Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 22/23 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
@clarky999, I thought you’d been a bit quiet wink congrats!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
clarky999 wrote:
neilkav wrote:
@clarky999,
How are things holding up Clarky?
Pistes still ok I imagine but no off piste?
Seeing various forecasts showing some snow for the weeekend, do the local folks agree?

Thanks in advance Neil.

Hey Neil, the mountain biking trails are in great condition haha, but sadly looks like the pistes less so. I’ve been too busy cuddling my new born son to go and check though!

My last ski day was the 25th in Seefeld and the pistes were soft but in pretty good condition overall then, but as Scarlet said it’s been VERY warm the past couple of days. I do disagree about the snow line being at 2000m currently though - on south-facing slopes like Nordkette yes, but it’s a lot lower than that on other aspects (freezing level probably over 3000m though!).

Schlick is probably in better condition than most due to being a big sheltered bowl though - less direct sun and protected from the Föhn. And obviously you have the glacier nearby from there too.

As well as the glaciers the bigger resorts who were able to invest more in snowmaking are probably also still skiing well (for those who like spring snow anyway).

On the rocks wrote:
I see that Ischgl have closed all the lifts on the Palinkopf from today, I guess because the pistes off it are suffering?

Could also be due to strong Föhn winds, but not sure.

Thanks for the update and congrats on the new arrival!!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@clarky999, how's baby sleeping? I'm pretty sure I'm still suffering from sleep deprivation 6 years after my last one was born. Everyone told me "hang in in there it will get better"
All the best and enjoy your time with him it flies by.
Skiing wise its alright here in Kirchberg and surrounding areas. Lower down at the end of the day on the south sides is carnage but north facing are firm and grippy everywhere else is spring skiing. Zero off piste but we really are having a great time skiing.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@clarky999, congrats.

You got a baby seat for the back of your MTB yet? wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
@neilkav A woman died yesterday at Hintertux after falling on a red run, sliding through a barrier and hitting a tree. Her friend also fell in the same area (separately, this was not a collision incident) and hit rocks, and was taken to hospital, and something similar happened to another skier later in the day. https://www.tt.com/artikel/30841894/dramatischer-skitag-in-hintertux-28-jaehrige-frau-tot-drei-schwerverletzte

If it is possible to download on a bubble from the higher slopes, now is the time to use it.

This incident troubled me. Its so sad to hear of someone this young dying, all the more so on the piste and not in a collision. In my mind she was probably a very good skier going very fast? I have a sense that a lot of better skiers would gravitate towards Hintertux when conditions are poor elsewhere?

I know I'm a long way from making an informed judgment but surely ice like this on a lip that people might approach at speed should have been fenced off in these circumstances?

Apologies if I'm engaging in pointless conjecture, I assume a lot of people including the pisteurs are very upset
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We are staying in Innsbruck on Saturday 21st for a night before flying home on the Sunday morning. Is the city fairly small in that it doesn't matter the location of the hotel we pick as long as it's fairly central? We'll want to have a wander around, and grab a meal somewhere.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, if you are flying out of Innsbruck, then somewhere near the Hauptbahnhof or near one of the stops for the airport bus will save you some faff, unless you want to get a taxi, in which case it doesn't matter. It is pretty small, though I would probably look for somewhere near the Altstadt as that's the nicest area in the centre. Hotel Innsbruck is quite nice, by the river and Marktplatz.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, thank you. Found a nice looking hotel at a decent price, Hotel Schwarzer Adler. Seems to be a 5 minute walk from Alstadt, and 10 minutes to the Hbf for Sunday morning. So seeing as that seems to roughly tie in with your guide, might well book that, unless you've heard horror stories?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, No, I haven't heard any horror stories about any of the hotels TBH, but then I probably don't move in the right circles for that! I'm sure it will be fine – 50m from the police station so unlikely to attract any trouble, and right next door to my favourite pub wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarlet, perfect, that'll be where we sleep then!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I’ve been too busy cuddling my new born son to go and check though!

Congratulations snowHead
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@clarky999, congratulations dude!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Scarlet, @neilkav, @Mother hucker, @Dave of the Marmottes, @pam w, @leggyblonde, thanks all! He's a little dream so far.

@Mother hucker we only brought him home yesterday so a bit early to say, but so far he sleeps from 4am-9am and 4pm-9pm like a champ, but less so from 11pm-4am Laughing

@swskier, my parents have stayed there a couple of times, also shortly before Christmas. Has always seemed decent! Location is good too and a short walk from the city centre and old town, but yes, in Innsbruck you can walk from pretty much anywhere to anything you'd want to see. As well as the Irish pub next door one of my favourite restaurants is just over the road - Himal (Nepalese food).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clarky999, thank you, and congrats!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@clarky999, Congratulations, we are awaiting the arrival of our Enkelin in April. We will then be able to say we are Oma and Opa so will be proper Austrians Toofy Grin
snow conditions
A hopefully easy one, but I can't quite see the info on their website. Are all hire cars from Innsbruck airport equipped with winter tyres? Is that a legal requirement in Austria? We have a rental car from Sixt we're collecting on Friday.
latest report
@swskier, Yes, it is a legal requirement, so they really should be. I don't know if it will also have chains, but you can check with the desk.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
A hopefully easy one, but I can't quite see the info on their website. Are all hire cars from Innsbruck airport equipped with winter tyres? Is that a legal requirement in Austria? We have a rental car from Sixt we're collecting on Friday.

I'm doing the same. For me it's booking one with Winter Tyres explicitly advertised.... and included in the price
snow report
@Scarlet, thank you
snow report
Have the smaller areas around Innsbruck had much snow over the last couple of days?

Webcams suggest there has been some. I'm just trying to work out whether there has been enough to justify a 3 day trip starting this Sunday.

I like to cruise on pistes, so don't need thigh deep powder.

@Scarlet, and @clarky999, I'm looking at you! Congrats on your new born by the way.
snow report
@mikeycharlton, It hasn't snowed a lot around Innsbruck itself so far. Thin snow is now down to about 900m – I've not been out in it myself, but the Avalanche Forecast says 5-20cm, and they know what they're talking about.

A lot more snow has fallen to the west (up to 50cm so far), so that's where I would go – stay in Kappl or See and ski the Paznauntal, or head to the Arlberg.
latest report
@Scarlet, thanks, I'm trying to keep costs down.

I have found a couple of good deals; Gotzens (including Axamer Lizum lift pass and half board / £330 for 4 nights), and Igls £270 (much smaller area, 4 nights half board + lift pass). Both are based on single occupancy.

I'm veering towards Gotzens based on what the lift pass covers, and also because of the altitude that Axamer Lizum offers. Granted it's not as far West as you've suggested but I'm trying to convince myself that it's a good compromise.
latest report
@mikeycharlton,
Kaprun had 70cm a couple of days ago and the Zillertal area had approx. 40cm in the last 24 hours.

@clarky999,
Congrats. Your equipment purchases may now change. Instead of freeride & touring skis, mountainbikes etc it's time for prams, baby carriers, baby phones, nappies etc. Enjoy it they grow up fast, won't be long before he's on skis. Very Happy
snow report
Hi all
I’m heading to St Johann in Tirol in 3 weeks time and want to visit Steinplatte a couple of times as it has some lovely wide runs my beginner husband can practice on. Their website says the runs on the German side are closed from 24/12 due to lack of snow. Does anyone know if this is a permanent season decision or might it open in the next couple of weeks if there’s enough snow? My 10 year old loves the novelty of saying we’ve skied over a border!
Thanks
latest report
For the first excursion since the last time it snowed, in December, we looked for somewhere in the sun above the fog, and ended up in Kühtai. Having not been out recently, I didn't really know what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised. It was not windy either when we arrived, though it did pick up later.

After the recent fresh snow, the pistes are pretty good condition. There had been around 10cm of snow overnight, which freshened things up nicely. Off piste there were small stashes here and there out of the wind, but the wind has been brutal, and because the snow cover is so thin, many areas were still too rocky. There were a few tracks between the stones and bushes, but this is a challenge for rock skis only, and not for me.

Sorry, big image, but I need the res here. This was taken from behind the Dreiseenbahn, early afternoon. The two big gullies in the centre are the pistes. These had good snow because of how they are naturally protected from the wind and were not too mogulled, even at the end of the day. You can see how wind affected the left side of the ridges are, and the wind lips on the right. Apart from the large bands of rocks towards the top, it is normally possible to ski pretty much everywhere you can see here, just avoiding the odd tree near the bottom. In the foreground you can also see exposed rocks and holes, that would normally be well buried.

The Arlberg/Lechtal/Paznauntal is doing alright, if also wind affected, but around these parts we still need more snow.
latest report
Also, if you’re driving around near Innsbruck, keep your eyes open for a large bird of prey that’s hanging out along the motorway. I think it’s a buzzard. It may be at windscreen level Shocked Assuming it’s the same one, I’ve seen it a couple of times dodging trucks south of the city, and then today sitting on a speed limit sign at the junction at Kematen!
snow conditions
So quick update after a couple of days in Sclick 2000 with the family and friends. Very little new snow compared to some other Austrian areas but the pistes are absolutely fine and are delight to ski most of the day. Due to very low volume there are pretty much zero moguls forming and all pistes seem in great condition. Off piste not really suitable but no surprise there. Magic hour or two today around 1.30 pm when snow was perfect for blasting down the nice reds in the area. Weather has been mostly cloudy but with some sun, 10-15 cm snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow.
Only smallish area so might head up to Stubai in next few days. Overall nice little area and for our mixed group it’s great.
Could obviously do with more snow so let’s see what tomorrow brings Very Happy
snow conditions
Really nice meal tonight in Da Rocco.

First time in the city, and it's really nice especially with some snow around! Just a short visit before we fly home in the morning. Also very impressed with the Hotel Schwarzer Adler.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been able to get out for a couple of hours sliding a couple of times over the last two weeks, so was curious to see how conditions have been. The verdict: despite a better start than last season, this has been the worst season for snowfall (central Tirol) since I first started doing seasons in 2008. Most of the post-Christmas snow seemed to not make it far past the Arlberg, and for example Nordkette hasn't even been able to open yet. But what does that actually mean for skiers?

For piste skiing actually not a lot at all. The pistes seem to have been pretty ok throughout. I was also at Kühtai for a couple of laps when Scarlet posted that photo above (was good to get a lap with you btw!) and she had it spot on: offpiste only possible in very selective spots and gulleys, but the pistes for the most part ok (some spots icy, other spots nice wind blown snow).

A couple of days later I got a few laps in at Seefeld too, and same thing: pistes were actually really nice!

Offpiste though has been a different matter, with no base to speak of in many places. Really only either high or shaded/sheltered slopes had a skiable base amongst the sharks. Luckily that started changing from Thursday when a decent storm blew in, with 5-10cm down to the city and up to around 50cm in some of the local Innsbruck resorts (some much less though).

Very thankful that my gf and the little guy let me out to play in the powder for a couple of hours each day! "It's good for us to get used to being alone before you go back to work" - really I think she was pretty pleased to get some quiet time though!

Axamer Lizum seemed to me the sweet spot. I got a few laps in on Friday morning with up to around 20cms of fresh snow on top of a mix of rock solid old snow and frozen bushes/grass. Was still pretty nice after the drought though, especially with basically no-one around.

After negotiating the 15 (I counted!) cars blocking the road to put chains on (must have been summer tyres as there was max 5cm on the road!) the following morning on Saturday there'd been another ~20cms, with a lot more people around. Above the treeline was actually really deep in places (up to half a metre), but very little visibility. The extra snow had brought more of the tree runs into condition too:

Really no base to speak of lower down though, but some of the sneakier stashes were still doable (for the first one down at least):

http://youtube.com/v/eC3szkZDSeI

I only had time for a couple of runs but the falling snow was still building up on my car when I got down:

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 23-01-23 17:19; edited 5 times in total
snow report
And then Saturday the skies cleared and it went blue snowHead

I didn't get to the hill until about 10am 'cos the little guy was too happy sleeping on my chest Very Happy But once he woke up and decided it was time for a few hours of boob time I was packed off again. The main resort runs were obviously already completely tracked, so I went straight for one of the slightly more obscure valley runs:

http://youtube.com/v/zrokYKW94lI

Or in vertical if you're on a phone:

http://youtube.com/v/QYkKKbdXHlg

The clearing skies overnight had allowed the snow to dry out a bit and it was REALLY nice to ski. I reckon storm totals were around the 50cm mark, but on top of an early December style base. See all the bumps? Super fun to ski but normally that would be filled in by now:

Looking back up from where my weak legs (the base isn't the only thing that still feels like early season!) needed a break haha:

My second and last run I skied straight off the back of Hoadl into Kemater Alm. Slightly more exposed terrain where you want to pick your line carefully (and a choke at the bottom you want to get through quickly) but again great cold and stable snow. Looking up and to the side to the Kalkkögel though you can see lots of bushes still showing through in the run outs:

Looks like more snow is due at the weekend and the start of next week, so lets hope the season is now getting back on track!
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
For the first excursion since the last time it snowed, in December, we looked for somewhere in the sun above the fog, and ended up in Kühtai...

Thanks for posting: we're headed for Kuhtai in Feb half term, actually way more snow than there was when we went last year (freakishly warm), but I'd noticed there were still rocky patches, even at the top... fingers crossed it all gets filled in =0)
snow conditions
Howdy. Arrive in Kuhtai Saturday 4th (driving from Amsterdam with Dutch friends for my first time in the area). Looks like a good old Nordstau being predicted by lots of outlets end of this week coming (just before we arrive).

Too much out in FI? Or can I start to dream about big fluffy clouds?
latest report
Arriving on 4th for Mayrhoffen with guide. Forecast looks v good!
snow conditions
It does indeed look like the snow is coming, although as always, exact quantity and location in subject to change. Keep an eye on the forecast this week in case there is enough to affect travel. It is still too early to say, but that will become clearer as the week goes on.
snow report
Skied Westendorf on Sunday with my Dad, sister and her boyfriend. Lovely sunny day, not as cold as forecast (around -2°C in the car park). Snow was generally good for pistencruisen, and the sunny slopes like the KiWest run were great. Shadier pistes tended to be scraped to the rock solid boilerplate in the middle, with ~5-10cms of the scraped off snow to the sides (v nice to ski on!). Skied a couple of little powder-on-grass offpiste stashes but there really isn't much of a base anywhere offpiste. The whole mountain and valley are white though so at least everything looks(ed) wintery in the SkiWelt again!

Last night a little dusting fell on the mountains around Innsbruck; only a centimetre or two though. First avalanche bombs of the season at Nordkette this morning (crazy that that took until the end of Jan!), but I think only to make sure everything unstable was cleared out before the coming snow. AT Nordkette still only the park is open for skiing.

Looks like some decent snowfall coming this week, mostly on Thursday and into Friday (maybe Saturday too). Most of the snowfall seems to be concentrated further east, but the Nordstau spots (Arlberg, Nordkette, Seefeld, etc) should pick up some solid snowfall too. Kühtai will get a bit less because it's more inner-alpine and sheltered, but you can probably expect ~30cms there too. Possibility of a little something extra early next week too plus sharply dropping temperatures... Could be fun Smile
snow report
Flying to INN w/c 12/2, first time in Austria for about a decade and bringing my young apprentice who's building confidence off piste.
Anyone care to recommend me a resort or 2? Looking for snow (forecast looking good) and interesting, accessible/safe terrain above all else; not really bothered about mileage or apres... apart from good pizza!
Guess we either;
A. stay in Innsbruck and bus/train out daily (Axamer Lizum looks interesting)
B. head East; Zillertal? Hochfugen?
C. head West to the obvious... although have done St.Anton/Lech a few times in the distant past.
Any chance at all of dodging the half-term hordes???
Appreciate any input - TIA!
Cheers.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 3-02-23 19:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@J2Dave, I'll be in Hochfugen next week. Plenty in the ziller valley to get your young grasshopper testing the ungroomed
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
@J2Dave, I'll be in Hochfugen next week. Plenty in the ziller valley to get your young grasshopper testing the ungroomed

Sorry, my post was wrong - it's a week on Sunday. Have you been there (Hochfugen) before?
snow conditions
@J2Dave, Im there next Friday. yes been before, also worth skiing zell as there's plenty of safe freeriding there
ski holidays
@J2Dave, I would head to the Zillertal, whilst I pretty much always go to the Arlberg these days accommodation is hard to find at the moment so maybe better to head elsewhere. From what I remember Hochfügen is a cluster of hotels around some lifts so might be a bit quiet. Not much in Kaltenbach at all so probably best look at Zell or Mayrhofen.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy