Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childcare in US / Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are thinking about trying North America this season and trying to work out how to arrange childcare.

My wife and I did the 11-week Non-Stop course in Fernie many moons ago (actually, just realised it's been 10 years... Sad Shocked) and the kids will be 4 and 7 come March.

I found a decade-old discussion on this topic, but wondered what the current wisdom is on taking kids to the US/Canada and whether it's possible to get wraparound childcare/skiing anywhere?

Last year we went with Esprit to Italy and both kids did lessons+creche/playgroup - where we could drop them off in the morning and pick them up at the end of the day.

Is there any company offering this sort of service the other side of the pond?

None of the package firms seem to mention childcare over there, so I'm thinking we're going to have to build our own - any hints/tips/suggestions gratefully received!

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think in Canada you have to build your own using the in resort facilities
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At 4 and 7 wouldn't they be skiing too? In which case get them into a group lesson (in Banff, for instance, lessons are, I think, 9-3, including lunch) and ski with them for the last part of the day. This would give you a decent day's skiing and give them a chance to show off what they can do - or take you down some of the tortuous trails their instructor knows. The only other place we've been in NA is Jasper and that was 10 years ago, but they had a crèche at the base back then
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, both will be skiing, but our 4 year old wouldn't cope with a full day of skiing.

We need to find some sort of creche with skiing, if they exist?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have a look at Whistler Kids. Ours started there at 3 and 5 at the Blackcomb base. They have a great indoor creche and snow garden where the kids can start to learn their skiing and play in the snow but can also go indoors if they are cold, need a drink/nap/loo. The 5 day camps are excellent as they get the same instructor and friends(from all over the world) for the week and a kids apres on a Wednesday that involved a lot of paint/glue/crisps. On a Friday afternoon the whole kids skischool parades down the mountain with their home made banners and they get a goodie bag and their progress card. Once they get going there is no holding them back and in 6 years they always loved their instructors and became excellent skiers. The day is 8.30 - 3.15ish and lunch/snacks are included. Staying at the Blackcomb base means you can pick them up and all get on the last chair for an end of day run down all together. There are also some more or less ski in/out condos with pools/hottubs etc on the Blackcomb side. Our last experience was 6 years ago but it was definitely a winning formula, if quite expensive, and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I got the impression from some locals that the Whistler Kids scheme was the cheapest form of child care in the resort. But that maybe due to local discounts or working for the company.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I don't know, because I don't have the assets, but I have seen lots of great looking child care in Canada. They seem to really look after kids, and teach them properly too. I spent some time photographing the day care stuff they have at Big White / Silver Star and, well, if I'd had kids, that's where I'd be parking them. With people who actually enjoy looking after kids. You can see what's on offer from the resorts' web sites I expect, or call/ email them - it's a service culture, they'll tell you what you need to know with a smile.

I've often been asked to look after children for their instructor when riding up alone on a chair lift. That's a surprise - as a single white non-poor male I understand that I'm seen as a huge threat to everyone not in that category. Not in BC, it seems.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The resort pages all have details about kids ski school and day care provision differs resort to resort.
Sun peaks ansd Silver Star both been great in the past, with kids being well looked after and making great progress.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm not aware of any ski resort of consequence in North America that does not appropriate essential "child care", whether in pure care form for toddlers, as well ski school as it were and care replete with food be same a breakfast and lunch. First, through the ski school or an ancillary department on the part of the resort. Secondly, through certified - licensed day care providers.

Simply contact the resort/resorts you are considering and speak with them directly on what they offer - what is available.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Honestly, your best bet is to hire a babysitter or instructor for your children. I didn't have much luck finding a resort with those kinds of services. Just go on craigslist or https://weecare.co/ and try to ask for someone with that kind of experience.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
phil_w wrote:
I've often been asked to look after children for their instructor when riding up alone on a chair lift. That's a surprise - as a single white non-poor male I understand that I'm seen as a huge threat to everyone not in that category. Not in BC, it seems.

No, you’re mistaken. It’s Mexican male that’re supposed to be the biggest threat. According to a certain Presidential candidate, that is. So you’re a big step above.

Any parent who wouldn’t let their children outside to play because they perceive every male adult as dangerous shouldn’t let their children attend ski school. What do they expect? One instructor TRYING to look after 5-6 little ones. Most of the time it works out. Most of the time…
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy