Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar London to Lyon Feb half term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Just wondering if anyone knows how far ahead Eurostar is likely to release tickets from St Pancras to Lyon St Exupery? For Feb half term, I've been trying their online for weeks and there is nothing being added after 1/2 Jan 23.

It has to be Eurostar because I'm using up Eurostar exchanged tickets from a trip to friends in Albertville, skiing nearby, that was postponed this year due to covid.

Weirdly, however, you can already book Eurostar from London>Gare du Nord in Feb half-term already. I could also already book onward via raileurope from Gare De Lyon to Lyon St Exupery 11 Feb>19 Feb. So there are tickets available, just not via Eurostar.

The problem with this scheme is that if I booked the TGV part of the journey via raileurope I'd lose loads of money because Eurostar doesn't refund you any portion of the ticket value you don't use.

I haven't managed to get Eurostar to answer the phone and their email service responded by saying they could see the tickets are available their end so they don't know what the problem is (thanks).

Sorry, long question but it's very frustrating...

Thanks!

L
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does Eurostar still go from St Pancras to Lyon? The Eurostar website makes it look like that train now connects in Paris, and the Paris to Lyon leg is run by SNCF.

Reportedly (via Snowcarbon) SNCF will start selling train tickets for dates between 3 Jan and 26 March 2023 on the morning of 9 Nov (next Wednesday). So if indeed Eurostar is selling you an SNCF ticket, I would expect it to be available next Wednesday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not aware of any Eurostar service direct from London to Lyon. You might be thinking of the Travelski Express service direct to the Tarentaise?
https://www.uk.travelski.com/travelski-express

FWIW SNCF trains from 02 January onwards go on sale from 09 November (although I have managed to buy one Moutiers-Paris already for just EUR37...)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BaobabPowder, only some of the Paris to Lyon trains are available to book. The Ouigo (the Ryanair of the TGV world) are available to book, but not the Inoui.

Ouigo can only be booked direct through SNCF and a couple of resellers, which don't include Eurostar.

You can see the timetable for the Inoui on the SNCF website if you search for itineraries. As others have said, I believe the tickets are released 9th Nov for that period.

(I've booked the Eurostar and SNCF sections separately, as you seem to get more options and avoid issues like this.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks all, that's really helpful.

There's not a direct service, you change in Paris from GdN to GdL. But I did originally buy the whole journey from Eurostar – @sugarmoma666, you're right I won't do that again. Thanks @diaphon, I'll check back on 9 Nov. Hopefully I can get the SNCF ticket then. Phew!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
iainm wrote:
FWIW SNCF trains from 02 January onwards go on sale from 09 November (although I have managed to buy one Moutiers-Paris already for just EUR37...)

In fact from your Facebook post it looks like you got it for EUR27 - fantastic deal, well done! Good to know that such things are possible, I love travelling by train particularly when skiing. Rock up just a little while before the train leaves, put your skis in a luggage area or on a rack, sit back and enjoy the view. It's a shame that things have gotten so complicated with tickets and schedules, but it's still so much nicer than flying.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BaobabPowder, from what I can see, all that Eurostar do is aggregate their fare with the SNCF one. You can probably always get it cheaper by purchasing separately and then having the appropriate railcard for the SNCF bit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@iainm, presumably that's on the Ouigo?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
diaphon wrote:
iainm wrote:

In fact from your Facebook post it looks like you got it for EUR27 - fantastic deal, well done! Good to know that such things are possible, I love travelling by train particularly when skiing. Rock up just a little while before the train leaves, put your skis in a luggage area or on a rack, sit back and enjoy the view. It's a shame that things have gotten so complicated with tickets and schedules, but it's still so much nicer than flying.

So it is! Even better than I thought. The only Paris-Moutiers train from OuiGo at that time left early from Paris (before I could get there from LSP), but you could stay over the night before and with the savings from a fare like this
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@iainm, my recollection is that if you get in early the fares on the Inoui aren't much more. I've got a figure if EUR41 in my head.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
diaphon wrote:
Reportedly (via Snowcarbon) SNCF will start selling train tickets for dates between 3 Jan and 26 March 2023 on the morning of 9 Nov (next Wednesday). So if indeed Eurostar is selling you an SNCF ticket, I would expect it to be available next Wednesday.

Phew, thanks all. The Eurostar tickets have indeed gone live and I've managed to get the booking altered for half-term. Won't go via Eurostar again. Snowheads saved the day of course.

Ta!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy