Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Glasses for low light conditions

Poster: A snowHead
I skied a lot in the Dolomites last season. The weather was often fantastic and started skiing without a helmet and goggles, just sunglasses.

If conditions are shash, I'll likely revert to helmet and low light goggled but I'm looking to buy some glasses for this season that would be good in low light conditions and towards the last run when light is poor.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I use the smoke version of these, they are excellent for skiing, super lightweight, they keep the wind out of your eyes better than other glasses that I have used, no loss of peripheral vision, the best and cheapest ski glasses that I have ever used. One pair was still perfectly ok after two ski trips but at that price they can be treated as disposable.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-stealth-amber-lens-safety-spectacle/731fr
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@tangowaggon, these sorts of things look good - but those don't look dark enough (for me).

@sean1967,
Quote:

weather was often fantastic and started skiing without a helmet and goggles

Puzzled cos good weather protects your head in a fall? Just sayin' ...

Anyhoo, you're thinking of carrying 2 pairs? Weird.

I'd look at changeable lenses either physical e.g. Smith or photochromic. I have a pair of Serengeti's that adjust pretty quickly between cat 2 and 3. Remarkably effective for everyday wear. For skiing I'd probably (myself) want between grades 4 and 2 and probably a brownish lens.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Similar to @tango waggon, but I use Bolle Rush+ Twilight for poor light and Smoke for sunny days
https://amzn.eu/d/hAyXzYp
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a pair of Bolle photochromatic sunglasses with some interchangeable lenses which where great last season in March but in Jan I will be wearing my Smiths
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oakley Clifden glacier glasses with prizm snow lenses. Look cool AF Very Happy. Not Pit Viper cool, but nearly
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aldi/lidl/sports direct etc often have cycling glasses with changeable lenses pretty cheap. You could try those while you decide which low light lens suits you best.
People normally go yellow but I find that pink gives me better definition, some people find blue best so probably better to swop around, find what works best for you then invest in a quality pair with that colour.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oakley Prizm Hi-Pink

Amazing in flat/low light.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lots of threads on this - I favour Oakley Rose Prizm, but Prizm Hi Pink good for absolutely flat and very low light, although others really favour Smith optics…..

And this based on 30 years at altitude skiing and climbing, having used for low light Bolle, Uvex, Cebe, Oakley, Smith, Dragon, Trespass (and wearing nothing….not recommended).

The Prizm series is just a massive breakthrough in psycho and physio optics in my view…..
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think the OP is looking for Low Light Sunglasses. There are models with interchangeable lenses, but I don't see a low light Prizm option like Prizm Rose/Persimmon/Hi Pink. There is a Prizm Snow range, which I don't think includes a low light lens.

This is the best I've seen - designed for cycling (75 VLT): https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Jawbreaker-Sunglasses-%252d-Polished-Black-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Low-Light.html

Or with a Flak 2.0 XL, which could be purchased with the reasonably versatile Prizm Snow lens (13 VLT) and a spare Prizm Low Light lens (75% VLT): https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flak-2.0-XL-Replacement-Lens-Kit-%252d-Prizm-Low-Light.html

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flak-2.0-XL-Sunglasses-%252d-Steel-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Snow-Sapphire.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 23-11-22 13:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Once the good light goes it time for beer or wine glasses.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, they do have this which I think is the equivalent of the Prizm Rose goggles lens - prizm rose has 28% VTL this has 30%

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flak-2.0-XL-Sunglasses-%252d-Polished-Black-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Golf.html
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
valais2 wrote:
@Old Fartbag, they do have this which I think is the equivalent of the Prizm Rose goggles lens - prizm rose has 28% VTL this has 30%

https://www.rxsport.co.uk/products/Oakley-Flak-2.0-XL-Sunglasses-%252d-Polished-Black-%7B47%7D-Prizm-Golf.html

I don't know to what extent Oakley tailor their lenses for Snow and in the Golf version - to help read greens.....but as you say, the VLT is certainly similar (Rose 26% vs Golf 30%).

I got the Half Jacket XLJ Golf Array over 20 years ago, which had the old Golf G30 (30%) lens as one of the options - which I have used for skiing. I also bought an extra Persimmon lens for fog.

I find the Prizm Torch lens in goggles (Daughter has Sapphire) covers a wide range - and I have Prizm Rose for low light (I think Hi Pink would be better) - so I think my advice would be to get the Snow Sapphire (13%) or ideally Snow Torch (19%), along with the Low Light lens. The extra Lens comes with a small bag to store them in, so are easy to carry and change over.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Old Fartbag, "I don't know to what extent Oakley tailor their lenses for Snow and in the Golf version - to help read greens.....but the VLT is similar (Rose 26% vs Golf 30%)."

Magenta in lens will fully oppose green in scenery to in effect give a monochromatic "read" of the image in front of you. Presumably to distribute the image further across our rods and cones to make a more effective contrast image for appreciation. Pink is closer to Magenta.
Rose, being more red would oppose the cyan element of originating light. Blend of the two will move variously those colour contribution around our eye response.
Classic colour blindness is ordinarily in this area I believe, with those affected maybe seeing this lens area if colour manipulation significantly different to others.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oakley say their Prizm lenses are optimised for different environments eg. Road, Water, Golf, Trail, Field, Snow, Everyday. Some with the same name eg Snow Torch and Trail Torch.

https://www.sportrx.com/blog/oakley-prizm-prescription-lenses/
snow report
I'm a bit confused by the question - if conditions are bad enough you're going to be wearing low light goggles. So you're only really talking about conditions which aren't that bad - in which case any yellow lens working/cycling glasses Cat 1 would do the job*. I'd save the fancy lens tech for your goggles when it might really make a difference.

I had some yellow lens cycling glasses from Decathlon for under a fiver. Though I carried them in my pocket a couple of times skiing decided that didn't really like glasses skiing so gave them to my mum post her cataracts surgery for driving.

* asssuming you don't have any specific eye problems.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm somewhat in agreement - but I can see why someone might want to wear Sunglasses in misty flat light - but where it isn't very cold or snowing.

I am one of those who thinks the Oakley Prizm snow lenses do a better job in flat light - so it could be worth seeking them out in some Sunnies. Personally, I would only wear Sunglasses when it's bright and not too cold, as Goggles are much warmer.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@tangowaggon, these sorts of things look good - but those don't look dark enough (for me).

@sean1967,
Quote:

weather was often fantastic and started skiing without a helmet and goggles

Puzzled cos good weather protects your head in a fall? Just sayin' ...

Anyhoo, you're thinking of carrying 2 pairs? Weird.

And we have a bite! Little Angel

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd like glasses with Oakley Hi Pink but it seems they don't make them. I think I'll go with the yellow safety glasses idea unless I can find some of the low light Flaks at a decent price.
snow conditions
@No Style,
Quote:

Once the good light goes it time for beer or wine glasses.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I'm somewhat in agreement - but I can see why someone might want to wear Sunglasses in misty flat light - but where it isn't very cold or snowing.

I am one of those who thinks the Oakley Prizm snow lenses do a better job in flat light - so it could be worth seeking them out in some Sunnies. Personally, I would only wear Sunglasses when it's bright and not too cold, as Goggles are much warmer.

I think I only wore goggles about ....er actually I can't remember wearing goggles for either my feb half term trip or the gnarlibug bash last season it (I) was always too warm for goggles, horrible sweaty things that I avoid on all but snowy & bitterly cold days
ski holidays
The prizm golf, snow and fishing lenses all do different contrasts - I've got some of each, and don't work that well for other uses - tried the shallow water fishing lenses for golf and it wasn't good at all, apart from looking for balls in the pond, which they were excellent for Very Happy

I'm all good with the sapphire prizm lenses in snow on a low light day. Totally murky and it's time for goggles, but Oakley Clifdens are my go to on most days touring and inbounds. Can be had nice and cheap with a bit of shopping around.

But pit vipers look cooler.
snow conditions
Personally I only like to wear goggles when it's snowing and I've interchangeable lenses a bit of a pain. And these Bolle safety glasses are cheap as chips.

Also I've a propensity to lose/damage sunnies.

Photochromatic seem the way to go if you have the budget not prone to losing or damaging your sunnies.
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
The prizm golf, snow and fishing lenses all do different contrasts - I've got some of each, and don't work that well for other uses - tried the shallow water fishing lenses for golf and it wasn't good at all, apart from looking for balls in the pond, which they were excellent for Very Happy

I'm all good with the sapphire prizm lenses in snow on a low light day. Totally murky and it's time for goggles, but Oakley Clifdens are my go to on most days touring and inbounds. Can be had nice and cheap with a bit of shopping around.

But pit vipers look cooler.

You have confirmed two of my thoughts ie. Prizm Snow lenses are indeed better for snow and a Prizm Sapphire lens in Sunglasses would cover all but the worst conditions. The Cliftons are also available with the Prizm Torch lens, which is a touch lighter than the Sapphire.

I also think wearing Sunglasses may be an age thing - as that is what us oldies always wore with our woolly hat - unless it was snowing.
ski holidays
I wear Oakley goggles and prizm polarised lenses in all conditions with helmet, but for sunnies I use SunGod blue polarised and black if bluebird (winter sun terraces and summer mountain hiking not skiing)
ski holidays
We have Smith Chromapop lenses in our goggles (similar tech to Prizm) and they are very easy on the yeys ...
latest report
Old Fartbag wrote:
...I also think wearing Sunglasses may be an age thing - as that is what us oldies always wore with our woolly hat - unless it was snowing.
I used to be an only-sunglasses person. My early goggles were small traditional things and I didn't like the peripheral vision limitations, hence I seldom used them.

Then I went somewhere much colder... where sunglasses didn't keep my face frost free. I bought the biggest goggles then available, which were as it turned out a pre-cursor of all modern large goggle designs (Scott Big Ass View). They didn't annoy me like trad goggles did, and I never went back to sunglasses as it's too much faff to carry two sets of stuff.

Anyway, my point being... old folk may want to try new technology, as it's not remotely as bad as it was. For me, photochromic is the only way to go.
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:

Anyway, my point being... old folk may want to try new technology, as it's not remotely as bad as it was. For me, photochromic is the only way to go.

I went with the Flight Decks due the the great field of vision - which like you, was my main issue with old style goggles. I wear them most of the time - unless it's warm and sunny and I'm not going that fast.

My Kids (now adults), on the other hand, would never even consider skiing in Sunglasses.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the input. I've gone down the photochromic route and found some Julbo LAFs with a VLT range of 17 - 75% at a nice price. Low end will be a bit bright but I've always got my dark Couloirs with me for very bright sun and terrace-based pints schnarfing.

Regarding skiing in glasses, if it's to be a snowy day, I'll revert to helmet and goggles. But if it's clear I do like glasses only. Cool I ski mostly in the Dolomites during the quiet weeks, no off piste, no attempts to break land speed records.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967 wrote:
Thanks for all the input. I've gone down the photochromic route and found some Julbo LAFs with a VLT range of 17 - 75% at a nice price. Low end will be a bit bright but I've always got my dark Couloirs with me for very bright sun and terrace-based pints schnarfing.

Regarding skiing in glasses, if it's to be a snowy day, I'll revert to helmet and goggles. But if it's clear I do like glasses only. Cool I ski mostly in the Dolomites during the quiet weeks, no off piste, no attempts to break land speed records.

Sensible choice.
ski holidays
Serengeti with Sedona lenses in low light.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy