Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
We're just back from what has to be the shortest ski-tour on record!

Four of us drove up in two cars to Galibier sector, quite a few groups out and about, and more of a concern were the temps; as in the Valley (1,400m), when we left they were at 2.5 and when we arrived at the Lautaret (2,000m) 7.5 !

We put the skis on and the snow was wet, soft and heavy as up there it was still quite cloudy and windy, one of our group mutineered immediately and downed tools, whilst we carried on and then decided it was silly.

I was tempted to let the others go back down and go for Combeynot instead as I could see groups going up there and there was an element of FOMO but call it fussy, common sense etc and based on yesterday I'd had my fill of technical snow skiing at similar altitudes and that was before the overnight dank weather.

Outlook is certainly volatile and would seem that the Lautaret is the barrier to the snow over the weekend, with the best here maybe 15cm whilst LG, LDA & ADH substantially more. I just hope the Lautaret sector gets a fair bit as it will be good for a late-season touring base.

Going for a little hike up the Granon with all the mutts.

Further edit: nice hike, parked up around 3.5km up the road, and hiked up above Les Tronchets on a trail, and then a bit of a loop to come back down the actual road and then another path - car thermometer was reading +13 and then back down on the valley floor +17 , which I question as in the wind feels cooler and temp on the apartment is +13 but mild all the less.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Morning runs were good and snow soft but it was getting rather sticky as we stopped for lunch. We came straight back down afterwards to see to dogs, but it was seriously sticky on Eychauda, so I bailed and got the lift down. We've gone from cloud to sun to snow to rain but always pretty warm and snow underfoot was like glue by 1pm. Off on a shopping spree tomorrow as we need to stock up on stuff for apartment.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hells Bells, think shopping is the only sensible thing to do today Laughing

Friends out here currently have their son with them and they have lessons booked so they had no option but to go up the hill this morning, along with all the Brit school kids currently out here, so I should imagine that there's going to be some very sodden clothing this morning.

At least the ESF know how to dress for the occasion

Though Ullr not too sure about his wet weather gear Laughing

So temps are due to drop and should see snow in the valley later today, but as ever how much by this time tomorrow?

The current temp is +5.7 at 11:00.

The good news is that it does not look bonkers windy.

As for next week looks like better conditions in that not so slushy conditions so early on, as there looks to be more of a sustained overnight freeze happening, and then warming up in the day, along with lots of sunshine, so great terrace weather and hopefully classic ski-touring conditions, but I think we'll be taking it as ever one day at a time.

I took a lift up yesterday with a top honcho from UCPA and I was asking him about what clients he had out this week, and he said how their FreeRide groups day before yesterday were radioing back to base saying how they were nigh on stuck in glue whilst trying to ski Montagnolle Laughing

He also said that gone are the days with loads of Scandi's doing the FreeRide Camps and they don't know why they no longer come here, and that they're trying to look at other marketing opps, so I kept my gob firmly closed and did not mention slack-country Smile

Also have heard on the rumour mill from a couple of different sources that Club Med might close down for much-needed refurbishment especially if the Pointless lift development is delayed, so that sort of makes sense, if that happens there's going to be a lot of ESF instructors without a job next season!

And this week there is an ESF training week for disabled skiers and chairs etc and a guy I know well, his dad was the ESF ski school director here, was in the bar he now owns from his Dad after he passed suddenly a few years back, had a whole load of drugs and neoprene brace and he told me that he was demonstrating how to ski in a chair and he fell out and trashed his shoulder, and is now incapacitated for 30 days, though he says at least his insurance pays out for loss of earnings for a month which he would not of had anyway!

Have not seen any other signs of the residential developments by the old stables/circuit de glace, but there is a lot of earth moving going on from Pointless to there.

Oh and forgot to mention, first marmottes sighting, though not by me, but by my neighbour, cross-country up in Les Fonts on the 28th.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Looking white out there this morning, though very soggy, but no complaints as will be snow higher up, and after all it is April.

Yesterday was distinctly grim with rain below 2,300 most of the day, but I was speaking to some friends last evening who between them have 8 kids 4-9 and the kids didn't moan about the rain and had a great time, even though they were drenched.

There's a big ESF completion in the Villeneuve with over a 1,000 competitors, kids over 14 up to Masters an already at 08:00 they were going up on the lift, so think we'll head over to Monetier and see what it's like.

Webcam moving around the terrace

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Seriously windy in PSV yesterday afternoon. Lifts closed, restaurant chairs blown across the piste and trees down!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
April Fools Day?

Well we all thought that we'd wake up and it was all a dream, in that we were still skiing untracked pistes at 10:00 but in reality, it was raining & grim Laughing

I know we call it the secret piste but it seemed that two or three others were as well, as we just lapped the pistes off the Etoile drag.

I don't know whether it was because of the big event on in Villeneuve so there were not any Saturday local club skiers out on the race pistes there but they were totally deserted with around 10-15cms of fresh depending on which piste you took.

We were on first lifts from Monetier and when we arrived it was still snowing, and top lifts were closed, but there was not too much in the way of good viz. After around six laps we headed back down to take the lift up to see if Cibouit was open, and was still closed so we decided to head towards Vallons.

Viz was coming and going and just as we arrived top of Vallons so it cleared and we had a great run down on skiers left. Then it was back up and this time the viz had cleared on the Cucumelle chair side so we did a couple of sweet runs there in 30cms before it started to get tracked.

I then clocked a group skinning up Cucumelle (as the snow was too deep for hiking) so I opted to do that on my lonesome, just as a group started hiking up, so I opted to hike rather than skin, which was good until halfway up they stopped, transitioned and skied back down the Vallons side.

I did think I might have to put skins on but fortunately, there were a couple of sets of hiking tracks that I could follow.

The run down Vallon des Corneilles was pretty sweet and even the trees lower down were not too bad, coming out of them was very heavy and was amazing how once I joined the piste it had become so wet n'heavy in such a short space of time.

So an excellent morning, maybe one of the best of the season we think.

And you know it's April when it was lunch on the terrace in hot sunshine afterwards and then walking the dogs in Spring conditions with a carpet of crocuses coming through.

And as I type this the Lautaret / Galibier is still engulfed in cloud.

Not too sure about tomorrow, they still have not opened Yret or Cibouit so might be worth going straight to Monetier again?

Though these temps anything even North facing below 2,300 is going to be heavy, though bodes well for Spring skiing and some slack-country.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
First lifts again from Monetier, and a bunch of freeride dudes, all keen like us and hoping that Yret would open.

Alas no, as there was a bit of a jobsworth manning the lift who was grumpy to everyone who asked him when he was going to open Laughing

Fortunately Cibouit opened and was looking good from the lift, however, looks can be deceiving and if it wasn't North facing it had a bit of a crust and was technical to ski which caught a friend out that was with us, and he had trouble hacking the conditions which was then a tad frustrating hanging around watching others rip it as he had to pick himself up a good few times, so much so that I did loose it Laughing

Then Yret opened and Montagnolle beckoned except our friend who had taken the lift up with my OH decided that Montagnolle was maybe not for him, which was a wise decision but then my OH lost her confidence and opted out as well so a quick domestic ensued, and we ended up leaving them to it whilst we headed off towards Montagnolle.

And have to say @KenX, then took a leaf out of my book as he took no prisoners ripping past a group at the entrance who were testing their Arvas and we then had first tracks Very Happy

Snow was so good @KenX, didn't even stop for ages, where as usually you stop once of twice to relish it, but it was so good. Lower down if one was being fussy there was a slight crust, and best of all the dreaded run-out was nowhere near as bad as last week, and was almost enjoyable.

Once back down had to make amends so headed right over to Grand Serre to meet up with OH and said friend, and to make amends for earlier I coaxed them into some easy slack-country (short 20min skin) that delivered a nigh on perfect North facing powder field, untracked naturally Cool

Also covered a fair few kms on the piste and with the temps and windchill they were in excellent condition.

This week think will be taking one day at a time, mixture of touring and piste according to the weather and legs Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Decisions, decisions, ski-tour or go back up and see if there's still some powder to be had where we were yesterday in the picture above?

The forecast for this week has sun and cold temps overnight so ideal for touring, and great for the piste, however, the daytime temps are looking almost too cold for the all-important cooking transformation to Spring Snow, that said it's the intensity of the sun that could combat the cold temps.

https://www.meteociel.fr/previsions-wrf/1900/la_salle_les_alpes.htm

So think I'll go first-lifts and see if there's some cold snow to be had, though expect it to be wind-blown, and then early afternoon take the e-MTB up the Granon to see what's happening with the snow up there.

360 vid from yesterday showing how lush that was.

http://youtube.com/v/bKk4LvlX1HM
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Opted for first lifts, and after Gauthier chair put the skins on and climbed up to where the old drag used to be, in fact, ended up doing three laps as I scored untracked cold snow each time and for such a short climb (on my own 15mins) it was a no brainer to get such a good descent.

Halfway into the third climb they opened up Eychauda drag and everyone tried to ski off that, but it was pretty wind affected and then where they thought it would be better, as it looked smoother, they didn't realise that was because it had partially melted and had, as a result, a bit of a crust.

Each time I did a lap I then joined the piste to ski back to Gauthier chair and the pistes were superb.

Then this afternoon I drove up the Granon road to walk the dogs and could see through the binoculars that others, though not too many, had skied the same face in the image above.

Sun today has been doing it's thing, plus the wind has kicked in, and looks like showers further down the valley towards Izoard/Queyras, though clear over Galibier, so not much point in doing the Granon/Gardiole tomorrow as more of a walk when you can drive to the snowline from the Lautaret; will now have to wait and see what tomorrow morning brings.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awoke circa 07:30 and temp was 0° and more importantly hardly a cloud in the sky so we both decided to go for it, and were away from here at 08:30. One thing my OH does not do is faff, and she's often ready before me.

The big question was, would we be skiing Spring or cold snow, as temps the last two days have been in single figures, though not as cold as forecast, but also a chill wind; but the sun being so high is pretty intense.

As we neared the parking at around 2,000m one km before the Lautaret I groaned as I saw a coach and around 40+ ski tourers in a mixture of groups setting out on various routes. The OH groaned as well as she knew what I'd be like, and 15 mins later my suspicions were confirmed as I chatted to a group who were merrily following the group in front of them who were taking the wrong route too, and quelle surprise CAF from Grenoble Laughing

I must have had some "be nice" pills earlier as I suggested that they might like to follow me instead, and we soon caught up with the other group as they had to change direction and lose the height that they had gained.

That group were pretty quick and whereas the other group were all very chatty, this group was heads down almost going into their red zone. We chatted about the snow-pack and they said it was pretty inevitable that we'd be skiing Spring crust as the cold temps of the last couple of days was not transforming the snow, but merely producing a cm or so of crust.

I explained that I hoped to find cold snow on the N facing side but being typical CAF they'd already planned their objective before they'd set out and would not consider a change of plan no matter what the conditions might dictate Laughing

I look back at my many outings with Briancon CAF a good few years ago, and the guy leading always seemed to find good snow, but then it was his domain and he knew it like the back of his hand, unlike the Grenoble interlopers.

I let them steam on as I waited for the OH as I did not want to give them any temptation to change their plan, as it was not rocket science to see that as soon as I turned off the main Trois Eveches route the snowpack changed immediately from hard windblown crust to fresh cold snow, that many would call powder Toofy Grin

At this point I should say that earlier in the season, twice we had arrived at the same point and turned around as the snow and general conditions were pretty dire so it's not roses all the time, and we still did not know what we'd encounter later on, but it was looking good Cool

There was one set of tracks coming down, about a group of 5-6 but their tracks were very close together which was probably due to the poor viz up there the previous couple of days, as skiing close together/following tracks is sometimes the only way to ski if viz is bad. In fact as I type this the whole of that end of the valley is now engulfed in cloud!

The Crête de Chaillol can be a little daunting if you don't like being too exposed and the OH falls into that category, though it is really secure up there but I let her transition where she felt happy while I carried along the ridge which has spectacular views down to La Grave and La Meije.

Zoomed in on La Meije.

The ridge

And a rather sweet descent.

This time I suggested to the OH that it might be worth our while putting the skins on towards the end, and climbing up a little to ski a more N facing bowl but I was able to traverse and then a mixture of side stepping and poling we were able to access it and that delivered!

In fact I might well go back up there tomorrow and explore some more.

The last pitch down from the Galibier road to the parking was not as bad as I thought and it was cold heavy windblown but at least you could ski it and enjoy it, and right at the end we skied perfect Spring snow.

So a great morning out and about, with a post ski drink at Freds at the Lautaret, where the Cobeynot and Laurichard looked nigh on skied out, but I'm sure there's loads of options up there, just that we don't ski that side as we normally have a dog or two with us and they're interdit that side.

So forecast is more of the same, and there is a distinct chill even though it is sunny. A few weeks ago I cycled in Summer kit and we we skied superb Spring snow the next day, so we need those sort of temps in the mid teens for a good freeze melt cycle, that said again I hear the pistes have been excellent.

That is as long as you don't come across the Brit school kids having lessons here, I wonder if their parents know that the all-inclusive ski-school lessons they paid for are actually for 25 kids in a group!

I kid thee not, I took this photo a couple of days ago and we counted 25 Shocked

snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

That is as long as you don't come across the Brit school kids having lessons here, I wonder if their parents know that the all-inclusive ski-school lessons they paid for are actually for 25 kids in a group!

Sadly, we know but there's no alternative for a school trip - schools book what they can get, and the insurance won't allow anything other than skiing with an instructor.

My youngest is heading for Serre Chevalier at the end of this week. I'm hoping that they will get some snow on the pistes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tomj, they'll be plenty of snow on the pistes so no worries there.

Most of the ski-school groups you see from Club Med are 12 in a group and likewise, for school trips, that's why I took the photo as I've never seen so many in a group like that, sort of makes a mockery of the insurance statement.

Looking good for this morning, -3 and not a cloud in the sky, and I'm back up to where we were yesterday, but exploring some other potential lines with @KenX,
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bit of an adventure today, will post more laters, but here's a taster or two Cool

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of larger UK school groups about today although some seemed to have 2 instructors with them. Mainly 10-12 per group.
Early boilerplate gave way to some really nice piste skiing although there was a cold wind on occasions. Even the cow at Le White was a bit chilly.

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Well today was as they say another Grand Day Out. Piste conditions were absolutely superb. Still real winter conditions underfoot and warm enough for lunch outside but not roasting hot. Got over as far as Prorel before lunch at Serre Ratier and back to Monetier via Combes and Vallons lifts. Furthest weve skied this winter and the longest we've left the pup. A real pleasure to not be facing a slushfest by now.
ski holidays
Well that was one hell of a week, and the cold weather of the past week has kept the snow in great condition

Fresh snow from Saturday to Wednesday. And then Thursday a good piste ski with lunch saying goodbye to friends, which then carried on in a bar later, but luckily with a bit of a break.

And then Friday discovered that Ullr had done something to his leg, when he was getting so strong Crying or Very sad
Though Wednesday night I did hear him yelp as he managed to get the lead twisted in excitement as friends turned up, but then he was fine walking Thursday. So Friday afternoon down to the vet who took an X-ray and then sent it to the surgeon in Gap and they diagnosed a severe muscle tear (severe swelling & infection) as the prosthetic he has is so strong, luckily it was the muscle that tore rather than the prosthetic as our concern was that he'd damaged that and we were facing another operation and 12 weeks of angst again.

After a syringe of anti-inflammatories by the next morning he was putting weight back on it again and walking a little and today he is almost back to the way he was, but we'll not be letting him do anything for another week or so, which was a shame as I'd decided to start running again and he was the reason why, so two days (5km & 6km) of running without Ullr but Beanie came along Toofy Grin

It was obvious judging by the traffic that many people were spending Easter here, and all our Italian neighbours are here, and in the bar last evening (more friends leaving) there was an end-of-season party going on with workers from the La Cabanne restaurant so don't know whether they've closed as there were a lot of people skiing today and the Chazelet was packed when we finished up.

I took a mate to do some Slack-Country and in his words, the Spring snow was delicious, though he wasn't too sure about the climbing side of the day Laughing

We ski that valley behind him

Then climb back up to the Cucumelle chair

Lovely spring-snow

With the high temps the ski back down Vallons was a massive slush fest !

Passing on going back to the Chaz as a friends band is playing but think it's going to get messy, and tomorrow heading up Gardiole way with the OH where @KenX, scored a good one today.

And now we're into the last week of the season and we might even see some snow at altitude again mid-week!
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
......And now we're into the last week of the season and we might even see some snow at altitude again mid-week.....

Weather was grim yesterday afternoon and on into the evening, but as hoped there's snow on the trees and looks like a reasonable blanket at altitude, wind could be an issue maybe, but earlier viz issues now looking way better straight up in front of me.

CDB chair for 09:00 for a couple of hours before it gets heavy sounds like a plan.

Hardly anyone around just think it will be seasonaires who are not working now who will be up in the powder stashes.
snow report
My daughter is reporting a great morning on her school trip to Serre Chevalier this week:

"OMG we literally had such good snow this morning our first was this black with like 15cm of fresh powder and it was actually so fun"

"we did loads of off piste and everyone was falling over and it was so funny and the snow was so deep it was amazing"
snow conditions
@tomj, that's great to hear, we did hear and see a few Brit school groups having fun in the fresh snow, don't suppose your daughter's instructor is Didier, as I saw him from the chairlift taking a group down and he shouted up at me that there was 20cm of fresh.

It was a good morning, and @KenX were on the first CDB lift only to then find that both Gauthier and Vallons were closed for avi control so we do a few laps off the Cote Chevalier asking at the Gauthier chair if the avi control was still going on and then on cue there was a massive boom Laughing

Eventually, Gauthier opened up and we did a lap off Bosse à Jules, and then I went back up and did another one.

Then took Gauthier up again and put the skins on for a quick climb up to where the old Clot Gauthier drag was, and that was sweet, just as I started off I saw another set of fresh skin tracks coming from where I was skiing down but could not see a skier.

Then as I made it down I saw this skier coming down and he stacked it a couple of times but was a very smooth old-school skier, and he skied down towards me, very much out of breath, and he said how tired he was, and I said that it was a little wind affected, then he said how he had been very ill the last year and then opened up more in that it was lymph cancer, then he almost got emotional in that he was so pleased to have been able to climb up and ski down, throwing in a few swear words as he was so chuffed, with me giving him a lot of praise and chapeaus.

He did decline going back up with me as he said once was all he had hoped for and now he wanted a coffee on a terrace, only trouble was the Frejus cafe was closed.

I did go back up for one more and the weather was close to closing in but the sun shone even though the Gauthier chair stopped because the wind was gusting so much with me only 3ms from the top as the guy explained to me it was the rafales.

So good morning, and once back down below around 2,000m it was pretty grim though did eventually soften up lower down.
snow report
@Weathercam,
Quote:

don't suppose your daughter's instructor is Didier

It is!

From my daughter UrsulaJ:
"OMG that's who I had! Honestly, he was a bit mental!
Like we saw a sign off piste being like risk of avalanche don't ski but we still did lol
And everyone be like oh I don't want to go down there and he's still taking us
But he was really fun"

So he's a been hit with the teens today!
Please thank Didier from me, if you have a chance. I know that some ski school instructors get a bad rep by association with the general ski school approach. But all I've heard this week is a teenager who is having a brilliant time, being challenged but really enjoying her skiing.
ski holidays
Little video showing how busy it was up there today Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/ZteQxCrADPw
ski holidays
@tomj, thought it might have been him Toofy Grin

He was a neighbour for a few years a while back.

He's a great guy, and also a really good local guide, earlier in the season had friends who used him for three or four days ski-touring and off-piste and they thought he was superb.

I was nagging to him before we went up this morning about how good the conditions might be, hence he was shouting at me on the lift, not knowing we'd already done one run.

In the Summer he goes to Chile and is also a Paraglider instructor.
latest report
Well that's a wrap for this season for the resort.

Always seems to be a bit of anti-climax as many can't wait to leave before the final day with quite a few restaurants closing last weekend.

There was an event happening at Monetier yesterday and we arrived just as a blizzard/squall hit with exhibitors trying to hang on to their awnings, at one stage I think there were more people on the stage than in the audience, and it always seems that a Frenchman with a microphone can talk for France Laughing

We had drinks in the 1420 earlier but passed on the closing party, my mate the night before was with his parents there who are our age anyway and they were partying till 01:30 and then last evening with us, they were on cokes Laughing

Our game-plan was to ski-tour in the morning and then meet them up the hill for a BBQ and one final piste ski, but we didn't get up the hill; in the end just walked the dogs to the Chaz, which again was quiet though they were setting up some sounds for something later.

The very strong wind's from yesterday did ease a little but it was strong enough for some lifts to be closed, or that might just have been end-of-season apathy, as so few people around.

We parked up at the Lautaret and the wind was not too bad, but cloud was the issue, and we were climbing in very flat light, and the snow underfoot was very wind affected. I was following some tracks of quite a large group which made a change and the going was nice n'easy, in fact who ever was leading took a very easy ascent to the road.

The light did get progressively worse and looking behind me I could see Serre Che in lovely sunny conditions, so we carried on hoping that the forecast of clearing sky would happen.

As we were skinning up a steep pitch so the group skied back down, and given the conditions, they were very nifty skiers, then I could see once they'd got to the plateau below, they started to transition to climb back up another route, probably to Trois-Évêchés.

I then went back on myself and headed back to where it looked brighter and to ski the same line we did a couple of days ago. While the OH stayed below I carried on to the ridge, transitioned and then waited for the cloud to do it's thing.

The Crête de Côte Plaine, which almost seems to be the only place I've ski-toured this season, does hold windblown snow really well and very few people ski it, and again was just us up there.

To be honest lower down out of the picture the snow was more wind affected, and technical to ski, and then was nigh on Spring snow further down, but off that ridge it's a cracking line, and I think I've skied more cold snow this April than in Jan, Feb and March!

http://youtube.com/v/-AJb7_0ebX8

Then walking back later from the Chaz with the dogs I looked up towards that direction and there was like a massive blanket of cloud that had enveloped the Galibier & Pic Blanc, so I think we were quite lucky.

So from now on it's ski touring, taking one day at a time, and the way the forecast is looking probably will not be able to make a decision until the morning, and then there's always La Grave which we've not skied this season?
ski holidays
Again, Groundhog Day, didn't make a call on whether to go until 08:00, fair amount of cloud up the valley but we thought we'd chance it, going with a mate who I knew might find it a bit of a challenge, but he was up for it.

We parked up at the Lautaret and there were only six or so other tourers starting out on various routes. Three people crossed the road with a dog and I thought nothing of it, until ten minutes later I heard a shrill whistle and looked over and saw Genadarmes out of their car gesticulating at them, as they had taken the dog into the park. I did think the gendarmes were PGHM (Mountain Police) but they were ordinary plod, so quite unlucky for the tourers to be setting off just as they happened to drive past.

Our objective was cold snow on the Combeynot face and we were a little concerned as we started out as the snow-pack was not brilliant but as soon as we started climbing up the face the snow became rather good, and there was plenty of untracked to be had, though like yesterday light was a little flat, but there were occasional glimpses of sunshine, so again could be stealth skiing like yesterday.

My mate called it a day after 400m or so and I carried on telling him that I was going to ski a pitch that was untracked and promised a good line, and then I'd ski to him and we'd go down together so I could keep a watchful eye on him.

I was concerned as to why no one had skied in that sector thinking maybe the snow was too wind affected, but as I dropped in all was ok. I skied down and then into another line and then cut across (you can see in the picture) to ski to my mate, but I couldn't see him, so I just presumed that he wanted to take his time and ski down on his own, little did I realise that he changed his jacked from black to red rolling eyes

It was probably for the best (being selfish) as I had a great ski down, and he skied the challenging slope in his own time and no pressure from me.

So a good morning.

Our objective

Then zoomed in.

Weather this afternoon is a bit dank now, and doubt if that will be snow up there, so will have to wait and see what it's like in the morning.
ski holidays
It does seem a tad ludicrous in that all the kids are on holiday here and yet Serre Che is closed, and as usual, it would seem Montgenevre has taken advantage of that scenario and they have some lifts and pistes open this week.

You would have thought that they could have planned on keeping something open this week up from Ratier on a skeleton staff as there certainly does seem to be people about, and as we walk the dogs on the valley floor we're getting buzzed by various groups of bikers out, though the weather is still varied, to say the least, with cloud building up very quickly by mid-morning.

Yesterday with the sun forecast all day, we opted to drive up the Granon road, to see how far we could get and skin up to the Gardiole. And the road was open all the way to nigh on 2,100 so avoiding a couple of kms walk.

We were able to put the skis on only after a 5 min hike and again we arrived at the Gardiole and had to wait for the snow to transform some more, I then decided to ski off to the SE which was already perfect Spring snow, which however would then involve another climb back up which the others passed on, and have to say that was great, and plenty of scope and options, as you can see from the image below.

Again for this morning, the forecast was varied, but there was a slight window of opportunity, and given that the forecast going forward is pretty grim thought I'd chance it with the aim of exploring more of what I did yesterday as I was on my own, logic being that it's only 680m of climbing up to the Gardiole from where we can now park so dropping off skiing down and then climbing another 3-400m is not too bad in the overall scheme of things.

The weather was good and hardly any clouds I parked up and was on my way at 09:30 and was soon working a sweat up, but I could see cloud building up and by the time I reached the summit my plan of exploring off the back was a non-starter, as it was starting to snow and the light was very flat indeed, plus it looked like it could well close in far more, so a tactical retreat was in order.

As you can see still plenty of snow on the other side of the valley from the mid-stations.

Various forecasts have differing amounts of snow at various freezing-levels but there doesn't look like any decent weather for the next ten days, but it seems to have been like that the past three or four weeks and then we end up taking it one day at a time, but normally this time of the year I've already clocked up a fair few rides on the road-bike.
snow report
Snowline on the trees on this morning, when I could see them, was circa 1,600m and webcams were showing 10+ cm, and I was almost tempted to drive up to the Lautaret, as the weather looked like it was possibly clearing for some stealth skiing, but then the cloud came back in and the light was very flat.

So decided to take Ullr for a run uphill to Clos de la Selle just outside Monetier where I've seen bouquetin and mouflon along with many marmots on the plateau there, it's nowhere near as popular as Pont de l'Alpe, and that's probably as the path is so feckin steep, though I was trying to run it, with Ullr pulling me as well and I had to resort to walking a fair few times as it beat me.

And then a bouquetin came into view, and like I've often said they are so similar to domestic cows in that they don't really bother if you're close by, and this one like others I've come across almost took a worrying interest in Ullr and I decided it was prudent to carry on.

This was "him" following us.

Once on the plateau where the snowline was at 1,900m could see a fair few marmots but nothing else, but then I spotted a few mouflon and then walked towards them, it was only when I really concentrated I realised that there were about 40 of them spread out over the mountainside!

http://youtube.com/v/92aR5_e-kZs

Hoping it will be clearer tomorrow but strong winds are forecast Crying or Very sad
snow report
Yesterday awoke to cloud hanging around the valley and dank, so we aborted our planned sortie.

However, depending on what forecast you looked at Laughing a few had the weather clearing around 13:00, and that seemed to be happening around Noon.

I was sort of interested in going up if only to see what the state of the snow was like if only to confirm what I thought might be the case.

So we drove up with me dropping the OH, Ullr & Beanie at Monetier as they were running back, and when I arrived up at the Lautaret indeed conditions were a lot brighter.

I was surprised at the number of tracks, so many people had obviously not been deterred by the recent weather.

As I was getting ready a small group had just come down and I had a chat with them about the snow-pack and they used a couple of adjectives* I could not understand, where normally "Mouillée" would be used for heavy wet snow, which is what I was expecting.

Then as I was starting to skin another guy came down, and we had the same conversation and he said it was very slow to ski, which again I interpreted as velrco snow where your kneecaps feels as if they might pop out!

As I got on to the main part of the climb I was asking why am I doing this, though again was sort of bizarrely curious as to what the snow might be like as I climbed higher, would it turn to heavy powder at least?

What was mildly alarming was the number of slides that had occurred with the heavy wet recent snowfall sliding off the warm rocks and then propagating out further below.

And then what ski tracks there were resembled deep furrows of a ploughed field!

I could see a possible break in the clouds so decided to call it a day at 500m in just over the hour, which was not too bad a pace given this time the amount of kick-turns as the route up was not going to far out either side because of the potential of further slides.

And I was pleasantly surprised at the ski-down, yes the snow was super heavy but it was not velcro and my knees were not complaining, and I was almost enjoying the challenge of skiing the face. I also think that as it is steep the gradient helps with the heavy snow.

As I came lower down so things started to be very bizarre, in that I was almost skiing in slow-motion it seemed, as I was not skiing anywhere near the normal speed you'd normally do and I was not doing that deliberately, so my speed was probably 50% slower than what you'd normally expect, very weird skiing!

So glad I went up, if only for the work-out, and I'm now curious as to what will happen further with the snow-pack, probably have a horrendous crust if we get a severe overnight freeze?

Again minging weather this morning, hoping the road will dry out and then out with the road bike, and does seem to be that time of the year when the bikes start to come out judging by the number out yesterday.

But the forecast again for next week is very volatile.
ski holidays
Well the changeable conditions continue...

Normally at this time of year, we'd see a spell of wet weather and then things would settle down and most afternoons we'd see temps in the high teens by the afternoon for chilling out on the terrace.

By now I would have clocked up a fair few long rides on the road bike and we'd do the occasional ski-tour if conditions allowed for the all-important freeze-melt cycle which we could pretty well identify via the forecasts.

This April has been totally different and we've probably not had three days in a row of Serre Che sunshine, so it's been a case of waking up and then making a call as to what to do, and hoping the clouds don't roll in too soon, and then there's been the feckin wind....

So after a bike ride up the Lautaret day before yesterday and then yesterday taking Ullr for his first 10km run since his ops, this morning we set off for a ski tour as conditions looked good, and if anything we were concerned that it might not have been too much of an overnight freeze, but my new temperature monitor said otherwise, as the bird bath was frozen over this morning, even though temps were showing +3.5.

We parked up at 2,100 and on the way up I did comment how it was a tad breezy. And as we climbed up so the wind started to howl, and it was a very cold wind, so the snow was not softening up at all. As ever good practice sans couteaux though did have a couple of slips when I relaxed too much, OH was nice and secure with hers.

We took it nice n'easy hoping the sun getting ever stronger would counter the effects of the wind, but then the weather gremlins decided to throw a lot of cloud into the mix as well rolling eyes

On the surrounding summits, the wind was throwing the spindrift snow into a series of dancing gyroscopic columns that seemed to bear no relation to the wind direction, and we bailed on getting to the summit as poor old Beanie was not looking too happy with things.

After the transition, we skied a number of new pitches and then followed a line desperately trying to hope that the snow would have softened up lower down and ironically came back down to the road just as a mate (instructor/guide) showed up, with his client, the only other two up there; and he pretty well encountered the same conditions in another sector closer to the Grand Area.

So the good news is that there's still plenty of snow up there and hopefully by tomorrow wind might have eased.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully conditions are better than yesterday, good overnight freeze with the clear overnight sky with solid ice on the bird bath here, and just a little breeze.

Conditions look good up the Valley towards 3 Evêchés from here

And zoomed in on the objective, though I'll aim for the Col in the shade right of the picture.

Think I'll take couteaux today as going early.
latest report
Well that was an excellent morning, up there with the best of the season!

Did think that snow-pack would be an issue but in the end could not really have wished for better.

Though if I had the cojones to drop down off the other side there was superb cold snow to be had.

I saw more marmots than skiers up there, it was so quiet, plus a chamois who was as surprised as me as I was skiing down towards him, likewise, the marmots don't expect you to come from above them.

Glad I had the couteaux as was a tad challenging at times.

Once on the ridge, you have superb view of La Meije and the Girosse glacier and you can easily make out the T-bar there in the picture.

And then out on the horizon Mont Blanc

The first part of the descent was creamy wind-blown snow that was softening up and one was conscious of maybe setting something off hence looking back up the hill to be sure that there was nothing coming down Laughing

Another day or two, weather allowing and that will transform to more typical spring-snow.

Further on down it was text-book lush spring-snow.

http://youtube.com/v/RoMlj9iBmek

Maybe back up there tomorrow if the conditions/forecast allows, but the forecast is sketchy from Noon onwards.

So an earlier start me thinks once I've checked the bird bath out Laughing

Forgot to mention the snow was so bright at times I was struggling to see any definition to it, will use darker glasses tomorrow maybe?
snow conditions
We were not too sure about conditions as we went to bed, temps were still +8 though there was a clear sky.

The all-important barometer, the bird bath, had a couple of microns of ice on it and temps were +3, with a cloudless sky.

We left early parking up circa 08:15 and the snow was already softening up.

And it was just us and the marmots up there, with some of the best touring conditions of the season again it seemed.

Think the World and his wife have gone to Norway Laughing

Spring-snow was even better than yesterday with another 24hrs of the melt cycle in the bank.

The Galibier road at circa 2,300m, we ski that face left of Pic Blanc.

More marmots, though you do feel sorry for the ones all on their own, and it's interesting to see new dens appearing, even after yesterday as the older ones have lots of muddy tracks around them.

OH in action with La Meije in the background.

And Barre des Ecrins

Looks like that's it for at least three days, and next week not looking good, but that's what we've been saying at this stage in the week for the past month or so.
latest report
Great end to the season for you, almost makes up for the rubbish weeks...
latest report
Again Friday's weather was not as bad as forecast, but temps in the morning and the bird bath suggested that ski-touring was not a viable option, so I'd gone to bed with a plan formulating.

Out with the road bike, and maybe a trip over to Italy via the Col de l'Échelle, descending down to Bardonecchia and then on to Oulx and then the long climb up to the Col de Montgenevre and then dropping back down to Briancon, and of course a coffee in Claviere!

I caught up to a couple of young riders and sat on their wheel for most of the ride up the vallée de la Clarée towards Nevache, saying thanks and goodbye as the road steepened as I then turned towards the Échelle.

We'd discussed if it was open and they said no, but I'd been over a fair few times at a similar time of the year and they'd been preparing it to open from the Italian side which is North facing so holds the snow far more than on the South facing French side which was open just to the Col.

If it's open on both sides then you can do a 95km loop, and with the May Day holiday I thought that they might be working on getting it open in time.

As I neared the Col on the French side signs were up saying it was closed. Once you're at the French Col there is then a beautiful 2km plateau before you get to the Italian Colle della Scala, and there were two concrete barriers across the road.

As I cautiously rode around them I could see that the road was strewn with rocks, and you pass through two little tunnels carved out through the rock face which are pretty spectacular. Then as I came out I could see what the issue(s) were with a couple of fairly substantial rock falls.

On a bike it was easy to ride through the debris and I knew once past them it should be ok, though lower down on the next section there had been more activity. Once pass it all, it's a lovely and obviously quiet descent down to Melezet and on to Bardonecchia.

The road goes around the outskirts of Bardonechhia town where all the lifts are and accommodation and that is all deserted this time of year.

I nearly stopped off in Oulx for a coffee but decided to plod on as that is the start of the long climb up to Montgenevre and my plan was a coffee in Claviere, however, Claviere was all deserted too and my favourite Mi Chi was closed.

Clouds were building up and rain was in the forecast for later so I carried on, which was just as well as the other Cafe option in Montgenevre was also closed.

Back in Briancon, my thermometer was reading 23.5 and then luckily I had a tail wind as I cycled back up the valley, which had an hour after I returned home switched direction blowing hard back down the valley, so at least I had some luck!

And the stunning tunnels (2 x 1km) outside Claviere which are no longer used for motorised traffic.

So given all the ski-touring this week my legs were not too bad, though I did take it easy.

The forecast now is mild and freezing levels are at 3,000m along with rain, so I think that's it for ski-touring plus the OH ordered some ski-touring gear which arrived Saturday so that's probably not helped Laughing

Hopefully, again will be a case of one day at a time next week and the weather will not be as bad as the forecast currently has it.

Plan is back to the UK for the 19th as it's my mother's 100th, so really only two more weeks, Summer tyres have been ordered and are being fitted the week after next, and think the strimmer will see some activity as the grass is growing really quick now.

Meant to rain most of the day today, so out with Ullr soon for a run as we're trying to get him back in shape.

Ciao
snow report
So the weather was wet n'grim Saturday through to Monday, though did manage a 10km with Ullr.

I did think to myself when looking at the rain radar that there was probably a good chance it was a Genoa Low (Retour D'Est) producing the prolonged spell of wet weather but I thought no more about that until I cycled over to Sestrierre on Tuesday where it was evident that they'd had snow at 2,000m unlike back here in Serre Che with quite a few tracks down the main face back into the resort.

That said it was a cracking ride and the weather was warm, by the time I arrived back temps were circa 22°. The next morning was a tad frustrating as the all-important ski-tour barometer of the bird-bath had a good layer of ice on it, but alas I had a guy coming round to fiddle with the FreeStat dish as the signal had all but disappeared, which was not helped by me using an old decoder box outside to fiddle with the dish which no longer was able to receive the new HD FreeStat channels rolling eyes

A mate of mine however was able to tell me what a great ski-tour he'd had up at Combeynot so a return match was arranged for today.

And that was rather sweet, and in fact a first for me skiing Spring snow on the North face of the Combeynot.

Afterwards, I messaged the OH who was packing her gear up to say hold off, it ain't over yet, though the weather tomorrow is not brilliant.

This is about 2,600, yesterday this was cold snow in the morning, but then in the afternoon temps hit 24° so it was on the heavy side today.

Rolf skiing at around 2,500m with the Col du Lautaret well below

Lower down was so sweet

ski holidays
@Weathercam, I’m told you’re a local.
Where would you suggest would be the best base at Serre Chevalier for a 40 something couple? We’ll have a car and will want to check out Briancon old town and some nearby resorts like L2A and Montgenevre. We certainly don’t mind driving but would like to be able to walk to the lifts on a couple of days.
We’d want a couple of pubs and a few restaurants as we’ll eat out each night.
Thanks in advance.
snow report
@Ozsnowfan, any of the villages will give you that in abundance. Monetier is the highest village at 1500m (approx), it has thermal spa as well. Villeneuve and Chantemerle are bigger and with easier access into main ski area, although new lifts in Monetier have improved things no end. Briancon is 20 minutes from Monetier, and closer to the others. You have the choice of traditional village houses, modern (and older) apartments with access to pools and saunas, as well as larger apartment blocks in all of the villages. L2A is about an hour or so over the Col du Lauteret but Montgenvre is closer for a day out exploring. I'm sure @Weathercam will have more advice. Are you planning on piste skiing or exploring off-piste?
latest report
@Hells Bells, thanks.
I like many love to ski off piste but I’m no off piste expert so usually only ski the low angle stuff that can be seen from the lifts. I have often joined guided groups in the past though and will definitely do so when I get the opportunity. If conditions are great and no groups are available we’ll get a guide for a day or two.
The good thing about not living near snow is that if conditions are not fantastic we’re happy cruising around on the groomed runs while taking in views.
For us skiing really is a no lose situation.
snow conditions
@Weathercam, new thread for this season?
It’s almost December so I’m getting keen for my week in late January. Can you recommend a guide that may be able to accomodate me (wannabe off piste expert but in reality pretty average skier) and my wife (cautious but open to mellow off piste) that might also offer some technique tips too? Just for a couple of days.
ski holidays
@sbooker, I'd highly recommend Gavin Crosby (New Generation) - who got me ski-ing off piste. My husband is a better and more confident skier than me but we wanted to ski off-piste together. We discovered Gavin and I'm glad we did. He's a very experienced instructor, a nice bloke and was brilliant on confidence building and technique. He's an instructor rather than a guide. Hope this helps.
snow conditions
@snowlapin, thanks!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy