Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Sadly links to Flaine still closed. We drove over. Links between Samoen and other villages are open.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We are lucky to be in Flaine where snow conditions are surprisingly good, the piste services have done a fantastic job and today was beautiful with good snow as far down as le Blanchot and a bit icy below, but skiable back to the village. Looks like the links to the GM will remain closed, but it does mean Flaine isn’t rammed although the car parks were full yesterday and today. Closed links will also limit the number of people they will allow up next week I would imagine, as I’ve seen that before when car parks are full. Looks like a top-up of snow above 1600m is coming as well tomorrow and Friday so just in time for New Year. What is open in Samoens does look extremely busy on the webcams with ribbons of white in green pasture , will probably get worse from this weekend as rain is due below 1600m unfortunately.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meteo France 15 day forecast for Samoens 1600 showing snow 9/10/11/12 - we drive down on the 13th so that's good enough for me to hang my hat on!! (realistically I know it's unreliable this far out, but need something to get me optimistic!!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Skied Samoens and LC today, which kept us occupied from about 10-3. As previous people have stated, there’s very little open, and the runs that are not closed are a mix of chopped up slush and icy patches. The top of Chariande Express was so icy that the wind had more influence over my direction than my skis. Still had a fun day messing around so all is not lost.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are heading to Samoens on 21st Jan so have been keeping an eye on snow forecast, what site is best to keep an eye on?I'm checking j2ski (I think that's what it's called)
Any recommendations welcomed..
Thanks all
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Switch off for at least 10 days, then come back to the forecasts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, that.

Also, @nickielmoore, snow-forecast is not, IMHO, the best. Generally I like meteoblue.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Planning to be in Les Carroz from Jan 7th. Doesn't seem like there will be snow left Sad
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snoswan wrote:
Planning to be in Les Carroz from Jan 7th. Doesn't seem like there will be snow left Sad
Welcome to snowHeads @snoswan, snowHead
. a few days ago locals were saying snow arriving 5th or 6th jan, keeping fingers crossed.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some snow last night everywhere apart from Morillon 1100 where it rained rolling eyes . Good to have a top up before the NY
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had a fun morning skiing the top half of Flaine today with my kids. Snow was good up top, although heavy, and it was very very windy on Grandes Platières. We ended up just doing laps on the Desert Blanc and Diamont Noir télésieges. This was ideal because there wasn't a queue, and the snow was pretty bad under 2000m anyway. About 11:30 vis got quite bad up high, with snow and wind coming in sideways, and by the time we got back to the car at noon it was raining at the bottom. Timed it perfectly. Smile

It was technically possible to ski all the way back to the fond de neige, but it wasn't pleasant or pretty. Crowded, rocky slush all the way in. I'm honestly not sure how the lower stations are staying open. If you're here for the weekend I'd definitely try to get up to Flaine and think about just doing laps on the top half.

Long range forecast looks to be improving, although we all know not to get too excited yet....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Some snow last night everywhere apart from Morillon 1100 where it rained

1100m is very low for early season, in that part of the Alps. But you'll be able to get up higher?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for these updates - hope you get another dusting soon to see out 2022!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I'm honestly not sure how the lower stations are staying open.

Welp, they're not I guess. Les Carroz, Morillon and Samoens all closed for the weekend now. Sad Flaine still "partially open".
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We are leaving today, it rained here at resort level as well yesterday but was snowing on most of the mountain, looks like a beautiful day on the cards and some fresh powder. As coldrainsnow says the rest of the GM has been closed, everything that was open in Flaine still is. They are filtering which traffic can head up to Flaine so an accommodation reservation helpful!
latest report
@Faust1,
Quote:

but was snowing on most of the mountain

Which goes to show how only a few kms and valleys can make a huge difference as it looks like it rained up to at least 1,900m in teh Chamonix valley last night rolling eyes
ski holidays
My son is heading out to Samoens on Monday with some mates, informed that the links to Flaine are closed. Thinking the nearest resort to head to is likely to be Avoriaz? Any other options? Would be grateful for any advice.
snow report
@ChrisP3, Avoriaz, Les Contamines and Chamonix all reasonable options locally.
latest report
Quote:

@ChrisP3, Avoriaz, Les Contamines and Chamonix all reasonable options locally.

Although the snow's not really looking better at any of those spots. Avoriaz is a bit higher than Samoens, but best options right now seem to be the top half of Flaine and maybe Grand Montets. Hopefully it starts cooling off a bit on Tuesday, but for reference it's forecast to be 17 degrees today and 18 tomorrow where I am at 1000 meters!

They could rent a car and have some more flexibility, definitely met some folks in the parking lot of Flaine yesterday that did just that.
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, not sure that Flaine would be better than the options I listed above (though it is closer!). I was assuming that @ChrisP3's son would be driving from Samoens each day, so going to multiple ski areas would give some variety even if the available terrain is relatively limited at each location.
latest report
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, not sure that Flaine would be better than the options I listed above (though it is closer!). I was assuming that @ChrisP3's son would be driving from Samoens each day.

Yeah totally, if they have a car then they can scope it out and go where it looks the best. Very Happy
snow report
Thanks all, I think car hire has been considered but proving challenging as they’ve booked transfers from Geneva. Any car hire options in or near Samoens? Tourist Information saying nothing local.
snow report
@ChrisP3, not sure if there’s anything local but have a look at the app called Ouicar - it’s more of a car sharing thing but there’s a guy in Morzine who rents out a car - so you might find one locally. Or what about Super U at Taninges? Don’t they do car/van hire?

Edit: Super u do, but not sure what options. And there are Ouicar people in les carroz and flaine foret by the look of it.

ski holidays
Brilliant, thanks Andy!
ski holidays
No worries @ChrisP3 - one of our mates rented a car off the Morzine bloke on Ouicar just for half a day to do a big shop - only cost him about €20 - less than a taxi.
ski holidays
Skied yesterday as my son insisted. Massive queue at Chariande express as lift restricted to 4 seats and also lift often stopping as high winds on top.

Eventually got up, v windy loads of people sheltering behind the hut. Everything wind scoured and not nice. Snow after that wasn’t bad down Dahu, soft and nice to ski. Below say 1700/1800 metres too soft.

Sitting on my balcony in t shirt now - it’s 17 degrees today. Ski area closed I think and no snow forecast till 8 Jan. Feel sorry for the business owners and anyone who has come out for Christmas week and next week.
snow report
Skied Flaine today (drove from Samoens). Felt like a bad April. Not too shabby in morning but got more progressively slushy and patchy. Kids switched to boards and messed around, adults switched to apres earlier than usual, so not a bad day really.
ski holidays
@ChrisP3,
Check out the other resort snow report threads to see where they could find snow.
The PdS thread has people asking what other resorts are drivable.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Communique just out from the GM resort services. GM Les Carroz ski areas to remain closed until at least 6 Jan inclusive. Police stationed at Les Carroz to stop Flaine being saturated when parking full. Lift pass offices in Flaine closed so only those with season passes or prebooked packages can access the slopes. Two 55 seater shuttle journeys to run each day from Les Carroz to Flaine…. doesn’t sound great but at least there is something
snow conditions
Just to add that Morillon and Samoens are shut too. Can imagine the pain of those who are staying there for a NY holiday…

Flaine conditions today reminded me the last day of the season this spring: very slushy, mogully and with a little lake at the bottom where a piste should be… maybe with a few more stones thrown in and some bare patches. But at least it works…
snow conditions
Situation seems to be getting desperate at Flaine: they are now scraping off the snow down the Slalom piste. Hopefully the colder weather in the next few days will help to keep all these efforts fruitful
ski holidays
looks slightly better for 8th /9th onwards, but of course may change.....................

snow report
I was wondering if anyone in the resort knows the situation with lift passes? We’re stopping at RockyPop in Flaine for 3 nights from Friday and are hoping they can still arrange passes for residents/guests. Of course if we can’t get them from the hotel and the ticket office windows are all closed then we’re stuffed as have no means of getting a pass. Any advice from those local much appreciated. I’ve emailed the hotel but no reply as of yet.
ski holidays
Quote:

I’ve emailed the hotel but no reply as of yet

They're probably inundated. Might be worth phoning as it's so vital.
snow report
Thanks @pam w, if I don’t hear back today I’ll give them a call tomorrow. That was my suspicion that every guest emailed them exactly the same question yesterday. I suspect it’s in their interests to sort passes for their guests though else most will just cancel and they’ll lose lots of bookings.
latest report
Tickets office is open… but I don’t know what they sell. I would have thought if you are already in the resort they’d sell a ticket, as they seem to be filtering cars on approach. Another way is to become a member of Skillico- costs €30, and this should work even according to the official announcement. This is actually a very good system that can save on passes, just Google it.
snow report
What is situation if you have booked Samoens/ les Carroz this week but didn't prebook a ski pass? Can you buy a Grand Massif or Flaine one? Is it up to you to book your own taxi over? How far is it? Is there bus? How much is taxi?
ski holidays

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 10-01-23 9:55; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lift pass offices are all closed and online ski pass bookings are not possible except for those with a start date on or after 7 January. The municipal Police are screening cars on the road up to Flaine at the Molliets parking lot and only allowing those to park who already hold season passes or pre-bought ski passes, who can then take shuttles up to Flaine. Residents of Flaine and those with booked accommodation who are staying in Flaine can drive up to Flaine to park for their accommodation and the Tourism Office has ski pass sales for those with proof of booked accommodation.
ski holidays
Thanks @Faust1, it’s that last point which I really needed to know. So long as we can buy a pass with proof of accommodation, which we have, then we should be fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy