Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
hang11 wrote:
Currently in myoko. Never seen snow come down like it. Bottomless powder of the blowy variety with resets all day.

Great fun but a pita digging the car out all the time

Also tried horse sashimi. Tasted ok

Excellent

Same on Hokkaido, been a great 2023 so far
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hey folks! Just joined the forum and this is my first post!

I have the Ikon pass and am currently planning a trip to Niseko for the last half of March and I am not much of a typer but I wanted to say that this thread has been one of the best/most helpful threads I have ever read.

Thank you everyone for all the helpful information!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Do you know if next year is likely to be el nino and if it will affect the snow fall? Planning a trip in the next two years and want to make sure it is a good one
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Christopher,

Book it - make sure anything you book in cancelable.
Leave flights if need to.
Ive booked a hotel nieseko for £1500 this far out.
I will play the game. Find it cheaper, find it nearer the slopes/Apres.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mike Pow, How's the snow and skiing been for the second half of the season out there?

I enjoyed my Hokkaido trip this year, as usual. But having had some time for reflection since I returned, I think for me personally I found it very (mentally) tiring and low mood-inducing seeing almost everyone walking around in masks for 1 month. I felt a sense of anxiety/unease with a constant feeling of "should I be wearing a mask? Are people judging me?" etc (in general I wore a mask inside, but not outside) and I found it harder to interact with people. I find it hard to have a conversation/build rapport with someone wearing a mask, and felt a general sense of isolation and disconnection from the general public and service workers without seeing their faces day after day. It affected me quite a bit after a while and I felt a surprisingly big sense of relief, normality and lifted mood when I was back in Europe and seeing people smile again.

I found the short-ish period of masking in the UK to be fine by comparison - Japan in February 2023 was much, much more masked than the UK was at any point during the past 3 years...!

So I think a potential trip for me next year might depend on what happens with the masking situation - whether it's a permanent cultural shift like some people have speculated, or whether the general public will gradually dispense with them now that the guidelines have shifted to personal responsibility and after COVID's status is downgraded in May. I'd estimate pre-COVID you might see 5% to 10% of people walking the streets of Sapporo with a mask on for whatever reason, but during my trip this year it was more like 95%.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
musehead wrote:
@Mike Pow, How's the snow and skiing been for the second half of the season out there?

I enjoyed my Hokkaido trip this year, as usual. But having had some time for reflection since I returned, I think for me personally I found it very (mentally) tiring and low mood-inducing seeing almost everyone walking around in masks for 1 month. I felt a sense of anxiety/unease with a constant feeling of "should I be wearing a mask? Are people judging me?" etc (in general I wore a mask inside, but not outside) and I found it harder to interact with people. I find it hard to have a conversation/build rapport with someone wearing a mask, and felt a general sense of isolation and disconnection from the general public and service workers without seeing their faces day after day. It affected me quite a bit after a while and I felt a surprisingly big sense of relief, normality and lifted mood when I was back in Europe and seeing people smile again.

I found the short-ish period of masking in the UK to be fine by comparison - Japan in February 2023 was much, much more masked than the UK was at any point during the past 3 years...!

So I think a potential trip for me next year might depend on what happens with the masking situation - whether it's a permanent cultural shift like some people have speculated, or whether the general public will gradually dispense with them now that the guidelines have shifted to personal responsibility and after COVID's status is downgraded in May. I'd estimate pre-COVID you might see 5% to 10% of people walking the streets of Sapporo with a mask on for whatever reason, but during my trip this year it was more like 95%.

January and February were excellent

I left on 28 Feb

March has been uncharacteristically dry with only two snow events to date

Normally you can expect 2-3 a week

Spring skiing and touring has been excellent by all accounts

I and my friends ignored the mask wearing, it was only a recommendation not law

The shops and restaurants which insisted upon it did not receive my custom

Thankfully Japan has brought forward the choice to wear masks or not

Still lots of people wearing them but it won't be long before it's consigned to history

At least in the Niseko Resort Area
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@musehead, my moto - “when in Rome, do as the Romans do” - people appreciate visitors’ consideration of their way of going about daily life

Edit: most of my encounters and discussions with locals were in onsens where no masks are needed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hang11 wrote:

Also tried horse sashimi. Tasted ok

I tried that ... gave me the trots
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
I tried that ... gave me the trots
Naaaayyy lad? wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's not my photo, I don't know where or when it was taken or indeed by whom. It was titled "Heavy snow in Hokkaido". I liked the image, so thought I'd post it here.

snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rogg wrote:
It's not my photo, I don't know where or when it was taken or indeed by whom. It was titled "Heavy snow in Hokkaido". I liked the image, so thought I'd post it here....

1st Jan 2021 in Hokkaido Toofy Grin
https://twitter.com/TAK17246558/status/1344990307599859715
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Follow @eiji_ohashi_photographer on Insta, he posts really great pics of vending machines/phoneboxes etc in the snow

March seemed mega warm across most of Japan. I was in Nagano (skiing Nozawa Onsen and Hakuba) in the middle of the month. It was mid teens centigrade most days for us. We were lucky to have sunshine - the scenery down there is incredible so the views were fantastic. It would've been a bit miserable if overcast or rainy. Tokyo felt very spring like.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all just wondering if anyone has ever used Sapporo as a base? We are heading out next January and are keen to try some smaller resorts and maybe do a two centre trip. I’m not too fussed about Niseko but wondered about staying in Sapporo for first half and then on to Kiroro or visa versa. Any ideas welcome snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Guernseyfreerider,

Depends what you are after. Instead of Sapporo I would suggest a nearby Otaru (local hill Tenguyama, Asari and then Kiroro is circa 25 min drive away). Then a second base Furano possibly.

Niseko also has quieter satellites like Moiwa or Hanazono. Rusutsu is possibly my fav place. So a couple of days in/around Niseko is not too bad.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mooney058 wrote:
@Guernseyfreerider,

Depends what you are after. Instead of Sapporo I would suggest a nearby Otaru (local hill Tenguyama, Asari and then Kiroro is circa 25 min drive away). Then a second base Furano possibly.

Niseko also has quieter satellites like Moiwa or Hanazono. Rusutsu is possibly my fav place. So a couple of days in/around Niseko is not too bad.

And don't forget Sapporo Kokusai and Sapporo Teine are both around 30 mins drive from Otaru

Otaru really is a great base if you're happy traveling to the mountains each morning

Lots more to do in the evenings - cinema, ten pin bowling, brewery, glass blowing, along with restaurants and bars

And all at a fraction of the price of the Niseko Resort Area

Similarly, I'd base myself out of Asahikawa in central Hokkaido for a small city feel with excellent resort access

Within an hour's drive you have Kamui, Pippu, Furano

90 mins Asahidake, Tomamu, Mt Racey
ski holidays
@Guernseyfreerider, yes.

It's a good base, lots of of accessible spots. Nice city, good food.

Otaru good too.
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
Hi all just wondering if anyone has ever used Sapporo as a base? We are heading out next January and are keen to try some smaller resorts and maybe do a two centre trip. I’m not too fussed about Niseko but wondered about staying in Sapporo for first half and then on to Kiroro or visa versa. Any ideas welcome snowHead

Yes, my last few trips I've used Otaru, Sapporo and Furano as a base (all 3 on each trip). The resorts accessible from Otaru are mostly the same that are accessible from Sapporo, given they are not far apart, so you wouldn't necessarily need to use them both as a base - I personally just enjoy staying in both Sapporo and Otaru. You have to be willing to drive 30 minutes to 1.5 hours to your choice of resort each day though. There's also some good ski touring routes you can drive to from both.

I don't think there's much point staying at Kiroro if you're willing to use somewhere as a base and travel - you can already access Kiroro easily from Otaru (and Sapporo with a bit more driving).
ski holidays
rungsp wrote:
@Guernseyfreerider, yes.

It's a good base, lots of of accessible spots. Nice city, good food.

Otaru good too.

Good whiskey tour too Wink
snow report
From both Otaru and Saporro there are bus companies that run day trips.to lots of the nearby places.
The bus picks up and drops off at all the main hotels.
It makes things very easy...no car required.
ski holidays
Hi Japan experts, if you had the choice of a Japan trip (probably Sapporo) on the first week of January or last week-Feb/first week-March, which would you choose? Tied to those two options with school holidays. Thanks!
latest report
@Themasterpiece, I've only been twice, both times to Hokkaido and both in January too. I'm no expert but I think the gist would be: January colder and snowier, Feb slightly less snowy, slightly more warm.I guess I've been twice in January and been absolutely delighted, it would be my pick.
ski holidays
@Themasterpiece, do not have it at hand now but when preparing my 2018 and 2020 trips I checked AUS school holidays and Chinese NY calendars. Relevant for the crowds and price levels
snow report
Re prices....bit of a tangent. I've skied in Japan twice over past 10 years and both times seemed that most things were good value (each trip saw rate of 140 yen to the £). If you like certainty, current rate of 165 Yen per £ suggests not a bad time at all to be buying some Yen. Plus the notes are fab.
ski holidays
Highlights of the 2022/23 Season

January & February 2023
Hokkaido, Japan
51 days

https://www.instagram.com/p/CoGBvMmB-aF/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CoVkXeVB5ev/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Co5jSFMBKt0/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpCZQubBRi4/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CpXMor0DuRK/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cpwnxt_Dgw_/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp8HimojIr2/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp9cMFFDTvs/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqAyPKSjFr6/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqC8WdtjBD5/
snow report
Sad news out of Niseko

Mick Nippard, of Mick's Wine Bar, passed away yesterday

Had been battling with cancer for almost as long as I've know him

RIP mate

Keep dancing & drinking
snow conditions
Bitten the bullet and booked flights, second week of January - looking forward to flying on ANA. Just waiting for itinerary but looks like we are going for Otaru and Furano as bases and a cheeky night out in Tokyo on the way! Thanks for recommendations on here snowHead
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
Bitten the bullet and booked flights, second week of January - looking forward to flying on ANA. Just waiting for itinerary but looks like we are going for Otaru and Furano as bases and a cheeky night out in Tokyo on the way! Thanks for recommendations on here snowHead

Did you choose that week because it avoids busy holiday weeks? Any idea about the week after?
snow conditions
@BobinCH, I think Australia Day and Chinese new year might be around then? (possibly slightly after if he's there for a week only)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rogg wrote:
@BobinCH, I think Australia Day and Chinese new year might be around then? (possibly slightly after if he's there for a week only)

Chinese New Year is Feb 10th this year so I’m aiming for mid-Jan rather than Feb. Hoping to chase the pow which means last minute accom so keen to avoid the busiest weeks
latest report
@BobinCH,

We’ve booked Otaru and Furano now and using them as bases to try and chase the snow in smaller resorts if possible. Trying to avoid the crowds by going at that time is definitely a factor but also we went too late the only other time I’ve been so there’s an element of unfinished business snowHead
ski holidays
2nd week of January is still Australia / New Zealand school half term.
Australian Capital Territory: 16 December 2023 to 28 January 2024
New South Wales: 20 December 2023 to 29 January 2024
Northern Territory: 16 December 2023 to 29 January 2024
Queensland: 9 December 2023 to 21 January 2024
South Australia: 16 December 2023 to 28 January 2024
Tasmania: 22 December 2023 to 6 February 2024
Victoria: 21 December 2023 to 28 January 2024
Western Australia: 15 December 2023 to 30 January 2024

Chinese New Year is Feb 10th.
So I booked 27th Jan-3rd Feb snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
My hotel is currently charging £750 a night Shocked . Good job I booked it when it was not confirmed if Japan would be open for £1500 for the week!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy