Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season in tignes

Poster: A snowHead
Sadly not for me but my son who has been lucky enough to secure a job who will sponsor visa. Just want to make sure he has got his costings right and the unknown is accommodation costs. What do seasonnaires see as their costs over a season over and above rent. I know the lift pass is 600 euros if working in resort. He will need to buy boots but will buy that there. I will give him a pair of piste all mountain skis.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dan100, I'm not sure on the going rates for seasonnaire accom, it will depend a lot on how many are crammed into the apartment (legally or illegally), the standard of the apartment and the availability. I would be asking his employer today what arrangements they have as I suspect it may well be very late in the day to start looking given the shortages.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dan100 wrote:
Sadly not for me but my son who has been lucky enough to secure a job who will sponsor visa. Just want to make sure he has got his costings right and the unknown is accommodation costs. What do seasonnaires see as their costs over a season over and above rent. I know the lift pass is 600 euros if working in resort. He will need to buy boots but will buy that there. I will give him a pair of piste all mountain skis.

Has his employer guaranteed him a discounted lift-pass?
How much does he drink?
How many meals a day will he have to provide for himself?
Would he be looking for days out in other resorts?

His problem with accommodation will not be the cost, but actually finding some. Sad

He could try asking on the Facebook groups 'Tignes Seasonnaires' and 'Tignes Seasonnaies 2023' for accommodation where he'll soon spot plenty of people in the same boat, and plenty more looking for work too. At the very least he might be able to form a group to rent somewhere.
Warning - having more than 3 people in a typical 20m square '4 person' apartment for a season could easily mean one or more being found behind the Home Club when the snow melts on May. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi he is working in a ski shop so don’t anticipate any meals. He eats like a horse but is veggie which will be challenging in France. Yes he gets a discounted pass as he is a resort worker. He does drink but isn’t stupid and it’s rare at the minute but suspect while he is away that may change . Thinks he has joined those links already.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dan100 wrote:
Hi he is working in a ski shop so don’t anticipate any meals.

He's going without food? Puzzled Shocked
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Bergmeister wrote:
dan100 wrote:
Hi he is working in a ski shop so don’t anticipate any meals.

He's going without food? Puzzled Shocked

Errr, op just means ski shop won’t be doing staff meals
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kenzie wrote:
dan100 wrote:

Has his employer guaranteed him a discounted lift-pass?
How much does he drink?
How many meals a day will he have to provide for himself?
Would he be looking for days out in other resorts?

His problem with accommodation will not be the cost, but actually finding some. Sad

He could try asking on the Facebook groups 'Tignes Seasonnaires' and 'Tignes Seasonnaies 2023' for accommodation where he'll soon spot plenty of people in the same boat, and plenty more looking for work too. At the very least he might be able to form a group to rent somewhere.
Warning - having more than 3 people in a typical 20m square '4 person' apartment for a season could easily mean one or more being found behind the Home Club when the snow melts on May. snowHead

How much he drinks, eats and whether he travels to other resorts will be determined by how much spare cash he has won't it. Seasonnaires get by on breadcrumbs so it's a great way to learn frugality and inventive ways of saving money/not buying things you don't need.

Daft example but a couple of lads I know used to have a rule where every time they had a shower, they had to take in some washing up..
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
When my son did a season in Val d'Isere he shared a tiny but very expensive apartment with a British ski instructor and when they were hard up they slept under the table and rented out the "coin montagne" bunk bedroom. One night, in the snow, they ended up with an extra half dozen homeless vagrant skiers, all of whom paid something. Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think he will be lucky if his pay covers his accommodation/living costs in Tignes (If he has to find his own accommodation)
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@dan100,
I would estimate a weekly budget of £200 for the basics - food, entertainment, kit replacement, sundries. If (let's not kid ourselves When) he starts going off-piste then he"s going to have to include the cost of avalanche kit.
His problem would be his up front costs ie those to be paid before or on arrival in Tignes - accommodation, ski insurance with off-piste (I'd recommend also getting the Carte Neige), lift pass (assume for budget purposes he'll be paying the full price), travel to Tignes, and if he takes a car, parking.
A guide to season rent prices here:-
tignes-spirit.com/flats/seasonal_apartments
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
And a post just popped up on Facebook:-
Johan Van Hengel has advertised Nov to May aparment(s) in Val Claret on Tignes Seasonaires 2023 group page. I think he works for one of the locals estate agents. Phone no quoted:- 0635490845

Bet they go fast - I reckon I've seen 2 dozen posts on Facebook looking for season accommodation in Tignes since the start of October!

Spotted another one on the Seasonaires Val D'Isere or Tignes group:- For rent, furnished studio, renovated, sleeping 2 people (a double bed), 500m center Tignes lac, in the month of December 1 to April 30 or the week. Posted by Nini Nicalamity
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clare@chaletchardons.com has posted some Tignes season accommodation on Facebook
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi he’s sorted now 4 ina one bedroom with double bunks and a decent living area albeit bathroom looks a little ropey with just a shower with shower curtain. Now as a veggie he has to learn to survive on Sherpa food.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dan100 wrote:
Hi he’s sorted now 4 ina one bedroom with double bunks and a decent living area albeit bathroom looks a little ropey with just a shower with shower curtain. Now as a veggie he has to learn to survive on Sherpa food.

I did four seasons in Tignes as a veggie, so it's doable. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@dan100, There's plenty of veg and fruit in all the supermarkets, if a bit pricy. Canned pulses are also a lot more expensive than in Bourg, so if he gets a trip down there it would be a good idea to stock up.

There's also a good market in Lac Thurs and Suns with a big veg stall.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@dan100, There's plenty of veg and fruit in all the supermarkets, if a bit pricy. Canned pulses are also a lot more expensive than in Bourg, so if he gets a trip down there it would be a good idea to stock up.

There's also a good market in Lac Thurs and Suns with a big veg stall.

But if 4 pax in a seasonnaire squat there won't be much spare storage space.
latest report
dan100 wrote:
Now as a veggie he has to learn to survive on Sherpa food.

The Carrefour on Rue de la Poste was a lot cheaper and better than Sherpa the last time I was in Tignes.
latest report
rjs wrote:
dan100 wrote:
Now as a veggie he has to learn to survive on Sherpa food.

The Carrefour on Rue de la Poste was a lot cheaper and better than Sherpa the last time I was in Tignes.

Sherpa in Val Claret has been totally renovated last season and is a super little shop … hasn’t changed how expensive it is though (unless the renovations have made it even more expensive)
snow report
Quote:

Sherpa in Val Claret

There are two. "Upper" Sherpa is now rather splendid as @Grinning explains. "Lower" Sherpa was still rather down at heel last winter, but very friendly staff.

If you have the time, it's worth comparing prices across all the Tignes supermarkets and doing a series of 'tactical' shops. I compared prices a few years ago using a random sample of life's essentials (beer, chocolate and crisps) and discovered that it was worth shopping around.
snow conditions
Will leave it to him. He is in Levachet so will need to work out what’s the best option. I suspect having the Sherpa on your doorstep might prove very tempting.
snow report
@dan100, Sherpa in Lavachet is usually reasonably well stocked given the size of the shop. I'm usually based in Lavachet myself, but if I need more than a few food items, I will general head to the Carrefour Montagne store in Le Lac. That said, any savings I make will be more than offset by the obligatory pitstop in the Jam Bar across the road. Confused
ski holidays
dan100 wrote:
Will leave it to him. He is in Levachet so will need to work out what’s the best option. I suspect having the Sherpa on your doorstep might prove very tempting.

Lavachet? Seasonnaire Towers?
And does he know what Lavachet translates as from the local language?

He'll be fine - live on pasta 'til you come out to visit, then get you to stock him up for the rest of the season. Toofy Grin Though pasta takes approx 20 mins to boil at 2100m.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy