Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Worst conditions of the week by far. Yes it was warm but the usual freeze/thaw you’d expect seemed to have missed out the freeze. Suspect it was cloudy overnight so little radiative cooling. Piste from Dantercëpies to Corvara was cutting up at 9 and by the time I reached Arraba Fly at 9:45 there were significant lumps forming

Still managed SR both ways (well ending CCW at Ciampinoi to have early lunch with OH) then CW from there with the horrid (at that time) Red 5. I missed Red 6 - I think that’s an alternative that looking back from next gondola looked less crowded.

Even went wrong on return - second time I’ve done it - I’m sure signs sent me up the slow 4 that runs alongside a slow 2 and not the fast 8. So a detour and snow was so slow by then that it was straight down lower part of Pralongia. Even north facing runs were lumping up. Arraba probably best area.

My piste skis were a bit of a struggle. Should have taken the all mountain.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My skis 166cm, 66 underfoot, radius 14. Need a recommendation for thus slushy Dolomiti snow. Thinking of renting something else for next five days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've found Volkl Deacon 80s an excellent compromise for mixed slushy, mogully, with some scraped hardpack thrown in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been given a pair of Blizzards, wider at 88, and longer at 171 - left mine at the shop for a service.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Used my all mountains today - good move after my piste skis were hard work at times yesterday. Conditions at Sella Ronda not quite as bad as yesterday as at least it seemed the snow froze properly last night unlike the previous night.

Bare patches appearing - doubt 6 at Corvara will be open much longer. 8a very thin in places. Both runs don’t seem to have any cannon or cannon points so they’ve been living off weeks old natural.

My all mountains still have a piste bias as are quite narrow 80mm waist. But they are also a fair bit lighter (and shorter obviously) than my piste skis which alone makes them easier to flip about.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Blue 6 in Corvara can be avoided by using blue 7 from Bioch and 8a can be avoided by using 8b. Both 6 and 8a are occasionally closed in the early part of the season anyway. If that's the worse of the slopes currently, I'd say they're doing pretty well considering the lack of recent snow and above average temperatures.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jimmybog wrote:
Blue 6 in Corvara can be avoided by using blue 7 from Bioch and 8a can be avoided by using 8b. Both 6 and 8a are occasionally closed in the early part of the season anyway. If that's the worse of the slopes currently, I'd say they're doing pretty well considering the lack of recent snow and above average temperatures.

I agree. Just reporting. 6 is a pain anyway and I did 7 yesterday and that has cannons and snow ok. Only just found 8a yesterday and liked it. I think a couple of slopes are closed - came across a couple of barriers, and the illuminated board was showing 2 of the blues down to San somewhere (with the yellow gondola) closed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buchanan101 wrote:

I agree. Just reporting. 6 is a pain anyway and I did 7 yesterday and that has cannons and snow ok. Only just found 8a yesterday and liked it. I think a couple of slopes are closed - came across a couple of barriers, and the illuminated board was showing 2 of the blues down to San somewhere (with the yellow gondola) closed.

I wonder if that's the slopes down to San Cassiano? There is one from near Bioch hut I've wanted to try but it's always been closed. Think that one and another one were the only ones closed back in early February when the conditions were much better.

Thanks for the change of ski advice. Never really thought about changing them for specific conditions. I always just trust what they give me. Will certainly make a mental note for the future. Hope you enjoy rest of the trip and thanks for the reports.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oblos wrote:
Been given a pair of Blizzards, wider at 88, and longer at 171 - left mine at the shop for a service.

Its funny I was going to recommend that exact ski, I think it is a Brahma, or it used to be. Twice recently I've found two 88 171 - 173 skis to be great on piste and off, Brahmas and Dynastar Cham 88. Would consider buying either but I think the Cham have been discontinued so must have been an old pair I was riding.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
jimmybog wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
2 of the blues down to San somewhere (with the yellow gondola) closed.

I wonder if that's the slopes down to San Cassiano?

Probably a good guess. 9 & 11, both low and slow. Damn, staying there in a week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They weren’t all showing red. Just two most northerly routes or parts of routes down. Did 11 earlier in the week and it was fine.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@8611 They are Blizzard Brahma SP. May be a good choice to buy for an alternative pair. But today wished I’d had my Sudtirol/Black Thunder babies. Did the Hidden Valley and would have preferred my sharper edges. Redeemed themselves at the bottom tho. Can’t see the horse tow lasting much longer. Sun was out again. Heavy snow due on Tuesday. Off to rifugios for two nights.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
buchanan101 wrote:
They weren’t all showing red. Just two most northerly routes or parts of routes down. Did 11 earlier in the week and it was fine.

Yep looks like its 10 and 10A closed. Bioch and Vegas lodge, both to Saraghes. Both connect into one before Saraghes hut.

Also shows Grand war tour closed both ways.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just back from four days staying in Cortina. The very highest slopes are ok but everything else is terrible. Skied the Sella Ronda on Thursday and it was bloody awful too, slush and cut up everywhere. We didn’t even bother skiing this morning in Cortina and walked around in the sun and had lunch in tee shirts getting a tan. Unless the weather changes considerably the season won’t last much longer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@maddness, sh*t, and here's me planning a trip to Dolomites for two weeks later next year. I thought the gig in Dolomites was they are really good at snow making, are they just nor making any more or is it too warm anyway or?

I think some snow due this week so hopefully it improves
snow conditions
@8611, I think the issue is it's just too warm at the moment and even snow-making, however good, can't compete with rain.
ski holidays
It’s just too warm unfortunately. I’d post a picture if I knew how?
snow report
No need @maddness, I trust you given your penchant for La Dolce Vita skiing and similar trending reports above. Having said that, Passo San Pellegrino where I'm thinking of going, is at 2000m and looks fine on webcams. Brown patches on hills for sure but pistes still there and fine. Its a family holiday so quality of snow not as important as long as there's something there.

My quandary is there are no Venice flights for the first week after Christmas and it and half term would be a lot more expensive. Also I might get screwed for work at half term. And I'd be afraid it could actually be too cold for the kids either of those weeks. March sun just suits better.

Think I'll still go for it, area is so beautiful that you could always just go for hikes, snow shoeing etc. And I plan on doing a two destination holiday anyway, lake, city or even beach resort for a few of the days.

The other thing to say is much of Europe is the same, particularly prior to the current storm. So either book last minute, which has its drawbacks with family too, or take your chances.
ski holidays
@maddness, while I have you, any good ski in ski out accommodation options that would also work for kids in Champoluc / Gressoney area? Looking at a resort on the way up the valley, Antagnod which seems to be set up for kids. Goal is to have a lift and blue slopes directly outside accommodation.
snow report
Not really in Champoluc, the Hotel Champoluc is right at the base of the rather difficult red back to the village. To be honest I wouldn’t recommend Champoluc or Gressoney as a resort for beginners at all really, it’s mostly far too difficult for beginners.
I’ve driven through Antagnod every time I’ve gone to Champoluc and never really seen a huge amount of snow at resort level, might be good in January but probably not in March.
If I was skiing with kids or beginners I’d probably go to Pila as there seems to be more piste side hotels and handy blue slopes.

As for Cortina and the other resort I saw in the Dolomites, they really are very pretty resorts and I’d imagine with a bit more snow hard to beat.
ski holidays
Yeah, I did 15 days near cortina late season one year, we spent the whole time praying for snow but it was unspeakably beautiful nonetheless. That black above cortina was closed the whole time. I think we did the hidden valley though, I remember a frozen waterfall
latest report
Took a risk on a week in Selva on 1st April (no joke). Looks like the spa and the bar will get plenty of use !
snow report
We’ve just skied from La Villa to Rifugio Fedaia - staying overnight here - 6 of us. Difficult last run as very sugary wet. Really glad not to be using my piste skis! Rest of group will do the Marmolada but I may give it a miss. Going from here to Rifugio Lagazuoi tomorrow. A few flakes fell this afternoon and snow clouds up there but it may be another slushy run. Planning next year’s trip for end Feb beginning of March. Bit colder today.
snow conditions
Questions for those there now: obviously warm and slushy from reports. But in the mornings from 9-12 has it been ok? Hitting any rocks on the pistes? thx
latest report
First time post for me after a long time reading so I hope I get it right !
I was skiing in Vigo Di Fassa today and the pistes were fine first thing - much better than I expected, there not being a flake of snow in the village and it being very warm.
By 11am anywhere in the sun was cutting up a bit but the shadier slopes were still in great shape all day . Helped no doubt by there being very few people around.
No problem at all with brown patches or rocks.
A very enjoyable first day of my holiday.
Another warm day forecast tomorrow with possibly a little snow the day after then turning a little colder .
Still fun to be had - and the views are beautiful!
snow conditions
@pski2122, welcome to snowheads!

Who said internet forums are dead, I've seen more new accounts this last two weeks than I'm ages!
snow report
@scooter in seattle - early is still ok - a few patches near road crossings and near a few lifts but main pistes ok. Bumpy slushy by lunchtime. Hard work.
ski holidays
Thanks, as expected. Glad I love mush.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8611 wrote:
@maddness, sh*t, and here's me planning a trip to Dolomites for two weeks later next year. I thought the gig in Dolomites was they are really good at snow making, are they just nor making any more or is it too warm anyway or?

I think some snow due this week so hopefully it improves

They've made a large dump in January (I think) last until now in combination with snow making. Was slightly surprised that the snowmaking isn't quite as extensive as I'd expected, though it's only a few runs on the edge of the area that don't have cover and just about all were still open on Friday. Most of the reservoirs that could be seen from lifts were probably 80% to 90% empty (of course difficult to know, but a guess - all low anyway).

It would have been cold enough early last week for snow making so they'd have made some if they thought they needed it - or maybe that aren't allowed to in March. Only Thursday onwards got warm and heavy going (especially Thursday as the pistes hadn't really frozen at all overnight)

Was still very impressed with the area - my first visit - and will go back next year. Lovely variety and extent of skiing. Lifts are as good as most Austrian resorts (not quite up to Ischgl/Saalbach standards but as good as SkiWelt, Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel etc). Queues just about non existent or a couple of minutes at worst. And until Thursday pistes were in very good/excellent condition.
snow conditions
maddness wrote:
Just back from four days staying in Cortina. The very highest slopes are ok but everything else is terrible. Skied the Sella Ronda on Thursday and it was bloody awful too, slush and cut up everywhere. We didn’t even bother skiing this morning in Cortina and walked around in the sun and had lunch in tee shirts getting a tan. Unless the weather changes considerably the season won’t last much longer.

I skied it both ways on Thursday - in large part not very good, but not helped with taking out the wrong (piste) skis. It cut up from the very first thing.

It was still skiing though - and I'd rather be doing it even in those conditions than not...

Snow was still Ok in places - e.g. the slopes at Arraba. But Red 5 off the back of Ciamponoi (sp?) at 1pm was the best "fun" of the day...

Supposed to be snowing reasonably heavily tomorrow and significantly colder - though snow (in small amounts) was forecast last week, but only the odd few flakes appeared
latest report
Thanks @buchanan101, Henri on Wepowder suggesting Dolomites will get less than elsewhere but I imagine the 15 - 20cm will be welcome nonetheless.
snow report
Mini safari again from Rifugio Fedaia to Rifugio Lagazuoi- another night here up on the mountain. Very impressed with the pistes even if slushy now. All still skiable if a little sticky late afternoon. Spectacular sunset! Eh oh!
snow report
@Oblos, is that the one above the start of the hidden valley?
snow report
@8611 Yes.
snow conditions
@Oblos, Just curious, did you go via Arabba to Armentarola, or via Alleghe /Pescul / Fedare/ Cinque Torri?

The flat areas over Cinque torri wouldn't have been easy in sticky snow.
ski holidays
@brianatab We went from Fedaia back into Arabba via Portovescovo then Bec Rosses, Campolongo, Pralongia (lunch stop) then down 9a/11 to Armentarola. Taxi to the Lagazuoi cable car. Avoided Corvara.
latest report
Blizzard top of Lagazuoi. Can just about see the lift station from the rifugio dining room for scale of visibility. Supposed to change to light snow by 10-ish.
latest report
Ignatius wrote:
Lovely four days in San Martino Di Castrozza. Got back last Saturday. Easy as pie from Treviso. Great weather and snow. Not a big area but we popped up to Passo Rolle for a morning and made sure we got up the cable car at Col Verde back in town plus ski the red run from mid station. Highly recommended for a short break but a week would be pointless. Some of the reds are more than enough for the majority and easily accessible gentle off piste when the snow is good.

We’ve booked a week next year with the Dolomiti Superski pass. Just wondered if you have any idea how we access the larger area? TIA
snow conditions
You'll need to drive to another Dolomite resort I'm afraid so hopefully you've booked a car. Alpe Di Luisa area is the closest. Just carry on from Passo Rolle. If the weather is good it shouldn't be a problem. San Martino is great but you'll ski it all in three days, not that there's anything wrong with doing that again! wink
snow report
@skiseekers, if you haven't paid for the full pass yet... don't. It would be a waste of money. It doesn't make sense to drive all the way to Campitello, which is the closest part of the main Sella Ronda circuit, and involves a 2,000 metre pass.

There is a cheaper "Valle Silver" pass which covers San Martino di Castrozza and several of the other nearest ski areas all the way up to (and including) the nearest, southern part of the Sella Ronda. Basically everything within 90 minute's drive except for Civetta. Well worthwhile (see my trip report from March 2019). As above, you would still need a car.

If you don't have a car, than just get the local San Martino pass (even cheaper).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy