Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best for reliable snow in France? Possibly but...

Poster: A snowHead
I thought Val Thorens but hey ho..

Plus a few other odd choices in Peter Hardys 10 best French ski resorts

https://12ft.io/proxy?ref=&q=https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ski/advice/10-best-ski-resorts-france/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would have gone for Val Thorens or Tignes, but Les Arcs seems a reasonable choice as well. I reckon he chose Les Arcs to stop the 3 Vallees winning too many categories! With these sort of rankings, it's difficult to avoid just listing the bigger areas as they tend to have something for everyone.

Likewise, it's difficult to see why Serre Chevalier is better for intermediates than the usual suspects like Les Arcs / La Plagne / 3 Vallees.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Likewise, it's difficult to see why Serre Chevalier is better for intermediates than the usual suspects like Les Arcs / La Plagne / 3 Vallees.

Maybe it's what economists would call their "comparative advantage". But these newspaper articles are usually fairly daft.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@denfinella, @pam w, and I think we can probably now lay claim to the most expensive lift pass Twisted Evil
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val Thorens has put back their planned opening on the 19th of Nov. Now scheduled for the 26th of November. (courtesy of Le Dauphine.)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It’s a bit of froth to sell some advertising.
To experienced skiers it’s nice to see their resort mentioned for some reason, though not necessarily the right one and wonder why others weren’t mentioned (no val cenis for example) or indeed if the author knows what he is talking about (describing arc 1950 as Savoyard for example where there is not a single building like it in the whole Savoie)
To people who’ve never skied it is completely meaningless.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnE wrote:
or indeed if the author knows what he is talking about (describing arc 1950 as Savoyard for example where there is not a single building like it in the whole Savoie)

Peter Hardy should know what he is talking about... so as you point out the Arc 1950 Disneyland example is a bit odd.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That is by no means the only example of the widespread mis-use of "Savoyard". Many a vast high rise concrete slab, covered in wood, has been so described. Like somebody on Snowheads describing Val d'Isere as "quaint" and "villagey".
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Many a vast high rise concrete slab, covered in wood, has been so described

Perhaps with more justification than Arc1950. There are a lot of them in the Savoie, A fair number in capital Chambery for example (and the old capital Turin). Well actually having watched 1950 being built, that is exactly what it is "a vast high rise concrete slab, covered in wood" so perhaps Peter Hardy is actually correct.

I take it back.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Weather to Ski site says it's Tignes/Val D'Isere:

"L'Espace Killy is often regarded as having the most reliable snow in the Alps, primarily due to the extent of high altitude skiing (60% of its 300km of slopes are above 2500m).

Although it's on the northern side of the Alps, its proximity to the Italian border means that snow can also arrive from the south-east, a privilege not extended to other nearby mega-resorts such as Courchevel or La Plagne. Throw in a couple of glaciers and nowhere else in Europe can offer such a variety of snow sure slopes for such a long season".

My only experience to back this up, was a pre Christmas trip staying at Courchevel 1850 - where there was so little snow that there was only 1 run open. Crystal bused us twice to Val Thorens (which takes a surprisingly long time) and once to Tignes......and the snow at Tignes was considerably better.

I had wanted to go to Tignes, but my Mother who was on the trip wanted a particular hotel in Courchevel....so that is what we did.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Although it's on the northern side of the Alps, its proximity to the Italian border means that snow can also arrive from the south-east, a privilege not extended to other nearby mega-resorts such as Courchevel or La Plagne.

This is a bit hard to figure out. The Italian border is actually Nort East of Val d'Isere. Italy is perhaps only 1 or 2 km closer to Val d'Isere than Les Arcs and Tignes is further from Italy than Les Arcs.

Basically I do not beleive it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Although it's on the northern side of the Alps, its proximity to the Italian border means that snow can also arrive from the south-east, a privilege not extended to other nearby mega-resorts such as Courchevel or La Plagne.

This is a bit hard to figure out. The Italian border is actually Nort East of Val d'Isere. Italy is perhaps only 1 or 2 km closer to Val d'Isere than Les Arcs and Tignes is further from Italy than Les Arcs.

Me, I don't know...But Fraser Wilkin, the chap who wrote it and is responsible for the website, is supposed to have a lifetime (since 1978) studying/understanding/researching Alpine weather and snow conditions. He's on Twitter - so maybe you can ask him to justify the statement; or https://www.weathertoski.co.uk/about-1/contact-us/

His answer would be interesting. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnE wrote:
Quote:

I do, you can have snow in Val d'Isere from a retour de l'est and none in Tignes. The nearest Val d'Isere pistes are 3.5km from Italy, the nearest les Arcs pistes are 11km with a valley between that blocks weather systems - plus the Italian side doesn't benefit from strong retour de l'est systems. The nearest Tignes pistes are 15km away with the Bellevarde blocking the weather.

Conversely Val d'Isere, being an interior range, is colder and doesn't benefit quite as much from atlantic weather fronts as somewhere like la Clusaz, for example.

If you want the best snow its found in Beaufortain... les Saisies.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
Quote:

Do a season or two in the Espace Killy - you'll believe it!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
johnE wrote:
Quote:

It’s just been badly phrased. It has nothing to do with the Italian border; rather proximity to the other side of the main alpine ridge (ie W-NW-N of it or SE side of it). If you look at a satellite map of the Alps, you’ll see essentially the whole width of the Alps blocks any storms from the SE reaching Courchevel and Les Arcs, while Val d’Isere sits right in the middle of the main alpine ridge so some snow will reach it from the south. OTOH, by the same mechanism Val D will get less snow than Courch/Les A when it comes from the west or north as it is in turn more sheltered/in the ‘precipitation shadow’ of other mountains.
snow conditions
As am aside to the thread title, pleased La Clusaz got a mention! Us and the smalls (age 7 & 9 at the time) had a lovely time there for Feb half term in 2019.
latest report
Serre Che has always been a favourite with the Torygraph, and my apartment was recommended in it a year or so ago. However, the ski school recommendation is absolutely spot on, but if you want to take advantage of their recommended accommodation, you will have to meet you instructor in Monetier and catch the bus (or ski) from Chantemerle.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy