Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes - Geneva shared transfer? / Avoriaz early December?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

2 questions if i may

Debating between Tignes and Avoriaz December 12-16. Me and the wife. Been to Avoriaz couple times, like it and fact its close to Geneva airport. But not sure about snow situation

1) Shared transfer for Geneva-Tignes return. Our return flight from Geneva is Friday 7am, so would need transfer at approx 2/3am. Reckon any companies have Shared or only Private ? If not, we would maybe return Thurs evening and stay at an airport hotel.

2) The reason probably going to Tignes is not sure what snow situation will be like in Avoriaz. According to Avoriaz official website the pistes are meant to open just then - but maybe the wider area (Morzine etc) will still be closed? Anyone have any idea? How snow-sure is Avoriaz for then?

TIA
Dan
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@honky2, hmmm, a. even Avoriaz maybe a bit sketchy then. Tignes a much snow surer choice.

b. can you even get a transfer from anywhere at 02h00? I am not at all sure ...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the color.

In the past have gotten shared transfers from Avoriaz (Morzine) and Flaine at that sort of time, but seems less likely in Tignes after contacting a couple of the transfer companies (perhaps I'm not aware of the more popular ones)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@honky2, good luck, outside my knowledge on transfers! Massive dislike of early flights!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've done opening week in the PdS a number of times and provided you accept it's early season and set your expectation correctly to "It might be amazing, but even if it isn't we'll be in the mountains and on some snow." you'd be fine in Avoriaz.

Case in point, 2016, probably the worst start to the season in Europe since I've been skiing. Staying in Morzine with great views across town to the Pleney slope. The still green grass of the Pleney slope, with no more than mole hills of white next to eash snow maker pole. But get up each morning, jump on the (almost empty) bus to Prodains, uplift using the €50/week lift pass (reduced due to limited opening) and the Fornet and Hauts-Fort bowls were both open...and empty. Queue a really enjoyable week skiing down to a lift knowing that if you got it right you'd be able to slide straight up to the barrier, beep through and slide straight onto a chair to go back up. Yes you wanted to start early/ski through lunch/give up about 3pm when things got sticky - but hey, Prodains down/bus back to Morzine and you could be sat in the sun wearing shorts and sipping a chilled glass of rose by 4pm!

Transfer wise no issues doing GVA->Avoriaz at that time. Not all the companies will be up and running but some will. Looking at ~€100 for return transfers GVA->Morzine this season. Guessing ->Avoriaz a little more but you can also find cheaper transfer companies.
GVA->Tignes is going to be a good deal more expensive, just because it's further so you get fewer trips per van/per day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@honky2, agree with @under a new name that it might be a bit sketchy, and even if has some snow it will be rammed with the rest of Morzine going up there. Tignes every time, despite the longer transfer.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dr John, I’m not sure anywhere will be “rammed” 12-16 December simply because there is always a risk of it being sketchy - we were out last year around that time in PdS and they weren’t opening some lifts simply because there weren’t any people - I can’t remember being behind anyone on a lift all week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@andy from embsay, yeah fair point, how about "potentially quite busy"?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dr John, Fairy nuff! I think the time you have a problem is xmas week with large numbers of people arriving into potentially sketchy conditions - can’t remember the year but there was one in recent memory when Avoriaz were only sellling passes to people staying up there. But last December was epic (we arrived on 10/12) and this year looks ok as it stands, with a bit of a base above about 1500m and a prolonged cold period when they can make snow. In Morzine the Pleney side doesn’t open til 17/12 so unless there’s a massive dump and they open early then Avoriaz/Chatel is where you have to go.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@andy from embsay, that's the 2016 season you're thinking of but like I said one of the worst starts to the season ever - and looking at the webcams there's already more snow on the hill above Morzine today than there was the third week in December 2016.

I was there at the same time too, having done a double-header with the PSB and Sun. 12th was quite busy - there was snow and cheap pre-season weekend lift pass prices so plenty of locals jumping in their cars to enjoy the white stuff. Think the rest of the week was reasonably quite and think it was only really duplicated lifts that were closed, so not limited on where you could go just sometimes on the route to get there.

Start of the season you're just looking at seasonares, a limited number of addicts like me, but the bulk of numbers come from 'locals' who can just jump in their cars/stay in their apartments - and they only do that if the snow's good. If it isn't you get the mountain to yourself.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like @Mjit, says, if the opening is limited there won't be tons of punters.
Locals won't get out of bed just to shoof up and down a single piste (unless its Lac de Vaux, Verbier).
If there's decent snow then the locals will be up on the Chesery or happy valley.
In my experiences of early-season Avoriaz, its never been rammed.
The ski-test and snowboxx events bring a few people, but can't say it's ever been heaving.
The main reason is that it is not in the school holidays.
I like Tignes too when the weather is nice, but when its not not so nice, I'm not a huge fan.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy