Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Warmest base layers

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter - aged 15 - is off to Mont Tremblant in February. She is skinny and always cold so I'm looking for the warmest base layers and socks I can find that aren't wool. When she's tried my merino tops or socks she says they're itchy and goes back to her soft M&S thermals. Any advice on really warm, synthetic layers? She's pretty much finished growing so happy to send more money than on children's gear.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try a synthetic/acrylic running top (they wick brilliantly, and are soft) with Helly Hansen merino on top for warmth. Works a treat for me. For Tremblant you'll probably need a puffy/down layer (or man-made equivalent) under the ski jacket too. I certainly did in Tremblant in January - coldest place I have skied...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and don't forget the tea-bag style hand warmers. They work well and those two little nodes of warmth are a great comfort. Neoprene face mask worth thinking about, too. Heated socks if you're really feeling generous.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
IMV. The job of the base layer is simply to wick away moisture and be reasonably tight against the skin.

The warmth is then built up with layering - and for extra warmth, a Down or Primaloft Gilet is a good idea. The outer layer needs to be wind proof and reasonably waterproof....and can come with decent insulation.

If hands get very cold, look at Mittens along with heated glove liners from the likes of Blazewear.

To keep feet as warm as possible, she needs to make sure Boots are dried each evening.

Keep an eye out on Sport Pursuit and TK Maxx.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Soozm, Baselayers are really good for wicking sweat (although you can get 250+ Icebreakers or synthetic alternative).

For warmth you’ll need a down-filled gilet, under a puffy jacket. You could bake a potato under that*.

(*not really, for the avoidance of doubt)
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@AL9000, Snap!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I find sheep based stuff itchy and use only synthetics. M&S is probably fine, although their clothing is mostly too large for me these days. It's generally easy to pick up polypropylene gear at off-brand prices from lots of places. And no one sees/ cares about the lower layers anyway.

Before someone says, you do obviously have to keep it clean, so two sets are handy as you can wash one and use the other.
Layer-wise I like a compression base layer (just because I like the feel), a fleece layer, then probably a thin down layer topped with a breathable outer shell.

You don't want exposed skin. I prefer a synthetic neck gaiter thing to neoprene - it's a personal choice. You can buy all that stuff in a resort, and may find what they have there is more appropriate than what you may pick up in the UK where the people selling to you have no idea what you need or don't need. They will have supplies of hand/toe warming tea bags in the resort too, they aren't necessarily going to be cheaper in the UK, just buy what you need when you need it. I've never used those, but then I don't spend a lot of time using surface lifts.

Oh yeah, you'd want to use goggles, because of the protection they afford.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Face mask a very good idea, rarely (if ever) needed in Europe, but when the lifties are on "facial frostbite watch" ...

If she really does suffer, heated glove liners and waistcoats e.g. Blazewear or Lenz might be worth investigating?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

just because I like the feel

ooh err, steady on
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

down-filled

I think I'd be going synthetic ... down a bit of a humidity nightmare
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't normally have any problem with cold but my feet were cold in Canada, these made a noticeable difference
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpenheat-Men-Insulation-Boot-Cover/dp/B00ANODJLU/ref=asc_df_B00ANODJLU/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=218086929007&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=4124889147878805441&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006912&hvtargid=pla-422028714704&psc=1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

down-filled

I think I'd be going synthetic ... down a bit of a humidity nightmare

And alot cheaper. But it doesn’t sound like she sweats much.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
Quote:

just because I like the feel

ooh err, steady on

Bring out the gimp! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HH Lifa/merino really are very good (but expensive):

https://www.hellyhansen.com/en_gb/w-lifa-merino-midweight-crew-49378?color=623428

One of these, primaloft gilet and a decent shell.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DJL, hmmm, -15 is not uncommon, and I run reasonably hot, that would not be enough for me ...
snow conditions
Probably a merino pullover as well if so cold. Should have noticed the destination!
snow report
@Soozm, Where/when are your “itchy” base layers from? I have some Helly Hansen merino base layers from about 10 years ago that could be described as scratchy (though I am not particularly sensitive to it), but anything purchased more recently has a completely different feel. Mons Royale and Icebreaker are all very soft and non-scratchy, and way more comfortable than stinky synthetics, so I wouldn't rule them out unless that is what you already have.

Then a couple of lightweight fleeces, an insulated jacket (isn't the east coast relatively dry? If so, down will be fine, or synthetics are pretty good too), and a shell.
latest report
@Scarlet, I find wool itchy other than socks, although I haven't tried anything in about 10 years ...
ski holidays
@under a new name, have a look, you might be surprised. I'm sure you'd be able to try some on in a shop around your way, just don't look at the price tags wink
latest report
@Scarlet,
Quote:

just don't look at the price tags

Looking on the bright side, Icebreakers at least are, in my experience, seemingly indestructible. I've lost count of the number of years I've had mine, and the number of machine washes they've been through.
snow report
Patagonia capilene comes in a range of weights and has an anti smell chemical (silver ion) included in the material. Really recommended.

Also have a couple of Odlo synthetic tops in a heavier weight which are good too and have a functional anti stink technology which works.
ski holidays
@Scarlet, we do have an Icebreaker shop, although Deca might be more reasonable ...
snow report
Hi all - this is brilliant! I posted the question and popped out for a couple of hours and have all this info back! I'll work through it with her. We always go to the alps and apart from a very cold Feb trip to the Arlberg the year of the polar vortex she's never really had a cold skiing holiday. This is a school trip, I was surprised at the location but apparently it's great for accomodation in the half term week.

I think a primaloft or down gilet is going to be key, her jacket is insulated but still got room inside (from Dope). Need to give some thought to gloves too.

Thanks again everyone Very Happy
latest report
Soozm wrote:
Need to give some thought to gloves too.

Someone's probably said this already, but mittens not gloves, and liners (silk or merino). If you can't find anything suitable for really cold weather, don't worry too much and send her with whatever you've got already. There will be somewhere in resort that sells gloves suitable for the local temperatures.
latest report
There are various kit shops at the bottom lifts in Tremblant sure the prices have gone up since I was there. Definitely t-bag handwarmers for each day. Costco normally have boxes on offer.
I would recommend Mountain Warehouse Marino base layers.
ski holidays
Has she said which parts of her body get cold & when?
Is it all the time, or only when on a lift, in a queue, etc.

She does need to layer correctly.
Base layer is to wick, then she needs a mid layer to absorb!
If a base layer is not wicking moisture away from her body, then that moisture is going to get cold and will feel chilly trapped between the body and base layer. Similar if a jacket is lined & waterproof, then it may have low breathability - that could mean more moisture getting trapped between layers that could turn cold. You need to keep warm without sweating. Sounds easy Toofy Grin Puzzled
latest report
@Soozm, I'd give another vote for Mountain Warehouse, but I prefer their much cheaper Talus range to both their merino or Icebreaker (I have both):
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/talus-womens-ls-zip-neck-top-p13382.aspx/black/
https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/talus-womens-base-layer-pants-p13381.aspx/black/
They're warmer and much better at wicking away moisture.

Then for my tuppence worth, I'd add a microfleece eg: https://www.mountainwarehouse.com/montana-womens-half-zip-fleece-p44045.aspx/black/
a silk balaclava, and glove liners rather than those little heat packs (again I'd choose synthetic or silk over merino).

Jacket of choice and she should be ready for the worst.
latest report
Microfleece is a good shout, to go under the midlayer. Perfect for when we run out of energy Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for mittens and extra liners.
snow conditions
Decent budget option from decathlon - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/women-s-skiing-2nd-layer-900-plum/_/R-p-194773?mc=964154&c=PINK

I have an older version of one of these and I rarely wear it because it's too warm. I generally run pretty cold. Also, consider bib trousers. The extra cover round the lower back really keeps the heat in.
snow report
The latest stretchy mons cascade stuff is great. Got 50 days out of it without a wash last season. Not even a bit itchy. Cheap AF end of season prices too. Just got a new 200 weight top for about 20 English pesos.
snow report
hang11 wrote:
The latest stretchy mons cascade stuff is great. Got 50 days out of it without a wash last season. Not even a bit itchy. Cheap AF end of season prices too. Just got a new 200 weight top for about 20 English pesos.

Bargain! The best we can do around here is about 50% off RRP, though head office do chuck out some good deals from time to time. Result: the entire local population is a walking mons advert Laughing
snow conditions
Go for a polartec powerstretch base layer.... Warmest baselayer I've ever had and great at wicking sweat!
latest report
for those that are finding wool product itchy... bin your grand M&S lambswool cardigan and look at some of the the recent good quality merino wool product wink wink

fine grade merino wool has a staple of less than 23, (down as low as 16) that's pretty fine and soft, it is a long staple wool (think long hair so less ends, its the ends that cause the itchiness) so unless you are physically allergic to wool which very few people are it shouldn't really cause an itch if you get decent quality stuff

for me merino base layer, merino mid layer, down layer and a shell jacket all depending on the temperature only once (yes and it was canada ) did i want an extra layer in there, but that was years ago and probably as the down layer was cheap and old

100% agree on the warmer packs for emergencies a face mask and possibly mitts with a silk liner instead of gloves

everyone is different in terms of heat
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy