Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maishofen/Viehhofen as a base for skiing in Zell am See and Saalbach

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we have now cancelled our planned self-drive, self-catering holiday to Courchevel 1650 in Feb half term 2023 and swapped it for a fly-drive all inclusive holiday to Maishofen, Austria during the same period. Found a very affordable all inclusive hotel deal with Sunweb and booked flights to Salzburg separately with BA. The only catch is that the all inclusive hotel (Bad Neunbrunnen) is based in a town called Maishofen, which is between Zell am See and Saalbach. It says on Sunweb's website that the hotel is located 1 km from the nearest ski bus stop and 10 minutes drive from both Zell am See and Saalbach. It is a 7 minute drive away from a town called Viehhofen, from where there is a gondola (zellamseeXpress) to Schmitten in Zell am See. The hotel Bad Neunbrunnen is new to Sunweb this year and there are very few reviews about it online. Can anyone tell me how convenient/inconvenient the location of Maishofen is? We are planning to hire a car at Salzburg airport and are happy to drive to the slopes every day. Where is the most convenient parking to ski in Zell am See and Saalbach when staying in Maishofen? Is it to park the car in Viehhofen and take the gondola to Schmitten or ski bus to Saalbach? Or is it better to drive to the nearest ski bus stop in Maishofen and take the ski bus from there to the ski resorts? We are a family of 5 who prefer green and blue ski runs. I am grateful for any advice regarding staying in this location.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-11-22 22:55; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maishofen is a great base for accessing several ski areas. If you’re happy to drive, I’d suggest parking at Viehhofen for skiing Zell. For the Saalbach/Hinterglemm area the nearest gondola is at Vorderglemm. Further up the Glemm valley you could park at Saalbach, Hinterglemm or Lengau. Other resorts within an hour’s drive include Maria Alm, Kitzbuhel, Kaprun, Dorfgastein and Alpendorf. All are covered on the Salzburg SuperSki lift pass.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austrian Seagull wrote:
Maishofen is a great base for accessing several ski areas. If you’re happy to drive, I’d suggest parking at Viehhofen for skiing Zell. For the Saalbach/Hinterglemm area the nearest gondola is at Vorderglemm. Further up the Glemm valley you could park at Saalbach, Hinterglemm or Lengau. Other resorts within an hour’s drive include Maria Alm, Kitzbuhel, Kaprun, Dorfgastein and Alpendorf. All are covered on the Salzburg SuperSki lift pass.

Thanks for your reply, very useful to know that the nearest gondola to access the Saalbach ski area is in Vorderglemm. It`s a 14 minute drive there from our hotel, according to Google maps. I can see there is a blue ski run (no 166) that goes from the top of the gondola Schönleitenbahn 1 to Saalbach. This looks like a lovely run - just watched a video of it on youtube. Is it easy to find a parking space in Vorderglemm and is the parking area near the gondola? It`s interesting to know that there are so many ski resorts included in the ski pass, I had no idea!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are about five free car parks at Vorderglemm. By far the largest is immediately adjacent to the lift station. The others are all a 2-3 minute walk. They are all likely to fill up during Feb half-term, so it’s advisable to get there just head of the main rush for the ski schools.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Austrian Seagull wrote:
There are about five free car parks at Vorderglemm. By far the largest is immediately adjacent to the lift station. The others are all a 2-3 minute walk. They are all likely to fill up during Feb half-term, so it’s advisable to get there just head of the main rush for the ski schools.

Sounds good, thanks for the info.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bad Neunbrunnen is on the outskirts of Maishofen - you'll need a car to get anywhere, the hotel being in a somewhat isolated location.

If you are only going for a week, then there is more than enough skiing on the local Saalbach-Hinterglemm/Zell am See ski card that presumably comes as part of the deal with Sunweb. You do not need to upgrade to a Salzburg Superski Card.

To access the ski runs you can just drive up the Glemm Valley from Maishofen towards Saalbach. The first village that you come to is Viehhofen, from where there is a lift up to the Zell am See ski area, There is a free car park at the gondola, but it fills up really quickly. To get back down to Viehhofen again, you need to download on the gondola from the mid-station (there is a sketchy run down to the valley but it is never good). If you are mainly only keen on easy green and blue runs (there are no green runs in Austria) then you should download from the top station of the Zell am See lift as the run to the mid-station is a narrow red run. In fact, I'd save Zell until mid-week as you need a few easier days which you'll get in Saalbach.

Viehhofen is also where the shuttle bus to Vorderglemm/Schonleiten terminates - the bus stop is in front of the lift station and the bus runs every 10 minutes in high season. It only takes 10 minutes to get to Schonleiten. From Schonleiten (as others have posted above - you can drive there too and use the free car parks) you can ride up and enter the Ski Circus. Turn left at the top and follow 166 to Saalbach. Turn right and the runs take you to Leogang. From Saalbach you can do the entire valley anti-clockwise as far as Hinterglemm and on to Hochalm, from where you cross the valley on the Zwolfer Nord lift and continue back to Hinterglemm or on towards Schattberg. You can also take the long run 2a back down to Vorderglemm and the Schonleiten car park - but don't do this run after 3pm on tired legs! From any point in the valley you can take the free ski bus between the villages and back to Schonleiten (and change there for the other shuttle to Viehhofen). If there is sufficient snow, the best run in the entire Ski Circus (#168) goes from the top of Schonleiten, past the Hecherhutte and down to Viehhofen. A sign at the top will state if the run is open or closed. It is a great run for blue-run skiers, with just the final 50m into Viehhofen being a bit steeper, but that is worth it for the 7km of pleasure that you get on the way down.

Fieberbrunn is also on the lift ticket - accessed from the top of the Hasenauer lift or the Reiter Ost lift above Hinterglemm. The skiing there is quite challenging, and the run under the TirolS Lift is not advisable for green/blue-run skiers. Take the gondola from the top and back up the other side (yes, this one goes down and then up again) if you're tempted to go to Fieberbrunn.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@quinton, Thank you for your reply with lots of useful information.

Yes, I have realised by looking at a map that Hotel Neunbrunnen is in a bit of an isolated location in relation to Maishofen, but on paper it still seems to be a "central" location between Saalbach and Zell am See if you have a car, which we will have.

The ski run number 2 in Saalbach down towards Vorderglemm looks good. Is it easy to get to the Schattberg X-press gondola to get to the top of ski run 2, after having come down the 166 towards the centre of Saalbach, or do you have to cross the town centre, take off the skis and walk for a bit to get to that gondola?

Do you reckon it is more convenient to park in Vierhofen and take the ski bus the last 10 minutes to Vorderglemm/Schönleitenbahn, or park at Vorderglemm, if coming from Neunbrunnen/Maishofen?

Yes, I think the Zell am See and Saalbach Hinterglemm ski areas will be more than enough for us during the six days that we will have there!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you come down 166 into Saalbach, you need to walk through the town - about 5 minutes downhill - to the Schattberg Xpress lift.
The alternative is to ski to the elevator on the right of the piste (behind the big ski kicker that is there for the Freestyle Show), cross the pedestrian street and take the Bernkogel lift, before coming back down the Bernkogel and keeping right, going under the tunnel just before the lift station and ending up in the Schattberg Xpress car park. A bit of a roundabout way to get there (!) but it gives you an excuse to stop at the Westernstadl (on the right, about 200m down the Bernkogel piste) for a great burger and to say hello to the ponies inside the restaurant, which is always a hit with the kids.

From Maishofen I'd continue on to the Schonleiten/Vorderglemm car parks, which are larger than the car park at Viehhofen. Whichever you choose, the car parks fill up really quickly in high season, so be there before 9.30. If everything is full, the best bet is to drive all the way through Saalbach and Hinterglemm to the lifts and car parks at Hochalm. These rarely fill up, and the nice easy pistes at the end of the ski area - pistes #50 and #51, above the Spieleck lift, are quiet even in high season. 50a under the Hochalm Lift and back down to the car park (and bus stop) can get a bit cut up in the afternoon, so if legs are getting tired just have a coffee at one of the restaurants and then download on the Hochalm gondola.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It is a bit of a stretch to claim to be actually in Maishofen...! However, with a car, it should work fine. We have been to Hinterglemm a few times at half term and haven't found parking at the Schonleitenbahn to be a problem. I would park there rather than at Viehofen if you plan on skiing in the Saalbach area. Viehofen would be an ideal start for Zell though as parking anywhere near a lift in Zell at half term is a nightmare!
Maria Alm is a nice day trip out, but if you only have the Ski Alpin pass, it would be quite expensive.
The lift system in the Saalbach area is excellent and you shouldn't experience queues of any more than a minute or two.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 1-11-22 23:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I see, thanks for the info. 5 mins walking in ski boots doesn't sound too bad.

It's great to know about the Hochalm car parks if there is no space anywhere else, thanks for the tip. Good to know in advance that we need to get there early to get a space. What are the car parks in Saalbach (near the Bernkogelbahn and Kohlmaisbahn) and Hinterglemm (near any of the lifts) like?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Klamm Franzer, Thanks for your reply. I think the location of the hotel is probably why this holiday is so affordable! Why was parking at the Schönleitenbahn a problem? What is parking in the central areas near the gondolas in Saalbach and Hinterglemm like? Yes, I also get the impression that the ski lifts in Saalbach are very modern. Sounds great that the lift queues are so short, even in half term.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry, typo! Corrected to not a problem parking at the Schonleitenbahn....

The Kolhmaisbahn car park is pretty good and it's free on your lift ticket. You're meant to validate your parking ticket at the lift pass office at the gondola station but I've found that waving your lift pass at the machine on the way out also works. As above, it definitely pays to be at your chosen car park by 9am latest.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The car parks in the village centres (Saalbach and Hinterglemm) are always very busy and fill up from as soon as the lifts open at 8am. It's better to park at Schonleiten or go through to Hochalm. The secret is to get up and get out! The road up the valley will be very busy - I don't think it only take 7 minutes from the hotel to Viehhofen and on to Schonleiten - in high season on a busy, likely snowy road (but at least the road is flat) it will take more like 15-20 minutes to Viehhofen and maybe another 10 to Schonleiten.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The central car parks in Saalbach and Hinterglemm are free with a lift ticket, but you need to get the car park ticket validated at the ski lift ticket office - at least in theory! The underground car park in Hinterglemm has very few spaces. Zwolferkogel car park is fairly large, but fills up very early. The problem with the Kohlmais car park is that if you get there and it's full, you've lost the best part of 15 minutes getting there, turning round and then getting back to the main road.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Klamm Franzer, I see, that makes sense. Sounds early to have to be at the car parks by 9am. It takes time to get everyone ready, have breakfast and bring a packed lunch (which we will get from the hotel).... I'm not surprised to hear that the parking by Kohlmaisbahn fills upp early, as I can see on the piste map that that is possibly the most centrally located car park in Saalbach.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 2-11-22 0:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@quinton, I see. Thanks for your very valuable "inside information"! The car parks by Schönleiten or Hochalm sound indeed like the best options if you don't want to risk arriving to a full car park. It's also useful to know that the journey from Neunbrunnen/Maishofen is more likely to take 30 minutes rather than 15 minutes in high season.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-11-22 0:01; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Just to clarify, the much heralded route 168 starts at the top of the Polten 8-seater, and not from the top of the Schönleitenbahn.
snow report
@Austrian Seagull, Ok, thanks for the info. It looks like there is a blue run, 162, from the top of Schönleitenbahn to the bottom of the Polten lift, which takes you to the start of the 168 run.
snow conditions
Motherofthree wrote:
@Austrian Seagull, Ok, thanks for the info. It looks like there is a blue run, 162, from the top of Schönleitenbahn to the bottom of the Polten lift, which takes you to the start of the 168 run.

Indeed, there are several runs from the top of the Schönleitenbahn down to the bottom of the Polten chairlift.
latest report
@Motherofthree,
As has been said the Schoneitenbahn has a large car park and gives you options, you could take the lift up and ski over to Leogan, good blues have lunch a the Hendlfischerei for their legendary roast chicken , get there early they run out and book.

You can also take the ski bus up the valley and work your way back, depending on how much mileage you do in a day.

Schattberg Press has an underground and above ground car park but gets busy, you can walk up to the Bernkogel then along to Hinterglemm

Kholmains has an underground car park it's a good location for ending your day lots of apre bars near it, you can also access a lot of blue skiing and several good mountain restaurants.

Reiterkogelbahn in Hinterglem has parking , it's shared with a number of hotels and gets busy,

12er KOGEL in Hinterglemm has street parking, does get busy

Hochalmbahn at the end of the valley has street parking, gives you access to some nice blues.

Piste 168 isn't always open, it has no snow making , check on the day or the day before if its open, we get terribly exited when it's open

We haven't skied over to Zell yet, it's on teh to do list since the lift opened up, but there is so much to ski in the Ski Circus.

Have a look at the Saalbach thread at and ask @tatmanstours for his guide , send him a PM https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161018&start=80
snow report
@Motherofthree, just thinking about your car rental, rates have gone up significantly, have a look at adding it to your BA flights through BA they do Avis and Budget and the rates can be good and if your into your Avios you get those the rental as well

We have used Avis and Mega drive , this is a link to who is actually at the airport https://tinyurl.com/dkmpkz4w, to cover excess we have a policy with iCar insurance, https://www.icarhireinsurance.com
latest report
@Motherofthree, totally forgot about parking at the Westgipfelbahn, the red that runs under it can be challenging in places, however you can take the
12er Express across then ski down to the 12er Kogel, at the top of which are some great blues.

The parking at the Westgipfelbahn is an alternative if you can’t park at the 12er Kogel.
latest report
@radar, Thank you so much for your advice and information about where to park in Saalbach. I have also noticed that BA have good value fly drive packages, actually they work out better value than booking flights and car hire separately and you also get free checked in luggage. Unfortunately BA's booking system wasn't working properly at the time of our booking, so the lady I spoke to (their website was down too, so I had to book the flight over the phone!) wasn't able to book a fly drive package for us. Perhaps I can phone them up and ask if it would be possible to add on a car now. We are getting a bit worried though about the remote location of Hotel Neunbrunnen on the outskirts of Maishofen and about some bad reviews (relating to the food and the room standard) that I have read online. We are therefore considering swapping this hotel for a better one in the same area (which Sunweb allows free of charge). I am surprised that this hotel doesn't have a shuttle bus to the slopes, bearing in mind that it is located 1 km from the nearest ski bus stop. I am currently trying to find out what time breakfast is served in the mornings in the hotel. If it starts at 8am or later, I am worried about not getting to the car parks in time to find a space... Must say that taking the ski bus to the slopes quite appeals to me, as there wouldn't be the same rush to get ready in the mornings, as there would be if driving to the slopes.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 2-11-22 21:50; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, your welcome parking does get busy. If you go onto the BA site and go to manage my booking you can add extras, seat, hotel, car hire options are there.

With children it might be an option to move hotel Very Happy
latest report
@radar, Thanks for the tip, I will check the BA website out.
snow conditions
@Motherofthree, you are going to have a fantastic time, don't worry! I have been to Saalbach every Feb half-term for maybe 12 years now, and always had a fab time. The whole ski-area is super family friendly, with something for all the family (including really great toilet facilities all over the mountain Very Happy ). The kids will have a great time.

There are endless cute places to drink and eat all over the mountains, and your hotel looks fine to me — reviews are quite good in my book. And as others have said, there are great parking facilities. That said, the ski-bus services is regular and fast.

My tips? Stick to Saalbach-Hinterglemn; I gave Zell am See a try last season, but the whole lift system is not as modern as Saalbach-Hinterglemn, and the area was not as beautiful. But others here will disagree I'm sure! You can try the night-skiing slopes, but they are REALLY cold; so best to let the kids try it out, whilst you sit in a warm bar nearby.

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/floodlit-slopes_a_1690

If you can, do please take a horse-drawn sleigh ride at the end of the valley one evening. They will take you to the Lindlingalm for dinner, and then back down the valley to your car. Totally magic.

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/infrastructure/horse-drawn-sleigh-rides_a_1624
http://www.lindlingalm.at/saalbach-hinterglemm/de/winter/pferdeschlitten.php

You can also take a snowcat shuttle up to the Spielberghaus one evening for dinner, and then the kids can toboggan back to the car park. Another great fun activity.

https://www-lindlingalm-at.translate.goog/saalbach-hinterglemm/de/winter/pferdeschlitten.php?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

For a really authentic Austrian evening of music, drink and dance; a visit to the Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach is a must.

https://www-hinterhag--alm-at.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

And lastly — there are endless activities for families and kids:

https://www.saalbach.com/en/winter/family

Have fun! Very Happy
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, My only comment about the hotel is that it is on a lovely campsite just outside of the tiny hamlet of Neunbrunnen. In summer I regularly cycle through the campsite and stop there for a beer or ice cream. I don’t recall Neunbrunnen having any shops, bars or restaurants. As you are all inclusive, this probably won’t be a problem for you.

I guess that, given the isolated nature of the hotel, most guests will have their own transport, so there is little need for a shuttle.

The beauty, for me, of getting to the lifts early in order to get a parking space is that you can enjoy the slopes first thing when they are at their best and quietest. With a family in tow, you perhaps won’t be burning the candle at both ends and will be getting to bed reasonably early. Austrians tend to get up early, so I’d expect breakfast to be served from an early hour.
snow conditions
@Poogle, Thanks for all your family friendly tips on things to do in Saalbach. They all look fun, especially the horse-drawn sleigh ride! Most of the reviews for Neunbrunnen hotel on Tripadvisor are several years old unfortunately, but there are some newer ones elsewhere online (and positive ones, you are right). Thanks for your reassuring words regarding the hotel, the main reason why we booked it is because it is such good value (seemingly). I'm thinking that if we can't get ready on time in the mornings, that we could perhaps park the car somewhere in Maishofen near to where the ski bus stops and then take the bus.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Austrian Seagull, Thank you for your inside information. Yes, that's probably the case that most people who are staying at this hotel have their own transport, due to its remote location. Good to know that Austrians tend to get up early. I did notice that the ski lifts open earlier in Saalbach than in the 3V in France!
latest report
@Motherofthree, this is the Maishofen ski bus scheduled, bus 680 is the regular bus from Zell and will take you to Hinterglem. https://www.maishofen.com/en/saalbach-zell-am-see/winter/skiing-snowboarding/ski-bus.html

You can park near the bus stop in Maishofen, Parkplatz
https://maps.app.goo.gl/kNw6Xw4Ha38K6q6h9?g_st=ic , we rent bikes in the summer from Big Time nearby.

Lots of good stuff from@Poogle, who made me realise where the hotel is, we too have cycled past it and it is out on its own.
ski holidays
@radar, Thanks a lot for this very useful information. I can see that the ski bus doesn't run very often to and from Maishofen. Is there another ski bus to get around Saalbach Hinterglemm, in addition to this one? It's also good to know where there is public parking in Maishofen. Is there a ski bus stop near Parkplatz? We have booked ski hire with Big Time through alpinresorts.com.
snow report
@Motherofthree, there is a more frequent ski bus within Saalbach , the number 4 bus takes you to the Schoneitenbahn were you can connect into the regular ski bus, the 680 also goes there.

This is a link to the page with the ski bus information on the ski bus, https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/skibus-nightliner

There is also a ski bus between Viehhofen and the Schönleitenbahn, though the bus from Maishofen goes through Viehhofen , though if 168 is open it could be handy https://www.viehhofen.at/en/winter/skibus

My understanding is that Maishofen have a special arrangement with the bus company that enables you to use the 680 as the ski bus.

The parking in Maishofen is pretty much opposite the bus stop. The X is Big Time, I’ve circled the parking and the bus stop.

If you find yourself at the Schönleitenbahn at lunch, there is a restaurant as part of the lift station which is good or across the road, where there is a second carpark, the Tiroler Baum has a proper pizza oven and good pizzas and is also one of the best restaurants .
ski holidays
@radar, Wow, thanks for this info. I am very impressed with all the help I have got from you and others in this thread! We actually changed the accommodation from Hotel Neunbrunnen to Hotel Victoria in Maishofen today (as we don't want to risk staying in a hotel with poor rooms and food and we don't want to set off at 8am every morning in a car, to be sure to get a parking space). It also means that we won't have to rent a car at Salzburg airport, which will save about £500, that we can put towards to higher cost for the new hotel. We are planning to take the Regionalbus 260 from the airport which stops in Maishofen. Hopefully it won't stop too far from Hotel Victoria. Then we will have to walk to Big Time to pick up the ski equipment and take the ski bus (that stops in front of Hotel Victoria) to Saalbach and Zell am See during the week. Do you know if there is a local bus that runs in the evenings between Maishofen and Zell and Saalbach? And is there a bus to Tauern Spa in Kaprun from Maishofen? Another thing I would like to know if there are picnic places on the mountain in Saalbach and Zell am See? I mean warm places indoors where you can eat your own food.
snow report
@Motherofthree, you will have seen from my signature that we have an apartment in Saalbach which helps with the local knowledge Very Happy

For the bus download the Salzburg Verkehr app, you can buy your tickets to Maishofen through it and plan your journeys,

The Victoria is on the main road (not in town) , have never been, there are two bus stops near the hotel Maishofen ABZW Glemmtal and Miashofen Atzing, you can use these stops for the 680 up to Saalbach,I would check with the hotel which stop is best especially on catching the 680 up to Saalbach as it goes to the Station at Maishofen before going up to Saalbach, so it might make more sense to take the 680 from ABZW.

The 680 is the local bus and the last one out of Saalbach is around 7.15pm, there is a bus called the night liner which run for the floodlit skiing in Hinterglem , however there don't seem to be any details at the moment on teh Saalbach Tourist site.https://fahrplan.salzburg-verkehr.at/?language=en

From the Victoria to Big Time is about a 10 - 15 minute walk.

If you wanted a break from the hotel Cafe Karin is good, drink or food, don't be put off that its adjoining the petrol station.

Picnic areas, it's not something we have done a lot of, we have bought sandwiches from MPreis and eaten on the slopes, there is one lift station Polten 8 that has a room for you to eat in, I'm going to post your question on the Saalbach thread, hopefully get a better answer .
ski holidays
@radar, I see, that explains why you are so knowledgeable about this area! Thanks for the tip about the Salzburg Verkehr app, have downloaded it now. It's great that there is a local bus, Regionalbus 260, that goes from Salzburg airport to Maishofen and the surrounding ski resorts. It doesn't go very often though, so we will need to hang around a bit at the airport and in Maishofen (perhaps in Cafe Karin - thanks for the recommendation) on the arrival and departure days. It's great that it's possible to get around the whole area on the buses. I get the impression that it's more affordable to buy food and drinks on the slopes in Saalbach and Zell am See, compared with in the big resorts in France and Switzerland, so perhaps picnic rooms aren't as needed here. Would you say this is true? Happy to receive any recommendations for affordable and good places to have lunch on the slopes in Saalbach and Schmitten/Zell am See.
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, it’s definitely a lot cheaper than France and Switzerland! The toilets are better too

There is an alternative to the 260 bus , this is from the Saalbach thread,

“Use this link to book the shared shuttle or a private transfer https://www.gasteintaxi.com/en/services/airport-transfer/.

It costs more , not sure if they do childrens rates.

I did something on Restaurants on the Saalbach thread, though Tatmantours has a guide covering most of them, senf him a DM
ski holidays
@Motherofthree, you will find food and drink up the mountain in Saalbach much cheaper than France, that together with the lack of queues is why I havnt been back to France since ‘finding’ Austria. Suggest you go onto the Saalbach , unofficial, official thread, link further up this trail from @radar and loads of info will be on there or appear on there as the season approaches and starts. Tatmantours can give you his comprehensive guide as mentioned by @radar
latest report
@radar, Sounds great that it's cheaper and has better toilets than in France and Switzerland, where we have been before! This will be our first trip to Austria. I think we prefer to take the 260 bus from Salzburg airport as that's considerably cheaper than taking a private taxi for 5 people, but thanks for the recommendation anyway. I will have a read through the Saalbach thread later on.
ski holidays
@ribblevalleyblue, Amazing, thanks for the info. This will be our first trip to Austria and I have a feeling we will like it!
latest report
@Motherofthree, one of the mountain restaurants has a lift to the toilet!

Several lifts have heated seats as well as canopies and the bar comes down automatically.

There are a couple of mountain restaurants that only take cash, others might have a minimum spend, many have the option of full or self service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy