Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko Snow Reports

Poster: A snowHead
mountainaddict wrote:
A general query, if I may, for the Japan travel experts.

We land in Tokyo on Sun 5th Feb and have 95 mins before our onward flight to Sapporo.

Despite a single booking with Lufthansa from Manchester to Sapporo, they have been unable to add our ski bag to the Tokyo > Sapporo flight with ANA. We will therefore need to collect the bag and check it in with ANA in Tokyo rolling eyes

Does that, and the need to clear immigration, mean we will have any chance of making the connection to Sapporo? We have completed the online travel, covid etc documentation on Visit Japan Web, so that will hopefully save a bit of time.

It happened to me with ANA in 2018. I had 80 min for that and it was OK. The direct Helsinki-Sapporo flight in 2020 avoided this.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We had a similar problem when looking to book flights in 2020 but with the return flights, only Finnair would guarantee our baggage on the return journey from Sapporo which we thought was a bit weird. If you are flying from Newcastle hope you have plenty of time for changing planes, our flight from Edinburgh was an hour late which meant we missed the Helsinki flight, ended up with a BA flight via Seoul which was different but at least we still arrived on the Sunday.
@ChrisP3, We started in Kyoto then Shiga Kogen for five days, Tokyo for a couple of days then flew north for five days skiing in Niseko before flying home.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers both.

We're flying MAN > Frankfurt > Tokyo. We have 4hrs in Frankfurt, so should be ok.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry for thread drift but to get to and from Furano for a weekend from Chitose is a rental car the best option? Bus seems to take circa 4 hours so no good for last flight out on Sunday (20:55).
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
Sorry for thread drift but to get to and from Furano for a weekend from Chitose is a rental car the best option? Bus seems to take circa 4 hours so no good for last flight out on Sunday (20:55).

I drove that stretch in a hire car in snow conditions. Took circa 2.5-3 hours from memory. Bus should be similar.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mooney058 wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I drove that stretch in a hire car in snow conditions. Took circa 2.5-3 hours from memory. Bus should be similar.

This is what Google is saying
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@BobinCH, there are several options/roads from the memory. I followed car’s gps instructions. On a highway stretch busses were overtaking me (does not happen very often). Speed on local roads was limited, but heavyish snow meant I was going slower than a limit.
2.5 hours by a car should be doable (not a complicated drive) if no heavy snow
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mooney058 wrote:
@BobinCH, there are several options/roads from the memory. I followed car’s gps instructions. On a highway stretch busses were overtaking me (does not happen very often). Speed on local roads was limited, but heavyish snow meant I was going slower than a limit.

Thanks. Sounds like the way to go to max the time there. Trust every rental car in Hokkaido must be winter ready?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BobinCH wrote:
mooney058 wrote:

Thanks. Sounds like the way to go to max the time there. Trust every rental car in Hokkaido must be winter ready?

They all are. In 2020 went with TooCo! which was circa 5 min by a shuttle from Chitose airport (they do come to pick/drop you off)

Ed: the beauty parked next to Hanazono, can fit 188 long skis with one driver

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 23-01-23 22:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
When we were there to find your destination address you just input its phone number into the satnav....avoids all language complications.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, I'd also go with car hire as it gives you maximum flexibility and peace of mind, plus probably a bit faster than bus or train options. It's an easy drive. I prefer to use Google maps on my phone for navigation rather than the inbuilt car system.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monday 22 January 2023

14cm New Snow

Fantastic day in Rusutsu

Deserted

Fresh tracks all day

Knee deep with the occasional face shot

Tuesday 23 January 2023

14cm New Snow

Deep day at Moiwa

Got tracked out pretty quickly but there were plenty of untracked lines to be had all morning

River run out is a little Fitzwilliam this year
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For those in town, my 'office' is in 'The Local' bar at the Explore Niseko building

If anyone fancies a chat / needs any advice, I'm there most evenings

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Explore+Niseko/@42.8590801,140.7041434,20z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x5f0ab00df27a0149:0x374ed900064f6722!8m2!3d42.8593365!4d140.7045619
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well it's been a couple of crazy days in Niseko. The huge storm we were waiting for arrived with a vengeance... thankfully the worst has past and brilliant conditions with low wind and lots of snow are expected the rest of the week!

https://japanskiexperience.com/category/niseko-snow-report/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was preparing for the worst when my BA flight to Tokyo was delayed by 4 hours yesterday. However, all went much better than expected...

1) BA flight delayed by 4.5 hours due to a technical problem, so I'll be due £520 in UK261 compensation.

2) Super quick through immigration and customs in Haneda - no queues at all. The new electronic customs system is a bit confusing and disorganised though.

3) I missed my flight to Sapporo (booked separately on JAL using Avios) but they kindly rebooked me for free on the next available flight, which was departing only 40 minutes after I arrived at the domestic terminal.

4) In the end, landed at Sapporo only 2 hours later than planned due to very little hanging around at Haneda.

5) Picking up rental car was very smooth and I made it to Furano in one piece!
latest report
@musehead, hope the snow is as good as it is here. I saw the sun for the first time in about four days today. Lasted for about three minutes and then it was back to snowing, which I think it has done pretty constantly since my last report. Great day out at Pars Powder Paradise, so whoever recommended it, thanks.
ski holidays
musehead wrote:

3) I missed my flight to Sapporo (booked separately on JAL using Avios) but they kindly rebooked me for free on the next available flight, which was departing only 40 minutes after I arrived at the domestic terminal.

5) Picking up rental car was very smooth and I made it to Furano in one piece!

Avios booking via BA site or is there an easier way? And May I ask who you booked the car hire through - my first 2 attempts resulted in no cars available Sad
ski holidays
@rogg, Hope so!! If not, I'll be in Sapporo from Monday anyway so I'll be heading over to Kiroro, Kokusai etc which I think have had more snow than Furano.

@BobinCH, Booked using Avios via the BA site.

My car rental was booked with Toyota car rental Japan. They are competitive for longer rentals (I'm renting for 4 weeks). Are you trying to book far in advance? I find it best to book a car maybe 2-3 months in advance in Japan.

Tabirai and Tocoo are two Japanese car rental comparison sites. I've also used budget rent a car Japan (direct) before.
snow conditions
@musehead, Alas last minute booking
ski holidays
More snow last night. Bluebird morning. Headed to Rustsu and had a ball East mountain was deep and fresh first thing. Some cloud cover appeared around lunchtime. Started snowing somewhere around 5. Forecast is for snow.
ski holidays
I have run out of words for it has snowed a lot.

Lovely hike to the top of the hill a couple of days ago and a dream line down. Super clean light powder.

Conditions great right now. Full sun first thing but not a lot of fresh groomer carving was the order of the day. Perfect corduroy with a lovely velvety texture. It slowly clouded over around lunchtime and has snowed all afternoon.
ski holidays
Question for the Niseko locals - we’re arriving into New Chitose airport on Friday (c.1100). What’s the best way to get from the airport to Niseko?

We’ve sent most of our luggage on, so are travelling relatively light (only one ski bag Laughing ).

TIA,
Ms T.
snow report
A bus, easy and good price

PS I am not local but had taken that bus and it worked. I had 2m long ski-bag too which was not an issue.
ski holidays
Thanks, got any links? I’ve been trying to find a timetable, but not been very successful so far.
latest report
@Mistress Twerkle, I used Hokkaido Resort Liner bus service. There were other options from memory. My flight arrived past 20.00, bus was at circa 21.30 and it was one of the few remaining late services running. If you land midday there should be more options
https://www.access-n.jp/winter2022/en/skibus/detail/101chitose_rusutsu_niseko.html
snow report
I used Hokkaido Resort Liner’s every time I went to Hokkaido, it was pre-booked before I left. They have a kiosk desk at New Chitose, you just let them know you’re arrived, and then wait for your bus to be called. You need to pay attention as often there will be 3 or 4 of their buses leaving at similar times, but they do check your name on boarding. They also load the bags based on which hotel you’re going to, so they can be unloaded in order.
snow conditions
Thanks both, I’ll have a look and see if we can book that one Smile
latest report
https://www.chuo-bus.co.jp/lang/en.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Two sleeps to go! Sapporo here we come! Very Happy

It's been snowing on Hokkaido every time I've checked since December - but this short article suggests it's been a modest season so far Puzzled
https://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/japow-is-back/
ski holidays
@rayscoops, ta Smile
snow report
Flight booked for next year. Now how the F does accommodation work! Or when exactly does it go on sale. Need to lock in dates so I can build a 3 week trip around it.
snow report
Gored wrote:
Flight booked for next year. Now how the F does accommodation work! Or when exactly does it go on sale. Need to lock in dates so I can build a 3 week trip around it.

Too early for accom booking for next year. End of summer. Esp smaller/private/owners direct do not take bookings too long in advance
ski holidays
mooney058 wrote:
Gored wrote:

Too early for accom booking for next year. End of summer. Esp smaller/private/owners direct do not take bookings too long in advance

Yep - also need to decide hire a car & stay further out for flexibility & costs. Or public transport & stay closer to the lift.
snow conditions
@Gored, I used booking.com and kept checking when property was becoming available
snow conditions
@mountainaddict, Have a fantastic time and bring lots of snow back to the UK.

Not sure if you have seen this site https://www.niseko.ne.jp/en/livecamera/
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Two sleeps to go! Sapporo here we come! Very Happy

It's been snowing on Hokkaido every time I've checked since December - but this short article suggests it's been a modest season so far Puzzled
https://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/japow-is-back/

No complaints from me

Bags of the stuff
snow report
@mountainaddict, How's the trip going with Skilas?

I've had a couple of particularly excellent days this trip - one of them being with someone who's lived in Hokkaido for 10+ years and said it was some of the best snow he's ever skied...! It was certainly among the best snow I've ever skied too. It was ski touring in a rural location, so no competition for fresh tracks.

For resorts, I've skied Rusutsu, Teine and Furano this trip, although the best days have been leg powered.
ski holidays
musehead wrote:
@mountainaddict, How's the trip going with Skilas?

I've had a couple of particularly excellent days this trip - one of them being with someone who's lived in Hokkaido for 10+ years and said it was some of the best snow he's ever skied...! It was certainly among the best snow I've ever skied too. It was ski touring in a rural location, so no competition for fresh tracks.

For resorts, I've skied Rusutsu, Teine and Furano this trip, although the best days have been leg powered.

@musehead Just curious which resort was your favorite?
snow report
Hi @musehead First off, an apology. I didn't contact you as promised. Our itinerary - all very laissez faire with Skilas as you may know - made it impossible. That and the circumstances that arose. Please see my live trip report - under, er 'Trip Reports.' wink
ski holidays
Currently in myoko. Never seen snow come down like it. Bottomless powder of the blowy variety with resets all day.

Great fun but a pita digging the car out all the time

Also tried horse sashimi. Tasted ok
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy