Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inflation? European resort prices for lager?

Poster: A snowHead
Given recent inflation, I'm wondering if the blow can be softened by knowing in advance just how expensive a 50cl glass of lager is these days - in a European resort?

What does un sérieux of Mutzig go for in Meribel this season?

Or une chope de la Chouffe in Chamonix?

I'm used to 5€ for 50cl out in the sticks, but for une pinte in the Pyrénées, it seems 7-9€ is pretty typical depending upon whether it's bog standard Kronenbourg, or premium 1664 blanche.

I'm fearing that in the likes of VdIsere, it's going to be 10€ per 50cl glass, just to keep the coins to a minimum.

What have folk found so far?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My part of the Pyrenees it’s about €3.50-4 for 300/330ml and €4.50-6ish for 500ml up in the ski areas. Down where I live anything from €3.50-5 for 500ml.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
crosbie wrote:

I'm fearing that in the likes of VdIsere, it's going to be 10€ per 50cl glass, just to keep the coins to a minimum.

Tignes and Val D'Iz were about 9€ for 500ml on the mountain in most places before Christmas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
€3.50 50cl to €9.50 cheapest and dearest for us this week in Saint Francoise Longchamps, average seems to be €6/7 for 50cl draught here
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hammerite wrote:
My part of the Pyrenees it’s about €4.50-6ish for 500ml up in the ski areas. Down where I live anything from €3.50-5 for 500ml.

I'm talking Luz St.Sauveur/Bareges/Ardiden neck of the woods.

Cheapest away from the ski resorts I've found is 4€80.

Where the heck do you get 3€50 for 50cl? Sounds bloody good to me. What brand of lager? Local? Jupiler? Meteor?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Judwin wrote:
Tignes and Val D'Iz were about 9€ for 500ml on the mountain in most places before Christmas.

Interesting...

I wonder if 9€ is the psychologically tolerable price, as in 99p is better than a quid?

Perhaps there will be bars in Courchevel 1850 happy to go for the full tenner - or just skip it, and go to the 12€ price point.

Last time I was in VdI, the 50cl was around 6€ - and that was expensive on my budget.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alasdair.graham wrote:
€3.50 50cl to €9.50 cheapest and dearest for us this week in Saint Francoise Longchamps

Is this 3€50 in happy hour or sommat?

I'm missing out!

Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
crosbie wrote:
hammerite wrote:
My part of the Pyrenees it’s about €4.50-6ish for 500ml up in the ski areas. Down where I live anything from €3.50-5 for 500ml.

I'm talking Luz St.Sauveur/Bareges/Ardiden neck of the woods.

Cheapest away from the ski resorts I've found is 4€80.

Where the heck do you get 3€50 for 50cl? Sounds bloody good to me. What brand of lager? Local? Jupiler? Meteor?

Andorra - Estrella, Alhambra, San Miguel, Moritz. €3.50 in some locals bars. The one I go into before football matches is €4.80 for 750ml. They ran out of draft before the last game, €11 for four 330ml bottles.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hammerite wrote:
Andorra - Estrella, Alhambra, San Miguel, Moritz. €3.50 in some locals bars. The one I go into before football matches is €4.80 for 750ml. They ran out of draft before the last game, €11 for four 330ml bottles.

Sounds like a good deal.

I recently visited the Basque part of Spain, and can recommend the Mahou lager - very clean flavour.

I'm not sure if I'll venture up to Soldeu this season, but I'd like to. Not sure what the bar prices would be tho.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last time I was in The Harp last month, I think I paid about €5 for a pint of Heineken. Friends were drinking Guinness and I think that was €5.50 (I could be wrong though!)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Euro7/Courmayeur
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Last Feb it was €9 for 500ml of Afli on the best piste side bar in Montgenevre. I’ll report back from Les Gets in 12 days snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Grindelwald 50cl of local draught £4.65 at yesterday's exchange rate. One or the main hotels beside the station
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Staying in Galtur at the moment, don't drink on the mountain, but in the valley, hotel charges 4.80 for a decent beer and 5.20 for weissbeer, posh bar in Ischgl 6.00.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Depends what it is. Here in Les Arcs you can get some if that tasteless Heineken stuff for 5 euro. I’m happy to pay the 8 or 9 euro for the decent beer though.
Last week in Tignes the prices were the same generally.
latest report
My local area (Dachstein West) €4.50-€4.80 for a large beer (50cl) vom fass. The same on the mountain as in the towns. Typically Gösser, Zipfer, Kaiser. Some places have Weissbeer - €5.00-€5.20.
latest report
Blurry memory, but think the local Weiss beer in La Rosee Blanche in la daille was 9 €.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:

Andorra is famous for being duty free. Would that also translate through to bar prices?
latest report
La Rosiere (Tarantaise) 8.50 - 11 Euros a couple of weeks ago
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
hammerite wrote:

Andorra is famous for being duty free. Would that also translate through to bar prices?

In shops certainly, particularly spirits. Beer seems to be a similar price in shops to Spain.

In bars, it's not obvious. A gin and tonic might be around €8. Although it's usually a huge measure of gin.
latest report
sbooker wrote:
Depends what it is. Here in Les Arcs you can get some if that tasteless Heineken stuff for 5 euro. I’m happy to pay the 8 or 9 euro for the decent beer though.
Last week in Tignes the prices were the same generally.

Around these parts, the local cervicerias charge the same or within a few cents for all beers on tap. They'll usually have two lagers, a weissbeer, an IPA and an ale. It's a bit different if you start drinking obscure bottled stuff though.
latest report
After all, nowehere in The Alps or Pyrenees has the views or the ambience of a local 'Spoons does it???
snow report
Rogerdodger wrote:
Grindelwald 50cl of local draught £4.65 at yesterday's exchange rate. One or the main hotels beside the station

I thought Switzerland was meant to be eye-wateringly expensive? That's really good price imo, I pay more than that in London.
latest report
Yellow Snow wrote:
After all, nowehere in The Alps or Pyrenees has the views or the ambience of a local 'Spoons does it???

There are enough Irish bars everywhere. Perhaps it's time for a Weatherspoons pub in a ski resort?

Question is, what do you think would be the most likely ski resort (outside UK) for Weatherspoons to open up a 'home from home' pub?

Meribel?

Bansko?

Pas de la Casa?

Puzzled
snow report
But a London pint is bigger than a Swiss or French one?
ski holidays
Partly driven by the fact they don't know how to serve a pint with a head on it dahn sarf!! wink
latest report
pam w wrote:

There are 568ml in a London pint (in most good establishments)

Il y a 500 ml dans une pinte française.

It just so happens that the €/£ exchange rate is about the same as the pinte/pint ratio.

So, if a French pint cost 5€, and a London pint cost £5, then the price of lager per ml is the same.

Cute eh? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
13% bigger. But then if you multiply it up, £5.28 is still a bargain in london!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I thought I would comment on this thread with some knowledge of the industry, specific to France though.

I run a brewery in the Tarentaise (Sapaudia).

The price increases on raw ingredients such as malt have been massive, up to 70% increase. Chemicals have seen huge increases, as have all the other bits and bobs we get (think branded glassware, buying stainless steel kegs, cans, fuel).

The big lager brewers have increased their prices roughly 15 cents per litre. You may think just because we are a local beer our beer should be cheaper. Wrong. We use ingredients from all around the world, and obviously don't have the economies of scale to buy in bulk on huge contracts.

Staffing costs in France are huge, and people only have a short window to make their money. The cheapest pint of our beer on happy hour is 5€ (in Vert Hotel Chamonix and Reservoir in Tignes Les Brev). Otherwise prices range from 7€ to 10€ per pint. What I will say is that we generally come in around 50 cents to 1€ more expensive than the mass produced lager. So I think a lot of customers now are choosing quality over quantity, and will enjoy one or two pints of local, craft beer, rather than 4 pints of lager at apres.

Obviously, our margin is only made on selling direct to the bars or to the distributors. The bars charging 10€ a probably making a lot more than we are, but they also have the overheads of running a bar in a ski resort, with lots of staff.

Beer has always been more expensive here but I suspect the strong £ meant people didn't notice it as much. Prices in the UK are sneaking up pretty quickly, as brewers there are really struggling due to the energy pricing. Luckily in France, we've been a lot better protected by the government on energy pricing.

Happy to answer any beer related questions.
ski holidays
Saalbach schooner = 6-7€ over new year. Thought that was OK TBH, food has ramped up a bit mind......
snow report
Really interesting @timlongs. I have been impressed by the amount of local craft brews in France these days, from memory it never used to be like this. The ones I have sampled have all been really good too.
snow conditions
For comparison a pint of Neck Oil will set you back £6.50 (€7.34) in one of the pubs I'm forced to frequent in London.
latest report
@Mjit, Good comparison, and Beavertown is 100% owned by Heineken, so you're not buying from an independently owned brewery either!
snow conditions
You'll all have to drink galopins.
snow conditions
Neck Oil is flipping lovely though so it gets a pass. It’s gone fully mainstream and commercial now of course but I still sort of see it separately from the other mass produced lagers (through rose tinted specs I suppose).
snow report
Mjit wrote:
For comparison a pint of Neck Oil will set you back £6.50 (€7.34) in one of the pubs I'm forced to frequent in London.

What do they do get you in a hold an march you in or is it a gun in the pocket in the back Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@timlongs, Do you bottle it and sell it locally? I'm always happy to drink locally produced stuff rather than mass produced stuff but tend to eat and drink in with friends rather than drink out.
snow report
@T Bar, We sell it in cans yes, depending on where you're staying there may be a shop nearby selling it. In future we should have a webshop where you can order in advance and we can get it dropped off at your chalet.
snow report
Pyramus wrote:
Rogerdodger wrote:

I thought Switzerland was meant to be eye-wateringly expensive? That's really good price imo, I pay more than that in London.

It’s a myth.
snow report
Half a litre of very agreeable mass-produced beer in Obergurgl was €5.90 at New Year.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy