Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Åre

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just if anyone saw it, there was a ridiculous article in The Telegraph suggesting skiing in Sweden, Åre specifically, as an alternative to skiing in the US if your bored of the Alps. It's a bit of a silly premise to be honest. BUT, Åre is a great place to ski, especially for families and older (post 50) skiers. Åre is no more expensive than the Alps, has alot of very well priced and fatastically equipped accommodation (think drying cupboards and private saunas as standard), all priced per week, with no silly under occupancy charges. Slight pain to get to because you need to change at Stockholm Arlanda, but if you consider as we do, that the travelling is just part of the holiday and time to enjoy together, it isn't an issue, and the transfer from Östersund is short. Flight dates don't easily match accommodation change days, but, as the ski pass is pay for 6 days, get 8 days, we always work around that and bookend our holiday with a couple of nights at The Granen or Åre Torg. We end up (we are a couple) with 8 days skiing on a 9 day holiday for the same as a catered chalet week in Val d'isere ( with Skiworld or equal, not any posh knob stuff). Happy to answer questions about Åre if I can, been there many times and it's ace.
There are a couple of other SH regulars knowledgeable on Åre too.
Going to Åre and expecting it might compare to any US skiing is ridiculous. Going to Åre just to go somewhere different is not.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read that article in The Telegraph too. Åre is regarded as the best ski resort in Sweden and it's the only one I've been to in Sweden. I agree that it is an amazing ski resort with a cosmopolitan feel to it and accommodation of a high standard. But it was very cold when I was there, about -20 degrees! And it got dark early in the afternoons. There used to be a direct flight to Östersund from Gatwick I believe, but it doesn't exist anymore, which makes it a bit difficult to get there now from the UK.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Motherofthree, if you go in january it is cold, but it isn't so northern that it actually gets dark daft early. Of the times we have been, the coldest day was -25°C, but such days are rare, even there. -10°C can be common in jan and feb. Though surely skiers are equipped for cold weather? I may be missing something, but even if I go to the Alps in late march, I pack enough layers to cope with -10, or even less. Just seems a bit odd complaining a ski venue is cold. Sorry.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Just seems a bit odd complaining a ski venue is cold. Sorry.

Not odd at all.

You may pack every piece of warm clothing just in case. But the chance of using it is much smaller in some resorts than others.

When it’s cold, it’s just...cold.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thecramps, thanks for highlighting this! We'll be in Are for a month in January (bucket list cabin with private sauna stuff, not bothered at all of it's cold and dark!) Any food, ski hire and activity recommendations would be very welcome - we're staying Bjornen side but hope to get around.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Saw this

Absolute nonsense

But always difficult to get unbiased reporting from the broad sheets when most of the articles are sponsored

There are hundreds of alternatives to the expensive European and US resorts in Europe that would blow Are away
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ElzP, Broken is good for a pint and a "chips with" meal, they do some awesome burgers. We like Wérsens, both the upstairs bistro and the restaurant downstairs. The upmarket Tapas restaurant Boqueria is nice for a treat. The Åre Bageri is also excellent, but not cheap and needs booking well in advance we have found. Unless you know it's a quiet week, I'd book your taxis on Friday-Sunday night if you plan to use any well in advance, it can be very difficult to get them to answer the phone if you need one around the time a train is due. We usually use Topptaxi, 0046 647 220 20, but there is Björn Olsson's too.
Skistar are really the goto company for your skihire, they have a few stores all over the resort, and they supply the lift passes too.
Other than skiing, we haven't done too much, but we did do a day dog sledding that was great fun, and an afternoon on snow mobiles. Both very cold, but absolutely worth it. We found both of those online. The dog sledding was based just outside Åre a short taxi ride away, and the snow mobile centre was down by Holiday club building by the lake. They lead out a few together and you go out following their guide across the lake. Make sure you have your current driving licences with you for anyone driving them. No licence, no hire.
If you want alcohol like wine, spirits etc, you need to go to Systembolaget, the state sponsored off licence. From memory though, it's opening hours aren't particularly ideal and it's shut sundays. You can buy alcohol in the supermarkets, but nothing stronger than 3.5%. The systembolaget is down by the Co-op store, close to Åre Bageri.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 2-11-22 11:07; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And keep your eyes peeled for reindeer. They are always nice to see. And if there is a clear night, it's worth a check now and then for northern lights, but use one of the prediction websites or apps rather than just hanging about outside on the off chance.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-11-22 11:11; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Motherofthree, sorry, reading back, my reply to you looks a bit smartassed. Didn’t mean it to be.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thecramps, fantastic, thanks so much. Great tips, it's my husbands birthday while we're there so perhaps he can have a dog sled ride in celebration! snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thecramps, No problem. I actually grew up in Sweden and lived there for over 20 years, but only skied there once and that was in Åre in January. Having skied in France and Switzerland more recently, I can't help but notice the difference when it comes to daylight and temperature. Sorry!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy