Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Women’s ski suggestions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I’d quite like to upgrade but I don’t know where to start! About me - 40s, happy on anything on piste other than the Grand Couloirs and Swiss Walls of this world. 163cm, c75-80kg. I’m not the most aggressive of skiers, although I would like to improve and get quicker, but I realise that most women’s skis are designed for skiers 15-20kg lighter than I am so I don’t really have a clue what to go for!

I’m looking for a single pair, probably all-mountain - I’m too risk-averse for proper off-piste but would like something that can deal with a bit of on-piste powder or playing off the side. Thanks to the weather over the years I don’t have much experience with powder at all, although I’d consider myself pretty adept with ice and slush! I’ve been using the same ex-rental TecnoPro skis for about five years, and while I love how predictable and stable they are they are getting a bit boring.

Any suggestions welcome!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My suggestion to put on your list is the Faction Dancer 1X (used to be called "Dictator"). At 86 underfoot it's narrow enough for Piste skiing, but has enough width and front and back rocker, to "Play off to the side". It is the same construction as the men's ski (but with a pink top sheet), so has 2 thin sheets of metal for stability.....But despite this, it is still quite light and has an energetic nature. It shouldn't be boring.

I have no experience of it - but it might be worth looking into it, to see what you think.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 9-11-22 23:04; edited 8 times in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Line Pandora 84. My daughter has the wider 94s and skis them all mountain but she likes to look at off piste/between pistes as much as possible so I think the 84s would suit you better (great looking/graphics as well!]
You'll be more confused by the time you're done with the number of recommendations but remember there's no "bad" skis around just pick something thats aimed at your level.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you like a "stiff ski" (my OH says I do wink) with a medium turn radius (16-18m) ? Salomon Stance 88W perhaps, or Blizzard Brahma 88, or 82. I've never been convinced about the need for women's only skis for myself and the ones I've owned and enjoyed the most have not been. I'm 165cm tall, 62kg (if being honest-60kg if not!), mid 50s. I like a ski that holds an edge on medium to long turns and doesn't feel "twangy" . If that sounds like you, maybe take at look at those. I have a friend who is probably a similar weight to you, though slightly taller, and I think she has always skied "men's" skis.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kastle FX96 - Done! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some good suggestions here (apart from the Kastle FX96 – too wide) and I would add the Nordica Santa Ana in one of the narrower widths (mid 80s sounds perfect for your needs) to the list.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scarlet wrote:
Some good suggestions here (apart from the Kastle FX96 – too wide) and I would add the Nordica Santa Ana in one of the narrower widths (mid 80s sounds perfect for your needs) to the list.

Maybe not the 96 but the FX 86 is a very strong candidate.

These are sublimely good with a very wide skills gateway. This FX series seem able to offer a very easy ski at lower levels of experience/skills while extending right into full out "expert" type usage. For a single ski choice they offer just so much in covering hugely varying snow conditions and well worth considering for the OP.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

http://youtube.com/v/-vcq4v0ugqs
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Standout ski"

http://youtube.com/v/xyD8eQ2ZIzI
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@LittleRos, What Length, Sidecut and Turn Radius are your current skis?

If you are confronted by a baffling array of suggestions, the ideal is to demo those that are in your price range and pick the ones you like......but if that is not a realistic proposition, the following might help guide you in the right direction:

- A dedicated Piste ski is narrow, has minimal tip rocker, full length camber and thus no tail rocker. These give the best performance/edge grip/speed edge to edge...which is why it's preference is On Piste.

- Generally speaking, the further you move away from the design features of a Piste Ski - as in wider waist, longer tip rocker, tail rocker, taper - the better it performs Off Piste, but sacrifices Piste performance.

- Deciding how far to move away from Piste Performance, towards Off Piste performance is very personal - so opinions differ. The decision can be influenced by what you're used to, how much you will actually leave the Piste and how much Piste performance you are prepared to sacrifice, for extra float Off Piste.

- As raised in a previous post, you need to decide whether you like an easier going, lighter Playful ski, or a Damp hard charger, which will be stiffer and heavier and require decent pilot input.

- It is a balancing act, where you need to decide what is important to you and thus what compromises to make.

- My preference for something that is only going to be used around 10-15% of the time Off Piste, is going for something 82 - 86mm underfoot. Other opinions differ. There is no "Right" or "Wrong", only more or less suitable for your own preferences. Always go for what gives the biggest grin.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Old Fartbag wrote:
My suggestion to put on your list is the Faction Dancer 1X (used to be called "Dictator"). At 86 underfoot it's narrow enough for Piste skiing, but has enough width and front and back rocker, to "Play off to the side". It is the same construction as the men's ski (but with a pink top sheet), so has 2 thin sheets of metal for stability.....But despite this, it is still quite light and has an energetic nature. It shouldn't be boring.

I have no experience of it - but it might be worth looking into it, to see what you think.

My wife has a pair of Faction Dictator 1X and finds it very playful and forgiving but can also charge and ideal for all snow types found in mid-altitude resorts such a PDS.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy