Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice choosing a resort in Feb Please!!

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to book a weeks skiing holiday in February somewhere in Europe but to be honest I'm going round in circles trying to figure out the best place to go. rolling eyes In an ideal world would love a ski in ski out scenario with reliable snow and relatively short transfers. I will be travelling with my 17 year old daughter who has skied once before and I have a skied a few times but its over 20 years ago since my last trip. I trying to keep the cost down so am thinking maybe Italy or Andorra might be good budget options and probably a hotel on a half board basis. Any advice even to narrow down to a couple of resorts would be greatly appreciated!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
To help narrow it down to countries:

How are you going to get out to Europe? If flying, what is your local airport and what current flight options do you have that meet your budget and timescales?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andorra may be cheap, but it certainly isn't a short transfer. Probably at least 3 hours by car from either Toulouse or Barcelona airports, and more like 4h if it's a tour operator coach transfer.

Also when in Febuary? If it's half term weeks, then best to check which French zones will also be on holiday that week - the big French resorts can be very busy (and expensive) those weeks, and that might skew the suggestions more towards Austria or Italy.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@wildestflower, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

Well Italy in February (particularly the Sella Ronda area) would be a great place to go. The Italians are masters at maintaining the pistes even if there should be a (unlikely) shortage of snow as they have invested heavily in snow making. The Alta Badia part of the Sella Ronda (Resorts of Corvara, Colfosco or San Cassiano) is a blue piste heaven. The mountain restaurants offer great local food (and of course coffees and hot chocolate) at very reasonable prices.

For the Sella Ronda particularly the Alta Badia resorts then Venice is the best airport to fly into (you could even add on a visit there at the start or end of your ski trip if you've never been before). The main airport is Venice Marco Polo, but there is another airport Venice Treviso (which Ryanair use) that is actually about half an hour closer to the Sella Ronda.

A bit of a left field suggestion - a bit before you reach the Sella Ronda coming from Venice you reach the lakeside town of Alleghe. For the last few years snowHeads have had a week there on the PreBirthdayBash WarmUpWeek(PreBBWUW) It has its own ski area called Civetta, and we stay at the excellent Sport Hotel Europa. It's not ski in/ski out, but the hotel runs a continuous shuttle service in the morning from the hotel to the gondola lift, and in the afternoon a continuous service back to the hotel.

The PreBBWUW is being held 28th Jan to 4th Feb and is almost full (although it looks like there's still just two places for girls in a shared quad room. (it's actually divided into 2 rooms though)). It is cracking value for money though as admin's deal has the local ski area pass included. The food in the hotel is also excellent. If the dates are too early for you or the thought of being on a bash with other snowHeads doesn't appeal (we are a very friendly and supportive bunch snowHead ) then you might care to look at staying at the same hotel in Alleghe later on in February.

Just a few suggestions, hope you find them helpful and you're able to arrange something for you and your daughter!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When in Feb? costs rocket during half term!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank so much for the replies. To add a bit more information we will be flying from Ireland. I'm tempted for convenience sake to use a tour operator like Crystal or something but just need to narrow down a resort. Thanks for the suggestion of joining the week but looking for something for just the two of us I'm afraid and I'm definitely too old for room sharing! I will check out the Sella Ronda area
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also we are flexible re dates so can avoid the mid term breaks. Just thought February would be a good time for snow etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wildestflower wrote:
I am trying to book a weeks skiing holiday in February somewhere in Europe but to be honest I'm going round in circles trying to figure out the best place to go. rolling eyes In an ideal world would love a ski in ski out scenario with reliable snow and relatively short transfers. I will be travelling with my 17 year old daughter who has skied once before and I have a skied a few times but its over 20 years ago since my last trip. I trying to keep the cost down so am thinking maybe Italy or Andorra might be good budget options and probably a hotel on a half board basis. Any advice even to narrow down to a couple of resorts would be greatly appreciated!

This is what I can tell you on Andorra.

Transfers: Yes, they are 4h from the airport to your hotel, but if you use AndBus, in 98% of the cases they'll drop you in front of your hotel. (and pick you up again). The AndBus serves both Barcelona & Y\Toulouse airport, but there are more transfers from Barcelona.

There are a number of options if you want to be "close" to the slopes: Arinsal, Pas de la Casa, Soldeu, Canillo, El Tarter & Encamp.

Encamp can be good value for money as you can take the free Funibus to the Funicamp gondola. It has a couple of restaurants and if supermarkets, so you could look fort self-caterign apartments. It you want lessons, or easy terrain. then maybe that is not the best option as the start from the top of the gondola can be inteimidating. THey are some blue runs there, but you really have to work your way down the initial runs to get to more relaxing runs.

Arinsal is always a good bet IMHO. OK I'm a bit biased, because I live there, but there is enough easy runs to get you started and once you get some confidence back, you can use the teleferique at the top to transfer over to Pal. Lots of accommodation there and easy ski rental. If you are going to use Crystal, they usually seem to have a good relationship with Arinsal.

El Tarter & Soldeu both have good gondolas and there are blue runs to get you back at then end of the day. (Or use the gondola to come back). Just make sure you find something that is in walking distance of the gondolas.

Pas de la Casa is on the slopes, has a lot of accommodation, but gets overcrowded and can get very hedonistic at night. I hardly ski over the hill to Pas unless it is quiet or I have to meet friends coming up from France.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@wildestflower, I think if you look at the best priced Crystal offerings they most likely all have suitable pistes for both you (old skills to re-acquire) and your daughter (only second time). But worth double checking here any possibilities you find.

The main thing is to avoid paying over the odds for a vast ski area you are only going to use a small part of. Either because you aren't going to ski that far from base, or because it involves pistes you aren't yet ready for (Chamonix would not be great for this reason). In February any place that a tour operator goes to will have snow, and you need to look at their small print for transfer time. Ski-in ski-out always sounds attractive but may not be the ideal situation when you are there as long as there is easy access to ski-lift, lessons and other facilities. From my experience half-board is a mixed blessing, it avoid further food costs but can seem very claustrophobic with rather similar daily buffets - although of course you might meet others in the same situation; self-catering also works well since you can alternate a cheap meal at home (pasta and sauce for example) with the fun of exploring a pizza place or whatever.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alastair Pink knows his onions here. Italy would be the place to go, particularly the Dolomites. High number of blue sky days, food on the slopes is tremendous, lift system is excellent, wine and beer not too dear, scenery off the scale. Selva Val Gardena has become my favourite, it takes serious work to convince me to ski elsewhere these days. I fly to Innsbruck, Venice, Verona and then make my way on public transport.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wildestflower wrote:
Also we are flexible re dates so can avoid the mid term breaks. Just thought February would be a good time for snow etc

In that case, unless you go first week in Feb, then don't bother, go in January instead, it's cheaper and quieter.

Lots of suggestion for the Dolomites and the Sella Ronda, can't say anything bad about it personally.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a cheap option, look at La Thuile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

unless you go first week in Feb, then don't bother, go in January instead, it's cheaper and quieter.

this certainly applies to French resorts.

For the cheapest option, you'll need to self-cater, not have half board in a hotel. You will also pay through the nose for "single supplement" if you won't share a room. I won't, either, and when I was looking to join friends last year my single supplement almost doubled the cost of a holiday including a flight. But with a small apartment, with one bedroom and a sofa bed in the lounge, you could have your own rooms and you can still choose local restaurant if you don't want to self-cater every evening. If you go on or before the first week in February you will easily find such accommodation in a ski in/out position in one of the French resorts. If you look on one of the websites like Sunweb you will find offers which include lift passes in lower cost resorts like Val Cenis.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@wildestflower, when thinking of prices remember to consider the cost when eating out. French resorts are pricey. Italy is cheap.

Like what others have said….. I’d go to Italy.

I appreciate you would like separate rooms but if you decide to ski at the same time as snowheads then you can even stay in your own accommodation and perhaps meet up with some of us on one or two days. Then you can have someone to show you around.

Corvara/colfosco is a good base with easy slopes to get back into it.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We’re going back to St Johann in Austria in February. With crystal. It’s fairly small but big enough for a week, relatively inexpensive on the mountain (you can get away with lunch and a drink for under €10, although not sure about this year!) and it’s only just over an hour transfer. Plus the flight to Salzburg from Manchester isn’t too long. It’s got a nice vibe.
latest report
I am also returning to St Johann in Tirol and taking some beginners.

It’s a lovely little area, big enough for the beginners, but I’ll be touring nearby resorts. Kitzbuhel is only 10mins on train and the station is right next to Hahnenkamm lift. It’s also very easy to visit the Ski Welt and Fiberbrunn for the Ski Circus.

The town is a real year round place, lots cheaper than glitzy Kitzbuhel, with plenty going on.

Corvana is ear marked for our trip in 2024.
snow conditions
@wildestflower, Crystal Ireland have said that using code BLKFRI100 will get €100 off per booking.....but offer ends tonight.
latest report
Missed that deal with Crystal as struggling to get something for the dates in places that were recommended Eh oh!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

unless you go first week in Feb, then don't bother, go in January instead, it's cheaper and quieter.

this certainly applies to French resorts.

For the cheapest option, you'll need to self-cater, not have half board in a hotel. You will also pay through the nose for "single supplement" if you won't share a room. I won't, either, and when I was looking to join friends last year my single supplement almost doubled the cost of a holiday including a flight. But with a small apartment, with one bedroom and a sofa bed in the lounge, you could have your own rooms and you can still choose local restaurant if you don't want to self-cater every evening. If you go on or before the first week in February you will easily find such accommodation in a ski in/out position in one of the French resorts. If you look on one of the websites like Sunweb you will find offers which include lift passes in lower cost resorts like Val Cenis.

That is about the best advice you will find on here.........France can still be the most cost effective place to ski

There are some good self catering deals on vrbo and airbnb for Jan and first week Feb also.

Easy jets to Grenoble, Bens Bus transfer, self catering apartment in Les Deux Alpes - under £800 for the two of you plus lift passes, spending, ski hire
Similar if you do one of the resorts nearer Geneva, like Flaine.
One small issue is the transfers are a liitle bit more difficult to plan to the smaller resorts where lift passes may be a bit cheaper.
ski holidays
Look at Montgenevre. Very family oriented (no night clubs).....1h30 driving from Turin Airport.
ski holidays
@wildestflower, be aware that for French resorts (not so sure about others) you will struggle to find accommodation on anything other than a Sat/Sat or sometimes Sun/Sun basis. There's a reason flights are much cheaper on Tuesdays..... You will also both need ski school, presumably, and that also restricts you to weekend, usually Saturday, arrivals unless you go for the more expensive private lesson option. If you can aim at the last week in January you should find a range of relatively low cost, piste-side, accommodation.
snow report
@wildestflower, We're a bit restricted in Ireland with flights. I generally do Dublin to Bergamo with Ryanair and usually go to Livigno. You'll get ski-in and almost ski out, very reliable snow, reasonable prices for excellent food and drink and lovely surroundings. The major downside is the long transfer (which I actually enjoy), but I'd rather compromise there than on snow or atmosphere. We've used Livignoskiholidays.com for the last few years and they've been great - send them an email with your requirements and they'll usually come back pretty quickly with a few ideas. The other option I have often looked at is Dublin to Munich, then on to somewhere close-ish in Austria, but I've never actually done this.
snow conditions
Thanks everyone for all your input! its greatly appreciated. So i think we have decided it is Italy somewhere. Narrowed down to a country at least Very Happy I think i'd prefer to book with a tour operator with just myself and my daughter travelling but nothing coming up with Crystal for where was receommended i.e. Colfosco, Corvara, or San Cassiano that looks decent for our dates. What is Val di Fassa like? or Passo Tonale?

Alternatively the choice is back over to the east with the likes of Sauze d'oulx, Sestriere, Bardonechia and Cervenia. Would any of these be a good option?

I've also emailed Livignoski, (thanks @element), so will see what they come back with.
snow report
Now you have decided on Italy and with your requirements Passo Tonale might be good
snow report
Thanks @Yellow Snow. do you think there are enough runs in Passo Tonale for a weeks skiing?
latest report
wildestflower wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your input! its greatly appreciated. So i think we have decided it is Italy somewhere. Narrowed down to a country at least Very Happy I think i'd prefer to book with a tour operator with just myself and my daughter travelling but nothing coming up with Crystal for where was receommended i.e. Colfosco, Corvara, or San Cassiano that looks decent for our dates. What is Val di Fassa like? or Passo Tonale?

Alternatively the choice is back over to the east with the likes of Sauze d'oulx, Sestriere, Bardonechia and Cervenia. Would any of these be a good option?

I've also emailed Livignoski, (thanks @element), so will see what they come back with.

@wildestflower

Inghams (major tour operator) also cover some of the Italian resorts you mentioned

https://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-resorts/italy
latest report
wildestflower wrote:
Thanks @Yellow Snow. do you think there are enough runs in Passo Tonale for a weeks skiing?

@wildestflower

Most of the runs in Passo Tonale are short easy blues and reds with some harder black runs up on the glacier. You can also ski down to Ponte Legno which has a mixture of blue runs and some harder reds.

Most tour operators also offer a days skiing in Madonna di Campagna for a reasonable price and they lay on a transfer coach. Madonna has lots of easy blue runs which are longer than the runs in Passo Tonale and also has some harder red runs
snow report
Unfortunately I’m in Ireland and Inghams don’t offer packages from Ireland any more as far as I can see
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you actually looked yourself or are you going to throw up objections to every decent suggestion??
snow conditions
@wildestflower, Passo Tonale can be a bit bleak. Certainly not the most attractive of resorts.
snow report
@wildestflower, Have you tried SkiWorld? They are a pretty big outfit and offer Italy
snow report
I would say that a lot of Italian resorts would suit. Passo Tonale, Cervinia, La Thuile to name a few
snow conditions
@wildestflower, have you settled on a definite week yet, or still flexible? Because particularly for the week ending 4 February France is almost certainly going to throw up the best choice of ski in/out options. It depends how important this element is to you. Personally, as an "older skier" I really prefer to avoid walking any distance on icy pavements, in ski boots, carrying skis.

Also, the tour operator options in Italy tend to be in hotels, which will be a lot more expensive than self-catering. I do think the Dolomites provide the very best scenery and hot chocolate though - and great places for lunches which don't break the bank. You need to be very clear about your priorities, especially with limited options of travel from Ireland.
ski holidays
Hotels are likely to be particularly expensive if you want two single rooms.
ski holidays
@Yellow Snow, I don't believe I have thrown up objections to anyone's suggestions?! I asked one question in relation to your suggestion of Passo Tonale and sorry if that offended you. In answer to your question I have spent hours reading and researching and going around in circles. I'm extremely grateful for the advice on here. This might be once off holiday with my daughter and as such I'm very keen to get the best option for us. Hence looking to those of you with lots of experience for advice.

@@pam w, We are still flexible ish in date from 21st of January onwards through February. We would prefer a hotel to be honest and we would definitely share a room. Our priorities are not too long a transfer, ski in ski out or very close to that, a hotel, enough easyish runs to fill a week. Preferably through a tour operator for peace of mind.

@@DCG, will take a look at Skiworld but think they might be Uk airports only.

@@dobby, thanks I'll take a look at Cervinia and La Thuile I think Crystal still has some options there for our dates.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Also, the tour operator options in Italy tend to be in hotels, which will be a lot more expensive than self-catering. I do think the Dolomites provide the very best scenery and hot chocolate though - and great places for lunches which don't break the bank. You need to be very clear about your priorities, especially with limited options of travel from Ireland.

As someone who uses Crystal and travels with Daughter from Ireland - I have generally found that the basic S/C price is much the same as a Hotel (which includes half board) - because most smaller Apartments are for 4 people, so an underoccupancy fee adds considerably to the cost.
latest report
wildestflower wrote:
@Yellow Snow, I don't believe I have thrown up objections to anyone's suggestions?! I asked one question in relation to your suggestion of Passo Tonale and sorry if that offended you. In answer to your question I have spent hours reading and researching and going around in circles. I'm extremely grateful for the advice on here. This might be once off holiday with my daughter and as such I'm very keen to get the best option for us. Hence looking to those of you with lots of experience for advice.

@@pam w, We are still flexible ish in date from 21st of January onwards through February. We would prefer a hotel to be honest and we would definitely share a room. Our priorities are not too long a transfer, ski in ski out or very close to that, a hotel, enough easyish runs to fill a week. Preferably through a tour operator for peace of mind.

@@DCG, will take a look at Skiworld but think they might be Uk airports only.

@@dobby, thanks I'll take a look at Cervinia and La Thuile I think Crystal still has some options there for our dates.

@wildestflower ......It's no worries, I actually meant it sarcastically and clearly missed that aim, so apologies back at ya. Hope you are making progress. There must be flights from Dublin or Cork and TOs from the ROI. Skiing is like Marmite - what is good for some is total hell for others, but I feel you have had some decent comment. Sometimes on here you you get some crazy ideas. It will all be worth it in the end. There were some ok packages to Passo and other Italian resorts with Crystal from UK airports......you need to find TUI Ireland
snow report
Cervinia is a good shout too from Dobby or Livigno, if you can hack the long transfer
snow report
+1 from me for Livigno.
Nice wide slopes , 1.800 till 2.700 , nice town + village, the slopes are not so difficult as someine in the ski map see....
Most all the accommodations are near the slopes or at least max. 3-4 min with the bus, nice pool complex near the entrance of the village
And cheap...i think no one in Europe you can trink near the slopes an italian espresso which costs almost 1.Euro
ski holidays
Another +1 for Livigno.

There are quite a lot of almost ski in accommodation options with easy to access lifts for the outward bound times. The town is quite charming with a little bit of life here and there. Not overly expensive, either.

Whilst the two skiing areas are on two different mountains on opposite sides of the town, getting to one from the other (one doesn’t have to, of course) is pretty straight forward.

The only real downside is the longish transfer, but I wouldn’t let that put you off. With your stated criteria, Livigno has a lot to offer.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy