Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Innsbruck & Tirol 22/23 Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Mother hucker wrote:
@VolklAttivaS5, was the hochsaukaser lift open?

Yes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Scarlet, best day of the season so far for me anyway and that’s including 2 weeks in Canada!
Lovely easy to ski light powder and still a fair bit left untracked due to the poor vis for most of the day, you had to pick your pitches carefully. Interestingly it was colder today than it was in Banff the whole time I was there last month!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VolklAttivaS5, the vis was not too bad over this way. We skipped the skiroute for the first run due to not being able to see the top and therefore the entrance, but it was clearer by the second run. We abandoned an attempt after lunch over on the other side of the mountain after the light was too flat and the wind too hard to see anything at all, and I was wary of the drifts, but I think it would have already been tracked anyway – you don’t get long at Lizum! Yes, very cold, not too many photos due to fingers freezing up and had to do a lunch time buff swap after it got damp and froze solid (this has happened before, so I carry a spare!).
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, yes very cold or it certainly felt it! I had my ‘Canada’ mittens on and could still feel it biting on my thumbs. Glad I brought my Hot Rox with me in case today is the same!

Me too-spare winter Buff always. I think I will wear a thin hat under my helmet today as yesterday’s summer Buff on head wasn’t quite enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
Gotta love a surprise powder day, and I definitely loved that one!

The forecast was for another 10-15cm, in roughly the same locations as yesterday. It was totally clagged in first thing this morning, so after a fairly leisurely breakfast, we decided to head to Axamer Lizum for a couple of hours and some lunch. When we arrived, the carpark was about half full, but was still actively being cleared by a guy in a digger who looked to be enjoying his job this morning, but possibly wishing he'd started a couple of hours earlier!

We spent the first run going “WTF? This is ridiculous!” as we headed down a red run where apparently you could only see my head and arms! It was super light powder all the way from top to bottom, and with the new 6 minute gondola, lap times were really quick. Quite a few of the official ski routes were open, and with the combined weekend snow, the rocks were covered a lot better than previous visits, which opened up a lot of off-piste terrain.

This is me, and a train from 1976:

There was a (very) short discussion this morning about whether race skis might be the best choice after getting beaten up by the snowboard yesterday. Thankfully, some sense prevailed:

And he was happy with his decision:

We also went in some trees. It was deep there too:

My only regret (apart from the casual breakfast) was that my skis could have been fatter, but that is after a series of regrets about my skis needing to be thinner Confused All I can say is that it's been a while since I've seen this much snow. “So Geil!” as the locals would say Toofy Grin

Green with envy! Can’t beat a surprise pow day snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BobinCH, it was deeper than I thought it would be.

Lightly snowing since this morning, looks like there’s been a little bit more overnight but not much. Cloudy day.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scarlet, yeeew good stuff! We were visiting gf's parents in Oberösterreich this weekend and didn't bother taking skis based on the forecast - bad decision as it was dumping in OÖ too! ~15cms to the valley and I'd imagine 40+ on the hill.

11/12th March still looking pretty good for Tirol too Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@clarky999, There was about 5mm in the valley, so it didn't really allude to what was up the mountain at all! I was expecting boot dust on hardpack, but it was too deep to hit the base! Did you see the post from Pleisen on Friday, showing them shovelling 60-odd 2-man chairs of snow up to the top of the mountain? I bet they wished they hadn't bothered Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Still plenty of fresh tracks to be had today too
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
@clarky999, There was about 5mm in the valley, so it didn't really allude to what was up the mountain at all! I was expecting boot dust on hardpack, but it was too deep to hit the base! Did you see the post from Pleisen on Friday, showing them shovelling 60-odd 2-man chairs of snow up to the top of the mountain? I bet they wished they hadn't bothered Laughing

My deepest day ever in Verbier there was 20cm when we started in Siviez but more like 80cm on a sheltered face under Attelas. Sometimes the local variations just a few hundred metres apart can be massive!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Zillertal - what a change in conditions over 4 days! Arrived Weds, on the mountain at 2 pm and it was 13 degrees C at 2095m - slush everywhere. North facing slopes holding up just about but south facing was terrible. Temps dropped a bit on Thursday and a beautiful clear day at Hintertux followed on Friday. Then almost zero visibility and snow snow snow on Saturday, followed by minus 14 on Sunday at Rastkogel and more snow!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Snowed more or less all day today in Kitzbuhel getting heavier as the afternoon went on.
Another cold day, quite a lot tracked out but still fresh snow could be found easily enough without looking too hard.
The pistes are very busy it must be Dutch week this week as there are NL number plates everywhere
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snowed all day in Kitzbuhel?

Forecast and weather app was 1cm and cloudy all day!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
up4it wrote:
Snowed all day in Kitzbuhel?

Forecast and weather app was 1cm and cloudy all day!

I know! Cloudy in the morning with the odd snowflake then it soon started coming down lightly, quite hard a bit later on. Virtually no wind but was cold again. Snowing in Kirchberg village about 4.20pm when I walked down to the Spar I had to put my hood up to stop the snow getting in my eyes!
Not settling in the village though.
The forecast has been a bit underestimated last couple of days.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
The pistes are very busy it must be Dutch week this week as there are NL number plates everywhere

I was over in SkiWelt last week, it was Dutch Week (and so many plates) there too. I think the (Dutch) instructor said there are two Dutch weeks, for two parts of NL. So you have the second.

Total 180 on the snow conditions though, you certainly picked the correct week!
snow conditions
@Orange200, yes I can tell what the pistes were like before as I can hear it underneath the new snow Toofy Grin
Off piste is quite well covered as they did get a few big dumps of snow before and of course the mountains here are quite grassy/shrubby so that makes it need less snow to make it nice.
ski holidays
Lovely day today, sunny and quite cold but not as cold as Sun and Mon were. Just right! Still plenty of untracked snow off piste to be had without putting much effort in, some of it is very tracked out in the obvious places (for example underneath the Hochsaukaser chair).
As usual you had to choose your pitch wisely as some of it was sun affected but there’s some great stuff still going.
There’s more snow to come around 6th March ish by all accounts which will be a nice top up.
The Streif was in surprisingly good Nick even at 3.30pm. Plenty of snow cover right down to the end of the run by the road.
ski holidays
I’m staying in Kirchberg for the first time this holiday and I noticed there’s a ski route that finishes in the middle of town.
Does anyone know the last time you could actually ski back to Kirchberg along that ski route? The snow line is way too high at the moment.
snow report
@VolklAttivaS5, a few years ago I stayed at the Hotel Sonne for a couple of nights, it was January and no issue to ski across the fields to the road outside.
latest report
@munich_irish, ok thanks, I was thinking it must be doable in Jan when there is snow in the town even if the ski route isn’t officially open due to marginal conditions. There was snow in the town early this week but it would have been too thin.
ski holidays
We've done the route past the Maierlbahn in Jan 2017, think the other route was also open at the time. Although this was after a dump. Would also help if you know where you're going as markers are a bit sparse.
latest report
@HutToHut, thanks
I suspect it would have been open in Jan 2019 too as I was in St Johann then and there was a lot of snow at resort level, just piles of it everywhere.
snow report
[quote="VolklAttivaS5"]I’m staying in Kirchberg for the first time this holiday and I noticed there’s a ski route that finishes in the middle of town.
Does anyone know the last time you could actually ski back to Kirchberg along that ski route? The snow line is way too high at the moment.[/quote

I skied on it week before last
snow report
@jafa, was it actually open or just skiable?
snow report
Have gone over to Westendorf today as the visibility looked a bit better than on the Kitzbuhel webcams and I’d not been over here this season yet.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
@jafa, was it actually open or just skiable?

As I live here I know of it’s existence

The signs haven’t altered all season

So I just used it from the bridge by the Gaisberg and skiied along by the river until I got off by the hill going up to the Brauwirt

It’s definetly green now hopefully more snow arriving over next weekend down to village level

A friend was saying the other day we have had only 25% of normal snow levels so far

But ironically with the overnight temps remaining low the skiing so far has been excellent though looking at green valleys isn’t the best
snow conditions
@jafa, yes I was thinking this morning that the piste conditions for skiing in Westendorf/Ski Welt are better than this time last year when I was here but yes there is more green showing for sure. Even 1b down to Brixen is in good condition though like you say the cover is overall thinner but the cold temperatures have kept the pistes nice.

Oh-so the ‘no winter service’ sign has been on there all season? That’s what made me think it hadn’t been open in ages.
latest report
I’m going home on Sat but off elsewhere on 25th Mar, hopefully that freezing level on Fri night/Sat morning will drop because of that rain forecast
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ll walk down and have a look but I thought it meant no walking on the path in winter as it’s used for skiers
There is another sign with a skier on it
snow report
Skied Westendorf and Brixen this morning and the pistes are all in good Nick, it was quite chilly today between about -4 and +3. There is a lot of green showing but hopefully another snowfall this weekend/next week should solve that. It goes to show that even though the snow pack is a lot shallower than usual the hills around here don’t need much on them to make them actually quite good.
After lunch I skied back to Ki West and rather conveniently there was a bus about to leave so on I hopped and got off at Pengelstein I. Good pistes in Kitzbuhel and the vis had improved from what I could see on the webcams this morning. Looks like they’ve had a tiny bit of fresh last night because I could see some fresh tracks on the way down to Brunn.
latest report
Nice sunny day today, quite chilly and piste conditions are pretty good. It is much less busy now the Dutch have finished their holidays.
Weather is meant to change from tomorrow onwards but hopefully the freezing level will drop low enough so it’s not raining.
snow conditions
how much snow has fell west of Innsbruck? I don't trust bergfex or wepowder.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
how much snow has fell west of Innsbruck? I don't trust bergfex or wepowder.
Bergfex is really good at grouping all the local webcams, so if you scroll down (or use the app) you can see for yourself Very Happy
latest report
@Mother hucker, the most reliable info is from the avalanche service, there is a link on the St Anton site. https://lawinen.report/weather/measurements. Currently best to stay in bed, thoroughly miserable in St Anton, maybe better in an hour or so
snow report
Hi again everyone.
Our 2 day visit to Seefeld is less than a week away (Friday).
The forecast looks like a mixed bag, with rain early this week but hopefully a decent dump on Wednesday before some sun and v warm temperatures when we are out there. Anyone skied Seefeld recently for a slope report?

Also I am still waiting on the teachers strike update as there’s still a chance of leaving Wednesday, for an extra 1.5 days skiing. However, I’m worried that Seefeld won’t have enough to ski for the extra time. I’m looking at 2 nights in Oetz first but there’s a bit of transfer faff (we won’t have a car). Any recommendations of local cheap taxi companies?

Another alternative is Garmisch Partinkirchen but again, the train/ coach times don’t synchronise well with our flights. Is it worth going there for a day trip from Seefeld? The train looks simple but it’s still a bit of faff to take/ re-hire skis etc.

Any thoughts or advice. I really trust you guys!
Thanks
snow report
Didn't ski yesterday due to the wind. I hate skiing in high winds, and even the valley bike ride we did instead was hard work. It seemed to have dropped a bit today though and there was an unexpected dusting of snow at 600m this morning, but it was still difficult to pick where to go. Given the forecast over the weekend, St Anton had been on the list, but the white-out webcams and confirmation of similar from @munich_irish above ruled out the long drive. We don't know the Arlberg that well, so skiing it in zero vis and wind is a miserable day that we experienced last season with no plans to repeat.

Since we knew it had also snowed locally, we took a leisurely trip back to Axamer Lizum. What we found there was chalky snow for the top 200m or so, followed by 5-10cm of clag on a thin or possibly non-existant base, depending on where you were. The weather was warm but variable – windy at the top, cloud cover and falling snow rapidly moving around to reveal the occasional burst of sunshine. We skied similar lines to last time, though we kept out of the trees because it didn't look deep enough. It was crusty, mushy, clumpy, heavy crud – hard work and very grabby but manageable on a snowboard or wide-ish skis.

Here's that famous train again:

and some mushy turns:

The pistes are still fine, though a little thin in places. We called it a day after doing almost a full run in a complete white-out. It's also good to remember that leg-breaking snow breaks legs. But not today Cool

By the time we got home, all today's snow had gone, right back halfway up the mountain, where it was yesterday morning (there wasn't really any snow in the Innsbruck area until Saturday night).
latest report
@EdYarker, We skied at Seefeld for a couple of hours last weekend. Sadly, it was starting to get very patchy below mid-mountain, and the blue run was in much better condition than the red on the Rosshütte side. Any off-piste had melted away, except maybe under the cable car at the top. There seems to be some more snow on the way Tue/Wed, though you possibly need to be in the Arlberg/Paznauntal or Kaprun to get the full benefit.

I would stay high for your other days – I assume you're heading to Obergurgl/Sölden, so that should work out ok. There is a train station at the end of the valley – is it not possible for you to do bus-train-bus or bus-train-taxi from the airport?
snow conditions
Hi everyone - I have flights booked from 2nd - 8th April into Innsbruck. I am thinking of staying in Obergurgl and doing a day or two in Solden. Would this be my best bet for the best snow conditions at this time? What are conditions like at the moment?
snow conditions
@Scarlet, if you are not keen on skiing in a white out then skipping St Anton today was a good decision, tomorrow should be nice
ski holidays
I have five days in Kitzbühel starting on Wednesday. I'll have a car...if conditions suck should I venture out to, say Saalbach or ? for a day or two? I then go to Dolomiti and then Zillertal, so I already have the "insurance" of Tux built in later in the trip. Thx.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy