for me...it can't understand my accent!)

Not when your phone is a Nokia with buttons and zero internet capability Laughing

I have a smartphone, which I basically use like a tablet, when at home / have WiFi access, but I prefer not to be always online and that's the only way I have of limiting myself!
latest report
albob wrote:
@jebroni3_16, When I was looking for a TO holiday earlier this year (aug/sept), I noticed a distinct lack of holidays compared with previous years. This persuaded me to get on with my booking.....!
One thing I did notice was that prices could change on a daily basis (with Crystal) - sometime by as much as a £100 !! (Dynamic Pricing ??)

My boarding friend has just accepted she won't be going to Cuba this Christmas (with nobody flying direct from UK at the moment and no reasonably priced indirect flights), so have just started looking at options for the first (short) week of January.

Nelson look like they have very little, but Crystal have a fair bit still to choose from, including a couple of interesting options in Bosnia!

I suspect we'll hold off another week or so, although I realise that might limit our options when it comes to taking our own boards though.
snow conditions
geoffknight wrote:
@jebroni3_16, Jan 22 £565 HB to Sauze booked 2 weeks before, Jan 23 £560 BB to LaThuile, booked in October which included £150 reduction for early booking, I booked because there didn’t seem to be as many options, of course it may/will change nearer the time, who knows, ultimately I was happy with the price, Dynamic pricing is a big factor, the week after I travel the same holiday was £200 more.

Appreciate the detailed response.

Both those deals sound decent for single occupancy and as you say, you're happy with them and that's ultimately all that really matters.
latest report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

Not when your phone is a Nokia with buttons and zero internet capability Laughing

I have a smartphone, which I basically use like a tablet, when at home / have WiFi access, but I prefer not to be always online and that's the only way I have of limiting myself!

It's very sad that you are restricting where you go and what you do because of it
snow report
The tech doesn't necessarily help when you're face to face, and just wanting to get around in an ordinary sort of way. The first time I went to Italy I spent some time with the excellent BBC "Get by in Italian" and it was brilliant when we ended up flying to Milan instead of direct to Venice and I had to buy train tickets and sort things out. My tourist Italian was really useful, not just for the bare essentials but for connecting with people and enjoying it all.
ski holidays
@pam w, it helps enormously. I find. I get by in French but for any other language the tech is invaluable in any circumstance. I certainly wouldn't only go to France because I don't speak German/Italian/Spanish when the tech is available
snow conditions
holidayloverxx wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

It's very sad that you are restricting where you go and what you do because of it

No need to worry about me, @holidayloverxxx. I'm far from restricting where I go because of being limited to being trilingual. A previous snowboard holiday in Japan is testament to that as was backpacking around Cuba, haggling over taxis collectivos
and organising casas particulares despite only having very VERY basic Spanish.

As far as restricting my internet access is concerned, well, that's just what works best for me as a whole. I'm glad the opposite seems to work equally well for you Very Happy
ski holidays
jebroni3_16 wrote:

No need to worry about me, @holidayloverxxx. I'm far from restricting where I go because of being limited to being trilingual. A previous snowboard holiday in Japan is testament to that as was backpacking around Cuba, haggling over taxis collectivos

I have some friends who went on a plane spotting trip to Japan. At one airport location they went to their hotel for the night to check-in. The people on the desk didn't speak English, and after half an hour of sign language they were no nearer getting a room for the night. Then a local who did speak reasonable English turned up, and after listening politely for a while to what was going on explained to my friends that they were in Launderette, and the hotel they were looking for was a few doors further down the road.

Not speaking the lingo is part of the adventure. The only Japanese word I learnt was "Monta" which means "fill it up" at a petrol station. Best not to use the drive through lanes at fast food places either - you'll starve to death before you get any food.
snow report
I must confess that I'm nervous of travelling somewhere where none of my languages is likely to be of any use.
latest report
jebroni3_16 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:
jebroni3_16 wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

As far as restricting my internet access is concerned, well, that's just what works best for me as a whole. I'm glad the opposite seems to work equally well for you Very Happy

I'm not worried about you in the slightest. You're a grown up. But it's undeniable that you said you were uncomfortable about transfers because you don't understand the language so you are restricting yourself to going only where a TO will take you in Italy . "I don't like not being able to communicate in the local language, so I guess having no knowledge of the transfer companies in Italy is my biggest concern and why I'd probably lean towards a TO for there"
snow conditions
Yes, "I'd probably lean towards a TO for there". Not definitely. Not that I wouldn't go at all.

Let's just leave it there, shall we, and allow the thread to return to its intended subject?
snow conditions
@jebroni3_16, as you wish
snow report
As a bit of an update - as Miss B's had notification that rent for her student house will be going up £3k next year (not surprising) - we've realised that we can't really afford a trip for the 2 of us.

Hey ho - the things you do for your kids Laughing
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
As a bit of an update - as Miss B's had notification that rent for her student house will be going up £3k next year (not surprising) - we've realised that we can't really afford a trip for the 2 of us.

Keep watching TO last minute deals.... that way if you see an insanely good one you can junp on it but if not you stick with the can't really afford it.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Boris, Bummer Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Is Miss B taking all the student loans etc available to her, @Boris? And doing some part-time work during term time (if allowed) and in vacations? We did help our kids at uni, obviously, but we also expected them to shoulder as much of the burden as they could. Seems a shame for you to miss out on your trip - but a last minute bargain sounds a good idea.
ski holidays
@pam w, Tuition Fee is paid direct to Uni for the course and Maintenance Loan doesn't cover accommodation now, so already topping it up (as we had to for boys). Yes she works during the holidays (for Mrs B at the surgery - all above board) and does somethings for her during the term time.

This largely funds her sporting activities
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Miss B's had notification that rent for her student house will be going up £3k next year (not surprising)

Apologies for encouraging another thread drift, but...

What area is that in @Boris and split between how many people?

Something seriously needs to change in this country, because that's ridiculous. Especially when the landlord is unlikely to be incurring anything like that in additional costs unless they bought in the last two years and are coming to the end of a low fixed rate BTL mortgage.
ski holidays
I suspect student accommodation is not a Get Rich Quick option for landlords. A lot of student funding is very high standard these days - students tend to expect single rooms, for example, and not sharing a bathroom between 6. It was many years ago that my eldest son was in Uni (Manchester) and I remember being less than terribly sorry for him when he told me he and his mates had had to settle for a place without a dishwasher. And students aren't great tenants. My sister ran a couple of student houses when her son was in Plymouth. One house of girls, for whom she bought a good new vacuum cleaner, complained that it had broken down. She went along and found it was crammed full - they'd never emptied it and were astonished when she showed them the ropes. They must have just thought that all the crap they sucked up (it included things like dried up tea bags and bacon rinds.....just kind of melted away. And they routinely left heaps of crap when they vacated - always including great pots of money. They just couldn't be bothered with small change. So poor..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
@jebroni3_16, it’s in York, the rent includes utilities and obviously they have gone up. I suspect there’s an element of mortgage payments as well

Normally house rents are 11-months but they’ve been offered 12-months so they can leave all their stuff there. To be honest worth it for that.

@pam w, Yes student houses are a world away from the ones you had - and rightly so. They’re habitable and have safety standards for a start!

There’s 4 of them sharing - one bathroom
snow report
@Boris, ouch! That’s a huge increase, we will be encouraging our son to stay in his Unity accommodation, we’re expecting an increase but nowhere near that. He’s in a great location just behind Piccadilly Stn in Manchester. I can see calls for an increase in the maintenance part of student loans to be increased once everyone sees their increases.

Back on topic, you might be able to get a decent deal if you wait until last minute.
ski holidays
Curiously our daughter's rent decreased this year, the landlord was pleased the crowd were happy to stay in the same place without him having to find replacements. I assume he had a long fix on the energy costs, which were inclusive.

However she is now beginning to look for next year, and may have to pay more.

For most of us tuition fees are paid by the Student Loan Company so don't compete with the holiday fund, though we do pay a large chunk of maintenance.
snow report
Interesting info about Bosnia further up. Are the TOs finally becoming a bit more adventurous again?
snow report
Just booked with Heidi.com for Kitzbuhel in Jan. Flying from Belfast, seem to have a far bigger choice of destinations than any of the other TO’s operating from NI this year. Price wasn’t too bad & booking process very straight forward.
Anyone else any experience with them?
snow conditions
Boris wrote:

Sounds a big jump - £250 is £1000 a month extra if 4 are sharing.

I am sure landlord running costs have not increased by that much per month!
ski holidays
https://www.hl.co.uk/news/2022/12/14/tui-eyes-capital-raise-after-swinging-back-to-profit

I think the capital raise is well overdue, but the timing may be better....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy