Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February skiing - half term dodging

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

If I was to manage to sneak off for a few days to a week skiing in Feb, when and where should I head to avoid the marauding half termers from various areas?

I see a few comments saying for example "Avoid xxxx because the Parisiennes will all be there from yy to zz" but it would be useful to see which weeks are quietest and where to head that they tend to avoid.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Italy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Somewhere like Ischgl can be a good bet. Very much and adult rather than family resort so less impacted by school holidays than some others.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is a 'School Holidays' chart on the forum to help

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Italy. Nowhere in France.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Scandinavia?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go to Flims, LAAX. Some pensions/B&B may be available.
I suspect you might have to think ‘outside the box’ to get accom mid week and not Saturday to Saturday.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I suspect you might have to think ‘outside the box’ to get accom mid week and not Saturday to Saturday.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Germany
Italy
Turkey
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ski Tyke, I avoid February for that very reason but week 28.01.23 - 04.02.23 should be OK, after that I'll be swerving it until early March.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dolomites, particularly away from the Sella Ronda route. Here's the area between Pozza and Alba February half term 2008:

1934279-189392851130-3771296-n
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I misread the title as "Half term dogging" Shocked
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you can do the week 28th Jan - 4th of Feb, you can pretty much go anywhere, even France.

Else 4th - 11th should good most places (except France). Could be a great week in Austria that.

check details here:
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

If you can do the week 28th Jan - 4th of Feb, you can pretty much go anywhere, even France

That's right. That would be a good week. But a lot of French places are still tricky for anything other than Sat/Sat bookings. Staying in a "valley" hotel and commuting to lifts could be a good option.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you all - some great advice there.

The goalposts may have moved already but some good info should we proceed in Feb.

Think half term dogging is for another forum!! Laughing
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Ski Tyke, I avoid February for that very reason but week 28.01.23 - 04.02.23 should be OK, after that I'll be swerving it until early March.

That is, for me, the best week of the season. The harsh January weather is hopefully past. The lads groups assume it’s Feb so it must be half term, so avoid it. Neither France nor the U.K. are on half term. Bliss.

I’ve been to Les Gets for that week several times and it is bliss. Haven’t joined a single queue for the entire week. Normally, if I judge my speed correctly, I can bleep my pass, go through the turnstile and arrive at the chairlift gate all in one move. If I’m REALLY lucky, the gate will open just as I approach it. On several occasions I’ve actually got quite worried/nervous as I have been the only person on the slope. If I’d had an accident I’d be screwed.

Contrast that with half term at Les Gets and its chalk and cheese. Hour long queue, and slopes so rammed you can’t ski properly, you’re just trying to avoid collision constantly.
latest report
@247snowman wrote:

Outside of Swiss snow sports week presumably?

The middle two weeks are usually pretty busy in Swiss resorts (especially Zurich holidays) but still way quieter than France.
snow report
Switzerland worked for us in half term week for several years (until daughter finished school). The slopes aren't as crowded as France, and the accommodation prices don't shoot up for that week so they are competitively priced. You need to be careful when choosing where to eat out though, however supermarket prices for self-catering aren't a problem.
ski holidays
Ski Tyke wrote:

Think half term dogging is for another forum!! Laughing

Are you confessing your membership there too?? wink

To answer the initial question...

Yes, Italy is a great place to avoid half-term crowds.

Avoid the Sella Ronda resorts though, that can get very busy, a lot of Danish families on HT in Canazei. Pila always had loads of Brit school trips too.

Most of the smaller resorts are blissfully quiet all week and only get lively with busloads from the cities on the plain at the weekends, but at least you get to join the party!! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy