Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2022/2023

Poster: A snowHead
Tour was a shitshow, wind destroyed a lot of the fresh snow and pistes have been a little icey in places. Saturday was carnage with me skiing past two body bags and a third needing attention (piste patrol were there attending to everyone).

Was thinking of a potential powder day tomorrow but the avy forecast is 4 tomorrow so I have a feeling a lot of the higher up lifts will possibly be shut? Maybe others can share knowledge on how the resort usually is when the avy forecast is so high

edit: sanity check.. is the area I should be looking at queyras (avy forecast 4) or pelvoux (avy forecast 3 and a lot less snow expected)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How is the snow holding up over there? We've been at les Deux Alpes and Alpes d'Huez the last couple of days, and they are both really wind effected. To the point off piste that hasn't been skied a lot and had the crust broken is almost unskiable. But I'm hearing the snow is better in SC right now, so thinking of making a trek over there. Any reports?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went for a tour today, think it will depend a lot on which aspect you ski. The north facing stuff was in good nick high up, bit heavy through the trees. South facing was more like spring snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks! Either of those sounds preferable to breakable wind crust! Eh oh! So if north is good, Montagnolle might be in decent shape?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Timmaah, At what altitude did it become heavy?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Christopher, 2000-2100m, by heavy.. i mean heavy in comparison to what I expected given what the temperatures were but probably normal for the Alps. Not the super dry powder of a couple weeks ago. @TOLOCOMAN, haven't skied it but I saw a few groups out there on Wednesday
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we missed the latest dump, and @Timmaah, yes the Queyras would have been a good road-trip option as St Veran had over a meter, and friends were touring Abries yesterday, or was it the day before?

We've been in La Clusaz for most of the week, yesterday went up the hill to do some Carv piste skiing and was amazed at how tracked out some of the less known off-piste routes were, but then I started to notice more groups of free-riders with guides and that fitted in with what a good friend from La Grave was saying as to how wind-blown it was on that side which is so often the case and works both ways.

The pistes were in great condition and it did get progressively busier as the weekenders arrived early.

This morning I opted for first-tracks cross-country and the van was reading -12.5 - the piste looked in fabulous condition but my skis just did not want to glide and it was really hard work which had me questioning whether leaving my skis flat on the floor had been affected by the underfloor heating somehow, but then that only runs at around +12.

Coming back from Le Casset to Monetier they were running much better and I was able to judge if it was the snow or me by others out, and my times showed that something was up, and the shop confirmed that the snow was just too cold for good gliding, so they're getting re-waxed.

Outlook is not that brilliant for snow, but plenty of sunshine, though some strong winds on a few days; maybe some Spring touring on offer?

Pretty picture, that's if you're into drooling over xc-pistes Laughing

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Was very windy yesterday, and as ever I fear a lot of damage to the off-piste.

Lower down in the lee of the wind the pistes were glorious, though did tweak my hamstring loosing an edge on the windblown boiler-plate but some very nice skiing with onboard coaching via Carv.

http://youtube.com/v/t0cStyWJZhk
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Weathercam, Wow, can't wait.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@TOLOCOMAN, went down it on Friday, and it was great!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm. Must have got hit hard that day! Because we did it Saturday and was almost a mogul field!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@joffy69, @TOLOCOMAN, like I said above, I saw many groups over from La Grave and elsewhere on Friday as over that way, LDA, ADH very wind affected, hence everywhere nigh on skied out now.

Always the way, no wind here, but windy on the other side of the Col, and vice versa.

Off piste here now shagged after yesterday's wind.

Think I've only done a couple of tours in January rolling eyes

It's not been a good touring / slack country season thankfully I do other stuff to strect me as it were.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yeah, still had some semi decent snow off piste for a couple of days, but today was a groomer day for sure. Still had fun checking the place out for the first time. Staying in le Bez, and walking cobbled streets past the church and town fountain to and from the slopes is an experience we just don't get in North America!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@TOLOCOMAN, yes Le Bez is nice, we live directly opposite on the other side so at 15:30 when you're in shade we're sunbathing on our terrace Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any recommendations for rugby showing in Chantemerle today?
ski holidays
@RetroBod, the Playoff sports bar on the main road
snow report
KenX wrote:
@RetroBod, the Playoff sports bar on the main road
Thanks Ken spotted it on the way up to the hotel! Stunning weather today!
ski holidays
Well does not look as busy as expected?

Taking the usual barometer of the residences parking areas they're not rammed, and speaking to a friend last evening in the 1420 watching the rugby, and again that was not busy, she said that the tourist office has said numbers are not what they were hoping.

And her chalet is empty this week, which is amazing! That said she said it was because the Parisians don't like coming this far South, and I've just checked the calendar and Paris is not on hols until the 19th rolling eyes

Someone also said pistes were quiet yesterday, the first Saturday that they have been like that in 4 weeks, now is that because we're now back to Sat to-Sat transfers and not AirBnb weekenders ?

Forecast is varied for next week, not brilliant for off-piste junkies and I imagine with the extra traffic pistes will be hard boiler plate in places, but still great holiday conditions.

Think I'll go with XC if this damn wind finally eases, six days of piste skiing and my fitness levels have plummeted, me and the Mrs even ran a 10km yesterday Laughing

Ullr update

He had his operation just over two weeks ago, and went to vet Friday, and X-ray did not show up anything untoward, though he'll forward that on to the surgeon in Gap. And finally, the bandages are off, the issue now is to get him to try and weight bear and not hop around on three legs and get used to that.

So gentle stretching and massage and fortunately we have a laser that we can use which should aid the healing process, but it's early days and he could still be in pain with it and not trust the leg.
snow report
@Weathercam, lots of apartments i our residence are empty this week too, people from Région A do not usually choose Serre Che as their ski resort for February. We get loads of Parisians and they are weeks 3 and 4 I think.
snow conditions
Good news on Ullr
latest report
@davidof, thanks

So another cold week, and thankfully the wind has eased, and it's not that busy.

Yesterday @KenX, and I did the early CDB chairlift which in the holidays starts at 08:30 and we skied nigh on empty pistes for a good 45 mins or so and then groups started to appear, we also had all over 3-4mm of fresh that just about covered the corduroy.

Then once back I finally got my derrière in gear which I've meant to for a while and went up Granon way on the E-mtb to see what the touring potential is like and the general state of the snow-pack, and dire is a word that springs to mind.

Video of that in the link below

https://stylealtitude.com/images/granon_road_snow.mp4

I have mates that have not bought ski-passes and they've been out and about and have endured horrible conditions; at least we can go up the hill and do cross-country.

It was quite an eventful day in the end and I had three near misses where I could have ended up in the hospital, more in the blog here, and my run-in with the PGHM atop the Granon Laughing

https://stylealtitude.com/tricky-conditions-getting-the-better-of-me.html

The game plan was to go up the hill and maybe ski softer snow at lunchtime but it was still -1 so we bailed on that idea and I went XC instead.

Friends said how it was very cold up there, but still managed a lunch outside on the terrace of the Peyra Juana in the sunshine.

FWIW outlook is great next week for the holidays, pistes in great condition, nice and warm during the day, almost too Spring-like, but maybe best getting out early; but after my recent excursion I'm really not too sure about what the off-piste potential will be, with no snow forecast and what snow is around is very wind affected (sastrugi) it's going to take a lot of warm weather to smooth it all down, add to that lots of groups out and about even the more remote areas will be busy I suspect.

If you're super keen then strap the skis to the back and hike for 90mins could be the only option, or take up cross-country skating Laughing
snow report
Having just returned from a fabulous week in Serre Che I was reminiscing with my father about our school trip in 1979 and 1980. Sadly he didn’t keep the piste map but I wondered if I reached out on here to see if anyone has or can put their hands on a scan of a piste map from that era? Long shot I know but worth a try!
snow report
@RetroBod, Try here - https://skimap.org/SkiAreas/view/692
This is from 1985
snow report
@geoffers, perfect.
snow report
There's not been an update for a while, so here goes.

Last week, bearing in mind it was the first week of the holidays was bizarrely quiet, and the pistes were in great condition, and even better for longer if you took the 08:30 lift(s).

Combine that with some excellent cross-country conditions as the wind eased as it a was pretty good week all things considered.

Unfortunately, it was also very cold, so that meant no real spring snow, though I know a few people that went looking for and didn't have a lot of luck.

Saturday there were rumours of a lift strike in the morning that never happened but I'd decided on taking the e-mtb up the Les Fonts valley, leaving the van at Cevieres to take a look at the snow.

When I arrived there, it was really busy, and the XC piste was open up on the South side and there was a fair number of people going up, even families with children, which is hugely impressive as I don't think I could skate up that first climb.

I was a tad worried about being on the piste on the bike, but in fact, the tyres didn't cut the piste up at all and hardly left a trace, and when they did you'd think it was made by the dameuse, but lucky I didn't have Ullr as I think he would not have gone down too well.

Just that cross-country skiers get very fussy about people cutting the piste up, and at the busy holiday time it frequently happens as pedestrians either don't realise or choose to ignore the signs, it's really bad either side of Monetier.

As you can see plenty of snow though it too was very wind affected and will take a good three or four days of the current warm temps & subsequent freeze thaw to smooth things out, but I think it's an option for later this week hopefully.

Some nice lines below the Crete (Italian frontier) but not quite South facing.

Then Sunday everywhere suddenly became far busier though I opted for an early morning XC and had the fresh corduroy more or less to myself for an hour or so.

And then once back relaxed on the terrace as the thermometer hit 18.5, though the sensor was in direct sunshine.

With similar forecasts for today, I prepped the road bike up and cycled up to the Lautaret to take a look, and all the ski-tour routes were pretty skied out, and where it wasn't the snow was in really bad condition, or simply wasn't there rolling eyes

I rode at lunchtime and it was blissfully quiet, though still very cold on the descent.

As for the forecast, there is no fresh snow on the horizon, the best option as ever if piste skiing is to get up there early, as I think if you opt to ski over lunchtime with the increased volume of people it could well be boilerplate by then.

Now I have to workout if I can tow Elaine up behind the e-mtb to access Les Fonts later in the week.
latest report
Great round up @Weathercam, covering piste, langlauf and off - piste.
snow conditions
Hi, a question for the locals if you don't mind. I intend to visit week of 11th March (solo) and I'm wondering about companies offering shared transfers to/from Turin. I was aware of https://www.linkbus-alps.com/en/ but they don't appear to be running this year, and see that SnowCabs do a shared option - having contacted them they only have an early morning coach on the return leg; my ideal flight is at 7pm so would rather avoid a day in the airport. Is anyone aware of any other options, even public transport? Staying in Villeneuve but could make my way on the Navette for example if there's something from Briancon.
latest report
@silentice, unfortunately, travel options to and from Serre to any airport is fraught with frustration. SnowCab's are the best bet, maybe they could drop you off in Oulx and then you get the train to Turin and spend some time there before going out to the airport?

So yesterday being Valentine's day we decided (I did) on trying to find some off-piste slack-country Spring snow, on the basis that I knew all the main ski-tour routes after my ride up to the Lautaret were pretty well trashed, and hopefully off the back of the resort would offer some potential.

Our first plan was to go up from Monetier to take the Yret chair and then do a line off there towards Chambran. But we could not find a parking place anywhere, the whole place at 11:00 was totally rammed and some classic cases of parking as only the Frenchies are capable of.

So then we headed back to Pointless and then up and down and finally we decided on the Eychauda drag to see what the options were off the back there, but it looked very wind affected.

We then skied along the ridge, looking at options before finally deciding on taking a look off the back of the Col de Mea.

And it's always good when there are a few other skiers there taking in the view as we say Bonjour and then head off down as we say our goodbyes Toofy Grin

Snow was a tad undercooked as there was a bit of a chill wind but we found some good corn to ski.

Our game plan was to carry on until the snow ran-out or it was no longer fun, as we would then skin up the way we skied down, or if we were to carry on down into the Chambran valley then skin back up to the Col de Frejus and to the Cucumelle chair, which is what we ended up doing.

In the valley, we come down from the ridge left in the picture traversing to get to that point to put skins on.

Col de Frejus - you can just about see the Cucumelle chair.

And then from there we skin/traverse across to the chair, before joining the holiday hordes, and at 15:30 atop Vallons it was the busiest I've ever seen it and the piste was nigh on scraped off all snow, not a lot of fun on my lightweight touring skis, and then combine that with 50% of skiers skiing out of control and no way could they stop if they had to, madness Shocked

Our only saviour this time of the year is the Joy pass, which is a separate lift line for those that have paid an extortionate rate for their season pass or as an add-on to their holiski so we bypass all the queues, and do you feel elite or what Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks, I saw there was an earlier discussion about Serre Che being a hidden gem and that layer of complexity must help!

I just had a look at car rental prices and it's suspiciously cheap, around £50 for a week for a 'fiesta' - perhaps another £50-60 for fuel, tolls and excess insurance and it's roughly breakeven for a transfer. Seems too good to be true, am I missing something? I'll have free parking but I can't book so that's a possible snag, and if the weather isn't great I'll need appropriate snow equipment.

Edit: the catch is of course, cross border fees twice the price of the rental. And perhaps winterisation fees. rolling eyes
snow conditions
GemGar wrote:
Good morning,

We are a large group and have 5 spare spots on our discounted lift passes through ouik!
2 x 3 day passes for 12-14th March & 15-17th March.

Hopefully we can help each other and get the 6 day pass down to €112 for 3 days 12-14th & €122.8 for 3 days 15-18th!

Blush Bluebirds for all!

Here are the links

11-14th
2 spots available:
https://www.ouik-serrechevalier.ski/group/ord_637318bc-96b2-46ba-aa74-0c13f44b8a37

11-14th
3 spots available:
https://www.ouik-serrechevalier.ski/group/ord_bdeb1806-878a-4226-bc43-40a9e95e30bc

15-17th
2 spots available:
https://www.ouik-serrechevalier.ski/group/ord_a888047d-71a2-434c-9f6f-807f3490c574

15-17th
3 spots available:
https://www.ouik-serrechevalier.ski/group/ord_cfdc0ea1-34e1-4833-8ace-e99f2f8ab335

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sun 19-02-23 9:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@GemGar, welcome to snowHeads, a week or so too early for us, but a great offer.
@silentice, are these cross-corder fees new? We've never paid them from Turin, but then it is a while since we hired a car. I wonder if it is something that has happened post-pandemic when lots of cars ended up in France when Italy locked down?
latest report
Update time, and really bizarre as I was about to type that this coming week we'll see a return to more wintry conditions; and I just thought I'd check the forecast again to find it's all changed, and not just the snowfall but temperatures as well rolling eyes

Ironically the forecast now has snow for the week after just as my OH returns, as she did initially look set to miss next week as she goes back to the UK & elsewhere.

Think it's going to be a very busy week up the hill but conditions for piste skiing and restaurant terraces look set to be lovely again.

After Tuesday's slack-country I used the eMTB to go further afield up the Les Fonts valley, leaving the bike at Les Chalps and ski-touring up to the Italian frontier, but the snow was not brilliant, but as ever a great day out.

http://youtube.com/v/ZYyFmF7yGLU

Then as we knew it would be quieter yesterday, we opted for more of the same slack-country that we did earlier in the week, and was a much better sortie all around, even coming back on the piste!

http://youtube.com/v/GfsaSbVUI9s

Off out now for some cross-country.
snow report
Hells Bells wrote:
@GemGar, welcome to snowHeads, a week or so too early for us, but a great offer.
@silentice, are these cross-corder fees new? We've never paid them from Turin, but then it is a while since we hired a car. I wonder if it is something that has happened post-pandemic when lots of cars ended up in France when Italy locked down?

@Hells Bells I've seen it before with other locations, but as always you have to read the small print. Some of the companies say no travel at all outside italy, and/or have fees for snow chains. A bit tedious as it's not just the cheapest ones. In the end I found a few who have both for free and were at the lower side. Also I think this usual shenanigans but watch out for categories, I don't know what size car you want but noticed a few companies list Fiat 500 or Panda alongside larger cars like Fiesta, 208 etc in the same category. Also I booked direct (I went for Drivalia) which was quite a bit cheaper than the cheapest agency listed on Sky scanner with the same agency.
latest report
@silentice, fortunately, I'll be driving there, so no need for a hire car, but as I rent out a property in Serre Chevalier, and have guests sometimes flying in from the UK (most of them since the pandemic have been French), I am always interested in pricing of things such as transfers and car hire. I lost a booking recently when a potential client was unable to find suitable transport.
snow report
We were first on the CDB chair at 08:30 this morning and had 90 mins of good skiing before more and more people appeared everywhere. We skied around the Gauther sector and it's all in great condition, even took the Eychauda drag up as I wanted to take a look off the back in a couple of places.

Ski back down Le Bez was great and was softening up even at 10:00 and when we arrived near the Chazelet we could see the queue winding it's way out of the Frejus gondola and the CDB queue was huge as you can see, but you can see the advantages of having the &joy pass!

And then an hour later dog hike in shorts & T as so warm !

And Ullr doing really well the last couple of days, using all four legs more and more (50%) as opposed to hopping around on 3, though still a long way to go, as we're only just over four weeks post-op and he's not allowed off the lead for another couple of months.

latest report
Serre Chevalier has come up as an option for my group for a visit the w/c 12th March. I've never been before, or heard much about it, how do people rate the resort? Also what's the condition of the snow? I hear some might be forecast for later this week, does that include SC? Thanks.
snow report
It's okay, from what I remember.. Although that was around 18-19 years ago. I think we used the bus a couple of times, to get to the 'right' valley. It used to be included in your lift pass - which I'd hope it still is.

Casse de Boeuf stands out as a great piste, if I remember rightly. Although not overly challenging, but as always it depends on the snow cover and traffic. The Alphand run was good fun, although again a bit under challenging if I remember correctly.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Serre-Chevalier/6day/mid for forecast. It looks like they will get some snow in 4-5 days time, but as always is subject to change, etc..

I think we had a great time and skied over the top from Monetier back to Villeneuve on a few of the days, but it was an almost complete white out at that point in time - could only see one piste marker pole at a time and at times didn't know if I was skiing downhill or uphill!! Very disorientating.

Nice little villages with tree lined runs in places and some good runs, with options. I think we were in Villeneuve the first time and then on the other side of the road the next time.. So a bit of a trek and/or bus journey. The lifts were a bit old - but may well have been updated since then and the eggs were quite old as well. Here is usually good for info. about resorts https://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/resorts/SerreChevalier/ quite a lot of info. about lifts being replaced or enlarged.

We had a good time and visited twice so can't have been bad!!
snow report
@Johnnyseven, lots of lifts have been updated since @eps, visited the resort last, including eggs and chairs replacing drags.
Current snow conditions are posted just above yours. It's a less well known resort for British skiers, but there are many devotees. More of a French feel to it, and very friendly. I must like it, I bought a place here 17 years ago after a couple of holidays. Snow should be OK in mid-March, snowHeads has an off-piste week at that time every year. I'm off out a week later.
snow report
@Johnnyseven, probably the best testimonial to Serre Che is that a large number of SnowHeads have been coming here for a number of years around the same time that you are considering.

I have lived here the past ten seasons, but prior to that I always came around the same time as you for 3-4 weeks.

If you can provide what sort of package you're considering, where is it exactly, does it include transfers and what airport, plus what is the profile of your group (kids, piste, off-piste, cross country, walking) then we'll be able to give you, hopefully, info that will be helpful to you.

As for the forecast I wouldn't be making a decision based on that, but as I've mentioned snow here, at least on piste, is some of the best in the French Alps given our altitude, in that you can see back into resort of good snow cover.

Ciao
snow conditions
Thanks to eps, Hells Bells and Weathercam for your comments. After spending the last 2 days trying to find accommodation for 5 people that didn't charge an extra 50% for the 5th person, I found somewhere in Les Arcs only for the 5th person to drop out when they realised how much a ski holiday was going to cost. Anyway, we now have a holiday booked in Les Arcs but from the comments above it sounds like SC would be a good place to visit in the future. The property I was looking at is called Hotel Mont Thabor, due to the odd number of people in our party it was the only one available to us in SC.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy