Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last minute for Christmas- book now of wait longer?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - l am looking to book for a family of 4 lat minute for Christmas week. Normally book well in advance but this year left it last minute because my child is due to have surgery- this has been somewhat postponed so will now be able to go skiing. Kids are 8 and 12 , have skied before and we are on budget. We were thinking of joining friends in Champoluc but actually this is not a must and anywhere with snow and not too small would be great. So my question is do l DYI and book now or wait until the very last moment to book - and see if any last minute deals with TOs? We will need ski school for kids as well, happy with either hotels or self catering.. ideally want to fly, but would consider driving.
What is the best strategy for a cheaper holiday and less risk of being stuck without snow? This might be our only option to ski this season
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I doubt you will find last minute deals with a TO.
I was looking for 10th/11th, but got jittery with the weather. Now flights are more than I was prepared to pay for a such a short break!

If you are want to fly & happy with the price, then probably best to book!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Bella2015, Easyjet flights are still pretty cheap, c. £70 return 24/31 Dec.

If you're not fussed about accommodation quality, you can always find a cheap 30m2 apartment somewhere in France.

Only you know your own risk tolerance on leaving it late - years ago before I DIY'd, I used to find the challenge with late TO bookings was that there might not be flight availability. The operator could have surplus accommodation and a cheap deal somewhere, but not any flights to actually get there.

If you're prepared to drive as a fallback, then you can potentially tolerate a lot of risk on the rest. Whatever happens you'll be able to find accommodation in a French shoebox.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What you might NOT be able to find at the last minute is ski school.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're on a budget drive out I would think. Four air tickets and hire car/transfer will cost more than the drive.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why don't you go the week before ie 17th to 24th December? You will probably get better deals for that week and less crowded slopes. I think Christmas week will be busier than normal this year as New Year week is term time so families who normally go at New Year will probably go the week before.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We pulled the trigger last month. For us, the accommodation was just as important as the area. Don't want to be spending Christmas in a small French box....

If you were looking to leave it late, then book the flights to a central-ish airport now. Grenoble/Lyon gives good access to most of France and the Italian Alp resorts. Or Zurich gives good access to Switzerland and the west Austrian resorts.
Or you just book the crossings and drive it. Then ultimate last minute choice!

As for the resort, well the usual "higher is better" applies. For us, the usual "snow-sure" purpose built places like Val T, Avoriaz, ADH, Tignes, Obergurgl etc didn't appeal over Christmas as they lack that "charm" (whilst still being brilliant ski resorts!). So we actually went for a bit of a compromise and staying by the Lake in Montriond. Beautiful surroundings, but with snow sure slopes just a lift away if it's a dry start to the season. We were also considering Champoluc ourselves actually. Pila was also on our list as well.

Accommodation wise, you may get a good deal on a half board option. But so much more freedom with self catering in something like an Air BnB. Depends if you want a more private Christmas with a lounge that you can do presents whilst in dressing gowns and slippers or more a festive buzz down in a bar/restaurant area of a hotel.

Ultimately, go with what your priorities are.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@snowymum, yes am actually thinking that week or the next one. Can do either
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Priority seems to be budget, really, which as makes @snowymum's suggestion of the previous week a very good one. As is the recommendation to drive. For four people, that's definitely going to be the cheapest way. One of the all-in Sunweb type places might be worth a look. Some good looking Black Friday deals here
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Including Flaine, which would be a good destination
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just so you know, Monterosa is opening on the 2nd … we’re going to pop over sat the weekend …
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you all, will keep looking. Trying to get a family ski holiday for £4000 all in
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could definitely do that if you drive and use a Sunweb "lift pass included" deal. You know, I was just thinking..... the reason so many of us are keen to jump in with our two-pennorth of gratuitous advice is because we all secretly wish we were fixing up a last minute Christmas trip......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-holidays/bookaccommodation?productCode=023547&tab=overview&noOfAdults=2&noOfChildren=2&childrenAge=12,12&duration=7&flexibleDays=1&airports%5B%5D=MAN&flexibility=true&noOfSeniors=0&when=20-12-2022&pkg=1189218800/3/353/7&tra_o=1232296247/3885899&tra_i=1232296326/3885900&units%5B%5D=023547:SELF_CATERED&packageId=023547ITPI004616714944000001671494400000TOM222616720992000001672099200000TOM22271BA021189218800/3/353/7&index=20&multiSelect=true&brandType=C&bb=SC&room=&isVilla=false&searchType=SKI&finPos=20&price=pp&durationCode=7115

This looks a bargain
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dode, thanks sounds like a great option. Any experience with this resort and accommodation?
snow report
@pam w, what is stopping you? wink
snow conditions
Have stayed in the apartments a few times. The smaller ones for 2ppl are right by the uplift.
We’ve only stayed in the larger apartments once, at new year, and we were right above the pub which was noisy and kept us awake. Make sure to request as far from the pub as possible.
I really like La Thuile, been there quite a few times. Pistes tend to be quiet and it is linked to La Rosiere in France (150km piste in total iirc)
Cooking facilities are pretty poor, but lots of nice restaurants in town and the butcher will provide hot cooked meals if pre-ordered.
ski holidays
If you are self catering and comfortable with DIY doing so would probably be less stressful than hanging out for a TO deal.

Also if you can do the 17th week it would definitely be cheaper/quieter. And possibility of a conditions blowout fairly small. One year I had booked into Le Sept Laux and had to switch last minute to Tignes but in many years of skiing at Christmas (or the week before) that was the only shocker.
ski holidays
Quote:

@pam w, what is stopping you?

A big family trip in first week of April, @Bella2015. Can't afford two!
ski holidays
@Bella2015, tbh, your original plan still seems totally valid to me. Flights are reasonable - however and here's why booking late for high season not a great plan, accommodation in e.g. Champoluc is in short supply and thus expensive.

Airbnb?

@Judwin,
Quote:

I wouldn't book for anywhere in the Monte Rosa area before/for Xmas

Well ... Mrs U's paternal family are from Champoluc and we've often been there at xmas/NY (every year for her nibs in her youth). The area typically opens first weekend of December and while natural snow isn't guaranteed (obviously) it's pretty well cannoned up. I don't personally recall being unable to ski although it has happened (the group headed down south to the beach).

Being unable to get from Champoluc to Gressoney would quite possibly have been before they cannoned up the Col and due to high winds scouring the tops, not an actual lack of snow-fall.

Anyway, to cut myself short, if you don't care where you go, leave it as late as you like, but book flights now. If you do care, you kind of have to take the risk.
latest report
Thank you all. Booked a package Champoluc. It was a good deal so hopefully will be ok
latest report
@pam w, hope you have an amazing holiday in April. We also can only afford one
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy