Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FIS goes phat

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Kostelic with her new Pocket Rockets for next Season
The FIS (Federation Internationale de Ski) is planning to increase minimum ski widths as one of a range of new safety measures. (Does that mean they’ll be known as PHIS now?) The measures are in response to concerns about an increase in lower leg injuries, particularly in juniors.

...The decision was taken at the recent 45th FIS congress in Vilmoura, Portugal. As a result, ski widths will be expanded, the maximum ski length will be reduced, plate and binding height will be reduced, boot height will be restricted, and giant slalom ski radiuses will be regulated for the 2007-08 season. They’ve also made crash helmets compulsory in all FIS Alpine Skiing events.

FIS news flash

Other decisions made: http://www.fis-ski.com/uk/newsinformation/pressreleases/pressreleases2006/alpineskiingcouncildecis.html
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry, don't compute. How does wider width reduce injuries? Pardon my ignorance, I'm just too lazy to work it out myself. I'd have intuited that wider underfoot meant greater lateral leverage on the knee...

Does this mean we'll have powder capable slalom skis? Will they need to increase the distance between gates?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Surely it's the minimum ski length that should be reduced, as for many short children in Junior 1 the current minimum lengths are unsafe and also put them at a disadvantage.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was only about 4 years ago that they increased ski length (155 to 165 for guys) because of the increase in injuries. The factories obliged but changed the geometry so the skis turned like the shorter skis. Longer skis, same forces. It seams strange that FIS didn't set a minimum turn radius for skis. If they had done, those of us who race on snow wouldn't have to change skis once again.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
narrowlast, The 165 slalom skis don't turn quite the same as the 155s did. Race 165s are around 13m, the 155s were around 11m.

My current slalom skis have a 63mm waist so will still be legal, the GS sidecut radius change will have a bigger impact in my opinion.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This was part of the Minutes of the Alpine Working Group of the Committee for Youth and Children
September 30th 2005 in Zurich, Switzerland

Switzerland has proposed that length of skis – all disciplines - for Junior1
must be in proportion to height and weight and a solution must be found
that will solve the problem of short and light juniors having to ski on skis
that are too long and too heavy. (In ski-jumping the length of the ski is
dependent on height and weight of the competitor). The WG Committee
agrees with the Swiss proposal.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That first link doesn't work for me, what's the new minimum width please?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marc gledhill, there are details here and a discussion on Epic
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks PG, it seems I'm legally fat enough. Cool
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy