Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2022-2023 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Biollaire piste has reopened which is great. Chariande Express shown as open already, Coulouvrier and Tete Des Saix lifts marked as pending. Heading up shortly
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

It's still raining at Morillon village height, however I can see that the snow line has dropped.
nbt heard blasting this morning, which can only be a good sign. Avalanche risk has risen from one early in the week to four.

Yup the AV risk this week is going to be real. Webcams at Foret show lots of snow in Flaine, higher web cams are all whited out!!! Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Snow in Vercland overnight, though it’s r raining now
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It looks like the road will be closed at the bottom roundabout this evening, FYI.

Samedi 11.03 - de 16h30 à 17h30 - Route bloquée entre la sortie 19 de l'A40 et le rond-point de Balme, menant à Flaine. Déviation par le col de Châtillon.

Anybody driven up today? How are the roads? I've got to drop my kid off at a birthday party then pick up friends in GVA later tonight... thinking of sneaking in a few runs, depending on conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rain up to 2100 at tete de saix. Snow is heavy and sticky. We’ve packed in already, downloading to Vercland
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Rain up to 2100 at tete de saix. Snow is heavy and sticky. We’ve packed in already, downloading to Vercland

ack, bummer... thanks for the report.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hello from Flaine! Arrived late yesterday afternoon, my niece several hours later due to transfer driver struggling to put chains from pretty low down. Snow at Flaine last night and first thing but then turned to rain...and still drizzling now...we are right by the magic carpet close to Aup de Veran lift. Lots of deep slushy stuff on paths and non pistes, about to venture out. Here for a week, skiing with niece for two days then she is due to be training so wondering if anyone might be up for coffee meet up, as I will be meandering around, possibly with a lesson(s). If anyone has experience of ESF weekdays groups I would welcome as that is an option I'm thinking about too
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welp, that was worse than I expected lol. Started at the Lac and went up to Tourmaline, where it was raining even on the top about 14:00. Vis was very poor, snow wet and heavy. Took the DMC up to the top where it was very windy and very little vis. Went down Faust once and then bailed back to le Lac. No regrets but that wasn't worth the drive up. Eh oh!

Flaine did get a lot of snow up top but the snowline was very high, even more than expected think. It was easily raining up until 2000m, maybe higher. Hopefully it cools off a bit and we still get a dump on Tuesday, there's a bit more base up high at least.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

my niece several hours later due to transfer driver struggling to put chains from pretty low down.

that's absolutely shocking. No excuse at all.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@sj1608, thank you, will do.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@coldrainsnow, The day had so much promise and yet delivered the wettest powder (oxymoronic, I know) I’ve ever experienced. Shame. But a good lunch at I’gloo was worth the effort despite returning home carting twice my weight via soaked-in rain - mostly in my gloves.
Should have worn a bin bag like the old ESF instructors advise! Eh oh!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

my niece several hours later due to transfer driver struggling to put chains from pretty low down.

that's absolutely shocking. No excuse at all.

She was due a bit behind me as on a slightly later plane but was stuck for about 1 1/2 hours, (transfer took over 3 hours) and ended up helping get the chains on, which indeed was not the service expected
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would have thought being able to put chains on under any conditions would be a prerequisite for being a transfer driver in the Alps …
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe the driver had been reading the drivel some people have posted on Snowheads about chains never being needed if you have winter tyres. I'd want some of my money back if I'd had to put the chains on a transfer van.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, The day had so much promise and yet delivered the wettest powder (oxymoronic, I know) I’ve ever experienced. Shame. But a good lunch at I’gloo was worth the effort despite returning home carting twice my weight via soaked-in rain - mostly in my gloves.

Totally, looking at the bright side it was good practice skiing impossibly wet powder with nearly zero vis. No regrets! Wife literally kicked me out of the house at one point saying "If you don't go up there you're going to sit here wondering how the snow is all afternoon" lol.

Glad you had a good lunch! I grabbed a tasty sandwich in Araches on my way back down. Here's hoping this cold snap actually comes in Tues/Wed and brings some blower powder with it... Smile
latest report
Got royally shafted, having had lunch at excellent Dix-sept beside the Grand Cret. Caught gondola up and skied down to beginning of Grand Cret, only to find Coulouvier, which had been running, was now closed. So full length ski of GC in slush, Christ knows how many turns and only stopping to clear goggles. Then half speed gondola.
Chariande Express seemed only to be letting several people on at a time, so had to wait for partner. Long ride with zero vis and snow blasting at top.
Another 500 turns to get back to Flaine via Vernant, which also only let punters on by appointment.
Why, why, why, Delilah, was the banner for Coulouvier fermée not at the TOP of the gondola.
Still, anything which doesn’t…
ski holidays
@coldrainsnow, I feel your pain. Skiing in wet cement, with rain and little visibility was challenging. Years of skiing experience got me down.
I got to the Coulouvrier lift to find my pass missing. How on earth the tiny zipped arm pocket had opened. So lucky that the kind lifty let me on the chair. I squeezed through a tiny gap to get on the last lift Damoiselle. Again the kindness of strangers, as someone had handed my pass in. It was found on the floor of the Vercland gondola. The lady at the lift pass office handed it over, what a relief. I need to go back to the old days when passes were on a string around one's neck - not. Laughing
snow report
@NBT that was great spot of luck!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 13-03-23 8:44; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
What a difference a day makes! Morning off while it was raining, then headed up for lunch at the reposette and a bit of skiing. For all the way over to aup de veran and lapiaz and it was actually nice skiing (at times). Quite windblown and icy over there, and a three minute stoppage on the steep section of the lapiaz drag was not fun, but plenty of new snow in evidence and hoards of folks heading off piste already, not entirely sure how advisable that was given that the avalanche risk is up to 4 having been at 1 last week
Headed back via corbalanche which was running, being a Sunday, then skied all the way down to the Rep: slushy spring snow but not heavy like yesterday. Great afternoon out
snow report
@nbt, Niiiiiiiice. Eh oh!
ski holidays

Excellent views to Mont Blanc this morning from top of Desert Blanc lift, but winds closed gondolas on and off all day, route over to Samoens etc not open, and very warm, so trying to avoid water-skiing by mid afternoon in Flaine. They quoted 7C for the morning and 11C for the afternoon but it felt warmer. Heavy snow forecast for tonight but at 1600 it looks like it will be rain until at least the early hours. Much less white in general away from pistes compared with yesterday
snow report
Very sticky snow on Aup de Veran side, but Faust and Serpentine great fun.
ski holidays
Thunderstorm is happening in Flaine now...
latest report
@alexsas the lightening has been incredible hasn't it! The whole sky has been alight....and the WiFi box I have hired via the tourist office now says no service so I'm wondering if a mast/some electrics have been knocked out...
It's now definitely raining too...
snow conditions
Same in Carroz, really spectacular.
snow report
It looks like a Vodafone mast is down (hopefully only metaphorically) - other providers seem to work a little, but very slowly...
snow report
Ah... 4G wifi via Bougues Telecom (not sure if that's linked to Vodafone) is back at least for now.....the thunder rumbles on meanwhile
latest report
Yeah we got the storm around 10pm, took about an hour to roll through. It rained on and off all night, is raining now in the village. I can see snow on the trees higher up, looks like the snowline is about 1400-1500m. Cloud have rolled in and covered the plateu so maybe a bit damp up there. Hoping the links are open today...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snow at Front de Neige level since around midnight on and off, winds look high still from the angles the snow flakes are taking....up, down, sideways...all at once...plenty of treetop movement.....most of the area outside was clear before the storm.
snow report

snow conditions
On the way up. Snow line below the 17 restaurant on Grand Cret, heavy rain at Vercland. Visibility limited
latest report
Quite a storm last night haha! Our place is across the valley from Cluses, perched up on a knoll... and dang we got walloped as the storm came up the valley!

Quote:

On the way up. Snow line below the 17 restaurant on Grand Cret, heavy rain at Vercland. Visibility limited

Have fun and keep us posted!
ski holidays
Getting some work done this morning- definitely keen to know how heavy going it is on the slopes if you get a moment @nbt
latest report
Sleet and heavy sticky snow at Samoens 1600. Very low visibility through to Flaine. Dmc running slowly but no queue! Zero visibility at the top, high winds, but nice snow underfoot. Need to get the skis waxed!
snow report
Thanks for the update, snow sounds OK, rest not so lovely! Opting to get some necessary work done today to free up tomorrow, which so far looks better regarding wind and visibility.....lunch out currently, mixture of folks in ski and non ski gear, so guessing it's not too busy out there.
snow conditions
We skied from Les Carroz today. Plenty of new snow at top of tête de Saix and snowing heavily for much of the morning, rough guess of 30cm now at top. Visibility poor when skied into Samoen so then headed to Morillon. Fresh snow right into Les Esserts (just), tree down on Marvel (roped off by control). Conditions definitely improved as day went on (sun came out briefly as we skied back over) and virtually no one out skiing. A very good day. Back now and snow settling on our terrace in village.
snow report
Very nice snow at top of Flaine but vis very much coming and going. Skied from top at 4.30 and couldn’t see piste markers at one stage.
Tomorrow could be very pleasant!
latest report
What's the best lift to start from if the conditions are bad? I may go there on Saturday.
ski holidays
Light dusting of snow all the way down to village level this morning
Quote:

What's the best lift to start from if the conditions are bad

Flaine will offer the best skiing. Morilllon also has plenty of slopes even when links are closed. Morillon and Les Carroz both have trees in case of poor visibility. The only one to avoid would be Samoens
snow conditions
Oh my goodness it’s like a different resort. Fresh snow all round, just get a little icy as you approach Morillon or Les Carroz
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy