Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
We're booked in Les Arcs later this season - enjoy! We're in Plan Peisey and looking forward to it. Booked a while back now, plus we're stuck with Easter Holidays due to children still being at school.

We've gone for the Paradiski pass again, which is what we had last Easter when we were in La Plagne. It gives options in terms of pistes, as the lower down stuff was a bit horrible and closed.

I'd quite like to go back to Serre Che... We tend to do a couple of trips to the same resort back to back and then look around for somewhere else to go. Although Canada + America + Japan has piqued my interest + Sweden - reading about it.

I would have liked to grab an extra trip before the end of the season, but weeks and weekends are filling up rapidly with other stuff..
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So Pointless will really live up to its name, which I explained to the Lady Mairie this morning who was there just as I was going XC.

It shuts down March 6th, I was shown the plans, as I'd heard a nasty rumour of a multi-storey car park but that's not happening, though I was not allowed to take a photo of them.

It's going to be a big project from the looks of things, Mat who runs the cafe next door doesn't seem too worried about how it will impact him.

The first day in a very long while without blue sky and sunshine, so it was a bit weird with the flat light on the XC piste and does not look too good for the foreseeable future with only light snow flurries and forecast not showing anything substantial now out to March 4th.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like how snowresort.info puts it https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/serre-chevalier-brianconchantemerlevilleneuve-la-sallele-monetier-les-bains/ski-lifts/ - I recall some pretty interesting lifts! It's part of the charm.

Quote:

In the Serre Chevalier ski resort, there is a mixture of modern and nostalgic lifts.

Quote:

Pointless
Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@silentice, Pointless is really named Pontillas. At the moment it doesn't really go anywhere after they removed another lift below it, and replaced it with one above it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Hells Bells, ahh thanks, funny I noticed that lift on the map and wondered what it's for! I assumed the map was inaccurate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@silentice, you can go up, and then straight back down the Bez piste, but other than that a waste of times as you have to ski across to Casse de Beouf to go anywhere.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Hells Bells, it's still actually been quite useful as it saves the massive ballache of finding somewhere to park near Frejus unless of course you're going for 08:30 CDB lift, we just rock up at CDB and use our &joy.

The new lift will be a super fast gondola with far greater capacity ready for the new developments being built along the river up to where the Ice racing circuit was.

It will arrive up on the plateau where the double Col de Mea drags are.

Not too sure when they'll decommission Frejus bubble?

Weather has been minging the past four hours or so Sad
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski resort.info was implying Mea was being replaced by a chair, is that happening too?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
silentice wrote:
Ski resort.info was implying Mea was being replaced by a chair, is that happening too?

Maybe in the very long term, but they have much more scheduled in advance of that, plus at the top, it can get windy, hence the two drags, as the one on the right is shorter is not as wind affected.

A little more sunshine around than I initially thought this morning, and did think maybe I should have done first lifts to "rip" the fresh, but the Cucumelle webcam is showing a couple of cms at best!

https://www.skaping.com/serre-chevalier/cucumelle

So looks like XC again this morning, but think I'll wait a while as they posted a message on FB* last night warning how conditions will be very icy first thing, after the evenings rain would have frozen and much the same story on the lower pistes - so even more of a good reason not to have done first lifts as last time we skied, and were first down CDB in conditions like that, the OH slid a long way after losing a ski, and going back up on the chair straight afterwards we could not see the tracks of our ski edges as it was so hard n'icy Shocked

Took my daughter and OH a few days to get back on their horses and ski CDB again after that episode Laughing

*Attention tout de même ce matin : les pistes sont un peu gelées. Pour cause : les petites averses d'hier soir...
Privilégiez votre sortie à partir de 10h le temps que la neige se radoucisse.
Cela vaut aussi pour les pistes piétonnes ! Redoublez de vigilance !
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

que la neige se radoucisse

elegant French!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pam w, I only copied it from their FB but I pretty well have to use Google Translate all the time with their posts, trouble is, it's there today and gone tomorrow with me Laughing

Right hopefully a bit of "radoucisse" has been going on, let's go and find out!

Also looks like Queyras might be getting a substantial dump, check out Abries / Ristolas on your favourite forecast sites and look at Mon/Tues and then guess when I'm driving to Oulx rolling eyes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam wrote:

Also looks like Queyras might be getting a substantial dump, check out Abries / Ristolas on your favourite forecast sites and look at Mon/Tues and then guess when I'm driving to Oulx rolling eyes

Is that any good for La Grave?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, no wrong side of the Lautaret which will block it, we're only just on the borders hence we might be lucky to get 10-15
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eps wrote:
We're booked in Les Arcs later this season - enjoy! We're in Plan Peisey and looking forward to it. Booked a while back now, plus we're stuck with Easter Holidays due to children still being at school.

We've gone for the Paradiski pass again, which is what we had last Easter when we were in La Plagne. It gives options in terms of pistes, as the lower down stuff was a bit horrible and closed.

I'd quite like to go back to Serre Che... We tend to do a couple of trips to the same resort back to back and then look around for somewhere else to go. Although Canada + America + Japan has piqued my interest + Sweden - reading about it.

I would have liked to grab an extra trip before the end of the season, but weeks and weekends are filling up rapidly with other stuff..

I'm going for the Paradiski pass too. I've been to La Plagne loads but not sure I ever made it to les Arcs, I always stayed at La Plagne 1800 and it's a bit of a trek to get over and back in a day. This time we're staying in Vallandry though so are right next to the Vanoise Express, so getting to La Plagne and having a decent amount of time to spend there seems to be ok.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unfortunately, the snow that was heading our way via the Retour d'Est over Queyras has now dissipated and we'll be lucky to see a dribble over Sunday.

I'm doing first lifts, if only to take a break from XC, as certain people have bought new slalom skis Toofy Grin

But the light is very flat. I don't mind any fresh snow as long as it's sunny, but drab grey and no snow is none too motivating.
snow report
Quote:

But the light is very flat. I don't mind any fresh snow as long as it's sunny, but drab grey and no snow is none too motivating.

I feel exactly the same - it's old age, @Weathercam. Back in the day we'd have been out in anything!!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I feel exactly the same - it's old age, @Weathercam. Back in the day we'd have been out in anything!!

Mmmm not quite the same; maybe I should have explained a little more.

Three of us were going up the hill for first lifts for a Carv session, and the flat light means no matter how hard you're trying you're not going to better your previous score set in much better conditions, hence not too motivating.

As @KenX, might corroborate, it was not for the lack of trying on my part, in quite spectacular fashion, definitely not acting my age Laughing
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
as certain people have bought new slalom skis Toofy Grin

What have you gone for?
latest report
Quote:

definitely not acting my age

I knew that would press your buttons, @Weathercam. Laughing I do like to improve my skiing - might fix up a private lesson in Italy next week. But my major motivation is to be up a mountain in the sun - hence a flat light cloudy day, especially if it's a cold one, will probably see me doing a couple of runs then spending two hours in a restaurant.
snow report
swskier wrote:
Weathercam wrote:
as certain people have bought new slalom skis Toofy Grin

What have you gone for?

Pas moi Toofy Grin

Do you hear the one about two skiers just getting into Carv, and then one decides he should get a new pair of skis to maybe help his edging etc and the other guy says I'll go with you to the shop and help you choose, and then guess the outcome Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam, ahhh a little bit of competition between you both. I have a pair of 165 FIS SL's I did my Level 2 instructor course on and I was really able to crank them over, so you might find yourself falling down the pack and back in the shop buying your own pair! Laughing
snow conditions
@swskier, he was the first to buy a pair of CARV improvers!!!
snow report
@KenX, we need a mass SH's CARV gathering and a suitable piste to battle against each other!
latest report
@swskier, be careful you'll be upsetting the Woke brigade on here that takes a dim view of being competitive Laughing

We now actually have a fourth, non-SH and he is hooked, in fact, it was he who yesterday initially fancied a new pair of skis Toofy Grin

So that's now four of us, including the OH who have gone and bought Carving skis.

I was hoping that @KenX's purchase would invoke Sod's law and we'll be wallowing around in 30cms of fresh, but that's not to be.

Tomorrow hopefully should be like the last few Saturdays and will be much quieter up the hill and sunny so I might actually use the Meadows to do some drills as will be devoid of groups, though will depend on Friday night beers etc

That said did brighten up a lot around Noon and the snow certainly softened up very quickly to nigh on rotten snow in places, as the dogs found out, suddenly sinking through the snow Laughing
snow report
@Weathercam, nah, you'll be upsetting the actual competitive people who know that CARV is just like Strava Laughing . A fun willy-waving tool for people too scared to race, but a long way from being a proper competition Twisted Evil
snow report
@leggyblonde, perhaps this will be the start of @Weathercam's Masters career?
snow conditions
@swskier, slalom + XC combined!
snow report
@leggyblonde, don't forget the E-MTB as well Laughing

And as luck would have it I've just written a feature on "How to use an E-Mtb to go ski-touring"

https://stylealtitude.com/emtb-ebike-ski-touring.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
leggyblonde wrote:
@swskier, slalom + XC combined!

Swap it for GS, and add in a DH, and he's all set for this...

https://www.inferno-muerren.ch/en
snow conditions
@Weathercam, love it!

Really hoping I can do this again in a couple of weeks:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbVgb3uNRb3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
latest report
leggyblonde wrote:
@Weathercam, love it!

Really hoping I can do this again in a couple of weeks:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CbVgb3uNRb3/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Yes I remember you did that, just hope that conditions get better here, but if not maybe that's the only way you'll get to ride, at least some untracked.

XC will not be an option you'll be glad to hear, as if we get no fresh snow by the time you all arrive I can see that going Sad
snow conditions
Fingers crossed for snow and lower temps snowHead https://wepowder.com/en/la-salle-les-alpes#l-eychauda
snow conditions
swskier wrote:
@leggyblonde, perhaps this will be the start of @Weathercam's Masters career?

There is a whole week of Masters races in Serre Chevalier starting on the 13th of March.
latest report
Well, we enter races in the Summer here so why not Laughing

OH does really well in her age category for running up the Granon.

Though think I might actually do better at XC rather than hurtling down a piste as I don't quite have the heritage* that I suspect most still have.

Up the hill first thing, this morning and the light was a bit flat but gradually became better.

Pistes were blissfully quiet and it was quite easy to have whole stretches of piste to yourself.

By around Noon became a lot busier as maybe those who had arrived early got their shite together and made it up the hill.

Think tomorrow will be back to XC if conditions are not too minging.

As for the forecast, it really looks like we're just on the edge of the weather system, which often happens, and even Montgenevre seems this time around to miss out on double-figure accumulations whereas if you look at Prali and then further South, the forecast for Limone Piemonte is 75cms!

So everyone is trying to be optimistic and hoping that the system might move 25km but I think that is unlikely, though would love to be proved wrong.

Was experimenting with the 360 today.

*cojones
latest report
Weathercam wrote:
Though think I might actually do better at XC rather than hurtling down a piste as I don't quite have the heritage that I suspect most have.

The same system covers XC and Alpine in France.

You need a medical certificate then get a "Licence Carte Neige" though a club, you can search for a club on the FFS website.
snow conditions
@rjs, we have the certificates which you need to compete in any sporting event here, my French Dr specifically wrote Mountain activities as well!

I was just Googling events and I missed one a couple of weeks ago, fortunate Laughing

We passed on the big Snow Trail event in January as conditions were treacherous even with crampons, was just not worth it.
snow report
This morning, not a cloud in the sky and I grabbed a quick XC sortie before the weather that was forecast closed in, strong head-wind going out, but one hell of a tailwind for the return, and a tuck position on skinny XC skis gets the sphincter going especially with a bend in sight Laughing

Now as I type this we have snow flurries and most forecasts are predicting 5-10cm, with still the bulk of the accumulations in Piedmont, Clavierre has double to what we're forecast to have.

Webcam is now focused on the terrace so you can see what's happening.

And as I mentioned above I was experimenting with different angles using the GoPro 360 and a different pole position, and it gives you a better/different view of the piste etc

http://youtube.com/v/atRcqlsRBX4
snow report
Just maybe they'll be circa 5cms up top, but even then looking at the Cucumelle webcam I doubt it?

I've just been looking at Claviere webcam in the center https://www.webcamvialattea.it/webcam/atl/ and that doesn't look too encouraging either.

I was thinking of taking eMTB and driving/parking at Cervieres and riding up to Les Fonts to see what the snow was like to do a little dust on crust ski-tour but not too sure about that either now as light very flat.

And clutching at straws time, look what's cropped up at the end of the ten-day forecast, as I know there might be one or two SH's taking an interest Toofy Grin

At least a more unsettled picture going forward

Terrace webcam now focused on the sparrows

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:

And clutching at straws time, look what's cropped up at the end of the ten-day forecast, as I know there might be one or two SH's taking an interest Toofy Grin

I'm trying not to look... without much success rolling eyes

I saw similar but we know better than trust forecasts that far out.

PS. Hate the distortion on the wide angle shots.
snow conditions
adithorp wrote:
.....PS. Hate the distortion on the wide angle shots.....

I know you do, and I especially thought of you when I was feckin around Laughing

But it does provide a unique view of the piste, which you might just have to get use to should this drought carry on, but for the life of me there has to be some snow at the end of the tunnel !!

If it's any consolation, we bought and moved in here second week of March 2013, and there was the Mother of all dumps, mind you so much snow that nigh on all the lifts were closed for a day, but the volume was staggering.

Off out to rip the XC piste Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy