Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
All the Sella Ronda webcams showing amazing conditions.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FRIDAY 3 FEB - afternoon/evening, shared private transfers, 1 night B&B accommodation, shared rooms with a private shower/toilet per room, optional dinner, close to Arabba.

With the SnowHeads Birthday Bash (S19BB) starting Sat 4 Feb, 12 snowHeads are signed up to travelling earlier, arriving in Arabba in good time to enjoy Saturday sliding.

Anyone out there interested in joining in? In or around Venice by 5pm at the latest on Fri 3 Feb?

Seem to be good flights available still at reasonable prices. Direct from London, Bristol, Edinburgh. Must be others from around the world too! 1 change with short stopover from Birmingham or Manchester.

PM me please for more information or with any questions.

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just noticed the new black that connects danterciepes to selva. Is it doable? Last year I struggled a bit with la gran risa, very keen to try something new if it is not steep.
I will be based between Ortisei and St Cristina totally reliant on ski busses, any experience from using them? I have downloaded the timetable and the service seem frequent but I am sure there is going to be some close contact with fellow travellers, Toofy Grin
Sorry to be a pain , final question, from the bus stop PLAN, can you access plan de gralba or is it far away?
Many thanks
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
"..from the bus stop PLAN, can you access plan de gralba or is it far away?..." - no, but you can change busses there ; get off in the car park and walk around to the main road and there is a bus stop for the bus to Plan de gralba (that bus can mean a bit of a wait)

The new black in Selva is not as steep as Gran risa
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Some of us did the new black run last BB.
It's a nice run, but as Bob says, not as steep as Gran Risa, and not as long as expected in good conditions.

Conditions were great for a fast run down. Might be more of a test if it gets a good dump of fresh snow or they don't bash it every day.
Still worth doing though. It makes 3 nice runs down from Danterciepies, so you could spend a couple of hours just looping round.
(the down side is the 20 min back to the top).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Check the timetable for the plan de grabla bus. You should be able to catch it from Selva, St christina etc Though I know it runs very infrequently
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you so much
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The next milestone looks to be the 22nd December when the Marmalada is scheduled to open. At the moment there is no posted opening date for the Great War tour.

Today the SD are showing 1,200kms of skiing and 352 out of 450 lifts open.

The outlook for this week is sunny and mild with light wind. The model outlook continues the dry theme with the snow nipping up overnight.

Looks like great weather for skiing Cool

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/webcams/c13383/
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Peter for the updates, I just assumed the Marmolada was not going to open this season, great news that we can still go there
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Harrow lady wrote:
Thanks Peter for the updates, I just assumed the Marmolada was not going to open this season, great news that we can still go there

Can I ask why you thought Marmolada would be closed this year ? Lift problems ?

We are due in San Cassiano in Feb and it would have been one of my planned days out I think…
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sheffskibod, one side of the marmolada collapsed last summer, about six people died, the videos I saw are terrible Eh oh! it is all to do with global warming
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There was an avalanche a few weeks ago as I remember.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Harrow lady wrote:
@sheffskibod, one side of the marmolada collapsed last summer, about six people died, it is all to do with global warming
Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter S wrote:
At the moment there is no posted opening date for the Great War tour.

That's reliant on the Falzarego cable car opening which is scheduled as the 23rd
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'd have thought the Falzarego cable car would have been open all year, especially for summer tourists?
It's a lot of expensive infrastructure to sit idle.

There must be snow around Cinque Tori, although I assume the hidden valley run would be reliant on snow all the way down before that was opened.
ski holidays
The hidden valley only has limited snow making and i imagine it takes quite a lot of effort to prepare and patrol being so isolated.

The cable car itself is 1987 so long since written off the books, so quite a saving on running costs during the low seasons if it doesnt open until there is justifying demand. It does open during the summer.

Most of Cinqe torre is closed including the cortina link
snow report
Looks as though the Marmalada, the link to the Porto Vescovo, part of Cinque Torri and the skyline Gondola link to Cortina are now open. The Great War Tour and the hidden valley still look to be closed.
Across the DS 413 lifts are running and 1,200 kms of ski runs are open meaning that the majority of the network is now operating.

Within the Sella Ronda, which includes the ski areas of Arabba, Val gardena, Val di Fassa and the Alta Badia, they are reporting 207 lifts and 458 kms of linked runs open.

To the north at Kronplatz it’s week four of their ski season and they are now fully open, including the ridiculously steep Piculin (72%) and the 7km Reid piste.

https://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/Open-lifts

Slope conditions look good. Modelled temperatures over the next 10 plus days look to be warmer than ideal but the snow should firm up overnight. Plenty of sunshine, dry air and light winds should keep the runs in good condition and provide reliable skiing.

Plenty of people around on the webcams:
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c15328/

https://www.bergfex.com/groeden-wolkenstein/webcams/c15195/

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/italia/veneto/belluno/cortina-d-ampezzo.html

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-12-22 9:53; edited 4 times in total
ski holidays
Does anyone know how conditions in the Dolomites are holding up now? Are they being impacted by this rainstorm going on in Alps at the moment?
ski holidays
Conditions are great here in the Dolomites, we’ve had no rain all week.
ski holidays
@sealey,
Quote:

Conditions are great here in the Dolomites,

Great news...where are you based?
ski holidays
We’re in Selva until New Years Eve, been out here a week and it’s been perfect piste skiing.
snow report
Just got back from a week in Corvara. Conditions were perfect.
snow report
Dear all, we planned our first time Italy trip for 4-11 of february, we are staying in pozza di fassa. February I know is generally busy but how busy should we expect it to be?
We are two intermediate/advanced snowboarders any suggestions on what we really shouldn't miss out on?

Cheers
snow conditions
I've only been over to Pozza di fassa on the last Birthday bash, and conditions were excellent. The black run down to Pozza was superb.

Unfortunately, wind conditions prevented us skiing back (bus round to Penia), and we missed out on the return via the Ciampac run, which looked superb.*

It's a must for this year. Very Happy

As advanced/intermediates, you should be able to get anywhere on the Sella Ronda and back without difficulty. Clockwise is best for boarders, as there is a bit of a flat area on the anti clockwise. You can join it from Campitello or Canezai.

If you like steep runs, then Selva/Val Gardena is a must. If you prefer cruising blues, then Alta Badia/Colfosco would be a good bet. But if you go there, don't miss the Edelweis Valley.
If you enjoy long runs, then try Marmolada.

As a precaution, I'd suggest checking the timetables for buses back from Canezei. It's very easy to enjoy the area too much and have to make a mad dash home. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin (speaking from experience rolling eyes )

Plus, you are there at the same time as the Birthday Bash, so maybe try to meet up with some during the week. They will be everywhere. Just look out for bright orange buffs. (quite often hanging from backpacks, helmets etc for easy spotting).
Just put a comment on the thread and someone will reply.

I can almost guarantee it won't be your last visit to the Dolomites.

*As we went up the Gondola, there was somebody skiing down the edge of the Piste with a shovel, removing any lumps of ice that had rolled down from the edge. That's how much care the Italians take of their pistes. You would never see that in France.
latest report
Last time we were there one of the pisteurs was using a leaf blower to remove pine needles and small twigs from a run Laughing

Porta Vescova above Arabba for the steep carvy stuff.
snow report
@BlueSnow, welcome to snowHeads. You're in for a treat! Where have you boarded before? What times of the season? That would help give a view on relative 'busyness' or crowdedness.
Generally speaking, the bit of the Sella Ronda circuit you're based at is less crowded than, say, Alta Badia (Corvara, Colfosco, etc).

A few highlights mentioned by
@brianatab, and @Peter S, above. There are so many. If you do an 'advanced search on this site, using a few different keywords, like Sella Ronda...Dolomites...etc that will throw a few past threads up that cover your highlights question. Also if you look at the threads for past SnowHeads Birthday Bashes, you'll pick up some valuable information from there, as well as some puzzling stuff.
eg
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=141773
snow report
Thanks for the inside info, we will definitely keep an eye out for the orange buffs.

@PeakyB as a couple of examples les sybelles first two weeks of january, val thorans last two weeks of march, solden (austria) or la clusaz the 2nd week of february.
latest report
PeakyB wrote:
@BlueSnow, welcome to snowHeads. You're in for a treat! Where have you boarded before? What times of the season? That would help give a view on relative 'busyness' or crowdedness.
Generally speaking, the bit of the Sella Ronda circuit you're based at is less crowded than, say, Alta Badia (Corvara, Colfosco, etc).

Must say in the three times I have been to the Dolomites in Feb this has not been my experience. The bits of the Val di Fassa away from the Sella Ronda have been fine. But the longest queues on the Sella have consistently been both directions from Plan Frataces and the Chair up to Belvedere. The queues up from Canazei and Colfosco have also been very long, a little bit better up at Alba.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@T Bar, I agree there are those bottleneck lifts at peak times, mainly mid morning and mid afternoon I my experience. Overall though I’ve found the pistes quieter than most other sections of tbe Sella Ronda, especially Alta Badia.

4-11 Feb is the week before very high season I think. Compared to those French resorts, in February school holidays, it should feel comfortable. Haven’t been to Solden but I’ve found the Dolomites quieter than the several Austrian areas I’ve visited.
snow conditions
I am used to low-season French skiing with no lift queues and whilst I loved the Dolomites in many ways some of the queues on the Sella Ronda were a pain (there were few queues elsewhere). Clearly late February is going to be a peak time (and all the hotels I've tried are fully booked) but what is the area like later in the season? In many french resorts the week after the holidays (4 March this year) is the best of the year, all round. But what about the Dolomites? Is mid-March too late? I do love those smartly groomed pistes and wonderful restaurants.
ski holidays
@pam w,

The area’s not all that high so, as you’d expect, mid March can be brilliant but can also be a bit sticky later in the day if it’s warm. Whatever the overall conditions, the pistes will be as good as they can be.
snow report
@PeakyB,
I was maybe unlucky I have been to Val di Fassa twice once in Jan and the second time in Feb and I must admit that the first time was nice and quiet but the second one had the worst queues I have had and I've been a lot to Austria and a bit to France in Feb. Didn't regret going, the Dolomites are great, but it did mean on return trips we went to other valleys in the Dolomites.

Anyway from a practical point of view @BlueSnow, is going a week earlier I think than when we went and it may well be quieter. If they have a car and are going to access the Sella it is worth driving through to Alba where the queues are less to access the Sella than at the other access points. I cannot remember if a bus goes right through as we had a car. As with anywhere the earlier you access the lifts the shorter the queues unless you leave it till much later. They can ski over to Alba via Buffaure /Ciampac. In general I would try and avoid getting lifts through Plan Frataces after mid morning if it can be avoided to often.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
I am used to low-season French skiing with no lift queues and whilst I loved the Dolomites in many ways some of the queues on the Sella Ronda were a pain (there were few queues elsewhere). Clearly late February is going to be a peak time (and all the hotels I've tried are fully booked) but what is the area like later in the season? In many french resorts the week after the holidays (4 March this year) is the best of the year, all round. But what about the Dolomites? Is mid-March too late? I do love those smartly groomed pistes and wonderful restaurants.

I've never been later than Feb but based on its altitude northerly aspect and access to the Marmolada I wouldn't hesitate to book Arabba in mid march personally. What's the worst that can happen ? You have to spend a bit more of the afternoon on an Italian restaurant deck?
latest report
https://www.bergfex.com/kronplatz/webcams/c1395/

The air stream is now much drier. Snowmaking is back on.
snow report
Sella Ronda with Ustaria Posta.

http://youtube.com/v/IkAIZhiQ154&t=619s

Someone should ask them to join the snowHead s next month. Would make for a fun vid.
ski holidays
Looks like the Hidden valley and the Great War tour (anti-clockwise) are opening tomorrow.

437 lifts out of a total of 450 are now reported open across the Dolomiti Superski area. Most of the ski runs have now been prepared and are open for the season. In the Sella Ronda areas there are now only a few runs closed, probably because they don’t have snow making.

The GEFS outlook is staying slightly warmer than average but possibly cooling down to something nearer long term average by the second week of January? The outlook looks predominantly dry.

The weather should continue to be good for skiing with predominantly light wind and sunshine. The dry air should help to preserve the quality of the snow.

https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/#day1

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 30-12-22 9:05; edited 2 times in total
snow report
@pam w, I was in Alba this March 19-25th, no issues with cueing, and the snow was generally very good, it was just the lower south facing slopes that became soft after 1pm, I liked it so much I’ll be back there this coming March Very Happy
latest report
Hi, having been looking at a potential hotel booking in Malga Ciapela in Feb and trying to work out the lift situation. It seems that the Val d'Arei drag lifts no longer run? So other than buses up towards Padon, the only uplift out would be the Banc and Serauta lift up the Marmolada? What are the risks of closure of the runs down from Serauta to Fedaia given the situation in the summer?
ski holidays
Red Leon wrote:
@pam w,

The area’s not all that high so, as you’d expect, mid March can be brilliant but can also be a bit sticky later in the day if it’s warm. Whatever the overall conditions, the pistes will be as good as they can be.

First visit to Sella Ronda second week in March. Staying at the Hotel Acadia right next to nursery slopes in Selva. Greatly encouraged that snow there seems to be as good as anywhere at the moment .. though have heard snow making in Dolomites is the best anywhere (as needs must).
snow report
@DidierCouch == Wrote == ".. Hi, having been looking at a potential hotel booking in Malga Ciapela in Feb and trying to work out the lift situation. "

"..It seems that the Val d'Arei drag lifts no longer run?.." = Yep, damaged by an avalanche and no plans to rebuild

"...So other than buses up towards Padon, the only uplift out would be the Banc and Serauta lift up the Marmolada?..." = yes

"...What are the risks of closure of the runs down from Serauta to Fedaia given the situation in the summer?..." = hard to say, but I believe the summer collapse was not in the ski area
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy