Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Australian ski resorts begin snow cloud seeding

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I think these plans were reported here a few weeks back, but the trials begin today.

This first exercise is intended to exploit a cold weather front moving over the Snowy Mountains today, to produce 15cm of snow that wouldn't otherwise fall. Here's a brief report from ABC News Online.

And here's a technical explanation from Snowy Hydro Corporation, who are masterminding the six-year project.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm no scientist to put it mildly, so decided to look up some info on silver iodide used in this process. There's bound to be more data around, but what did strike me was whether there are any inherrent potential dangers of long term exposure to the particles fired into the clouds. The short search that I did seemed to suggest there wasn't a particularly large amount of data on toxicology.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Here is a full MSDS sheet CLICK HERE for the Silver Iodide you can buy off the shelf from Fisher (what used to be ICI chemicals). Not sure what concentrations they use it in etc but I still think its nuts as nature intended that water to fall at somepoint but not necessarily over that mountain...........then again I guess artificial snow is is hugely draining on the local eco systems as well. Can't remember the exact figures but it is a huge amount of water required to make a tiny amount of snow, let alone the engery costs as well. This may be a slightly more eco-friendly method????

Quote:

Section 3 - Hazards Identification

EMERGENCY OVERVIEW
The toxicological properties of this material have not been fully investigated.Light sensitive.

POTENTIAL HEALTH EFFECTS
Eye May cause eye irritation.

Skin May cause skin irritation.

Ingestion The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated. May be harmful if swallowed.

Inhalation May cause respiratory tract irritation. The toxicological properties of this substance have not been fully investigated.

Chronic Not available.

snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a huge amount of water required to make a tiny amount of snow

The rule of thumb is 10 to 1. That is the 15 cms of snow which they were attempting is equivalent to 1.5 cm of rain fall. So as you've said, to get a reasonable coverage it is a lot of water for artificial snow making by the more usual methods.
But contrary to the ABC article, the primary purpose of the seeding exercise is not to improve skiing - it is for water resources augmentation. All they are trying to do is to make water available where it is needed rather than perhaps go to 'waste' elsewhere. If it helps the ski slopes, that will be a bonus.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:
Cloud-seeding trial boosts ski season

according to this latest report from news.com.au ...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And the latest from ABC - Cloud seeders claim snow success
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200407/s1151898.htm
Quote:

Some of the best skiing conditions in the last four years may be due to a controversial program of seeding clouds with silver iodide.

With most of New South Wales suffering severe drought, ski resorts are enjoying excellent conditions with reports of consistently good falls of dry, powder snow.

Snowy Hydro spokesman Terry Charlton says the early evidence suggests their experiment with cloud seeding has played a role.

"At this stage it is purely anecdotal," he said.

"Simply that we are, with the very sophisticated gear that we've got, able to identify the cloud conditions, know that it's not going to snow in particular cloud conditions, then seed and then get some snow."
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And one year on another update from the Weekend Australian
Quote:
A CLOUD seeding trial in the NSW Snowy Mountains boosted snowfall by 25 per cent in its first year, initial research shows.

NSW Primary Industries Minister Ian Macdonald said samples taken from the trial area showed snowfall increased well above the project's 10 per cent target.

But he said more scientific evidence was needed over several seasons to verify the results.

So the experimental seeding is going to be repeated this season.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting that this experiment is being done by the Hydro company. I wonder if there are motives other than supporting the skiing industry. The Snowy River scheme diverts waters from the Snowy River (that cascades off the mountains straight into the Tasman Sea) and into the Murray basin inland, which is Australia's richest agricultural area, but heavily dependent on irrigation. A lot of hydro power is generated in the process, in cavernous underground power stations (I visited one half a lifetime ago). None of this works without precipitation of course, NSW is gripped by drought at the moment, and there are a hell of a lot more farmers than ski tourism workers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do you think it would work for Scotland?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It has been suggested but not to my knowledge tested in Scotland.

Conspiracy thoerists blame the disasterous Lynmouth floods in 1952 on cloud seed trials by the MOD Shocked

However I guess that the events last summer in nearby Boscastle proved that nature can also deliver its own spectacular results.

Might be worth buying some big rockets this Guy Faulks and having a go here next season Twisted Evil
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy