Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

31st December - A Crazy busy week or post school holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Folks

I'm a long term lurker on Snowheads and have been conspicuous by absence since spending every waking minute last December checking for various Omicron related updates! Ended up with an unbelievable few days in December, but failed to get the family out at all last season.

For that second reason, we're looking at bringing the kids over on the 31st for a week, but i've just read a bunch of snowheads describing this as the busiest week of the year. Appreciating that this year is crazy changeover days due to the 24th and 31st falling on Saturdays, i wondered what people thought about how busy the resorts might be (we're looking at a couple of deals in Courchevel). The schools are typically going back in the middle of that week so i was rather hoping it might not be too bad.

We have a 6 and an 8 year-old, both of whom are pretty robust and have skied before at this time of year. Mostly in Montgenevre though where temperatures area little more friendly! Is Courchevel going to freeze em to death in early Jan as well?!

Any thoughts on the above would be very gratefully received.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
European school holidays run late this year - until 8/01 for many countries, so the 31st will be a peak week for many resorts with an EU clientele. UK centric resorts may be quieter.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Nadenoodle.

I had hoped (based on a little bit of googleage here https://publicholidays.fr/school-holidays/) that the French schools would at least be back, and I think most UK schools will be returning through that week (although some like us may take advantage of the half-week dynamic).

Half-term costs are too much for us, and i suspect that'll be crazy busy. And looking at 1st April (into Easter) the prices are similarly bonkers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@All in, You'll have seen this useful thread perhaps?

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939&highlight=holidays
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27

I hadn't seen it (perhaps i should have searched harder, but that is really super-helpful. I've clicked through to the source site (which has an insane amount of info! The Dutch LOVE stats!) and i'm taking this as positive......

"Just like last winter, the second week of the Christmas holidays (December 31 to January 7, 2023) is particularly quiet in the French Alps. The French no longer have a holiday and because ski resorts in France naturally attract many French people, there is a gap. Because it is so quiet from December 31 to January 7, good offers for France are likely to arrive"

Some of the comments on the site appear to confirm that this might be the case.

Thanks again for jumping on to respond. Much appreciated.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
One of the managers of the Dutch site (wintersport.nl) is married to a French lady and living in the Alps. He knows quite a bit. Cool
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like the Austrians, Dutch and a lot of Germany will still be on holiday that week, so Austria will be busy.

The Swiss are off too.

Italy will also be mad that week, the world and his mother(-in law...someone has to look after the kids!!) ski at New Year, so avoid! Shocked

France looks like a good bet as they're all back at school on Monday 2nd, just the Belgians and a few UK stragglers extending the half week. snowHead

Courchevel 1850 is one of the most expensive resorts in the Alps, so not surprising you are seeing high prices on peak weeks. There are cheaper places to go.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
luigi wrote:
Looks like the Austrians, Dutch and a lot of Germany will still be on holiday that week, so Austria will be busy.

The Swiss are off too.

Italy will also be mad that week, the world and his mother(-in law...someone has to look after the kids!!) ski at New Year, so avoid! Shocked

France looks like a good bet as they're all back at school on Monday 2nd, just the Belgians and a few UK stragglers extending the half week. snowHead

Courchevel 1850 is one of the most expensive resorts in the Alps, so not surprising you are seeing high prices on peak weeks. There are cheaper places to go.

We're looking at a very, very nice chalet (hot-tub etc) fully catered for less than £1,000 pp inc Heathrow flights and really good food/wine. I haven't found anything (decent and catered) anywhere elsein the French Alps for less. It's in 1550, but the Grangettes will get us up and down if we need it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@All in, that sounds like pretty good value any time to me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
All in wrote:
And looking at 1st April (into Easter) the prices are similarly bonkers!

Where are you looking?

Prices on 1st April will be way cheaper than new year or feb ht. I can guarantee that.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All in wrote:
We're looking at a very, very nice chalet (hot-tub etc) fully catered for less than £1,000 pp inc Heathrow flights and really good food/wine. I haven't found anything (decent and catered) anywhere elsein the French Alps for less. It's in 1550, but the Grangettes will get us up and down if we need it.

Seems like your budget is high end. If £1k pp is within your budget go for it. Good food/wine and the 3V on your doorstep is the best.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think Courchevel’s main market for that week might be unavailable too (if it includes Russian new year)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We’re back in Tignes that week. Prices are high. Our apartment in Le Taos is €3,750 - childcare is £990, your find seems to be good value!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@All in, don’t want to be a doom-monger but under £1,000 pp for a high-end, fully catered chalet, including travel, in a high peak week, does seem very cheap. Are you completely satisfied it’s kosher? Maybe put the web link here.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy