Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

France risks power outages this winter

Poster: A snowHead
The French government is testing blackout procedures this Friday with the government thinking it likely that services will be cut this winter. 19 nuclear power stations are still out of action although President Macron has promised to make up any generating shortfalls, estimated at around 5 to 10 Gigawatts by "buying it in from abroad".

The plan is to give people 3 days to 12 hours notice of blackouts then shut down the grid in one region for a period of 2 hours. Hospitals and any houses on the same circuit will not be affected but the blackouts will affect Trains and ski lifts - although it is hoped by doing them in a controlled manner no one will get stuck on transport.

An app to inform you of when and where the blackouts will take place has been downloaded by 800,000 people as of today.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 8-12-22 11:03; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@davidof, I was just about to ask for your views on that and hey presto! The nuclear generation in France has stepped up over the last week off to but is still about 8 gigs down on last year. At peak demand today France was importing about 15% of its electricity. Good job that pair of windbags Beaune and Drian didn't cut the interconnectors to the UK as they threatened over whatever spat was happening at the time (fishing??). wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@chocksaway, yes Clement Beaune is good at creating diplomatic incidents with other countries, I guess he does what his master tells him to play to the gammon crowd (les beaufs, les chasseurs etc).

They'll be needing those cables.

Commentators have said it is the Lebanonization of France (rolling blackouts) but it is probably the future.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any power cuts should be restricted to within the hours of 08:00 and 13:00 and 18:00 and 20:00

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Rural-areas-in-France-will-be-hardest-hit-by-power-cuts-says-mayor
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim wrote:
Any power cuts should be restricted to within the hours of 08:00 and 13:00 and 18:00 and 20:00

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Rural-areas-in-France-will-be-hardest-hit-by-power-cuts-says-mayor

That bit would rather balls up the skiing part of a skiing holiday Confused
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Timmycb5 wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

That bit would rather balls up the skiing part of a skiing holiday Confused

yes, a risk of your tartiflette being served cold
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@davidof, Shocked
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Good job I'm not going to France this season Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
halfhand wrote:

Energy transition minister Agnès Pannier-Runacher has appealed to French people not to get washed this winter and turn their thermostats down to 18C to avoid power outages. The government has begged people to turn of WiFi routers and not leave any device on standbye. All this under the slogan ""Je baise, j'éteins, je décale"

Web page to see if you risk an imminent scheduled power outage

https://coupures-temporaires.enedis.fr/verification_coupure_adresse.html
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand wrote:
Just as likely to be similar issues elsewhere in Europe this winter Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
halfhand wrote:

Energy transition minister Agnès Pannier-Runacher has appealed to French people not to get washed this winter and turn their thermostats down to 18C to avoid power outages. The government has begged people to turn of WiFi routers and not leave any device on standbye. All this under the slogan ""Je baise, j'éteins, je décale"

Web page to see if you risk an imminent scheduled power outage

https://coupures-temporaires.enedis.fr/verification_coupure_adresse.html

There's a joke in there, somewhere!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
super...i booked for first time in France and now come this... Skullie Puzzled
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

"Je baise, j'éteins, je décale"

Quote:

No doubt. Though my sketchy French is always wary of using "baiser" as a verb.......
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:

Energy transition minister Agnès Pannier-Runacher has appealed to French people not to get washed this winter....

So following a French tradition made famous by Napolean? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@davidof, Wifi routers!? A quick google suggests that they use between 5 and 20 watts so absolutely minimal in the first place and if your house has electric heating, which I believe many French properties do, then the heater would simply have to increase its consumption by the exact amount that has been saved, but with the loss of internet access. Appliances on standby is also a total non-issue now after EU regulations greatly cut the amount that devices can draw while on standby. If this is how the French plan to cut energy usage then they are doomed, pissing in the wind
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

"Je baise, j'éteins, je décale"

Quote:

No doubt. Though my sketchy French is always wary of using "baiser" as a verb.......

are it seems an 's' got dropped during copy and paste ! Happy je baisse (I lower), not je baise
latest report
@rambotion, crazy isn't it?
snow report
Quote:

it seems an 's' got dropped during copy and paste ! je baisse (I lower), not je baise

Ah well, that's why I'm wary..... Laughing Laughing Laughing I once had to stop and start again with a sentence explaining to a friendly Frenchman up his apple tree picking mistletoe about the British custom of showing affection under a bunch of the stuff. As I approached the main point my grasp of French disappeared entirely and I forgot the verb "s'embrasser".

But I guess there's more than one way of keeping warm in a power cut....
latest report
pam w wrote:

But I guess there's more than one way of keeping warm in a power cut....

Very Happy

maybe the 's' wasn't there to begin with then ?
snow report
Just seen "The Boss" on French senate TV warning of the end of the world (or nearly) if the power goes out.
snow report
Its ok M. Macron says Don't Panic...
https://www.france24.com/en/france/20221203-macron-says-no-panic-about-possible-french-power-cuts
snow report
@rambotion, yep. rather suggests a disturbing lack of numeracy, at least in terms of estimations Shocked
snow report
rambotion wrote:
@davidof, Wifi routers!? A quick google suggests that they use between 5 and 20 watts so absolutely minimal

They actually said to turn Wifi routers off when you're on holiday, which is actually quite a good idea. By my maths every household would save 14kWh per year, if they had 20w router and holidayed 4 weeks a year. That's not nothing.
ski holidays
@HilbertSpace, no... €2 is not nothing but it wouldn't be keeping me awake (Engie kWh ~= €0.16)
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@HilbertSpace, no... €2 is not nothing but it wouldn't be keeping me awake (Engie kWh ~= €0.16)

But if every household in France did that then the grid would save about 500 gigawatts annually.
snow conditions
The smallest ski lift uses ~7.5kW

If only 125 people in the resort had switched off their (20W) WiFi router, then that lift can run 8 hours a day for nothing.
snow conditions
@midgetbiker, sure, I get that. But vs. so many other things, it wouldn't be my immediate focus. (p.s. it's only around 400gW if the estimate of internet'ed households I found is broadly correct (28mn)).

@HilbertSpace, ignore that, I see what you did there. What sort of size lift is that?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

@HilbertSpace, ignore that, I see what you did there. What sort of size lift is that?

I honestly don't know what lift uses only 7.5kW. Probably a rope tow Very Happy

But I'm now resolved to switch off my WiFi when I go skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
HilbertSpace wrote:
I honestly don't know what lift uses only 7.5kW.

Small magic carpet?
latest report
@rambotion, I’ve cut my electricity consumption by about 20/25% by religiously turning off all appliances (including wifi) at the wall when they’re not in use. It can make a massive difference.
snow conditions
France is reliant on Rusky power. Best go skiing in Azerbayjan which has no skiing infrastructure reliant on soviet electricity. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, which is great. But I guess you’re not onvelectric heating?
snow conditions
@Timmycb5, obviously I don't know what appliances you have in your house, they might be very old or you might have a lot, but for most people the difference will barely be detectable. Since 2013 the max that any device can legally draw while on standby is 0.5W. Say you had 10 devices drawing 0.5W constantly, that would be 44 kWh over the year. The average UK mid terrace house or flat gets through 2800kwh per year, turning those 10 devices would save them 1.5% of their annual usage.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/energy-climate-change-environment/standards-tools-and-labels/products-labelling-rules-and-requirements/energy-label-and-ecodesign/energy-efficient-products/mode-standby-and-networked-standby_en

https://www.ovoenergy.com/guides/energy-guides/how-much-electricity-does-a-home-use
ski holidays
@under a new name, no, combo of gas fired central and lighting up the wood burners.

@rambotion, Off the top to my head. I regularly turn off:

Microwave
Oven
Washing machine/tumble
Xbox and TV (back room)
PS4, Game cube, sound bar, TV (front room)
All laptop (6) and iPhone (5) chargers
Office docking station
Wifi
Also lights in a room that doesn’t have a human in it.

The only thing I leave on is the hottub Laughing
ski holidays
@Timmycb5, the hottub probs means your other efforts are wasted?
ski holidays
I have one of those electric plug meter things. I measured a whole bunch of appliances around the house and discovered that modern appliances like phone and laptop chargers, microwaves and the TV on standby use 0.0W -- unmeasurable.

There is no point switching these off. However older appliances, before the EU regulations, should be switched off or binned. E.g. some old TVs would use 12W on standby, but their owners think that by not replacing they are being frugal...
latest report
@HilbertSpace, the newish bubble from Flégère uses 945 kW ... (I presume per hour?) https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tcd10-flegere-les-praz-doppelmayr-7148.html
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@HilbertSpace, the newish bubble from Flégère uses 945 kW ... (I presume per hour?) https://www.remontees-mecaniques.net/bdd/reportage-tcd10-flegere-les-praz-doppelmayr-7148.html

Well they 'only' need 15,750 people to switch off their (20W) WiFi... Toofy Grin

Yeah I know it's seems like peeing in the wind, but if every skier switched off unnecessary electric appliances (that consume meaningful power) at home before they headed off to the slopes, then overall there would be less chance of blackouts and ski lifts not running this season.
snow conditions
@under a new name, 945kW is power. No time element involved, but in a hour it would use 945kWh which is energy. Or summat like that, it's late Very Happy
ski holidays
The watt is energy usage by time, or power:

1 Watt = 1 Joule / second

Where a Joule is a measure of energy, though for some reason we use kWh instead, which is just 3,600,000 Joules.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy