Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens Season Opening

Poster: A snowHead
I have been watching the webcam's and the snow forecast and its not looking great for the start of the season as far as I can see!

They had snow a few days ago and then turned on the snow guns, but now the snow at resort level looks like its melting again with very little snow forecast to come in before the 19th. The snow guns are now off again as temperatures are forecast to rise again.

We were meant to head there for a weekend of skiing on the 24th Nov, but it's not looking promising.

Anyone else watching what's going on around the Alps/Dolomites?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I’m in the same boat - Val Thorens 25-30 Nov. I am a newbie but I’ve been reassured by folks in the 3V 22-23 thread that there will be something to ski on plus I have lessons booked and the instructor is confident too.

I am glass half full. I read somewhere that only 1 recent opening weekend was deferred by a week in Val Thorens (I could be wrong here).

What can you do I guess - except pray for now Very Happy Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back in the day, they used to open every year for "Carnaval" - Oct half-term... as well as summer ski-ing on both glaciers. Sadly, those days seem long gone...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, we are there the 26th and 27th.

I think 2015 was delayed for 1 week... so that does bode well, especially as we are there for the second weekend!

yep, I will be praying! I have also turned in to a snow forecast/web cam obsessive!! Eh oh!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Moorzee10 wrote:
Yes I’m in the same boat - Val Thorens 25-30 Nov. I am a newbie but I’ve been reassured by folks in the 3V 22-23 thread that there will be something to ski on plus I have lessons booked and the instructor is confident too.

I am glass half full. I read somewhere that only 1 recent opening weekend was deferred by a week in Val Thorens (I could be wrong here).

What can you do I guess - except pray for now Very Happy Puzzled

Btw... where is the 3V 22-23 thread? I have looked, but can't find it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is in the snow reports/weather domain.

I am also looking at webcams all day. It’s subzero in Val Thorens tonight so you would hope the cannons will be going on! Again, I am not qualified to comment on this… Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Moorzee10 wrote:

I am also looking at webcams all day. It’s subzero in Val Thorens tonight so you would hope the cannons will be going on! Again, I am not qualified to comment on this… Laughing

Thanks! Me Neither! Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Moorzee10 wrote:

Snow guns on again this morning! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
bensaunders1973 wrote:

Btw... where is the 3V 22-23 thread? I have looked, but can't find it!

Right here:

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161359
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bensaunders1973 wrote:
Yeah, we are there the 26th and 27th.

I think 2015 was delayed for 1 week... so that does bode well, especially as we are there for the second weekend!

yep, I will be praying! I have also turned in to a snow forecast/web cam obsessive!! Eh oh!

Honestly you will be fine. If they have started spending money on blowing the snow cannons it means that they think they are going to be able to make a snowbase on the main runs. Not all of the runs will be open but you say you are a newish skier so that shouldn't matter too much. Some of the runs might be strips of white between bare mountain but you will still be able to ski on that.

Been there, done that with the compulsive webcam watching. You can't change the weather so I would just try not to worry and look forward to your holiday. Even with modern supercomputers it is still notoriously difficult to predict the weather more than 2-3 days out so things can still change. It only takes one semi-decent dump of snow to really transform things (although tbh you don't really want to be in VT in whiteout conditions, it can be pretty miserable).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bensaunders1973, weirdly I looked at the VT webcams the other day and commented on how good it's looking for opening weekend, bearing in mind it's only the first week of Nov. They had a big dump last week, and are due another 12cm in a couple of days (according to Bergfex).

Essentially there's still 3 weeks to go, which is a lifetime at this stage of the season. It looks like temperatures are starting to drop which allows them to get the snow cannons going, but they'll just keep the it all piled up by the side of the piste. And then in the week before the bashers go crazy!

It'll all be fine, barring a heatwave, they'll ensure it's open and you have something to ski on.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Handy Turnip wrote:
@bensaunders1973,

Essentially there's still 3 weeks to go, which is a lifetime at this stage of the season.

It'll all be fine, barring a heatwave, they'll ensure it's open and you have something to ski on.

VT is actually planning to open on 19/11/22 - in 12 days time (not in 3 weeks...).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @Bergmeister, misread the comment on the 24th! My bad!

Over the next week it looks like on the majority of days will be below zero at resort level - so the cannons will be blasting out, and they'll get some pistes open. I still wouldn't be too worried - as mentioned above, it's very rare for them to postpone opening weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also when when it is too warm at resort level they can still make snow at the higher levels which keep the snow better and bash it down the pistes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
All good info people! Thanks for the reassurance!!
snow conditions
Yeah the webcam viewing can get a bit impulsive/frustrating. Am off to Tignes early December and naturally worry a little. Mind last three trips (excluding 2020 naturally) there was tons of snow, as was VT.

Luckily my wife has me on a Caribbean cruise for the fortnight before the ski trip and the wifi will be rubbish so I can stop looking at webcams and get an early season tan Eh oh! . Actually a cruise is a great way to prep for a ski trip with daily gym sessions and loadsa protein filled steaks.
latest report
I think all will be well, heading there 7/12, it's very high.
snow report
It may rain tomorrow to 2400 meters then we're set for a mini return to summer over the weekend, this "may" put back the opening a few days. The FL's are quite high at the moment for November.
snow report
davidof wrote:
It may rain tomorrow to 2400 meters then we're set for a mini return to summer over the weekend, this "may" put back the opening a few days. The FL's are quite high at the moment for November.

Looking at the forecast, the 18th looks like the next big dump and then temps seem to fall too! Maybe they will delay a week like they did in 2015?
snow report
bensaunders1973 wrote:
Maybe they will delay a week like they did in 2015?

that would seem possible at the moment
latest report
davidof wrote:
bensaunders1973 wrote:
Maybe they will delay a week like they did in 2015?

that would seem possible at the moment

Seems after the 18th the temps are much lower and more snow is coming too.
snow report
We're down the valley in St Martin at the moment. It's set to rain tomorrow as you know. Mr P and I might head up to VT later in the week to see how it looks and to let the dog run around on what ever snow is there. Will keep you posted!
snow conditions
You don't have to go much above Val Thorens resort level to find quite a good depth of snow. Around a meter at 3000 meters. If they get the cold it may be possible to open higher up with a piste to return to resort and the lifts there. The first week would be limited opening anyway.
snow conditions
It's going to be tight, and it'll be down to how late they want to play it. After some rain, some snow is forecast tomorrow night at resort level. Then temps could drop significantly from Monday, with potential snow in the days following.

They might take a call that with the upper slopes looking okay, they can sort the resort level slopes in the last few days before opening, if they are confident that the temps will drop.

As @davidof says, they would have been expecting a limited opening anyway.
snow conditions
A good amount of snow falling this evening in VT.
snow report
@bensaunders1973, good to get a top up, especially for the upper slopes as I don't think a massive amount fell in the resort.

Importantly temps drop from Sunday night so they'll get the cannons blasting next week - plus there's a chance of another 5-10cm at some point next week.

I think they'll open for the 19th - but to maintain it after that they need temps to stay low.
snow conditions
So I keep watching the snow reports and it does look like the snow will start to come in after this weekend! Fingers crossed the temps stay low!!
snow report
@bensaunders1973, VT have delayed the opening day till the 26th. Hopefully that doesn't mess up your plans too much.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20221114/frances-highest-ski-resort-val-thorens-delays-opening-over-lack-of-snow/

Last week it looked like this weeks forecast would be good enough to it open this weekend, but the freezing level has crept up a little which probably means it's too much of gamble for this weekend - and they had to give people a little notice at least.

The good news is that from Fri, temps look like they will drop quite a bit with a decent amount of snow potentially on the way.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Handy Turnip wrote:
@bensaunders1973, VT have delayed the opening day till the 26th. Hopefully that doesn't mess up your plans too much.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20221114/frances-highest-ski-resort-val-thorens-delays-opening-over-lack-of-snow/

Last week it looked like this weeks forecast would be good enough to it open this weekend, but the freezing level has crept up a little which probably means it's too much of gamble for this weekend - and they had to give people a little notice at least.

The good news is that from Fri, temps look like they will drop quite a bit with a decent amount of snow potentially on the way.

Yeah, I keep watching the forecast and the temps and it does look like its moving in the right direction. Various different forecasts show resort level snow for this week and next with hopefully some heavy snow before the 26th!

We should arrive in resort last on the 25th, so it could work out great.... unless they delay again!! Mad
ski holidays
bensaunders1973 wrote:

We should arrive in resort last on the 25th, so it could work out great.... unless they delay again!! Mad

I think your timing could be perfect - nothing is guaranteed but I'd be pretty confident that they won't delay again.
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
bensaunders1973 wrote:

I think your timing could be perfect - nothing is guaranteed but I'd be pretty confident that they won't delay again.

It certainly looks more positive than it was when I was looking last week! Fingers are firmly crossed!
ski holidays
My first day of skiing will also now be the first day of the season in Val Thorens… all being well!
ski holidays
@bensaunders1973, @Moorzee10.. don't forget to update on how it all goes! Always been tempted to do opening weekend so fascinated to know how conditions are.
latest report
Val Thorens confirm they will be opening on 26th November: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/ski-la-station-de-val-thorens-reporte-son-ouverture-faute-d-enneigement-suffisant-2654012.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1668355186-5
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Val Thorens confirm they will be opening on 26th November: https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr/auvergne-rhone-alpes/savoie/ski-la-station-de-val-thorens-reporte-son-ouverture-faute-d-enneigement-suffisant-2654012.html?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1668355186-5

Fingers crossed!!!
ski holidays
Snow last night (just a little), snow guns on this morning and more snow forecast over the next 4-5 days. It is looking a bit more promising! Very Happy
snow report
Lots of snow on the ground, snow guns on constantly and more snow this week. All looking super positive for the season opening on Saturday!! Very Happy
latest report
Piste bashers out today on the webcams!
snow conditions
It snowed a fair bit last night in 3V, and it’s still coming down (albeit lightly) above ~1500m in Méribel… judging from the conditions in mottaret and a glance further up towards VT, I’m quietly confident for Saturday.
ski holidays
According to a VT Facebook post from earlier today, they have 40cm of snow in resort and 80cm on the upper slopes. That should do nicely for opening weekend.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy