Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Has been way better than expected, 5-10 on the piste and 10+ off piste

Great to hear! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ok so the rain we had yesterday has NOT trashed the pistes back into resort and considering how much rain we had they've held out really well!

I'm not too sure how much is left of the 10-15cm off-piste as it would have consolidated very quickly as temps rose to nigh on double figures by mid-afternoon.

As for the forecast, who the hell knows, what we'll actually get, think tomorrow might be a bit of a damp squib and then fingers crossed for Saturday that the freezing levels will not be too high, and Sunday could be rather good in places hopefully!

And on the previous page, I did mention a slide that a skier in front of me set-off, as he did it I skied out and traversed to skier's right and took a more mellow line.

It just goes to show what can happen, and going back up on the chair I could see that the crown was only 10cms or so whereas if it had been 30 it would have been a different story, but then if we do get a substantial fall on Saturday there will be some serious control going on along with lifts closed for a couple of days while things settle down, also not going to be helped by the wind's that are forecast.

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam wrote:
Hooked up with KenX snow getting a little heavy but still skiing good untracked

Did you type this while you were stuck on the draglift? Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
KenX wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
Hooked up with KenX snow getting a little heavy but still skiing good untracked

Did you type this while you were stuck on the draglift? Laughing

Typed that going back up after we hooked up, as well as dealing with a couple of client emails, twas Another Hard Day in the Office Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Snow line looking pretty good today. Looks like fresh snow to about ~1600m. Have to work today but looking forward to hearing reports from the mountain Eh oh!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow line better today, unfortunately snow quantity and general viz somewhat lacking, only around 5 cm at mid station....
Tomorrow should be another story , but we'll have to wait and see, may potentially cause travel disruption over the 2 cols......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Friends staying above La Grave went back to sleep as strong winds raged outside, they were meant to be hooking up with us in Monetier but didn't get up in time.

They've said lift over that side in open to P2 - but still very windy, if they come over this side of the Col to skin up in the forest they might risk the chance of the Col closing.

It really is a heap of pooh at the moment and looks like FLs are anywhere between 2,000-2,350m though now some weather has appeared on Tuesday now with much lower FL's.

And XC is no better, this is the update from them this morning.

Bonjour à tous les fans de glisse !!!
Le domaine n'a pas été damé car nous pensions avoir de la neige dans la nuit et c'est de la pluie/neige en très petite quantité qui est tombée Eh oh! ... Les giboulées sont de retour avec un vent très présent dès Monêtier ...
Nous sommes dans les mêmes conditions qu'hier :
Les pistes sont glacées ce matin ... Nous vous conseillons de venir à partir de la mi-matinée (10h30-11h) !
Prévoyez de prendre votre temps ce matin avant de venir affronter la tempête Eh oh!
Belle journée à toutes et tous !!
L’Équipe nordique

Should also add to the above that both @KenX, and I are very fussy as to the conditions that we ski in.
In my case heavy snow / poor viz not good for my knees.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
15+ cms of the finest concrete you could imagine Laughing

Off out for first lifts, though don't think they'll be running on time, and one hell of a lot of blasting going on!

Webcam moving around the terrace etc

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

Report back laters
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One word, four letters, starts with s and ends in t....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scut? Eh oh!

Cucumele is good by the trees. Under Vallons was good and tree runs around Echallion are great snowHead everything lower down is a lot of wet snow
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@shredder, we did first lifts (Frejus Gondola) as CDB had not opened and there was a lot of people there, even with &joy.

So we just stayed in the Frejus sector but the snow was just so heavy, even in the trees and then rain / snow as the temps were all over the place.

Anyway you know it's bad when the Swedish Seasonaires call it a day, and then people decide to take the gondola back down rather than ski down, which I did, and sort of regret it.

La Grave shut as wet n'windy according to friends; we're now going over there for luncn.

latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm over in Briançon but Prorel 2 was shut this morning so drove to Chantemerle and got up pretty quick. No queues here but it was busier towards Vallons direction.

It's wet that's for sure but I'll take it... snowHead Next week FL looking good for a dump Tuesday night?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
La Grave was dank, grim and pissing down, plus they didn't even get the snow we had, and I've never seen the lift car park looking so sorry for itself Sad

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, gosh, what a sad photo.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good afternoon all - do the thermal baths at Monetier les Bains allow children (11 year old). Heading to Montgenevre first week of April and planning on a day in Serre with the possibility of a thermal bath afterwards.
ski holidays
@Joy Zipper, they did last year, so would assume they will...
latest report
Thanks qwerty.
snow conditions
Big slide Balme ridge/ Cucumelle sector!

https://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers-justice/2023/03/11/hautes-alpes-plus-de-soixante-personnes-mobilisees-sur-des-recherches-pour-une-avalanche
ski holidays
Evidently two were found, alive!

Be careful out there today, don't often see it as severe as this!

Think pistes should be glorious this morning at least!

I'm waiting for the XC update.
snow report
Thought the XC season was over but FB update just in

Bonjour à tous et toutes !!!
Damage de la veille sur les pistes suivantes :
- Guisane (bleue)
- Abeillers
- Pré des Grandes
- Chanteloube

More excited over that than going up the hill, sad I know rolling eyes
latest report
XC piste was in great condition going out but the headwind was really tough, and then en-route to le Casset the snow started to melt and get really heavy so quickly, and what should have been an easy return leg with the tail-wind was hard work!

Snow must be so wet, at least in the valley after all the rain, that once the top overnight frozen layer melts it's heavy cement underneath.

Heard from friends that La Grave closed due to extreme risky conditions, evidently after the commission run to inspect it they had a glass of wine straight away glad to have made it down in one piece.

Same friends have nipped over to Italy for lunch and said they'd do a safe skitour on the S side of the Col later, so I'll get a report back of what's that like.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 12-03-23 14:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Pistes this morning were lovely up high. OK at lower levels but a bit icy from the overnight rain and then freezing up. It warmed up quickly so that’s not been a problem for long, some slushy moguls to be found by lunch time.

Also ventured onto some fresh “between piste” at the top of Vallons, nice but quickly tracked out.

I’d also note I’m much less fussy than Weathercam - my gauge this season has been a relatively sparse week in Zell am See (just after the January dump so not awful) and an even more sparse few days at Glencoe.
ski holidays
A lot of touring going up the slopes, particularly around Montier today. Is the prohibition of it enforced at all by staff? And would there be a problem before lift opens?

Chatting to one of the tourers that was going up, they said the staff don't say anything due to the current state of the marked routes. Staff were also very encouraging the day I skinned up around Prorel when the strikes were on.
ski holidays
@shredder, should imagine the tourers were maybe heading to drop off into Montagnolle which they knew should be untracked, as I think Yret but have been closed all day due to the winds, hence maybe they were not issuing rando passes?

But that's all guess work and it was a Sunday so more people out and about, plus with the Avy risk maybe they were just being sensible and not touring up around the Lautaret as just too windy?

After watching the humiliation that was the rugby last evening at the 1420 a friend said maybe it would now be renamed the 5310 Laughing
ski holidays
Sorry should have said these folks were on Rochamout, not sure what the end point was but the fella I was chatting to tours up the slope for 2 hours then comes down. Also met a couple of tourers on Ramperts near Prorel earlier in the week...

Piste touring is perfect for me if it's allowed. Did it quite a bit in Austria in previous years, a couple of hours touring in the morning before work. One run down, done and back at my desk Very Happy
ski holidays
@shredder, it wasn't just the staff heading to Chalet Peyra Juana?
snow report
They were well past Peyra Juana, just before you get to the crossing of the button lift coming up to the Y junction on Rochamout
ski holidays
@shredder, hopefully now the holiday's are over things will be more relaxed.

I was discussing a potential plan of taking Eychauda lift up and then skinning up if Yret was shut with KenX but we decided it would be too shite lower down.

Could well be piste ski in the morning tomorrow and then if sunny out with the road bike in the early afternoon temps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mmmm just in from my friends....

We did a tour on south side. Good, safe snow actually. Spring snow at bottom and cold and consistent higher up. North side looked good too. You might want to bring your skis on the bike Eh oh!

Also LG should open and will be good above P2.
snow report
First lifts and pistes glorious.

Though Eychauda off-piste looks very tracked out, considering it was AR 4 yesterday ?

Other side of valley might be worth exploring later on the eMTB see how far I can get up and what the snow is like?

Bumped into wet Swedes they're going for Montagnolle, though Yret still shut.

Piste back into resort already warm, but so empty great thrash down with four or so ski tourers coming up that way (top of Pointless) which is not too bad an option.

Now family ski for me next couple of hours, when they eventually get their shite together Laughing
snow conditions
Any report on conditions today? Hoping to get out this afternoon if it's good! snowHead
snow report
@shredder, don't bother!

@kenX, and I went up just after Noon, and were quite optimistic as to what we might expect.

Did one run in untracked snow and was heavy, then went and tried to ski a lovely line in the trees (2,200m) and was nigh on dangerous as just could not turn at speed the way I'd like, as the snow was so heavy.

On the piste was quite weird in places, but at least anywhere with some gradient was not too bad.

As ever with my posts, you have to take on board that I'm quite fussy with regard to conditions, but both of us called it a day after three runs, and even discussed briefly taking the gondola down.

Evidently was fun for a couple of hours first thing this morning.

Even though it was lunchtime, the Mountain was bizarrely empty, though must have been busy this morning in the limited viz with groups as many of our stashes were quite skied out.

And should add we had a massive storm last evening, the whole works, hail, squalls, torrential rain, and temps +8 at 22:30

La Grave is always an option but my friends were in the line yesterday at 08:30 and the lift didn't open until 10:30 and then they said the lift was really busy, plus Chancel side was not good, so most skied Vallons; the snow was very good in places they said, but I'm glad I didn't go, would have done my head in.

But now we're trying to think what to do tomorrow, very much a case of Wait & See.
snow conditions
@weathercam, thanks you've saved me a day on my ski a la carte Laughing I'll get out tomorrow and the coming days instead of rushing up for a short-ish session this afternoon.

Surprised to hear how heavy the snow is above 2,000m in the trees. I was gunning to get out this morning but couldn't make it happen with work plus Prorel 2 not running means I have to drive to Chantemerle adding to an already tight schedule. It looked like Prorel 1 didn't run until closer to 10am, and Vauban looked like it's in an even worse state after last nights storm.

Montgenevre looked really busy at the weekend, they may have faired better in last nights storm. Still quite a bit to travel for folks that are here for a week of skiing. Puzzled
snow report
@shredder, defo not worth wasting a day ski pass for just a couple of hours!

And now as the weather's cleared we have the resulting cold front blowing a strong N/NW'ly.

Just back from what was meant to be a simple hike with the dogs up behind us and turned into a real technical one, as the descent was still snow-bound in a lot of places and Ullr, who is still on the lead, pulling like mad to go after one of the Jacks off on a scent.
snow conditions
We spent the day at Puy Saint Vincent today instead of Serre Che, not sure it was much better.

Started off with a bit of stress as apparently you need to visit a Serre Che ticket office before going to PSV to redeem your day from the 6 day Serre Che pass. I read the website as you need to visit the PSV station which I dutifully did to be told “Non”. Thankfully the Serre Che ticket staff were really helpful on the phone and managed to email the PSV staff whatever paperwork they needed. Saved me a grumpy drive back up the valley.

Pretty grim morning, fresh wet snow on an icy base lower down, zero vis higher up. Overall pretty soggy.
Eventually the snow and cloud lifted for a couple hours of sunshine but by that time the legs were gone. Some fresh powder up high but heavy from probably 2500m down. Vis must have put a lot of people off as it didn’t get tracked out until mid afternoon.
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
@shredder, don't bother!

@kenX, and I went up just after Noon, and were quite optimistic as to what we might expect.

On the piste was quite weird in places, but at least anywhere with some gradient was not too bad.

Even though it was lunchtime, the Mountain was bizarrely empty, though must have been busy this morning in the limited viz with groups as many of our stashes were quite skied out.

Sounds like you might need to improve your stash knowledge wink And advising people not to go out rolling eyes

Place was errily quiet though!
latest report
@Sowler, yes it sounds like they were on a different mountain Puzzled Laughing

Off the back of cucumelle was superb this afternoon: GS turns the whole way to the tree line. It was a bit bobbins low down but hey ho it’s warm! Laughing
snow report
Maybe we just have higher standards Laughing

And that guy was not going up till the afternoon! So not worth wasting a day pass when you're here for longer than just a week.

Could understand Happy Valley being good at the top, but then not much fun once in the trees lower down, also not too sure I'd go down any way given the current risk conditions?

That said, it's a lot safer than Montagnolle, especially tomorrow after all this wind?

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 14-03-23 21:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Yeah, sorry to say, @shredder, but @Weathercam's advice probably robbed you of an epic afternoon snowHead

Weathercam wrote:
As ever with my posts, you have to take on board that I can't really ski anything but perfect conditions, but I'm here for more than a week which makes me not a numpty like everyone else is.
FIFY
snow report
I was balls deep and that was before the epic pow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy