Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot flex for kids

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Need to get boots for the kids - 10 and 12. They were on Lange RSJ 60 and 65 last year. Move up to 65 and 70 this year or go one level stiffer? They are very strong skiers but my daughter is light 32kg and not sure of the benefit?

There seems to be a big weight difference between the 60 and 65 flex (circa 1250 per boot) vs the 70 and 90 (circa 1800g per boot!)

Appreciate feedback from anyone with experience of moving their kids on to stiffer boots and how it impacted their skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@BobinCH, you know my views on adult flex ... but are they comfortable/happy? can you see them overflexing?

I skied lace up leather boots till I was 12 snowHead Evil or Very Mad ...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, you know my views on adult flex ... but are they comfortable/happy? can you see them overflexing?

I skied lace up leather boots till I was 12 snowHead Evil or Very Mad ...

They were very happy on those Lange models last year but they are getting bigger and stronger and skiing harder. But I fear a big jump in flex / weight of boots might be counter productive. Pretty sure I will just move my daughter up to RSJ 65. But for my son who is 12 going on 13 and 43kg I think I should move him up to the 70 this year but am interested in feedback from anyone who has made this shift.

https://www.lange-boots.com/en-cn/product/rsj-65

https://www.lange-boots.com/product/rs-70-short-cuff
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, so when skiing, your daughter could be just over 11% boot by weight? I suppose she'll stay upright just by force of low mass - like a Weeble.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Richard_Sideways wrote:
@BobinCH, so when skiing, your daughter could be just over 11% boot by weight? I suppose she'll stay upright just by force of low mass - like a Weeble.

I suppose so. But what about when she does a backflip Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In theory, she should just rotate around the centre of mass, and just land upright, like flipping a bottle.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And interested if anyone has experience of these K2 Evolvers (was there a Full Tilt Junior booot?) which look more freestyle /freeride oriented than the 70 flex Junior race boots
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, the 65 and 70 that I have are totally different boots (albeit maybe 5 yrs old now as they get handed down, so could all have changed). The flex figures appear entirely random to me - the 70 feels like a MUCH stiffer boot when you hold it and try and flex it. The materials are very different, the quality of clips etc. is also much higher on the 70.

My kids however didn't seem to notice; my son went from skiing for 2 yrs in the RS70 models, back to an RSJ65 when that was the only model I could easily get that fitted him. Now he skis (and happily races) in Tecnica Cochise touring boots!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks @snowdave, it does look like they are very different boots. Interesting your son didn’t notice!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes Bob I went through this in the summer with my son. He’s 12 and weighs 35kgs and I think you know how he skis.
He’d grown out of his 65 Atomic race boot and I got his coach to look at him in Peer in the summer and he said he was crushing the boot, so we went up to the Lange as above, but the 90 Short Cuff, because he’s small.
The good thing about the Lange is that there’s 2 screws in the back, that can be removed one at a time, each reducing the stiffness by approx 7. We started with 1 out and he said they were fine, so we’ve stuck with it.
Now he also has the FT version of the K2 boot above, which he says are a lot softer. Given the choice, he says he’d use the Lange for Alpine training and carving, but would rather use the FT for off-piste, freestyle and moguls. Obviously he can still ski off-piste and throw a backflip in the Langes and carve ok in the FT, but they are different boots better suited to different activities.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
doddsie wrote:
Yes Bob I went through this in the summer with my son. He’s 12 and weighs 35kgs and I think you know how he skis.
He’d grown out of his 65 Atomic race boot and I got his coach to look at him in Peer in the summer and he said he was crushing the boot, so we went up to the Lange as above, but the 90 Short Cuff, because he’s small.
The good thing about the Lange is that there’s 2 screws in the back, that can be removed one at a time, each reducing the stiffness by approx 7. We started with 1 out and he said they were fine, so we’ve stuck with it.
Now he also has the FT version of the K2 boot above, which he says are a lot softer. Given the choice, he says he’d use the Lange for Alpine training and carving, but would rather use the FT for off-piste, freestyle and moguls. Obviously he can still ski off-piste and throw a backflip in the Langes and carve ok in the FT, but they are different boots better suited to different activities.

Thanks! I thought both 70 and 90 were SC? My boy also has the Cochise tech boots but didn’t like them as much due to the 90 flex. Sounds like the FT/K2 could be the winner. Is the fit much different to Lange?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
He wears both boots in the same size. Says the toe box is similar on both, but the Lange is a lot tighter fitting in the ankle and cuff.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
doddsie wrote:
He wears both boots in the same size. Says the toe box is similar on both, but the Lange is a lot tighter fitting in the ankle and cuff.

Great thanks mate!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, offpisteskiing jr #1 was skiing in FT Plush 70s last winter.

155cms / 38/40kg -ish last winter. I wouldn't want to put him in anything stiffer yet I don't think - the boots certainly weren't a limiting factor, and the coaches at his freeski club were properly ragging the kids around in all conditions...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy