Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
@joffy69, another (same?) ancient piste map.......
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Weathercam, fingers crossed, looking good Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I suppose so, though the red is also marked on google maps, so it must have been pretty official (grande alpe 1, running down the torrent de peytavin)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@joffy69, the Grande Alpe bubble lift running alongside was also dismantled several years ago. I think the piste was called Chalets, and it was there on some of my early visits to SC (probably pre-2006). A bit of detective work suggests the Foret chair lift replaced the drags in 2005.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Well all that lovely snow forecast for today and mid-week has gone Evil or Very Mad

So we'll probably end up with another dribble tonight and on into the early hours.

I'm very leant over this morning after the first thrash (birthday) of the season in the Equilibre, I knew I'd end up in a mess when Johan offered me a genepi as soon as I walked in Laughing

So I might well take the e-bike out and see what it's like up the hill, will report back.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Decided on riding the e-mtb up to the Aravet at circa 2,000m and as I suspected quite a bit of traffic had been up there, that said was still a bit technical at times with Ullr on the leash pulling me as he tried to dive off the side after a scent.

I did take him off the leash and then he scarpered off after something and was gone a long time as I heard him barking, and then paranoia set in, as it was a Sunday and there was a good chance of hunters out and about!

So when he finally showed up, just as I started tracking him on the GPS Tractive app, he went back on the leash!

From around 1850m near the hamlet of Goudissard which you ski pass if you make the mistake of taking the long green all the way back down, the snow was a little deeper and up at the Aravet it was not too bad, and parked up was one Polaris 4x4 and a big 4x4 so I suspect hunters!

The last km of the trail passes the garage for the piste bashers on the Marteau and there the piste runs close to the bend and I could see that there the snow canon had been doing their thing with big mounds of snow, and once up at the Aravet more of the same.

They had been bashing the piste and moving snow around a fair bit.

So big question is how much will we see tonight and into the early hours?

If there's 10cm + I could be tempted to go back up there again tomorrow but would need some traffic to bash down the trail before going up on the bike.

Descent was a little tricky and technical in the snow and Ullr, off the leash was ripping it up, with the occasional foray into the forest.

And zoomed in

latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The good news, is that we had 18cm on the terrace last evening Very Happy

Was very heavy as we walked up from friends last evening circa 22:30 but the clearer air has sucked some of that moisture out.

Also with the better speeds of the recently installed broadband here, have been able to increase the resolution of the Cam feed, and I think now you have the ability to view full screen and zoom which you might not have had before?

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Plan is to go for a gentle sortie up from Lautaret as not quite enough here to skin up the piste.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Great News! Thanks for sharing.

You can go to full screen and zoom. Though when I did this it has now (for me at least) gone into 'Offline' mode?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looking good here, think we can finally say we're on for a dump!

15-20 and more to come for today.

And the DumpCam is panning around the terrace, so you can click on Full Screen and have it as your screen saver if you're stuck at work today.

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

I've been out clearing parts of the terrace & garden for the dogs, so it's not looking too picture postcard

There's been a lot of blasting going on this morning in preparation for the opening weekend.

I'm excited at finally the prospect of the XC tracks opening-up rolling eyes

Strong winds and very cold temps, Sunday onwards and then more snow forecast middle of next week.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is great news indeed...

We are going out in a couple of weeks.

Never been at this time of year early in the season. Will it be much colder than mid Feb when we usually go?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well, that escalated quickly! Still the best part of two months until I'm out there, but certainly looking a lot better than it did a week ago.

Out of interest, whereabouts is the 'vue panoramique' shown on the official webcam page located? Presume that's the valley floor somewhere? https://www.serre-chevalier.com/fr/live/webcam-live-serre-chevalier-vallee-briancon
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ChrisP71, brilliant stuff, hadn't seen that before, it's placed up high at the dump (decheterie) just outside Monetier, in front is the range used in biathlon, with the XC piste in the foreground, and one of those huts is a swanky new WC the other is an XC check-point.

And @Lovetoski123, temps can go either way, think I said earlier around Dec 29th last year was raining for a few days, but on the whole, December / January is far colder than February. The snow-fall before this one with the cold temps on N facing slopes, on the trees looked as fresh as the day it fell, which was nigh on 5 days ago, and I think it was like that before that snow-fall ?

That said, the snow was consolidating fast (getting heavy) as the temps rose, and the forecast was/is for some light rain, but hopefully, we'll escape that, as temps are now lower than forecast currently.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We had quite a leisurely start, almost unheard of for a BlueBird powder day, but I had a cunning plan if a particular lift was closed, as that would mean that there would be very few people in a certain sector.

We still can't quite believe how amazing it was, we had 11 descent in conditions like this in the video, whilst from atop the Crete we could see it getting tracked out everywhere else. We even packed skins, if necessary to get to terrain that was inaccessible by lift but there was no need to use them.

http://youtube.com/v/W6-x0gAALPQ

Temps -11 as I type this and I'm all in lycra for my first XC of this season.

Looks like more snow for the coming week but all the various forecasts are in disagreeement, as ever I like what YR are predicting!

https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/2-6559498/France/Provence-Alpes-C%C3%B4te%20d'Azur/Hautes-Alpes/Serre%20Chevalier
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely fantastic @Weathercam, I hope that's the start of a great season and doggo makes a full and fast recovery!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That looks great. Nice to see the snow has arrived. Where abouts was that section of off piste? Was it an avi risk 4 day yesterday - presumably the relatively shallow gradient is the key thing keeping that safe?
latest report
@milzibkit, sorry we've signed an NDC Laughing

And yes, it was Risk 4 yesterday and we stuck to mellow terrain, but you could still hear mini whooomps in the trees.
snow conditions
Looking like another dump in the progress, see it on the DumpCam live now.

Yesterday had a very pleasant piste ski, and slopes were nigh on deserted, though maybe that could have been due to the uber cold temps -16 up at Bachas.

Outlook the looking more settled, but the good news was that yesterday evening the bashers seemed to be working on the pistes here coming back into resort, probably preparing a base for today's snow and the season really kicking off from this weekend.

Edit having written the above it's stopped snowing, and even worse, it never started again Mad
snow conditions
You got a powder alert snowHead
https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/286208
snow report
@BobinCH, fingers-crossed though think we'll be lucky to see 20cm, forecast(s) have it starting from around Noon.

I'll switch the webcam into panning mode when the snow- starts.

The last couple of evenings piste bashers have been active, preparing the pistes into resort here for this weekend, when it all really kicks off.

Hopefully in an hour or so I'll find out the state of the cross-country pistes, just hope yesterday's brief spell of rain has not caused too much damage as I doubt that they would have pisted it again.

For those that know the valley, yesterday we ski toured up above the hamlet of Freyssinet, above Les Guibertes, on the South side, the snow was a bit sparse where the sun had been active along with a bit of a crust, plus the weather started to close in, so not great, but the day was memorable for the group of roe deer we encountered.

I've seen whole families of boar up there in the past, and their trails & tracks from one tree to another, but no signs of them this time around, alas I think the feckin hunters might be to blame!

http://youtube.com/v/F3ip5JUBOUQ
snow report
That piste map on previous page brings back memories - I worked in Monetier season 2003/04 - getting across towards Briancon and back was an absolute mission, and the Pre du Bois drag from just below Frejus to top of Casse du Boeuf was vicious! That map would have been accurate at 2004, and probably a few seasons afterwards.

So much easier now with the new chairs (although a bit less.. rustic...) We're not due out until April but once the snow starts to fall I'm always tempted to jump out for a weekend. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Just back from XC up past Le Casset and it was trying to snow as I started, but the return leg was snowing, and then by Les Guibertes viz was difficult, and steamed up glasses & heavy snow-fall resulted in a nice wipe-out into the soft snow as I was trying to negotiate a bend Laughing

So coming down hard now see it on the DumpCam Very Happy
latest report
Decided against the lycra today as it was forecast to dump, went up around 12:00 once it was in full swing, 25cm and counting, it'll be fantastic up there once there's some viz!!!
snow conditions
Well don't think I've witnessed since I've been here in our apartment (Marc 2013) such a dump!

We're almost running out of room to clear the snow on the terrace and garden to make some room for the dogs and for us to get out.

Not too sure how much will be open today, meeting @KenX, up at Monetier at 09:15 once I dig the van out, but it is in the parking below us which is a lot clearer.

Worry is, the forecast has temps rising to +3 and already the snow is heavy here.

Going to finally be a great base though!
snow conditions
Woot woot snowHead
ski holidays
@Weathercam, what was the forecast?
ski holidays

Our car park this morning
snow conditions
Hells Bells wrote:

Our car park this morning

Certainly looks like a right dump Toofy Grin
snow report
@Red Leon, Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leggyblonde wrote:
@Weathercam, what was the forecast?

WePowder said 40cm. Looks about right
snow report
@BobinCH, @leggyblonde, I'd say about your average snowboarder's crotch judging by how they were attempting to hike Laughing

Fantastic ski, stuff I haven't done for nigh on three years!
latest report
Not too shabby a day, though somehow all the vid of @KenX, went South Sad

http://youtube.com/v/kGJ_zXlMhI0
ski holidays
Always a more detailed weather forecast and conditions report on our
Weather Blog page

But has to be superb up the hill this weekend, the big question is where to go tomorrow afternoon?

For those that don't read the Off-Piste section and the Ski Touring for Wallies thread. This is what we did today following on from yesterday's antics Very Happy

Pretty nice sortie today, as avy risk still 4/5 opted for two laps (550m each) in one of our favourite sectors, rather than a big climb into more exposed terrain.

That said we followed a track rather than breaking trail, and it went all over the place, into some very questionable terrain, which fortunately had already gone in the last day or two.

The descent(s) were very sweet, and I gave the GoPro 360 to a visiting Swede, and the smile on his face says it all Very Happy

http://youtube.com/v/G5og4jKj8Lw
snow report
@Weathercam, looks wonderful. Sorry to read that Ullr is off games.
snow report
Looks amazing. Sadly won’t be in SC this year with son in Tignes for season
snow conditions
Quick update, even though temps are +4 and we've had some drizzle / light rain, don't fret if coming out soon, it's nowhere near as bad as what's been happening in the Northern Alps evidently speaking to a mate in Chamonix today where it's been pouring down for the past 36hrs.

There is more rain in the forecast, Thursday into Friday and then next week look like classic spring conditions with a lot of sunshine.

There's circa 50cm in the valley and whilst consolidating fast, and with the probable rain, the pistes should be in fine condition.

So best piste skiing tactics will be to get first lifts and do the Manchester Very Happy

We're doing first lifts tomorrow as somebody has finally, after around five years of pontificating bought some GS Race type skis rolling eyes
snow report
Up early for the first lifts, as tomorrow looks like another non-starter, with the FL almost as high as the resort.

What is of concern is the biblical amount of rain in the forecast for the back end of next week, the 30th.

And that was exactly the same as a year ago as I was driving to Lyon to get the OH and next week it will be Turin.

I've also looked at other resorts in the French Alps and it's the same Sad

Just hope as ever that the nearer we get so it will disappear?
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

We're doing first lifts tomorrow as somebody has finally, after around five years of pontificating bought some GS Race type skis rolling eyes

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
@BobinCH, my thoughts exactly Laughing
snow report
KenX wrote:
@BobinCH, my thoughts exactly Laughing

He’s surely dangerous enough waving his GoPro lightsaber around in the backcountry. Now he’s going to be doing it at high speed down the middle of the piste Skullie Skullie Skullie
snow conditions
@BobinCH, @KenX, OOCOF *

Just back from first tracks./ first lifts on lovely corduroy pistes on my new S Race GS 10s.

And ironically they opened the Eychauda drag and saw a group scoring lovely untracked lines after traversing all the way to the end.

Now sitting outside Chalet du Lac nice soup & sandwich.

*Out of control old fart Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy