Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boot soles...cat tracks etc?

Poster: A snowHead
Hiya,

anyone here have any experience with any of the rubber soles for ski boots. I'm talking Cat tracks, SIDAS, Yaktrax, skiskooty etc.

My poor old knees really hate walking in skiboots and I don't want to buy new gripwalk boots so was wondering if any of these rubber sole thingies would help.

What's the Snowhead take on this?

Ta in advance.

Nik.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gixxerniknik wrote:

My poor old knees really hate walking in skiboots and I don't want to buy new gripwalk boots so was wondering if any of these rubber sole thingies would help.

Depends what sort of help you mean exactly? They will help with grippy on icy pavements, but they won't make any difference to 'cushioning' or help much with knee pain while walking (neither would GripWalk; a boot with walk mode probably would though).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't comment on the knee pain, but I usually use rubber YakTrax and I really like them. They let you walk with a natural, rolling gait. I can basically jog in them. When I lived in America this made a big difference for the long walks across big car parks loaded with ski gear, but in the Alps I don't find I use them as often.

I do find they make a big difference with cushioning and the gait they allow is much nicer. I think you'd have to try a pair to see whether they alleviate your knee pain though.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I seem to remember reading a review a year or so ago on one of the rubber soles that were quite soft and the author did say that they had a cushioning effect. Thinking of a Christmas list item... Dear Santa, I've been a very good boy....!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@gixxerniknik, I have used YakTrax and now have Sidas which do the same job of providing some cushioning and allowing a more normal rocking gait when walking. Without them I find walking an absolute agony for my feet. With them, I can run. Sort of. They are a bit of a faff to get on and off though, which is why I have to run to catch up with everyone rolling eyes

If your boots are the right size there's a pair on ebay at the moment https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/374320108054
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Out of curiosity (and apology if it's slightly off topic) where do you put your cat tracks when you are skiing especially if you don't ski with a backpack? I tried putting in a plastic bag then in my jacket pocket but the resulting dirty liquid in the bag when I take it out was not very pleasant...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@euanovsky, I use a back pack and in any case I can't fit them in my pockets. Perhaps you could use a bit of towelling to absorb the worst of it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I too have the Sidas items.

@euanovsky, I put mine under the inner snow-cuff of my ski trousers. They happily stay there all day.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 Sidas they make walking more comfy & secure. I always ski with a backpack so put them in plastic bags inside. It's slightly difficult to tell the heel end from the toe end, so I've marked them with a bit of bright cord on the heel end.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
They will help with grippy on icy pavements, but they won't make any difference to 'cushioning'
My Cat Tracks produce a quite springy cushioned effect...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
They will help with grippy on icy pavements, but they won't make any difference to 'cushioning'

Likewise. It's quite surprising how effective they are for something so thin.

They do require a fair amount of flexibility and balance to take them on and off boots while you're wearing them (or a little help from a friend).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The big point for me is safe grip on icy days when walking can be very treacherous. Falling onto an icy pavement is even less of a good idea than it used to be.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sugarmoma666 wrote:
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Likewise. It's quite surprising how effective they are for something so thin.

They do require a fair amount of flexibility and balance to take them on and off boots while you're wearing them (or a little help from a friend).

Fair enough, I stand corrected!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cat Tracks work ok but they are a finger trapping nightmare to put on. I've heard some people make a loop of cord on the heel part to add leverage.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AsDave of the Marmottes, and others have mentioned: Cat Tracks can be tricky to put on. Quite easy to take off.
We put them on the night before sitting down in the ski room after taking boots off
Store them in plastic bag in back-pack when skiing.
But then don't bother for the walk home as roads usually cleared by then, and so avoid putting them on outside when cold has made them stiff and rebelious.
latest report
Quote:
Fair enough, I stand corrected!
Never mind Cat Tracks, that'll be down to your orthopaedic insoles wink
snow report
the sidas ones are very heavy duty and have a loop at the rear to aid pulling on and off plus are length adjustable unlike the old cat tracks. currently on sale at

https://www.glideslide.co.uk/ski-equipment/ski-boots/2023-sidas-ski-boot-traction-non-slip-boots-accessory-black__18555?currency=GBP&chosenAttribute=CTRSKIBOOT17&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmaibBhCAARIsAKUlaKQ9rNMw65dJA2l5Mr7or1k0w-UPGjX_itXZ3lg0BA2rQz1bK9Cw3T0aAhY9EALw_wcB

Only know as I just bought a pair Wink
snow report
Brilliant...thanks all. Now on my Christmas list. I'll report back on how they help my poor old knees ...(if I remember that is, I'm over 50 now and have sod all memory to prove it!)
snow report
@mountainaddict,
Quote:

Never mind Cat Tracks, that'll be down to your orthopaedic insoles

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy