Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomiti Superski 2022/23

Poster: A snowHead
Great conditions today. A bit soft late on but really pretty good especially as they’ve hardly had any snow in weeks.

I take both. Used piste skis today.

Mostly skied Corvara to get back in the swing. Barely any queues. Often pistes virtually empty hence not much of a slushy bump fest late on. Red 17 a blast.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Such a lovely day in the Dollies! Chef’s Table at Rifugio Bioch a bit windy so we were moved inside to the wine tasting table. Yet another fabulous meal. Slopes all skiable and sunny but could do with the hopefully expected top-up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was really noticeable in January how everyone was on tiny race carving skis. My big all mountain telemark skis were so inappropriate on the perfectly groomed slopes Laughing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Conditions not as good today - mixed visibility though never bad. Very occasional light snow showers so nothing doing on piste top up.

Busier than Sunday despite worse conditions. Still ok though some pistes a bit crowded at a couple of places on the Ronda. Ronda was closed south of Selva anti-clockwise (technical reasons) sometime early afternoon. Must have caused problems.

Two days in to my first SR trip.

Very impressed by variety of skiing, better than anywhere I’ve been. Pistes well maintained. Lifts generally good though a bit of a mixed bag. I actually found one that wasn’t Leitner today. Queues very short - worst is 5 mins at the yellow bubble in Alta Badia area bottom of blue 11.

What is it with the huge variety of bubbles, all Leitner. Some with no seats just thin butt-rests.

Haven’t seen any lunatic skiing yet; generally very well mannered. A bit shocked of the numbers without helmets. Still a very low % but in Ellmau in January I saw around 5 helmetless in 3 days. Mostly old skiers (I’d say older than me and I’m 62). Once two parents, helmetless with two helmeted kids.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
buchanan101 wrote:
A bit shocked of the numbers without helmets. Still a very low % but in Ellmau in January I saw around 5 helmetless in 3 days. Mostly old skiers (I’d say older than me and I’m 62). Once two parents, helmetless with two helmeted kids.

On 1 January 2022, Italy took a significant step by making it law for skiers to have third party liability insurance, for children under 18 to wear a helmet when skiing (previously the requirement was up to age 14) and prohibiting skiing whilst intoxicated.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think the helmet thing is to do with when you leaned to ski, if you started wearing a helmet you always will, so you will still have some parents ski with their kids who won't be wearing their helmet, so resorts where there tends to be a lot of skiers Who learned with a helmet, they wear a helmet, so a lot of older people who were skiing on long straight skis, with less grooming, see less of a danger on the slopes , so they just stick to their hats. I wouldn't be surprised to see non helmet wearers, as you said, they are generally older but ski like pure demons, some older people on the slopes make me feel like a whimp, ( ie people in their 80s flying down icy blacks in a beautiful rythmic glide)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@biddpyat, I learnt in the 80s. No helmets then. Helmet uptake has increased year by year. Almost 100% in Austria.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wear a helmet now, but only because I won it in a competition. (dolomitie prize draw). Probably wouldn't have ever bought one.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Could I ask the resident Dollie experts - how late does the season ordinarily run? Thinking of doing a few days with kids Easter 24, its early that year, first week off begins Saturday 23rd March

I presume the Dolomites would plan on still be skiing that week? Am looking for places with ski in / hotel at foot of lifts and lots of blues for kids, Passo San Pellegrino looks good

Anyone else any suggestions of accommodation close to lifts with easy slopes?

Would Sella Ronda expect to still be navigable then?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, no worries based on my experience, which led me to book for that timeframe myself months ago, so see ya there! Obviously a bad snow season but as you read above they are still delivering a good experience....they know how to get it done.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We went 2nd - 9th April 2022. It was the last week of Alta Badia skiing and was a bit slushy in the afternoons on the last 2 days but I had 2 days of skiing fresh snow in Arabba. Passo San Pelegrín’s is much higher, about 450m above La Villa. They shut the Armentarola lift, Badia valley (after La Villa), Hidden Valley, 5 Torri area on 3rd April, ploughed up the childrens funslopes midweek and shut a few lifts/runs through the week but I skied to Ortisei and right round Sella. Ski school was very quiet, our children were the whole class on the first day. Nobody at lift stations usually, rare to share a lift as ghostly quiet. I occasionally passed skiers on piste. The kids complained there was nobody there, the lifts were too fast and they didn’t get a rest. Very much 1st world issues. No race at the end of the week as the course was gone though. We booked very late due to passport issues and got 25% off (excellent) hotel, 6 days for price of 5 on lift pass. It was brilliant apart from almost the whole ski school getting a 24 hr vomiting bug on the 2nd last day (hence only 2 kids and 1 instructor for the whole ski school on the last day).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what...snow wrote:
The kids complained there was nobody there, the lifts were too fast and they didn’t get a rest. Very much 1st world issues.

Superb!

What was the name of your hotel? Ski in or otherwise convenient? I kind of want one directly beside a lift so if anyone doesn't want to ski or wants to go back to the hotel it is easy.

I loved Arraba when I encountered it skiing the Sella Ronda but my memory was of some proper steep blacks around it, wasn't sure it would be great for kids who will mostly want blues or reds. Passa San Pellegrino has great beginner looking pistes but it looks quite bland in comparison to the Sella Ronda resorts. There is a nice view of a ridge but you are not in and around the stunning faces as you are elsewhere.

All opinions appreciated!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@8611, I love San Pellegrino, but the upper blue slopes, being above the tree line, are a bit bleak, especially in bad weather. I wonder if the Alpe di Siusi area would fit the bill better for you? Others with greater experience than mine might like to comment. There looked to me to be quite a bit of slopeside accommodation and the views there are certainly wonderful. From the ridge above, you can look towards the Alps one way and the Dolomites the other, quite different vistas and simply stunning.
Edit: if I remember rightly pamski had had several holidays in that area, she could shed more light I expect.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Furthest I’ve got in that direction is Ortisei. The Alpe di Suisi piste map has rather more red than blue IIRC but everyone who writes about it seems to regard the runs as blue equivalents. The scenery there at the end of Val Gardena is just as good as it is at Selva, above Canazei/Campitello and the AB plateau, ie outstanding.

Our hotel was on the road between La Villa and Corvara so they would drop off by minibus at either village in the morning. <5mins to La Villa, slightly more (like 6-7) to Boe. I think they assumed you were at the bottom of the La Villa gondola at the end of the day. I always got picked up 5 mins after ringing from the bus stop across from the car park and I saw 1 stroppy TA review which seemed to mainly give the hotel a bad mark because they had waited at Corvara and the minibus had been sent to La Villa.

I did a TR. There’s a link to the hotel at the end. Glad we got a big discount! Minibus was great in the mornings TBH and the instructor picked the kids up from the hotel as he was driving past so in many ways piste access was faster than ski in/out.

The main pick up after lessons was at the top of Sorega as my kids were bundled in with those from San Cassiano to make up numbers. If you’re familiar with the area, you’ll realise it’s easy to ski between and there’s a ridiculous choice of restaurants for lunch around there. There’s at least 7 that I’ve either enjoyed or seen recommended plus at least 3 or 4 more drinks/snacks/not seen recommended huts, all in the ski area and reachable within 1 lift and run from Sorega, which is surely some sort of record? In fact, thinking about it, there are at least 6 huts you can ski directly to, which seems like more than there are in whole ski resorts in other countries, from some of the reports I’ve read on here.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4957122&highlight=alta+badia#4957122
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Day 3 today. Got my ski legs. Conditions pretty good. Skied La Longia - good fun, cable car had a bit of a queue; very efficient operation though. Not worth doing again for the time it takes to get back.

Question for you Dolomites experts;

Selva to Marmoloda; how long does it take and which is the best way round there and back?

I’m thinking Corvara way, especially as I can get to Danciperies quicker than Campinoi (as am at bottom of Nives drag)

Fantastic range of skiing here and loads of it. And not too busy (though top of red 5 is fun in the afternoon…)
ski holidays
@buchanan101, Fair trek to Marmolada from Selva : I would go via Corvara ; the slow bit is getting from Arabba over to the Marmolada and back.

I have never timed, but I would leave a whole day (and start early !) and only go if it is a 'blue sky' day
latest report
@buchanan101, learned in the 80s myself, but noticed a lot of my age group tended not to wear them until we got to a more careful age, lol! The increase has indeed been year on year, but there are still quite a lot that haven't yet decided to wear one, perhaps Italy has more non wearers but It seem a huge difference so much that I noticed
snow report
We’re at Sport Hotel Teresa (second visit) . Hotel pick up/drop off service - usually to La Villa for Piz La Ila gondola. Did St Croce today. Plan is to do Sellaronda tomorrow. More snow forecast for Thursday.
latest report
Hi All - we are heading to Madonna tomorrow for 4 days ski-ing. Webcams look like there is snow but anyone any update on conditions there? What is Pinzolo like ? - will it be sheets of ice everywhere. We are going anyway but nice to know what to expect. Did 4 days there last year in March and it was fab - don't think we will be so lucky this time!
ski holidays
@buchanan101, You should allow a couple of hours for the round trip from Arabba/Marmolada.

As @albob, suggests, choose a blue sky day with an early start. Marmolada is not worth the bother in low vis.
The best route would be via Corvara, but if you get back to Arabba early enough, you could complete the Sella Ronda clockwise in a couple of hours.
Don't ski down to Arabba. Take the bubble from the mid station to the top. Drop from the gully, turn left and keep left. Takes you all the way to the Fodom lift. Lovely long run.

The return to Selva anti clockwise is mostly lifts, but is the quickest if short of time.
ski holidays
@brianatab, Porto Vescovo. I see it. Makes sense. I’ve done SR anti-clockwise yesterday. Hopefully ok Thursday for Marmolada. I’m one Dantercëpies by 8:45 so should be ok. Turn round at 12 if not reached the top of the glacier
snow conditions
@Simone, pistes were perfect at the end of last week.
ski holidays
@buchanan101, It's just one long run (about 5k) from Dantercepies to Colfosco. Short lift across the valley, 2 lifts and 2 runs to Arabba.
You should be in Arabba in less than an hour from the top of Dantercepies, and be well on your way back to Arabba by 12.00 -12.30, leaving plenty of time for lunch stop on the way home.
Just make sure you don't ski past the chairlift back to Arabba when you come off Marmolada.

Plenty of nice Rifugios in the sun for lunch once you get over Pordoi Pass. Somebody will be able to recommend one.
ski holidays
brianatab wrote:
@buchanan101, It's just one long run (about 5k) from Dantercepies to Colfosco. Short lift across the valley, 2 lifts and 2 runs to Arabba.
You should be in Arabba in less than an hour from the top of Dantercepies, and be well on your way back to Arabba by 12.00 -12.30, leaving plenty of time for lunch stop on the way home.
Just make sure you don't ski past the chairlift back to Arabba when you come off Marmolada.

Plenty of nice Rifugios in the sun for lunch once you get over Pordoi Pass. Somebody will be able to recommend one.

Yes doing a trial run today doing a clockwise SR. I know it’s quick to Corvara as did it a couple of days ago. Thought CW was quicker as CCW took quite a while to get to Arraba

Full day of sun forecast tomorrow so will do the glacier then.

Signage is pretty good but will keep an eye out. Probably be signposted CW SR at the chair
snow report
@brianatab - thanks for that we are all piste skiers so as long as they are good not worried about lack of fresh snow! Just hope the rain holds off too.
snow conditions
@Hurtle, @what...snow, thanks both I get to do a deep dive now. I love planning holidays almost as much as going on them, and reading Dolomite trip reports is always a pleasure, the preponderance of good views, good food and quaint stories of Italian hospitality.

This for instance is my favourite piece of ski escapist writing, well worth a salivating read:-

https://www.ft.com/content/27c38f96-7c0a-11e4-a7b8-00144feabdc0

What a destination in fairness
latest report
@8611, Thanks for that link - I’ll devour it later. I also enjoy the holiday planning process immensely. Currently working on a return trip to Alta Badia this December Very Happy
snow report
@8611,
Quote:

This for instance is my favourite piece of ski escapist writing, well worth a salivating read:-

https://www.ft.com/content/27c38f96-7c0a-11e4-a7b8-00144feabdc0

Fabulous! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stellaps wrote:
@8611, Thanks for that link - I’ll devour it later. I also enjoy the holiday planning process immensely. Currently working on a return trip to Alta Badia this December Very Happy

Did Corvara or Colfosco previously, can never remember which one, glorious glorious views. I think its probably the most beautiful part of the Sella Ronda.
latest report
@8611, gives me an excuse to provide a link to a post with some epic images..

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2217976&highlight=#2217976
snow conditions
albob wrote:

Oh my! I didn't see that at the time. Thank you for sharing. Very Happy
latest report
brianatab wrote:

Not sure you can really go too wrong but I have had a lovely lunch at Fienile Monte ...
https://www.fienilemonte.it/EN/galleryen.html

Its under the Norei chair . col rodella sector .
latest report
albob wrote:

I read that recently, while re-reading that wonderous thread by the American snowhead who was skiing some beautiful stuff as the world's doors were closing down in March, 2020, great stuff
snow conditions
@sheffskibod, I’ve been pounding the pistes not stopping for lunch.. I know I’m missing out but we eat well in the evenings.

Another good day. Slightly warmer, touch of spring skiing in places but conditions still very good. No snow all week apart from some “snizzle”
ski holidays
https://www.bergfex.com/alta-badia/wetter/prognose/#day5
A spike of snow showing up on the 14th March but otherwise dry.
Still look to be plenty of skiers about on the webcams.
snow report
Sounds like it's been a depressingly dry winter, there hadn't been much snow when I went.
Not good for the rivers and reservoirs even if the pistes have coped due to the snowmaking.But the water will need replenishing at some point.
snow conditions
Probably find it’ll be the wettest or snowiest May on record Laughing
In terms of ticket sales and financial turnover however I suspect this season must be right up there.
snow conditions
Yesterday did clockwise Sellaronda starting from La Villa. Getting sugary towards the end. Today went from La Villa to Col Pradat for lunch (fab food on the sunny and v warm terrace). Finished early as very sugary wet - horrid for me on piste skis. Very warm today! Need water skis…
ski holidays
Much the same as that in Passo Tonale this afternoon. Far too warm and all pistes under 2500 were a mess by 1pm. My little girl in her second full week loved it though, skiing through slushy moguls was an interesting introduction to red runs for her but she seemed to love it.

The long blue back down towards Ponte Di Legno (sled dog) was almost unskiable for anyone under 50kgs as they just kept stopping. I ended up basically pushing my youngest lad down the slope.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 9-03-23 14:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hope you don't mind me butting in from the adjacent Lombardy region! On warm sunny days like these it's important to seek out shady slopes. I'm at north facing Cima Piazzi this afternoon and the snow is firm (no slush) right down to the base at 1350m, even though I reckon it's about 10°C down there...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy