Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Video Snow Reports - #blueskie - Good idea?

 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In todays social age, would video snow reports be a good way to share conditions? Tiktok has great following and quick video sharing so thought I would try that out - but somewhat out of my depth technically. It seems more suitable than Facebook or instagram - but not sure how to build a sharing community. Any thoughts?
I've posted a few videos with the #blueskie (note spelling, as in blue ski everywhere)
Is this a good way to share short videos showing conditions? Want to join in?
Better idea? Other formats?
Can anyone help make this work?

I plan to post a short videos from Tignes in a few weeks when there on a Bash in December - and hope others do similar
See here - hope this link works: https://www.tiktok.com/@blueskie_ski_club

(ps will probably change the name of this profile when I am allowed end Nov to just blueskie snow or similar - its to share snow condition videos.)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you want a Tiktok following, do your reports with a little dance to a current popular music track.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah yes ... but haven't worked out how to add music, and no one wants to see me dance. ...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
most resorts have live webcams nowadays
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The only video I care to see is the timelapse of the snowstake cam. Tells me everything I need to know including whether the snow came in after close/grooming. Otherwise it's just generic weather reporting. Some highly specialised stuff like these aspects above this elevation have Xcm while generally its only Ycm might be interesting but I'd also want that with decent avy intel so I'd be reading the avy report anyway.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Webcams like this are ideal - alas not current…


https://www.teleport.io/view?feedId=zrrxhkayanlbdg8zudsm&view=full
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Webcams are useful - but isn't there something nice about seeing people enjoying on/off piste? ... tends also to show the quality of snow. The videos I posted on tiktok are nice - although most of the time things aren't that nice.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@BobinCH, agree, that's a great webcam ... anyone know of others similar?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pisteoff wrote:
Webcams are useful - but isn't there something nice about seeing people enjoying on/off piste? ... tends also to show the quality of snow. The videos I posted on tiktok are nice - although most of the time things aren't that nice.


Yeah but that's just a generic amateur video of someone skiing off piste not really anything about actual conditions. If I'm going to go looking for something I'd rather it be a tight pro edit or a jerry blooper reel. If you can conjure up a yardsale of the day, preferably with some claiming preamble about your awesomeness then I can see where you might get a following.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pisteoff wrote:
@BobinCH, agree, that's a great webcam ... anyone know of others similar?


With the webcam I have on our apartment I move it around depending on what's happening as you can see from the two images below.

A rather beautiful morning here!



And then our snowometer & van roof Laughing



Depending on your browser security settings you might or might not be able to see the webcam on the link below.

That said I'm in the process of getting an https feed and from December 2nd we get fibre as opposed to the antiquated ADSL we've been putting up with.

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a gateway to other things

I run the Niseko WOW instagram account and re-post daily weather info from Hanazono Golf in the green months and re-post the 360 Niseko snow report in the winter months

This gives the viewer / follower an indication of current weather but I use it to supplement a post or story showing some action and/or historical context

If you have the time, do it
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pisteoff wrote:
In todays social age, would video snow reports be a good way to share conditions? Tiktok has great following and quick video sharing so thought I would try that out - but somewhat out of my depth technically. It seems more suitable than Facebook or instagram - but not sure how to build a sharing community. Any thoughts?
I've posted a few videos with the #blueskie (note spelling, as in blue ski everywhere)
Is this a good way to share short videos showing conditions? Want to join in?
Better idea? Other formats?
Can anyone help make this work?

I plan to post a short videos from Tignes in a few weeks when there on a Bash in December - and hope others do similar
See here - hope this link works: https://www.tiktok.com/@blueskie_ski_club

(ps will probably change the name of this profile when I am allowed end Nov to just blueskie snow or similar - its to share snow condition videos.)


IMHO the name is weak and difficult to remember / find
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Pow wrote:


IMHO the name is weak and difficult to remember / find


Better suggestions very welcome! Needs to be searchable /taggable. But would anyone use Tiktok for this? (might broaden the audience?) Better perhaps as its own website? But then need to host large number of videos, sort and make them searchable .... hoping Tiktok or other will make this easier
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pisteoff wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:


IMHO the name is weak and difficult to remember / find


Better suggestions very welcome! Needs to be searchable /taggable. But would anyone use Tiktok for this? (might broaden the audience?) Better perhaps as its own website? But then need to host large number of videos, sort and make them searchable .... hoping Tiktok or other will make this easier


What's your aim please? You're expected/hoped for outcome?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pisteoff wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:


IMHO the name is weak and difficult to remember / find


Better suggestions very welcome! Needs to be searchable /taggable. But would anyone use Tiktok for this? (might broaden the audience?) Better perhaps as its own website? But then need to host large number of videos, sort and make them searchable .... hoping Tiktok or other will make this easier


Do you want multiple people to send you ski videos each day to post on your TikTok to show daily conditions in different places? Or do you want to give multiple (hundreds?) of people the log-in to your TikTok to post themselves? Or do you just want skiers on TikTok to include your hashtag when posting to their own accounts?

All 3 are problematic, and I don’t think you’ve really understood the platform. Or tbh understood what’s already out there on social media - if you just wanna see videos of skiing in current conditions then just follow the hashtags of those regions (ie #chamonix) on Instagram and check the story/feed if said hashtag whenever curious.
ski holidays
 Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
As mentioned by @clarky999, what are you looking to do that isn't already currently out there? See The World always used to do weekly snow reports on youtube, that were 3-4 mins long and covered the current conditions and the up and coming weather. Great to see how things were looking as you approached your trip. Not sure how many resorts they covered (but at least VT, Courchevel, La Plagne). That said, I don't remember seeing many reports from last year.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam wrote:
pisteoff wrote:
@BobinCH, agree, that's a great webcam ... anyone know of others similar?


With the webcam I have on our apartment I move it around depending on what's happening as you can see from the two images below.

A rather beautiful morning here!



And then our snowometer & van roof Laughing



Depending on your browser security settings you might or might not be able to see the webcam on the link below.

That said I'm in the process of getting an https feed and from December 2nd we get fibre as opposed to the antiquated ADSL we've been putting up with.

https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html


Ah I better understand what that pole is now. Looked like some huge bizarre sculpture from the webcam feed (where incidentally the tilt in the corners makes it unpleasant viewing at least for me)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Handy Turnip wrote:
As mentioned by @clarky999, what are you looking to do that isn't already currently out there? See The World always used to do weekly snow reports on youtube, that were 3-4 mins long and covered the current conditions and the up and coming weather. Great to see how things were looking as you approached your trip. Not sure how many resorts they covered (but at least VT, Courchevel, La Plagne). That said, I don't remember seeing many reports from last year.


Just to say I basically agree with this. Is this something you'd want to do as a revenue stream and thus need lots of contributors and wide viewership or is it just a hobby thing you'd do when you were on trips? And are you really aspiring to anything different to that which switched on tourist offices or platforms like WePowder put out?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Weathercam, surely time for 2 webcams Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah - realised my rookie error. Overlap between Snowheads and Tiktok is about 0 ...
So slightly different question / extension - is there another way to share snow reports, on the ground (snow, we hope) video and best places to ski etc. I know the SCGB snow reports (from a rep in resort) were very popular, I miss them and wondered if something similar but more C21 could be devised
I like the concept of short videos of happy skiers (like those on the #blueskie tiktok) - perhaps some other forum to share? https://www.tiktok.com/@blueskie_ski_club?lang=en
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@pisteoff, this is the snowheads way of sharing real life snowreports, works very well from people living in resorts/visiting etc

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/snow_reports.php?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pisteoff wrote:

So slightly different question / extension - is there another way to share snow reports, on the ground (snow, we hope) video and best places to ski etc.


Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, WhatsApp, email newsletter, a blog, OnlyFans, etc etc.

Plus as above a whole section of Snowheads.

It’s all already out there and easily available…
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
some resorts doing live YouTube feeds, will be great to see where snow/rain limit is and early season watching ie


http://youtube.com/v/yDKJMdZTEXQ&feature=emb_logo
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
[quote="clarky999"]
pisteoff wrote:

OnlyFans, etc etc.


Slightly scared by where you are going with this....Anyway it's cold out there.

I don't think the actual medium matters that much though I perceive TikTok is largely about dance memes, make up tips, blooper reels, video magickry and odd weird moments of awesome so it'd be hard to cut through there.

What matters is content that is useful/engaging enough to get a following. My perception is that SCGB snow reports died on their back bottom because of a) cost and b) lack of an advantage over resort reports when they upped their gain and started reporting properly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
[quote="Dave of the Marmottes"]
clarky999 wrote:
pisteoff wrote:

OnlyFans, etc etc.


Slightly scared by where you are going with this....Anyway it's cold out there.



Laughing Laughing

It’s obviously best known for porn, but the subscription model would actually make it a pretty ideal platform for anyone who wanted to make a daily ‘actual snow conditions video report’ - if there’s enough demand for that to be viable financially anyway. I mean you could on YouTube too but you’d need to either grovel to sponsors or go *massively* viral (YouTube’s own ads) to fund it.

But I’m still confused as to whether the OP just doesn’t realise what content/resources are already out there, or if he thinks they aren’t good enough and wants to start something new himself?

Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

I don't think the actual medium matters that much though I perceive TikTok is largely about dance memes, make up tips, blooper reels, video magickry and odd weird moments of awesome so it'd be hard to cut through there.

What matters is content that is useful/engaging enough to get a following. My perception is that SCGB snow reports died on their back bottom because of a) cost and b) lack of an advantage over resort reports when they upped their gain and started reporting properly.


If I’ve understood the OP I’d say platform does matter, because he wants - I think - ‘as it’s happening’ videos of skiing in current conditions and Instagram Stories (and Snapchat but that’s doomed I think) are designed to be exactly that sort of ‘this was created in the last 24 hours’ content. So if that us what he wants, OP just needs to go follow some resorts, skiers and tourism boards on IG and all good Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks, loads of good insight as ever .. however I am slightly confused also. If you (or for the sake of this thread OP) want up to date 'on the snow' reports of 'skiers like me' I need to follow some resorts and instagram (IG?) accounts - and snowheads written reports as and when. I've no doubt that works to some extent, however it lacks a common and searchable thread, and lacks the sharing dynamic. No doubt one or two active 'groups' of people, but no easy way to say answer a question like "what's looking good in the French Alps" or even just sharing the pleasure of a good day out.
I can see Tiktok is probably not the medium - perhaps instagram?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pisteoff wrote:
Thanks, loads of good insight as ever .. however I am slightly confused also. If you (or for the sake of this thread OP) want up to date 'on the snow' reports of 'skiers like me' I need to follow some resorts and instagram (IG?) accounts - and snowheads written reports as and when. I've no doubt that works to some extent, however it lacks a common and searchable thread, and lacks the sharing dynamic.


Yes, people skiing regularly in whichever region + pro skiers + instructors/guides will all be posting regularly to Instagram Stories (these are videos that stay online for 24 hours) of what they were skiing - and therefore showing what it was like. Resorts will be doing the same and also re-sharing the stories of whoever was skiing in their regions + has tagged them in their own story. The snow conditions threads on snow heads are also really useful for those sort of reports but words/photos more than video.

All the above are searchable, shareable, and can be shared/posted to yourself too. You can for example search on Instagram for a location (NOT a page or account run by an organisation buy a location on a map) and see all the stories posted by everyone who has used that location tag within the last 24 hours, and if you post a story to your own Instagram using that location tag it will (depending on your privacy settings) be visible to anyone else who wants to check it too.

pisteoff wrote:
no easy way to say answer a question like "what's looking good in the French Alps"


Well there IS no easy way to answer that given all the variables, but if you want some sort of aggregation of all the relevant info - weather forecast, recent and past weather, up to date reports from real people on the ground - without having to do the work to stay on top of it all yourself, you can either: pay a guide to do it for you, you can ask on here, or you can use a service like wepowder.com (plenty of others exist too).

pisteoff wrote:
or even just sharing the pleasure of a good day out.
I can see Tiktok is probably not the medium - perhaps instagram?


That part (sharing your own thoughts, content and experiences) is exactly what Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube and the Snowheads (and other) forums are for.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@pisteoff, I'd listen to @clarky999 on this because what he does is a certain amount of what you mind find under #Innsbruck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent ... will do. Any others?
snow report



Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy