Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest way to ski the alps in January

Poster: A snowHead
I have to 2nd www.sunweb.co.uk. Deals can include flights, accommodation, ski pass & ski hire. Val Thorens has some great deals — but note that airport transfer is not included, and the ski pass is for VT only (upgrade to 3V possible).

Most of the cheap Val Thorens accommodation has poor reviews, but that the budget price for you. And as others have said — real the small print!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a look at a few flight options & go from there.
While you may be able to fly to France cheaply (Lyon, Grenoble, Chambrey, Geneva) - transfers can be a lot more expensive.
Austria has lots of resorts that are easy & cheap to get to by train from Salzburg & Innsbruck (even Munich at a push!).
Fly to Turin and you has quite a few resorts accessible by Train/Bus.
You look on sunweb & snowtrex for deals that usually include a lift pass.

Split flights between airlines if you have to, but make sure you meet the most restrictive one for weight limits!

Dont rule out Andorra or Bulgaria as an option - better to go away than not go away!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Given it's two people from S Wales in Jan and they are flexible on exact resort I would be going the TO last minute route.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Point above from Andy n Netty is dead on, and from denfinella.
Sunweb self drive - with petrol prices, a bit more expensive than previous years but some wonderful deals from Sunweb to some smaller more French resorts with a lift pass.
About £500 per head.

Or Easyjet to Grenoble then an airbnb in L2A or ADH (or Chamrousse) and Bens Bus transfer - similar aim price of about £500 less spending
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yellow Snow wrote:
Sunweb self drive - with petrol prices, a bit more expensive than previous years but some wonderful deals from Sunweb to some smaller more French resorts with a lift pass.
About £500 per head.

Or Easyjet to Grenoble then an airbnb in L2A or ADH (or Chamrousse) and Bens Bus transfer - similar aim price of about £500 plus spending
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yellow Snow wrote:
Yellow Snow wrote:
About £500 per head.

Or Easyjet to Grenoble then an airbnb in L2A or ADH (or Chamrousse) and Bens Bus transfer - similar aim price of about £500 plus spending

Because so many tour operators have cut back their inventory to bare bones the last minute market is likely to be a real gamble this year, but could still net a bargain if you are brave enough to hold out
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving with just two people isn't very cost effective. Especially if the vehicle isn't really suitable/set up for mid-winter Alps driving.

I agree the inventory of TO's might not be as high this season but on the flip side the cost of living/economy is probably going to help those that are patient.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I imagine covid has really changed the travel market, but before it was extremely common for tour operators to release late deals for January. January (especially early January) is the least in-demand time of the season to go away, and TOs used to often release some amazing late deals. Things to bear in mind:

- The deals often only work out well if you’re travelling in small numbers, ideally a 2 or 4.
- Last minute means late. You may get some good deals 1-2 weeks out, but the best price drops happen on the Wednesday, Thursday and Friday before travel.
- To get the best deals you may have to be flexible of which resort you go to, your ideal choices may not be priced as low as others. It just depends on what gets sold.

So, maybe not the best option if you want to have security if where you’re going, but certainly it used to be a real mine for bargain deals.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
1. Find something cheap on Sunweb (France) ie £180-£250pp for accommodation and lift pass.
2. Work out how to get there.

This is a far better method of trying to put together a cheap holiday than getting all excited about finding a cheap flight to somewhere first, and then adding on accommodation and lift passes after.

Don't be scared to pay extra for flights if your accommodation and lift pass are dirt cheap. You will still save money overall.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good advice above, also worth noting that Sunweb's prices for last minute are usually about 30% less than their list prices so if you are going out with peak weeks you'll have plenty of options with them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What about easyjet Bristol to Innsbruck weds 11th Jan out and 18th back?
£133 pp including hold luggage.

Then use the train - Austrian trains are pretty cheap and frequent (I have been browsing this morning trying to plan a pre Xmas 5 day trip).

Some of the trains take you right into resort eg Brixen im Thale or kitzbuhel and are a pretty short trip.

Others take you to nearest valley town and then get a shuttle or taxi up valley.

Also - I have been using Heidi.com as a good research tool to find flight / hotel combos and then I investigate DIY cost once I find a hotel I like the look of. The savings are eye watering.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Layne wrote:
Driving with just two people isn't very cost effective. Especially if the vehicle isn't really suitable/set up for mid-winter Alps driving.
I agree the inventory of TO's might not be as high this season but on the flip side the cost of living/economy is probably going to help those that are patient.

What do you mean not set up for Alps driving?: All cars are suitable, if maintained properly and driven properly - get the anti-freeze and oil topped up and some decent chains and away you go. I have driven about 6 different cars down, most more than once. One was a 1.2L petrol Vauxhall Corsa that I drove to Les Arcs twice and La Rosiere - although was a bit of a squish with 3 people, luggage and food. It was great. FWDs and chains are almost better than 4WDs. Went into Les Arcs 1800 mid heavy dump on chains with ease and out on chains on each trip. The best was a Diesel Megane I took to Flaine. Got up in a storm without even touching the chains, while all the big cars inc 4x4s were flapping around we just breezed in on a set of normal Continentals. I was expecting to get pulled over by the Gendarmarie and made to get the chains on but I was waved through. I kept thinking "put them on at the next chain fitting layby" and then we just seemed to get to the top - admittedly the run in to Flaine is not as intense a climb as La Rosiere or Alpe D'Huez however.

Whether it is the cheapest way to travel depends on the flight prices of course, but my current diesel Kadjar does the Alps and back in 2.5 tanks of fuel at £90 per tank plus tolls. Therefore, it could work out reasonably compared to even a cheap flight and transfers into the Tarentaise.

But driving through France is still interesting, even when you have done it as often as I have.

The other way is what I have done for my early Feb trip this year: decide dates, get the EasyJet flights the day they come out and fit everything else together around them. Last minutes, these days is a very big gamble.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I agree driving is straightforward enough - and can be cost-effective even for two people. Depends on what the alternative is. It's easy to overlook the cost (and sometimes inconvenience) of transfers. Driving also gives you the option to get cheaper accommodation and drive to lifts - parking won't be difficult in quiet weeks - and maybe try some different resorts. Chuck in all your stuff, do a lot of grocery shopping in advance. No need to drive on Saturdays. Book a room somewhere like the Ibis Budget hotel in Sallanches.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Yellow Snow, anything is possible.And just because you and I got away with it, it's not necessarily recommended. And there is a question of what the OP is comfortable with.

The point about cost effective is that driving a standard family size car out will be the same for 2 as it is for 4. Whereas flight for sure and maybe transfers is on a per person basis.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Layne wrote:
@Yellow Snow, anything is possible.And just because you and I got away with it, it's not necessarily recommended. And there is a question of what the OP is comfortable with.

The point about cost effective is that driving a standard family size car out will be the same for 2 as it is for 4. Whereas flight for sure and maybe transfers is on a per person basis.

Well spotted Einstein !!!!
latest report
Might be relevant to some here… https://planetski.eu/2022/11/07/train-tickets-to-french-ski-resorts-on-sale-this-week/?fbclid=IwAR24pBJHPwOaVzm6rK79FpipDl0GiaVwyEgLj_8lUQ00vCJ8zBE2e56VwW4
latest report
Here’s a few things to put together.
Cheap January ski pass for PdS
https://en.portesdusoleil.com/prices/liftpass-deals/black-friday.html

Stay here (great location for accessing Avoriaz and PdS)

https://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/residence-du-telepherique.en-gb.html?label=gen173bo-1DCAsoTUIZcmVzaWRlbmNlLWR1LXRlbGVwaGVyaXF1ZUgJWANoUIgBApgBCbgBB8gBDdgBA-gBAfgBA4gCAZgCAqgCA7gC_sjUmwbAAgHSAiQwMjY5MjRiOS1lMjRhLTQ1ZTctYjhiMS0xY2QxYTZjZjZiZmTYAgTgAgE&sid=483c53ac5c69471c81b5295aeee7a075&dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;type=total&

Shared transfers with Skiidy Gonzales or can actually do public bus on a Saturday from GVA airport to Prodains.
ski holidays
Hey Tom, if you are still looking for a cheap ski weekend, come to Via Lattea, Italy Jan 8-16 with me and anyone else I can find Smile
- Cheap lift tickets, 6-days for around $200
- Easy flight into turin, then cheap train to Oulx
- Split lodging costs so nobody has to take out loans!
- I cook great burritos
- I can share some bangin songs you've never heard

Ok I'm done lol. But really, if you're interested or have a better idea please lmk
snow report
EasyJet flight to Geneva, then pick one of the close by resorts for the week. Can easily be done for £650 Self catering per person all in, or around £900 in a chalet.
snow report
Wherever you're going, if it's "low season" look out for off peak lift pass deals, which seem to be appeared. If they require advance purchase to qualify (that's the case in the Espace Diamant) they might not be compatible with last minute decisions.
snow report
@pam w, good point, which may change the whole late booking equation more broadly as resorts move to dynamic pricing.

When I posted 10 days ago, advance purchase ski passes for Chamonix were E26/day. Now they’re E36/day. On a walk-up basis it’s about E50/day, or E150 more for the week. I don’t think any late booking deal with a tour operator will work out cheaper than booking 10 days ago would have been, all-in.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy