Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Hopefully, today is another one of those days when the forecast vs actual fails to deliver as today it's all about rain.

Did wake up to a couple of very wet cms on the terrace but that has nigh-on melted.

So will be soggy up the hill, and above 2,300 could see up to 10cm.

Cloud is so low and dense looking up the valley, can't see Monetier!

Then from tomorrow superb conditions for 90% of people here on their holidays.

I'm hoping for spring ski touring conditions and or might even get the bike out rolling eyes

Off to Turin shortly so will see what Via Lattea is like
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Reading some of the other reports on here from resorts North of the Lautaret we actually faired pretty well.

We didn't have 36hrs of torrential stair rods that have been reported elsewhere and the light drizzle / rain didn't really cause too much damage to the snowpack.

I drove to Turin yesterday and we've more snow than Montgenevre and Via Lattea from the looks of things, so for once, we did alright with that last snowfall.

Roads were busy late afternoon yesterday with many arriving and parking areas filling up.

Going to be "very" busy next week, but we think this year it will only be one really busy week as opposed to the more normal two "fairly" busy weeks due to how the dates work and people going back to work / school Jan 2.

This is the field next to us, and that's South facing so you can see still plenty of snow.

Off out in the lycra this morning on the XC once the mist lifts, very icy out there, so if coming out try and buy some grips if you don't already have some, as its going to be freeze/thaw all next week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Weathercam, everyone arriving from 26th onwards.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Hells Bells, as I said, you should have seen the roads yesterday, and the parking areas filling up, those that can travel took advantage of that

Many people using the big Tour Ops still have to adhere to Sat to Sat or Sun to Sun, a case in point being ODalys in front of us.

I'll be playing my usual Russian Roulette with the pedestrian crossing later when they'll all be flooding down the valley Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We have lots of snow, the only issue is that it's boilerplate in a lot of places that have not seen the sun, and as the days are short and the sun is low, many pistes stay rock-hard!

Xmas eve I agreed to ski-tour up the hill with a mate, (and his dog) who will not buy a lift pass to have a drink in the Bivouac.

We took the official resort ski-rando trail from just above the Casse du Boeuf chair, which was marked as closed and we found out why later on Laughing

It winds its way up through the forest in between the Aravet gondola and the CDB and Marteau pistes, you arrive at Aravet and then it's a tough climb up to the Bivouac/top of CDB chair. The issue was that the rain/drizzle earlier in the week had made the trail very icy and it required a great deal of technique to stay upright, think I fell twice rolling eyes

The Biv was very quiet and I was speaking to a friend who works in the kitchen there and she was saying how quiet it had been all week when they would have expected it to be far busier.

Once back down had a drink in the Chazelete and the place was rammed, so maybe people are here, but they're not skiing due to the conditions or price of the lift pass, or both, or just waiting until today and then ski the rest of the week?

I'm going up shortly to investigate some S-facing slack country so will see if the hordes are present, if they are that's when Joy* gates come into their own.

*priority lift line
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Weathercam, you're such an optimist, have a good one.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well pleasantly surprised, empty gondola up from Pointless circa 11:00, skied down to Frejus and another empty gondola, then Crêt drag, again no one, then down to Col de Mea drag and only a few around.

Skied over the Col to suss snow-pack out, and it was looking lush, but looks can be deceiving and there was breakable crust, not conducive to skiing on, especially on your own heading away out of resort.

So skins on and a quick climb up, then a traversé across to the piste basher track, then skins back on to climb up to the Crêt de Balme ridge, snow pack was better and I made the decision to ski down the old SE facing piste but was very sketchy. Couple of boarders appeared having hiked up the other side from Vallons and they ripped through the snow where I on skis was having to be way more careful, though not too sure if being a tad shabby was to blame Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/eJsn2bpw6xY

Afterwards again very quiet on the piste back down to Pointless, but it was lunch o'clock by then.

Best tactic now, on fat touring-skis at least, is to ski the edge of the piste in a mixture of artificial/old snow that is brushed to the sides in quite fun amounts.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well the High Season bouchon was in evidence late yesterday from around 16:30 for nigh on a couple of hours.
Nose to tail cars along the valley road.

Opted for XC this morning and Pointless car park was surprisingly busy at 10:00 but no obvious queues for the lift.

XC piste was pristine and not too busy, but Monetier to Le Casset seemed busier than COVID when that's all people could do, another effect of the lift pass pricing?

Coming back through Monetier at Noon or thereabouts it was rammed with the ski schools finishing and starting.

And many more out on skis and XC.

Some very fast XC skaters putting me to the sword but not too many of my vintage Laughing

The biathlon stadium was in full-on mode (see vid below) with many teams training, though I don't think it was an event.

Arrived back at Pointless and never seen car park so rammed, with Frenchies driving around trying to find a place to leave the car to cause maximum annoyance to those who initially carefully parked, which is a skill only the French possess Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Cu6gx-H5S4I
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hells Bells wrote:
@Weathercam, everyone arriving from 26th onwards......

Well I've done circa 10 Xmas / New Year's here and this has to be the craziest / busiest I've ever seen it, so @Hells Bells was right.

It would seem that the lack of snow elsewhere, good article here on that, has manifested itself in what we're now seeing.

I've not been up the hill for a couple of days, as I heard enough reports to put me off, the icing (sic) on the cake as it were was the 100kg (maybe more) of a mate who was taken out on a green whilst standing still at the Prorel junction, mind you the woman that knocked him over didn't get up for quite a while evidently Laughing

Yesterday I had arranged to go ski-touring with @KenX and a friend but I had expressed my concerns at how busy it might be, needless to say, I didn't even bother to get out of my car (some would say throwing my rattle out to Laughing ) turning around eventually when I could, due to all the feckin cars parked up (again everyone coming here to ski-tour because of the snow), and headed back to Monetier where I toured up the South side from Chapel St Anne towards the Crete, but alas the snow was still pretty hard in places not quite transforming enough though I did manage a few nice turns.

I've not been up in that sector for a while, and if you're prepared to walk the first part as there is often no snow, the terrain from around 2,200 is immense, and not too many go up there, but I did again see more people than usual.

So it was back to the XC and earlier than a few days ago, and conditions were about as good as you can get.

Might be in for a 5cm dusting tomorrow, but I'm back to Turin to collect OH and daughters, then try and talk them out of going up the hill until Monday, at least that way will save me circa €200 Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, indeed can see snow on the trees around the top of Pointless, from where I sit typing, at 1,800m, probably circa 5cm at best.

Quite lethal out there with the overnight rain now frozen, very innocuous catching you off guard where you least expect it!

Meant to be a bit of a dribble all day, off to Turin to collect OH & daughters later.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Progress report on canine recovery?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Rogerdodger wrote:
Progress report on canine recovery?

Think we're all finding it a bit tough.

I took him back to the vet a few days ago as I was getting concerned that he was not putting as much weight on it as before, so paranoid that the Achilles repair had gone wrong, or that it was infected etc etc

The vet said that the repair was good and that the issue was scar tissue and swelling, so he's on strong anti-inflammatories, along with another new Robert Jones splint dressing.

As for the weather and snow here, there was a fair amount of rain when I was driving back from Turin with a wet soggy Montegenevre and an even wetter Serre Chevalier.

We dressed up in full hard shell bibs and pants to go out last night to the bar, and walking along the road I stopped as I thought a car was going to drench us by driving through a big puddle, how sort of ironic would that have been in a ski resort end of December?

Did think it might be worth going up the hill first thing but then I saw that there was not any fresh snow on the trees, and I heard later that there was around 10cm of fresh wet snow, enough for a mate to enjoy some classic White Doctor 104 wide TwinTips I've leant him snowHead

And it's busy still, hopefully, the last day of the hordes tomorrow, but then the outlook is looking very dry, though I've just checked MetoCiel and they have a load of snow for the 9th Jan, so that could well be a glitch, but also just checked YR and they are showing the same!?

Additional Edit: and snow-forecast also showing what looks like a classic Retour d'Est

But as ever, way too far off to be getting excited, plus I've also seen strong winds accompanying it all.

Off out being silly later, quick pit-stop in the PSC on the bridge here in La Salle before eating at the Equilibre - enjoy whatever you all end up doing!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Weathercam, thanks for all your updates on here.

Serre Chevalier is on my "must visit one day" list and the ski area looks great, however hopefully you could answer a couple of questions:

1. Snow permitting, do all parts of the ski area remain fully open throughout low mid season (January / March) or do they close quieter sectors / lifts?

2. Has the daily / weekly ski pass always been so expensive or is that new this season? For example, €55 euros for a day is pretty steep compared to other similarly sized French ski areas, especially in the southern French Alps. The price per day doesn't really decrease for multi-day passes either, and there don't appear to be any discounts / promos available apart from pre-Christmas and April.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@denfinella, the price of the ski pass this year is a real bone of contention. It is one of the most expensive passes, but you can use a Ski a la carte pass to get a discount although that in itself has a cost to subscribe (29€ I think). Discount varies from week to week, but there are some good ones in early January and at weekends.
In normal seasons, all of the lifts run in January but who knows what will happen this year if there are power shortages or poor snow. High winds sometimes shut some of the higher more exposed ones.
Keep an eye on the interactive piste maps in the next couple of weeks on the SC websiteay pass is 59€ and a 6 day pass is 315€. If you are in a group of 4 or more, there are other discounts, but I suspect like us, you ski as a couple.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 31-12-22 18:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hells Bells, thanks. Yes, it would be as a couple. Unlikely to be visiting this season unless the snow in the Portes du Soleil is still dire in a couple of weeks wink

I'll need to have a look at the ski a la carte and work out the break even point.
ski holidays
@denfinella, there are usually offers on that to be had if you subscribe early or get another pass user to give you a loyalty code. And depending on who you book accommodation with, they may have access to cheaper rates in low season. I've had a couple of people deciding not to stay because of the overall cost. I've tried to keep my prices steady, but I have bills increasing too.
ski holidays
@Hells Bells, thanks. Yeah, I don't think anyone can blame you for needing to respond to increased costs.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@denfinella, the price of the ski pass this year is a real bone of contention. It is one of the most expensive passes, but you can use a Ski a la carte pass to get a discount although that in itself has a cost to subscribe (29€ I think). Discount varies from week to week, but there are some good ones in early January and at weekends.

Thanks for sharing this, hadn't seen the Ski a la carte. I'll be there with family February to March but also working so couldn't justify a season pass. How does it work to add others to the pass? Do you just hand over your ski pass after the gate to the lift? Puzzled

Planning on doing quite a bit of touring too. Any idea what touring conditions are like from Briançon/Prorel?
ski holidays
@shredder, you each need your own pass, it works automatically on the lift gate and you are billed at the end of the month.
snow report
@shredder, the only downside is that there are no half day rates on there or reduced rates for kids. You could of course just leave the pass at home and buy a half day one instead.
ski holidays
Yes, lift passes are a sore subject here Twisted Evil

I was speaking to the new manager of the Frejus Hotel a while back, he's done some twenty seasons all over the Alps and this is his first time here and he was amazed that he couldn't get discount passes for his staff.

The Holi-ski/Ski a la Carte is a good option and I went up the hill today with one daughter who has the Joy add-on, and ironically it wasn't too busy though we did use the Joy gates a good few times.

So after today hopefully it will be a lot quieter, though have seen a lot of Slovinian / Hungarian plates and heard a lot of Eastern Europeans up the hill along with a lot of loud Italians, who always seem to enjoy life, and a lot of Brits too.

Considering we didn't go up till around Noon snow conditions were on the whole good, but there were a few bare patches on the Rocher Blanc Prorel South facing side, to be expected with the recent temps.

We were also nagging about how the price of a pint in certain establishments has gone up 2-3€ to around €9 a pint.

What with the lift pass and those prices its getting close to Courchevel rolling eyes

Better off buying a bottle of wine, though in one of our local bars we still get looked after Very Happy

Fingers crossed, in that the forecast I mentioned above is still looking positive, but that's a long way off.

As for the coming week, weather looks varied.
ski holidays
@Weathercam, beer prices have always been reasonable in SC. 9€ is getting ridiculous.
snow conditions
Bad news, I'm afraid, all that snow for the 9th onwards has disappeared on three out of the four forecasts Crying or Very sad
latest report
Thanks for the info on the ski passes folks. It'll be our first time in the French Alps, we usually go to Austria every year.

Good to see temps dropping back, hopefully it won't be long before there's precipitation back in the area snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
@shredder, and the forecasts have changed yet again this morning with yr.no being the most optimistic.

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier

PistePro being middle of the road along with MeteoCiel which has worryingly higher temps

Still, a week away, which is a long time in forecasting.
latest report
When the models are so changeable, and so varied, all you know is that it might not be crap. Which is an improvement on what we were getting those days before Christmas.
snow report
@pam w, in fact we know it probably won't be crap in Serre Chevalier - because it's already quite good Very Happy
ski holidays
Meteociel now giving 75cm snow next week with falling temps.........
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tad grim today, but light rain due to clear, in fact can see glimpses of blue sky now at times above the Gauthier chair.

After two days of piste skiing back on the XC soon just as it clears some more.

Lots of people with flu and worse now in the valley, OH semi laid up having brought a souvenir back from the UK or simply travelling on the plane. Some Swedes I know in the same boat, which is a bit of a let-off as I was due to XC with them today Laughing

Varied weather the rest of the week, still plenty of snow around and pistes in good condition, though off-piste still challenging.

Took my daughter to see the terrain off the back of the Col de Mea yesterday, and then we were joined by two groups of other people wanting to see what we were considering Laughing

Was looking lush over there, but you still wouldn't want to try skiing it.

And then there's the little matter of next week, think Wait & See mode is the best option.
snow report
Last years plan of a month in SC fell through because of covid but I'm heading out this Saturday snowHead .

Appreciate this is not strictly weather but as most SC people seem to be here some suggestions/help would be appreciated!

Does anyone know if there's a facebook group to find touring buddies? Or if anyone wants to tour let me know! Done 20+ days touring, 15 on multi-days, across NA/Norway/Alps. Happy to do a ski on piste to show I know what I'm doing. Got all the gear + basic avy course (albeit a while ago). I'm going to be working US hours whilst I'm out there so am pretty flexible on when I could go

Was also wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a guide for La Grave?
snow report
@Timmaah, well hopefully you'll get to ski some fresh snow, but quantities are diminishing with each forecast run.

There is a FaceBook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/760028714340033 Serre Chevalier Seasonaires where people often post messages like yours.

It's a tough ask though as to be fair, many prefer to tour with their mates, or do not want to be seen as a guide, or give away their secrets; there is this guy who can help you out by showing you some tours he is not a qualified guide but an ESF guide, but top-notch and knows the area better than most guides, Didier 06 219 18 483 though as a non UIAGM guide not too sure he can guide you in La Grave, but worth the question as there are plenty of routes that do involve the glacier.

Like I said, actual levels of snow are changing with each forecast, so we might only end up with 20cm as ever love to be wrong Laughing

British Army now in the Valley and Army Medical Corps this week, and I heard that they were not here this year rolling eyes

Today was superb on the XC though suspect with the Army now it will be a lot busier, and was great as whilst I was out so were the dog sleds.

OH went up the hill doing first lifts with one daughter whilst another daughter did a couple of hours getting her confidence back, and big Ben from Ski Solutions seems to have fulfilled his brief Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/W6qiJ0WoPs4

I started off just touring some of the Classic routes on my own up around the Lautaret as well as hiking prospective routes in the Summer as well as looking at maps and FatMap to work out possible routes
snow report
Another XC session and had a chat with some guys from the 16 Medical Regiment by the range, and if my googling was right they provide dedicated medical support to 16 Air Assault Brigade and will be called upon to support the complete spectrum of air assault operations.

So some tough people!

One guy was desperate to find where he could see a local Dr to get a continuation of a prescription for his chest infection, and a Brit friend went to see my neighbour, Dr Varzinak, who we thought was struck off after dishing out dodgy covid certs, but is still somehow practising from his surgery under the pharmacy at Pra Long, and I asked her how the visit went and she said that whatever he prescribed has worked really well, though the pharmacy thought it was a bit OTT, just sounds like French Doctors of old (he is in his 80's) who used to dish out loads of strong painkillers, whereas now it's just the normal stuff.

Lots of people in the Valley with the flu many blaming the flight over, one friend has it really bad with a temp of 40.1 !

So what's the skiing like?

Everyone is saying how busy it is, not much of a surprise given the good conditions here compared to elsewhere in France, and combine that also with many Italians on holiday this week as well (National Holiday tomorrow) so others are bridging the week totally plus schools in Italy evidently don't go back till next week.

You notice it in the parking areas, always a good barometer. Busy during the day, but where you'd expect them to be just as busy in the evening they're not too bad, last evening I was expecting a hike in Chantemerle and there were a lot of spaces still available so we could park really close to the bar etc

But the snow is holding up really well, and we're trying not to get too excited at the prospect of new snow, but I've already said to one daughter "No transfers on a Powder Day" so she's moving her flight, but she was going to probably do that anyway to stay longer, and then I'm going to Turin, Saturday and not the Friday and certainly not the Sunday!

Forecasts as ever are changing all the time, at one point looked like a further snow-fall back end of next week as well, but that keeps changing along with the temps, and not in the right direction either.

Temps today in the valley were close to double figures.

So I'm going up the hill tomorrow as I need a rest from XC so will report back.
ski holidays
Thanks for the help @Weathercam, and will try to sort something with Didi! Just need to find a hire car.

Flew in today (mountains looking very dry) and managed to get one of the last prorel gondolas up. I think it's safe to say a lot of the resorts have been very generous with their snow depths. I was wondering why you mentioned that touring was a no go in the other thread and it was made clear today Laughing

The valley run down actually wasn't that bad, only one potential rock. Looks like 20-30cm over the next two days which will definitely help but still feels like we probably need another big top up after that before venturing out in the backcountry.
snow report
Snow started around 07:00 and have screen-grabbed an image from our webcam as a sort of reference point.

The top of that galvanised metal on the post is circa 12cm.

I will be disappointed if we don't see more than 20 and surprised if we get more than 35 but noon tomorrow.

The big question will the temps rise enough for it to turn to rain in the valley, currently -1.

Will get up the hill in around an hour to see what's going on and report back.

Roads were very busy to and from Turin yesterday, with Italians going both ways, by the time we drove back through Montgenevre it was rammed with them!

My mate who had a high temp and we all thought was man flu is now stable in hospital with suspected sepsis!!!

Webcam now panning around the garden
latest report
@Weathercam, Sad, oh no, hope he is OK.
Fingers crossed for the snow depths. Starting the packing today, and heading down next weekend.
latest report
Went to Monetier and skied the pistes down through the trees using the drag, 10+cm not too badly skied our, plenty of fresh though you would go down to the hard icy piste below, which unfortunately might have done for my daughter's shoulder, who was doing so well in the fresh and on good skis, Scott Scrappers 105.

Off-piste still a no go I think, and now hardly snowing at all, might be lucky to get 20cm, just hope more comes later today/tomorrow.

Some very dense cloud also to make it quite challenging at times.

Temps here at 1,400m +1.5 and light sleet / frozen drizzle Puzzled
snow conditions
@Weathercam, what happened to the mutt?
snow report
adithorp wrote:
@Weathercam, what happened to the mutt?

Ski touring with a mate & his dog some five weeks ago after 25+ up at the top of Vallons before the resort had opened, and we were traversing under Cucumelle and unfortunately, somehow Ullr got in front of my mate and then into a snowhole gulley and my mate skied into him severing his Achilles. Very serious, we took it in turns to ski down carrying him, with my mate doing most of the carrying.

The vet was on standby as we'd rung up in advance, at first he thought the Achilles was intact, but when we went back after the op (he stitched it back together) he gave us the bad news. He is favouring limping and walking on three legs which is a bit of a concern (build up of scar tissue) but then he starts putting weight on it again, especially if playing tug of war with one of the Jacks, as he has no choice Laughing

Splints stay on for another two weeks, then three weeks lead only exercise.

As for weather even though temps are +1.5 we were getting quite big wet soggy flakes, but they're melting in impact with the wooden terrace.

I'm going to Briancon hospital shortly to give a friend a lift, (though will probably go again tomorrow to take my daughter I fear), so will see what the SL/FL is etc
ski holidays
Ouch! I guess somrthing like that is always the fear when skiing with dogs. Hope he heals up OK.
snow conditions
Thinking of SC from Saturday. How easy is it to get around between villages in the evening if no car? Would like to eat in Briancon one night and go to spa in monetier another eve. Is this doable? Also how easy to get to montgenevre?
Thanks!

Any recommendations for a hotel that does half board in a nice area?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy