Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2mm larger.... much difference

Poster: A snowHead
am looking at a new pair of boots and the usual brand i go for a they fit my feet have increased the last by 2mm, i have my boots tight (1 size smaller than my normal shoes) will a 2mm increase make much difference?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-10-22 12:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You might want to elaborate on your thread title to get some looks and decent replies? "2mm" doesnt really do much. Or ask CEM directly?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
say actress... to bishop
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do you mean the boot sole length? which isn't related to the size of the boot (the bit you put your foot in )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By using pi to 15 places, NASA have been able to achieve positional accuracy on the Voyager spacecraft of 6cm at a distance which is rapidly approaching 15 billion miles.
I suggest you demand whoever fits your boots to use 16 places next time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
no not sole length...... last, which is thought was the internals? is the last the sole length as if it was sole length then am not sure it would make any diff? or is it the same thing? ie 2mm sole length would mean 2mm larger in the boot
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Richard_Sideways, so is that a "no" then ie it will make no difference? Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@ajc2260626, of course it'll make a LOT of difference, just as long as you spend a lot of money.
I guarantee you if you put those boots on you will instantly notice the massive difference, you're feet will be pinballing around in there like you'd just tried making sweet, sweet love to the West transept of Lincoln Cathedral. Why - because you're already noticed it.

The 2mm problem isn't in your boot, never was, never will be, and they will never be right.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Length or width........ Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not brand - if you are looking to replace a specific model then if the reference size width has changed it's highly likely they've repositioned that model in their range e.g. Atomic Hawx seem to come in a wide range of width variants under sub model names.

You probably want a refit with a proper bootfitter who might recommend something else entirely. I'd think someone has to be doing a hell of a lot of skiing like back to back seasons not to benefit from a reassessment when a shell needs replacement. My experience is that shells are good 300+ days with a bit of ongoing repair to the bits stuck on and replacing liners.

Moving from a boot with a packed out liner to a 2mm wider shell with a new liner may not be noticeable at all. Doesn't mean it would be the right choice.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narrow to medium to wide is usually somewhere around 10mm total, I've had 97mm last boots that "feel" wider than my current 99mm lasts, it also depends on where the width is in relation to your foot shape. you need to try on, don't get hung up by brand, and be guided by a good bootfitter towards what is best suited for your foot and your skiing from the current season's boots from ALL brands. I'm also currently in a 26.5 boot but with other brands i can get into a 25.5 comfortably.....
Go get a fitting from a reputable bootfitter - plenty of recommendations on here
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anarchicsaltire wrote:
Length or width........ Madeye-Smiley

Or height…

Or maybe it’s 1mm in length and 1mm in height??? That would also make it 2mm “larger”! Toofy Grin snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Surely a second pair of socks will do it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ajc2260626 wrote:
am looking at a new pair of boots and the usual brand i go for a they fit my feet have increased the last by 2mm, i have my boots tight (1 size smaller than my normal shoes) will a 2mm increase make much difference?

If your correct last is 100mm in that model you probably don’t want a version that has a last of 102mm. Although if it’s just the forfoot and the heel pocket is the same you might get away with it.

I would at least send a message to the manufacturer with the previous and proposed model asking their opinion on how the fit of the new boot is different.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i buy them direct as i get 60% off rrp and have then have them tweaked which has worked out well in the past, thanks for all the input
snow conditions
@BobinCH, yep done that just waiting for them to come back to me..... old last was 98 so narrow, but i need a slightly stiffer flex and in the stiffer flex they are 100
ski holidays
If they are too wide, it's hard (impossible) to make them narrower. If they're too narrow, it's easy to make them wider. mm's do matter in bootfitting.
latest report
clip your toenails Toofy Grin
latest report
@ajc2260626, what ridiculously soft flex were you in if you are stiffening up to a nominal 100? IMHO grown adults should typically be starting out at 100.

Also, if boot is wider what else has changed? Is it even the same model?
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@ajc2260626, what ridiculously soft flex were you in if you are stiffening up to a nominal 100? IMHO grown adults should typically be starting out at 100.

Also, if boot is wider what else has changed? Is it even the same model?

rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
@under a new name, old flex is 120 I need 130……. The Last has increased from 98 to 100 which means in theory they’ve gone from narrow to medium, Salomon shape / pattern has always suited my foot but the increase in last is a concern….. so not 100 flex but 100 width
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@BobinCH, Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled

Last is not the same as flex!
latest report
@BobinCH, @ajc2260626, ahhhh, that wasn't clear (it's still not ha ha). See what you mean now. But question on what else has changed remains ... anyway, assuming nothing else has, you won't notice the 2mm, I don't think.
snow report
I am aware of that, clearly I’m not being clear……. The new Salomon boot that has the flex I need (130) has increased the last from 98 to 100 and my concern is that this increase in last may make the boot to big…….. does this now make sense?
snow report
ajc2260626 wrote:
I am aware of that, clearly I’m not being clear……. The new Salomon boot that has the flex I need (130) has increased the last from 98 to 100 and my concern is that this increase in last may make the boot to big…….. does this now make sense?

Yes, and personally I think that's likely to be noticeable.
snow conditions
@under a new name, @BobinCH, apologies for being a bit back to front? So we think that I could get away with a 2mm increase…… I did think about taking a punt on the Atomic’s as they still have a narrow boot in 130 but I’ve never worn Atomic’s…..
snow conditions
ajc2260626 wrote:
@under a new name, @BobinCH, apologies for being a bit back to front? So we think that I could get away with a 2mm increase…… I did think about taking a punt on the Atomic’s as they still have a narrow boot in 130 but I’ve never worn Atomic’s…..

It seems a bit strange to me. Usually you would think a more “performance” oriented boot would have a smaller last to ensure a tight fit and let a fitter blow out any pressure points.

I would want to understand from the manufacturer why the same model? in a stiffer flex has a bigger last. And importantly whether the heel pocket is different as IMO this is the area you don’t want any play.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@BobinCH, exactly that. And many mfrs 130 boots also come in lower volume models. So buy that an dhave them enlarged where needed, if at all.
latest report
ajc2260626 wrote:

I wouldn’t take a punt on a boot you’ve never tried unless you can return it. I’ve tried on boots and immediately known they would never work for me
snow report
My thoughts precisely, v odd how they have gone larger in the last. I will call them today again and ask if anyone can tell me why they have done it
snow report
@ajc2260626, (@BobinCH,) I'm also rather surprised - if you are buying directly from mfr or disti - that they don't have someone who can advise, rather than asking random fools in the interwebs?
snow report
@ajc2260626, isn't it simpler to just go to a decent bootfitter and let them work out which boot is right for you? Even if Salomon reply, it'll be a generic reply not one specific to your feet. If the extra width is only somewhere where it doesn't matter, or you need a stretch anyway, you'll be fine - but what are the chances of that?
snow conditions
It would but if I buy them direct like I always have after having the initial pair fitted etc, it costs me approximately 50% inc fitting etc. so I think I will take a punt and if no good I will stick on fleabay. I think to potentially save £300 it’s worth a punt
ski holidays
@under a new name, they do have people on the phone but not huge knowledge
ski holidays
@ajc2260626, Surely if it is a different flex, and a different last, and a different model year, it's a different boot?
If it's a different boot you really have very little idea as to whether it will fit well.
latest report
@RobinS, exactly.

@ajc2260626, is it a uk distributor? rather surprised they don't have or can't find the knowledge.
snow report
Direct with manufacturer….
snow report
@RobinS, I agree
snow conditions
@ajc2260626, what Salomon model is it? S/max, s/pro?

Seems highly unlikely a manufacturer would significantly change a boot model from 1 year to the next as this would just confuse their customers. Maybe offer LV / HV options but for a major change they would come up with a new model IMO.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy