Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria for fussy eaters

Poster: A snowHead
Took the kids, late 20s lol, skiing for the first time skiing this year and they loved it. Splashed out for club med in La Plagne which was fabulous but realistically need to keep the cost down for next year since we will be footing the bill but also we fancy Austria. Any recommendations? Main issue is that two out of six of us are the world’s fussiest eaters so somewhere with a buffet for dinner would be good. Two very experienced, two relative newbies without fear and two nervous beginners so needs to be good for beginners without boring some of us to death.. Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Posidrive, specify fussy. Austrian food is pretty basic
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pasta, burgers or pizza is pretty much the limit. Does our head in because the rest of us will eat virtually anything.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Posidrive, the fussy eaters are in their late 20s?!?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You’ll be fine with pasta, hamburgers & pizza.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Posidrive, You can get pasta, burgers and pizzas pretty much anywhere. Maybe book a B&B or an apartment and then you are free to choose any restaurant or take-away in the evening.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they can cope with meat & potatoes and variations on that, they will be fine. Austrian cuisine is a good deal more varied than that but in the Tirol it is based on peasant fare. That said, like most places, vegan & vegetarian diets are popular with younger folk so that would be no issue either. The most popular lunch fare is (pork) schnitzel or sausage & chips! There is also Kaiserschmarn which is fed to tourists (and others) basically chopped up pancake with raisins & stewed apple. Of course there is also beer & schnapps Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I second what @Scarlet suggests. B&B or self cater and eat out. Self catering doesn’t have to involve doing your own cooking.
I have a daughter who is vegan and a daughter who is allergic to dairy (no milk butter cheese etc to the extent that it matters what oils have been used for frying and whether the bread contains dairy products - it usually does)
We have no difficulties in the Südtirol and I expect Austria to be equally good
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Posidrive wrote:
Took the kids, late 20s lol, /

they are - or should- be adults, able to make to find food for themselves without being breast / bottle fed by mum
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Pasta, burgers or pizza is pretty much the limit.

Is this the upper or lower limit. IE do they want better food than this and you are worried about the cost of feeding them? If so there is plenty of good food in Austria that doesn't cost the earth. A bowl of goulash springs to mind for example.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I thknk I know the answer. I reckon they eat only the (predominantly) junk food specified... Shocked
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
My brothers in law are like this. Much as I love them (and I do!), I go where Lady F and I want to, and if they come along, they need to fend for themselves. I certainly wouldn't plan a holiday around their inability to try anything new.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@red 27, with all due respect OP didn't ask your opinion on that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Define fussy?
I like German food. More meat based if they like pork, duck, etc. Quite a few potato based dishes.
Still the usual continental breakfast. Bread, ham, cheese, jam, cereal, yoghurt, etc.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
French bread doesn't contain milk! Neither does good quality English bread for that matter!
snow report
If Alpine cuisine (certainly AT, CH) caters to anyone, surely it’s “fussy eaters”. All the bread, pasta, potato, meat, and cheese you can possibly eat. We (somewhat jokingly) prepare for a week of famine each time we go.
ski holidays
Ischgl has a Burger King on the main street. Fire and Ice not far away does a good range of pizzas. Good resort for B&B
ski holidays
Quote:
red 27, with all due respect OP didn't ask your opinion on that
You're right - but red 27's response did make me laugh. Nothing to suggest it's the 20-odd year olds who are the fussy eaters though - it could be the old fogeys of the party wink
snow report
@Posidrive, As mentioned already, just book a B&B and eat out in the evenings. For example in Mayrhofen, there's a restaurant called Mo's that covers all the dishes you mention. Plus there's plenty of other restaurants that would cover your needs.

Mountain restaurants would also be fine for lunch too.

Honestly, Austrian food is nothing adventurous, they'll be just fine.
latest report
swskier wrote:
Honestly, Austrian food is nothing adventurous, they'll be just fine.

Indeed. Anyone who cooks something remotely interesting or slightly adventurous immediately gets my repeat custom!
snow conditions
I could live on Tiroler Grostl . . ! Proper skiing food . . .always ask for an extra egg
snow conditions
@Posidrive, For pasta and pizza you'd be better off in Italy....
snow conditions
The simple answer is to self-cater. Or assume that adults will be able to cope perfectly well with feeding themselves. Or if you really want half-board, do a bit of research and contact hotels you are considering to enquire about the dining arrangements. Or stop stressing that a wealthy, western European country will be so outlandish that your grown children will not be able to find anything to eat.
ski holidays
@Belch, +1 yummo!
ski holidays
Another +1 for self catering, prefer this to B&B as you have access to kitchen facilities. You don't have to use them for all meals but rather have access to those.

I have one person who is lactose intolerant and a fussy daughter (sadly obsessed with ensuring she doesn't eat too many calories Crying or Very sad ) this works the best.

Although Austria also works the best us as she has found a love now for Goulash soup and Kaiserschmarrn and thank God Austria doesn't print calories on menus. We now can't eat out at all as she refuses everything on menu due to calorie count.
latest report
@swskier, only one place that needs visiting for food in Mayrhofen and that’s the Butchers Shop opposite Penken! If you can’t find food you live in there then you’re beyond help! Awesome.
snow report
Another vote for self catering. And let the fusspots stay home and cook themselves a burger while you explore some nice restaurants.
ski holidays
@jirac18, i'll check it out some time. I know where you mean, but we haven't been yet.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Posidrive, go to Italy and get a self-catered apartment near a pizzeria. If you're gonna eat pasta and pizza all week, you might as well get the good stuff. It'll be cheap too (6.50 euro for a proper margherita, 3 euro for a slice at our 'local').
snow report
jirac18 wrote:
@swskier, only one place that needs visiting for food in Mayrhofen and that’s the Butchers Shop opposite Penken! If you can’t find food you live in there then you’re beyond help! Awesome.

Plus 1 for the Butchers Shop where they weigh and fill (in my case crusty cob) with fantastic meat that's as cheap as chips. Best burger Goldkind and decent selection of tasty grub in Brasserie Q all within 50m of each other and the Happy End Bar Cool
latest report
@Uncle Rico, You must be wrong! Austria is such an exotic destination that it will be impossible to get a burger and 2 people in their late 20s will struggle to find anything that is not too foreign for their tastes....
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
@Uncle Rico, You must be wrong! Austria is such an exotic destination that it will be impossible to get a burger and 2 people in their late 20s will struggle to find anything that is not too foreign for their tastes....

My ever expanding waistline (unfortunately) begs to differ Smile
ski holidays
Good fast food burger joint opposite hotel magdalena.
ski holidays
If all else fails if they decided on Mayrhofen, they could always jump on a train to Schlitters and enjoy the delights of the golden arches!
latest report
Orwell wrote:
If Alpine cuisine (certainly AT, CH) caters to anyone, surely it’s “fussy eaters”. All the bread, pasta, potato, meat, and cheese you can possibly eat. We (somewhat jokingly) prepare for a week of famine each time we go.

Yeah, we always joke that's glorified baby food. Or not glorified. Soft, salty, fatty, sweet.

Sadly, because of a cholesterol issue, I actually can't really eat much in a typical alpine restaurant. I mostly go for a warm goat cheese salad.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy